Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar Nazi's: How do you feel about them?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dudess wrote: »
    It should be remembered not everyone has a strong grasp of grammar/punctuation/spelling
    I will probably get shot down for this, but if I thought this was an issue with me I would probably try to do something about it. Bear with me on this one.

People will judge others whether it is on or off line. A prospective employer is reading a C.V. and there are several spelling mistakes on it. Your C.V. is a document that markets yourself, it is not going to bode well if their first impression of you is someone that is unable to spell correctly, or even use of spelling correction.

and some people are dyslexic.
    That is the tricky part. It is why I don't openly correct someone in their post, because you can't tell 100% if the poster is dyslexic or not. I've dyslexic friends on boards who have sent me C.V.'s to look over for them, or letters to a college they're applying for - and I've gladly done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

fricatus wrote: »
    Where I work, I've seen CVs handed in that haven't even been spell-checked, and I've seen proposals for work that contain all sorts of basic punctuation and grammar errors. If you can't get such details right, then what does it say about your attention to other important details that we're paying you for? Typically we just bin those, because the impression is one of laziness and carelessness.
    I was wondering about this the other day - is it acceptable to establish whether a job applicant who submits a poor cover letter is excusably foreign or dyslexic, and to turn them down otherwise?
    Or would one be sued for some sort of discrimination?
    A similar question could be posed regarding dismissal of employees who "can't write good".

*slips into Maggie Gyllenhaal fantasy*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think the grammar nazi warning sticky should have another post appended to it with a list of the most common mistakes and why they're incorrect. Then people could be infracted for getting them wrong.

One can only dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boards already have a small level of grammar nazism.
    For instance text speak isn't allowed anywhere on the site.

Sometime when I read posts I despair for the person that spent so many years in school but only needed a few years with a phone to become practically incomprehensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think the grammar nazi warning sticky should have another post appended to it with a list of the most common mistakes and why they're incorrect. Then people could be infracted for getting them wrong.

One can only dream.

You cannot be serious.

@Abi, spelling or grammar mistakes in a CV is not acceptable. This is the first impression your employer will have and you would be judged on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh I agree Abi - if writing isn't a person's strong point, they really should get someone to check CVs, letters, essays etc for them before they send them off. And I always wince a bit when I see avoidable mistakes here by teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh I agree Abi - if writing isn't a person's strong point, they really should get someone to check CVs, letters, essays etc for them before they send them off. And I always wince a bit when I see avoidable mistakes here by teachers.

I think we all look at it differently, In the real world we have to be perfect and check and double check everything to make sure it's correct.
    A few mistakes on here should not matter, yes it might be a little lazy sometimes but it's not the end of the world. It's the way I see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

People who can't use there, their and they're grind my gears to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What do people think of spelling wurds wrong for the laf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

People who can't use there, their and they're grind my gears to be honest.

The thing is, I've noticed some people do actually know there's a difference between them, but how to use them correctly is another thing. Most don't seem to understand why they're broken down, and use the apostrophe before the wrong letter.

For example, "If I had'nt made that mistake".. the apostrophe is in replacement of a letter, therefore it doesn't belong there. The letter 'O' is cut out of the merged words 'had not', so it has to be between the 'n' and the 't'.

There => There it is over there.

They're => Short for 'they are', letter 'a' removed to shorten.

Their => Meant in the possessive sense. "The children were safely returned to their mother". Something or somebody belonging to somebody.

I do think that a lot of it is just some people typing without thinking. That is fine and well on a discussion board where it doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but that can slide into every day use of the language, and indeed on important documents.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

The grammar nazi's probably want to send us to Asswitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

fricatus wrote: »
    Pulling people up on grammar and spelling mistakes on a discussion forum is pretty bad form - who cares about a bit of a misspelling?

However those who go through life thinking they can just ignore spelling and grammar rules because they're somehow "expressing their individuality" or because "it doesn't matter" need to cop on to themselves for their own sake.

Where I work, I've seen CVs handed in that haven't even been spell-checked, and I've seen proposals for work that contain all sorts of basic punctuation and grammar errors. If you can't get such details right, then what does it say about your attention to other important details that we're paying you for? Typically we just bin those, because the impression is one of laziness and carelessness.

