Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar Nazi's: How do you feel about them?

Options
  • 04-06-2012 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

The second poll option above should say "are" not "and."

Do you think that grammar nazi's on the internet are, in fact, a good thing?

Do you think that but would never admit it?

Or are they just entirely useless?

Surely pointing out poor grammar and correcting it is something that contributes to the general improvement of grammar online.

Or... grammar nazi's are pr*cks who should continue to STFU.

Which side are you on?

Grammar nazis.... 256 votes

...contribute to the general improvement of grammar on the internet.
    0% 0 votes
    ...and pointless annoying pr*cks.
    100% 256 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think they're grossly sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

whirlpool wrote: »
    Do you think that grammar nazi's on the internet are, in fact, a good thing?

Do you think that but would never admit it?

Or are they just entirely useless?

Surely pointing out poor grammar and correcting it is something that contributes to the general improvement of grammar online.

Or... grammar nazi's are pr*cks who should continue to STFU.

Which side are you on?

Sad bastards who try to display their intellect by pointing out spelling or grammar mistakes. Patethic *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Actually, it should be Nazis not Nazi's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I feel strongly about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I agree 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

deccurley wrote: »

It can actually be either. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you all say that but there's still a sitewide ban on txtspk i'd imagine you're all keen to see in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Grammar Nazi's? Whatre they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

in before "you only need the first and last letter of each word..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

you all say that but there's still a sitewide ban on txtspk i'd imagine you're all keen to see in place

This is a difference between intentionally using textspeak and making typos, something nearly everyone makes now and again, but grammar nazis insist on pointing them out anyway.

The funny thing is, grammar nazis don't seem to exist in real life. People accept slang, local phrases and grammar all the time - I don't know anyone who speaks in perfect grammar all the time. Then they come online and point out every little thing because they think they are clever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Txtspk is indefenceable, however correcting minor spelling or grammar mistakes in normal conversation is just ****ing sad beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Textspeak isn't the same as incorrect grammar/spelling/punctuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

DarkJager wrote: »
    Sad bastards who try to display their intellect by pointing out spelling or grammar mistakes. Patethic *****.

*Pathetic

*You
    Confab wrote: »
    Grammar Nazi's? Whatre they?

*What are
    bluewolf wrote: »
    in before "you only need the first and last letter of each word..."

*In
    DarkJager wrote: »
    Txtspk is indefenceable, however correcting minor spelling or grammar mistakes in normal conversation is just ****ing sad beyond belief.

*Indefensible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Pulling people up on grammar and spelling mistakes on a discussion forum is pretty bad form - who cares about a bit of a misspelling?

However those who go through life thinking they can just ignore spelling and grammar rules because they're somehow "expressing their individuality" or because "it doesn't matter" need to cop on to themselves for their own sake.

Where I work, I've seen CVs handed in that haven't even been spell-checked, and I've seen proposals for work that contain all sorts of basic punctuation and grammar errors. If you can't get such details right, then what does it say about your attention to other important details that we're paying you for? Typically we just bin those, because the impression is one of laziness and carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Using grammar well and being dismayed by basic mistakes: good.

Using grammar well and being dismayed by basic mistakes, and then pointing out those mistakes to the people making them, when their meaning is clear: d*ckishness.

Pointing out to someone communicating directly with you whose post is illegible, almost illegible, overly ambiguous, or contrary to the person's intended meaning: something that shouldn't be necessary with adults without learning difficulties writing in their native language, but is unfortunately necessary at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

I think your grossly sad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

*In

i'm an ee cummings fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

deccurley wrote: »

Yeah youre still getting infracted if youre gonna be a grammar nazi here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

How I feel now after starting this thread: http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Oprahs-Bees.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Colmo52 wrote: »
    I think your grossly sad.

You're.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I get that poor grammar annoys some people but pointing out mistakes on thread is just as annoying. What's even worse is when someone attempts to use the presence of a typo to completely undermine an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

You're.

That was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on how readable the post is. To me, expecting people to take your point seriously when you can't write basic English is like expecting me to takle you seriosuly in public when you haven't bother to change out of your pyjamas before you left the house.

Not to be confused with the occasional misplaced coma, spelling error or typo.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Would proper grammar and correct spelling somehow make the point being made somehow more or less correct? No.

Pointing out a grammatical or spelling error without speaking to the concept's expressed in the post is just a way of illustrating your inferiority, not superiority.

Mispealiong.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This thread is like one of those insect zapping yokes, but for pedantic people.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Their idiots them grammer natzi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Spelling mistakes and typos are inevitable and don't bother me. Bad grammar, on the other hand can change the meaning of a sentence and poor punctuation can cause pandas to go on shooting sprees.

Whenever I see posts with there/they're/their or lose/loose consistently misused, I end up thinking that this person is a bit of an idiot or that they had 14 years of a bad teacher. Whatever the reasons people have for getting these things wrong, they're remarkably easy to get right.

As for whether or not being a nazi about it can be helpful, I'm not so sure. Some people reach a point in their lives where they just don't want to learn anymore so correcting them is pointless. Personally, if I was consistently getting some grammar construct mixed up, I'd like to be informed so that I don't end up looking like a fool when writing something important like a cv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

They annoy me!

Why because there so stuck in there ooooooo I know the english lingo back to front and sh1t.... It's so impressive... Yet

They generally lack any degree of foresight, to even ponder oooo this person could have a spelling problems and feel its perfectly ok to put some one down over something so silly....

In my opinion being intellectual doesn't mean your intelligent because if they we're intelligent they'd have for sight to realize that were not all perfect at spelling...

But in away they do serve there use to society... Spell checking stuff for me which is kinda cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Yeah youre still getting infracted if youre gonna be a grammar nazi here.

MUST.........RESIST.......URGE.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

In defense of Grammar Nazis: I feel very strongly about proper spelling and grammar, so I understand how some people may feel compelled to correct everyone. Typos are alright but when it's a result of carelessness, it drives me crazy. While I refrain from calling people out on their mistakes (most of the time), I doubt I could ever find a man who doesn't punctuate properly or edit, attractive (unless of course one genuinely doesn't know the proper spelling/punctuation or is dyslexic and cannot help it).

Advertisement