Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar Nazi's: How do you feel about them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Let's eat grandma.

Let's eat, grandma.

Punctuation saves lives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Annoying pricks. Everyone fúcks up their grammar, spelling and syntax at some time or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Ghandee wrote: »
    Grammar Nazis.

You gotta give it to them,

They know their shít...........

Or is that, they know they're shít :confused:

The Irish Society of Professional Scatologists - now they really know their ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

woman without her man is nothing.
    woman: without her, man is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Annoying pricks. Everyone fúcks up their grammar, spelling and syntax at some time or another.

...and then there are the ones who make the same mistakes for the rest of their lives, because they don't realise that they're making them.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

They're great! Bad grammar is something that really bugs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I've seen signs, composed and signed off on by people in positions of power within companies that have glaring spelling mistakes and syntax errors. These go up on display for everyone and the public to see. This makes me wonder if deep down, they are a bit thick. Grammar can be important betimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is
    That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.
    I don't read lengthy posts without paragraphs or punctuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

bluewolf wrote: »
    in before "you only need the first and last letter of each word..."

yu ct. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I wouldn't point out anyone's poor grammar unless they were being a d!ck.

However, I can never understand people who, as fully grown adults, still don't know the basic difference between there, their and they're. They have totally different meanings!

Bad grammar does annoy me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to point it out to anyone. Except my kids - I'm a bitch for correcting their grammar :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sea Filly wrote: »

This.

There's no one who posts regularly in AH who has perfect grammar. Even the people who put effort into writing without grammatical error make little mistakes.

Trying to write perfect English is a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Have you ever discovered you have toilet paper stuck to your shoe, or (horror of horrors for the girls) that your skirt is caught up in your knickers at the back, and you've been going around like that for god knows how long, and you really wish you'd realised sooner or that someone had pointed it out to you?

That's how I feel about spelling and grammar mistakes. A few years ago I realised that I'd been spelling a particular word wrong for years, and I got all embarrassed and wondered how many people had noticed.

Obviously not everyone feels that way about their written communication, but I'd rather know I was making a mistake than go around looking slightly silly for the rest of my life.

If someone points out that I have toilet paper stuck to my shoe, I don't say “Oh, you think you're so great with your perfect shoes, do you? Screw you, toilet paper Nazi, nobody cares about toilet paper, I'm going to keep this bit of toilet paper stuck to my shoe forever!”. I sheepishly thank them, remove the offending article, and silently vow to always my check my shoes before leaving the bathroom in future.

This toilet paper analogy is wearing a bit thin... my point is: if you don't want to end up going to an interview some day with your skirt caught up in your knickers, it's good sense to get into the habit of checking your appearance before you leave the bathroom. Same goes for the written word in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Trying to write perfect English is a chore.

Alas, when even primary school teachers don't know the difference between there, their and they're, and give out to the child who corrects them... how the hell are children supposed to learn? It's obvious that most parents don't know, and don't care either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Sentid wrote: »
    Let's help Uncle Jack off the horse

lets help uncle jack off the horse

And this is why we need punctuation!

No, that's an example of why we need capitalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

how many of us suffer from fat finger syndrome, rather than have bad grammar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

how many of us suffer from fat finger syndrome, rather than have bad grammar?

Meaning you hit the wrong key?

My problem is that I type using both hands but my right is quicker than my left, so occasionally I'll get two letters in the wrong order because I hit the second key with my right hand before the first one with my left. Sound weird but it's true!

I should probably point out that my typing system is unlike any other known to mankind, but it (usually) works, so whatever :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

From what I can see on boards, It's generally just one facet of an already twattish personality. Plus some of them have pretty poor levels of expression themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Shave their heads and tattoo them with incorrectly placed apostrophes.

Meaning you hit the wrong key?

My problem is that I type using both hands but my right is quicker than my left, so occasionally I'll get two letters in the wrong order because I hit the second key with my right hand before the first one with my left. Sound weird but it's true!

I should probably point out that my typing system is unlike any other known to mankind, but it (usually) works, so whatever :P

yeah i use two hands to type too... i'm dyslexic too which doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Your post reminded me of this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

There's a huge difference between typos, or missing full stops, commas, apostrophes, and people who don't know basic English. Not knowing when to use "there" "their" and they're for example. Or "been" and "being". It shows a lack of the most basic education and makes me despair for what people are learning(or not) in schools these days. And you can't blame it on phones, or even textspeak in my opinion. My pet hate is "should of" "would of" "could of". Makes me want to take a baseball bat to the offender (and I'm not a violent person.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Their a vital part of the internets. People need to be corrected if there making silly grammer mistakes online. Seriously, and I dont buy this I'm dyslexic nonsense either in most cases, your just well not intelligent. But there're been shunned grammer Nazi's are,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

whirlpool wrote: »
    The second poll option above should say "are" not "and."

Do you think that grammar nazi's on the internet are, in fact, a good thing?

Do you think that but would never admit it?

Or are they just entirely useless?

Surely pointing out poor grammar and correcting it is something that contributes to the general improvement of grammar online.

Or... grammar nazi's are pr*cks who should continue to STFU.

Which side are you on?
    I think they're sexy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Snowie wrote: »
    They annoy me!

Why because there so stuck in there ooooooo I know the english lingo back to front and sh1t.... It's so impressive... Yet

They generally lack any degree of foresight, to even ponder oooo this person could have a spelling problems and feel its perfectly ok to put some one down over something so silly....

In my opinion being intellectual doesn't mean your intelligent because if they we're intelligent they'd have for sight to realize that were not all perfect at spelling...