Indeed. Slobs will always be slobs. And, like the poor, they will always be with us.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It seems that those who cared about standards are gradually giving up the struggle, as this article shows::D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/lack-of-interest-spells-the-end-for-the-queens-english-society-7814791.html

:(:(:(

Queen's English Society: common complaints
    * Missing and wrongly used apostrophes
    * Overuse of exclamation marks
    * Adjectives used as adverbs
    * 'More' used with the comparative. Eg more sweeter
    * Incorrect forms of verbs, eg snuck (as in 'snuck in').
    * American spell checks
    * Failure to start sentences with a capital letter and end them with a full point.
    * Misspelling of common words
    * Confusion between same-sounding words – their/there licence/license
    * Misuse of semicolons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

KeithM89 wrote: »
    deccurley wrote: »
    Actually, it should be Nazis not Nazi's

Yeah youre still getting infracted if youre gonna be a grammar nazi here.

Infraction Nazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Ok I have a solution.

Give every boardsie the option of having a little symbol beneath their username in their posts, or in their signature, that indicates that they welcome corrections of their grammar.

If you correct the grammar of a boardsie who does display this symbol, then yay, everyone's happy.

If you correct the grammar of a boardsie who doesn't display it, then you're a d*ck.

Remember that there are a lot of people who genuinely do want to improve their English (including native and non-native English speakers) and this type of system could potentially be invaluable to a lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I think we should all aspire to good grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

whirlpool wrote: »
    Ok I have a solution.

Give every boardsie the option of having a little symbol beneath their username in their posts, or in their signature, that indicates that they welcome corrections of their grammar.

If you correct the grammar of a boardsie who does display this symbol, then yay, everyone's happy.

If you correct the grammar of a boardsie who doesn't display it, then you're a d*ck.

What sort of symbol do you propose? A swastika perhaps?

DarkJager wrote: »
    What sort of symbol do you propose? A swastika perhaps?

Well, no. Because that would symbolise an evil dictatorship, whereas this symbol indicates a mutual agreement. Duh.

Well, no. Because that would symbolise an evil dictatorship, whereas this symbol indicates a mutual agreement. Duh.

The swastika wasn't invented by the Nazis, they just hijacked it like the ***** they were.

The swastika wasn't invented by the Nazis, they just hijacked it like the ***** they were.

Regardless of its origin, it still symbolises an evil dictatorship.

Sorry, I meant to say "irregardless."

...which, unlike most of us, spellcheck considers a real word.

Meanwhile, it doesn't consider "spellcheck" to be.

• Advertisement

Pretty much the same with grammar nazis isn't it? They're basically on the internet to conform your spelling or grammar to their standards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Put up a sticky on it a while back and bumped it a few times. Seems to benefit the general level of communication when this kind of stuff is removed.

However having said that if people are using txtspk etc., that's not allowed either.

We're really just trying to prevent people from being dicks and attempting to appear superior over trifling bollox.

Pretty much the same with grammar nazis isn't it? They're basically on the internet to conform your spelling or grammar to their standards.

Well, no, because as I have explained, this would be a mutual agreement whereby the user requests to have their grammar corrected - by displaying that symbol. A dictatorship involves forcing ones own beliefs on others without their request, i.e. the exact opposite.

And on a separate note, it's not their standards; it's the standards of the English language.

This would be a way to eliminate grammar Nazism, while helping people who actually want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Did someone mention grammar?? ;)

\/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I don't like them especially the ones that use a mistake as a point for their point of view in a discussion. It makes the discussion stop as you have said your point of view and they have replied with to point out a grammar error.
    I also hate it when a person post some thing and the next post is
    *fixed spelling/grammar
    Edit your post FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I dont hate them as much as grammar communists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Good English = Nazi
    Poor English = Hero

The problem to some is reading posts where the poster has made no effort to help the reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not in India, it doesn't. When I was over in Bangalore, I went to the opening party of a new department at the company, and we had cake. The paper plates had little Swastikas on them, for luck.

Anyway, I'm in the "meaning" camp here. Typos are excusable, but clangers that change or obscure the meaning are bad. I mean, if you use "there" when you mean "they're", I can only conclude that you don't understand the meanings of those words. If you get the meaning, but write the wrong word - which does happen to me sometimes - it should look "wrong" and stand out like a sore thumb.

Grammar is there to help you convey your full meaning. If what you have to say will always be simple and basic, then you don't need no stinkin' Grammar. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/jun/04/queens-english-society-enuf-innit

Queen's English Society says enuf is enough, innit?

Society formed 40 years ago to protect language against poor spelling and grammar closes because too few people care anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

Let's help Uncle Jack off the horse

lets help uncle jack off the horse

And this is why we need punctuation!

Advertisement