Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,011 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Explain please!

I've put them with the bananas.

What they need is warmth - human body temp seems ideal. As a joke, I persuaded my daughter to conduct an experiment of keeping mangos under her bed covers to keep them warm, if she wanted them to ripen more quickly. It actually ended up working incredibly well.

I have tried keeping them and avocados with bananas, even in a plastic bag with them, but I honestly don't think it works. Warmth does. Perhaps my house is too cold.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

......and leftover Christmas wine....last bottle.....Red, I know but don't care :pac::pac:

took about 15 minutes.....before kick off :)

4pCWAJnl.jpg

Yux50TXl.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

My stir fry beef was replaced with stewing beef in the online shop this week. I really didn't fancy a stew type meal, so tried this Chinese beef and broccoli recipe in the slow cooker. It was lovely!

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51806/slow-cooker-beef-broccoli-recipe/

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Carnitas. It was great but the "ripe and ready" avocados which I bought for the guac last Sunday were still rock hard and impossible to use.

That's drives me over the edge. Had fajitas with all the sides last night except guacamole for the same reason

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going through old cookbooks to find any recipes worth scanning before giving them away - keeping the A-lister name books for show :pac: and found a cheese stuffed fillet steak recipe in a "Mexican" one that has no equivalent online, most similar are sort of flank steak roulades.

Recipe is awful, technique wise, but the result - if you can figure out what the recipe hasn't told you - is good

Butterfly the steaks
    Cheese, onion, garlic and oregano 'stuffing' before folding back together - cook as you wish but remember you've got four surfaces now, so medium is probably the minimum
    Sauce for topping with is made with soft cheese, reposado tequila and seared/washed/de-seeded/sliced up long chillis
    Serve with chips.

Will probably do again with bigger steaks and better timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Beef burgers and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Comerman

Carolina reaper with black garlic wings with "condiment" on the side. Thanks for the recommendation igCorcaigh from a Kilkenny man.

PHOTO-20210227-202935.jpgfree image uploads

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Fair play I cant handle anything higher than a scotch bonnet.
    My sister cooks with the reaper..she nearly killed me once putting in some ghost and reaper powders in a chilli beef. I Must have eaten half the pot of sour cream :D

I had burger and chips

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Good on ya Comerman, I like your taste in condiments! :D
    sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Fair play I cant handle anything higher than a scotch bonnet.
    My sister cooks with the reaper..she nearly killed me once putting in some ghost and reaper powders in a chilli beef. I Must have eaten half the pot of sour cream :D

Nah, it's really not that hot at all, not a pure reaper sauce, but very tasty, worth seeking out. Tesco and Dunnes sell it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Bought one of those boned and rolled lamb legs in Aldi that were mentioned a few posts back, did it sous vide and then finished it in the oven. Had it with homemade yorkshire pudding and mash (legit thought today was a Sunday!)

IMG-20210227-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20210227-WA0016.jpgimage hosting forum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Are these boned and rolled legs a permanent fixture then?. Need to get one but weekly shop done and no freezer space if they are a limited thing. (sorry for OT question)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hauled the BBQ out today. Chicken Thigh Burgers with Loaded Potato Skins and Mango Salsa.

BB232763-B52-B-4-A8-F-B691-53137-B9-C2649.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This all looks unreal!

All I have is mushy peas with a microwaved potato and fried fish from Aldi :(

IMG-20210227-235310.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Did Chinese sticky, spicy pork hock.
    Hock is poached in stock then finished with a dark, sweet, bitter, spicy sauce. Garlic, ginger, onion, marmalade, chillies, soy sauce and spices make up the sauce.
    Tastes better than it looks.
    Served with Chinese leaves and Thai rice.

20210227-190946.jpg

https

Did Chinese sticky, spicy pork hock.
    Hock is poached in stock then finished with a dark, sweet, bitter, spicy sauce. Garlic, ginger, onion, marmalade, chillies, soy sauce and spices make up the sauce.
    Tastes better than it looks.
    Served with Chinese leaves and Thai rice./quote]

I would literally rip that to pieces with my fingers and savage it.
    It looks divine!!

We had bacon and cabbage again. My dad's birthday and it's his favourite dinner.

• Administrators Posts: 53,654 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lamb steak (Aldi super 6 this week) with garlic fried potatoes and greens (cooked in butter and garlic for added calories), with a balsamic and redcurrant sauce.

attachment.php?attachmentid=545370&d=1614540195

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Steak! Medium rare, with pepper sauce, fried onions and mashed potatoes.

I don't think I'll be able to move for another hour or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Pork belly bao buns

IMG-20210228-WA0011.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Barbecued chicken fillet with chimichurri seasoning, and veggie rice.

20210228-184504.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Well, my first ever attempt at pressing tofu was a disaster.

Applying a weight like my mortar and pestle, kept on falling off.

I was impatient, and applying pressure by pushing made my tofu collapse into bits.

Undeterred, I have stir fried tofu crumble with broccoli and mushroom on the go.

Never give up.

I read online that freezing and defrosting the block of tofu before pressing it will firm it up a bit and make pressing it easier.
    I've yet to try it, I bought a good few blocks when Lidl had them on offer, and they're all sitting in the freezer right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

triona1 wrote: »
    I just moved to donegal and I said to my partner will his daughter have rashers! He lolled and said she won't have a clue what you are offering her ������ say bacon.

My first ever shopping in Ireland ( near here in Mayo) I asked for bacon. When I unwrapped it at home? Yep. a bacon joint. I made the same mistake when, tired, I did an email shopping list out here. "bacon x 2" and there were two huge bacon joints which have languished in the freezer.

I am now very very careful what I ask for and still get interesting interpretations.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Hai, I love cabbage!

Me too! And fresh picked kale from the garden... just a little salt. Perfection.

awec wrote: »
    I think most would admit that plain boiled cabbage is just a watery bland pile of nothingness with a crappy texture.

You eat so many spices that your taste buds are....

. I never use spices.. just a little salt and cabbage has a wonderful flavour and crunch.. mmmmm! Bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭snowgal

Planet X wrote: »
    ......and leftover Christmas wine....last bottle.....Red, I know but don't care :pac::pac:

took about 15 minutes.....before kick off :)

would love the recipe for this please! ever since you posted this, Ive been wanting to make it!! thanks :)

Graces7 wrote: »
    You eat so many spices that your taste buds are....

. I never use spices.. just a little salt and cabbage has a wonderful flavour and crunch.. mmmmm! Bliss!

People who eat varied foods and spices do not have deadened palates!

People who eat varied foods and spices do not have deadened palates!

.. I did not say that . or mean it. Upset now

OK I am off!

REALLY!

Bye

Graces7 wrote: »
    .. I did not say that . or mean it. Upset now

OK I am off!

REALLY!

Bye

Oh dear, I really didn't mean to upset you Graces.
    Perhaps you could explain what you did mean and we can all get along?

Graces, I really enjoy your input on these threads.
    Please don't throw everything away just because someone questions what you said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

snowgal wrote: »
    would love the recipe for this please! ever since you posted this, Ive been wanting to make it!! thanks :)

Fish.....usually cod......3 minutes skin down, 3 minutes skin up. Put aside. Should've been cherry tomatoes but didn't have any.......chopped toms. in, sautés a bit, big handful of spinach, in, sweat it down, becomes nothing virtually, cream in and sauté for a few minutes and finally a load of parmesan grated in. Stir the lot obviously, season well (and fish before it goes in) and put fish fillets back in, spoon sauce over.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

Salmon with veg and potatoes, all cooked in the airfryer.

Advertisement