But in away they do serve there use to society... Spell checking stuff for me which is kinda cool :cool:

I don't know whether this is a troll post or not as I've been drinking after work. But assuming this is a serious post.

"they're" "problem" "it's" "you're" "were" "foresight" "realise" "we're" "a way" "their"

Mother of God.

Bad grammar annoys the hell out of me, if someone makes a typo, that's perfectly acceptable, or the odd misspelling, but consistent abuse of the English language is painful. People who can't differentiate between "their", "they're" and "there" are automatically rendered as idiots to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Bad grammar ruins a lot of websites for me, in particular Facebook. Sometimes I see the posts of people who I went to school with and think that their children probably have better spelling and grammar skills than they do; which is crazy to think about.

To be honest, even the term 'Grammar Nazis' is irritating, as it plays into this aspect of society where ignorance appears to be lauded and people are dissuaded from pointing out someone's bad habits because hey, we're all special individuals, eh?

As someone said earlier, an error here and there is fine but many aspects - such as people knowingly spelling something incorrect but phonetically ('dan' instead of 'than') or in textspeak - are pure laziness and in my mind, gives an impression of a slob. That pajamas in public comparison earlier were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Fack it, sometimes they're actually needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm dyslexic so I've had my fair share of dealings with grammar nazis, but they don't bother me enough to even warrent a responce or edit the mistake.

I think every person who feels the need to point out a mistake should block the posters post instead of correcting them. I think they would soon find out that the only people they have left to talk to are similar grammar nazis, and then they might realise that the topic of any debate is always more interesting than the medium in which its delivered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dave147 wrote: »
    I don't know whether this is a troll post or not as I've been drinking after work. But assuming this is a serious post.
    The chap actually has dyslexia and over his time here has improved in leaps and bounds with his spelling, by generally taking his time and using spellcheckers. On that score, if someone is using a US English spellchecker "realise" will come out as "realize". Hardly a hanging offence, or is that offense?

On the usual should of, their/there, been/being mistakes? Yep I admit sometimes they do grate on me and I think WTF. I'll further admit that it can make me think less of the typist behind it. Lately TBH it grates on me less and I look behind the content of the post rather than the mistakes. I've read enough posts over the years with letter perfect spelling and grammar where the poster was eloquently exposing themselves as an utter gobshíte.

With many grammar nazis there is the impression of "how great am I" going on and not a little elitism. Feverishly fapping over a misplaced apostrophe thinking this negates the content behind it. I think less of those people most of all. For me it's as daft as thinking someone's accent or background makes it somehow easier to dismiss their views and opinions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Senna wrote: »
    I'm dyslexic so I've had my fair share of dealings with grammar nazis, but they don't bother me enough to even warrent a responce or edit the mistake.

I think every person who feels the need to point out a mistake should block the posters post instead of correcting them. I think they would soon find out that the only people they have left to talk to are similar grammar nazis, and then they might realise that the topic of any debate is always more interesting than the medium in which its delivered.

Being dyslexic, how does that effect your memory? I'm not being a pr1ck here, but do you see how you spelled response, with a "C" instead of an "S"? I'm sure in your 14 years of schooling you've come across that word tens of thousands of times, but for whatever reason, it still hasn't sunk in. This is what I don't get. Seeing something once or twice should be enough to solidify it in your brain.

Again, I'm not trying to be a pr1ck, but thats how us "grammar nazis" see it. It's not about judging people (and I was surprised when that was mentioned), its more about "whoa there buddy, your fly is down!"

Do you think now, after this post highlighted that response should be spelled with an "S", that you will remember that in future? If it was me, the fact that it was highlighted, then discussed, and generally brought to the fore of my mind, would absolutely etch it into my mind till the day I die! Every time I'd spell response I'd remember this post. Do you think that will happen with you? If not, would that somehow be related to your dyslexia?

I hope this is not coming across as "superior", because it's so not meant to be. I'm just explaining things the way I, as a grammar nazi, see it. I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes in what I've just typed. I'll have a 10 second read of it before I hit submit, and if I've missed anything, I welcome corrections.

• Advertisement

newmug wrote: »
    Being dyslexic, how does that effect your memory? I'm not being a pr1ck here, but do you see how you spelled response, with a "C" instead of an "S"? I'm sure in your 14 years of schooling you've come across that word tens of thousands of times, but for whatever reason, it still hasn't sunk in. This is what I don't get. Seeing something once or twice should be enough to solidify it in your brain.

Again, I'm not trying to be a pr1ck, but thats how us "grammar nazis" see it. It's not about judging people (and I was surprised when that was mentioned), its more about "whoa there buddy, your fly is down!"

Do you think now, after this post highlighted that response should be spelled with an "S", that you will remember that in future? If it was me, the fact that it was highlighted, then discussed, and generally brought to the fore of my mind, would absolutely etch it into my mind till the day I die! Every time I'd spell response I'd remember this post. Do you think that will happen with you? If not, would that somehow be related to your dyslexia?

I hope this is not coming across as "superior", because it's so not meant to be. I'm just explaining things the way I, as a grammar nazi, see it. I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes in what I've just typed. I'll have a 10 second read of it before I hit submit, and if I've missed anything, I welcome corrections.

its got nothing to do with memory... as im also dyslexic i often will be thinking of what i want to type/write but when i type/write it, words often come out completely different to what im thinking.

i have a fierce habit of thinking "the" but typing "to" or thinking "for" but typing "of".

it happens so often that after while ya just don't bother correcting yourself anymore.

having grammar nazis badger on about people's poor spelling/grammar just gets annoying.

Advertisement