Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar Nazi's: How do you feel about them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 elainecrowlee

fricatus wrote: »

Where I work, I've seen CVs handed in that haven't even been spell-checked, and I've seen proposals for work that contain all sorts of basic punctuation and grammar errors. If you can't get such details right, then what does it say about your attention to other important details that we're paying you for? Typically we just bin those, because the impression is one of laziness and carelessness.

On average how many CVs do you get per day that have mistakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Leeg bet me to it ;)

He beat you to me too, Keith:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Put up a sticky on it a while back and bumped it a few times. Seems to benefit the general level of communication when this kind of stuff is removed.

However having said that if people are using txtspk etc., that's not allowed either.

We're really just trying to prevent people from being dicks and attempting to appear superior over trifling bollox.
    QFT that man.:pac:

it says a lot about people if they think having stronger language,spelling etc ability over someone else makes them better,fact is-it doesnt; it just means they have weaknesses in other aspects.

alot of people in this thread have mentioned dyslexia as needing understanding in terms of genuine problems with posting-there are a lot more posting issues and difficulties than dyslexia,am not dyslexic but have global learning disability,classic autism,built up mild/mod brain injury & epilepsy which all greatly affect spelling,grammar,how communicate language across,and if have just had a seizure even less words are available to self plus may mix up spelling?/grammar? more....night medications make it worser to.
    am not able to use a spelling checker because there are to many steps to using it,woud need support staff or family there to go through each step.

lots of disabilities and difficulties can affect someones posting,used to know someone who had non epileptic seizures and if she was going to have one whilst she was using the computer,her words woud be completely unreadable...even being dehydrated can affected a persons posting.
    though at the opposite end of this,some internet users are often drunk and use a disability they do not have as a mask to not have to use effort.

taking out personal weaknesses on other people says more about the mentality of the person doing it than the target.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dudess wrote: »
    Textspeak isn't the same as incorrect grammar/spelling/punctuation.

I would have said that txtspeak is the same as bad spelling.
    Both are not to be found in a decent dictionary.

I wouldn't give out to anyone about it unless it was REALLY bad - and then I would politely mention it to them privately by PM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

OP there's no apostrophe in 'Nazis'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Correcting other posters' spelling makes you a spelling Nazi and not a grammar Nazi. Spelling and grammar are two entirely different constructs.

/pedant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I don't agree that everyone should suffer poor English because a few people have handicaps.

Also, I think there should be a distinction between people who would regard a flaw in another poster's English as a point in favour of their argument or an indication that the argument is somehow invalid as a result and people who simply think it's reasonable to expect a certain standard of English on a discussion forum.

I'm surprised and heartened by the results of the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

Best course I did as part of my degree was in Grammer/English/Public speaking.

Anytime I am pulled up on something I make a note of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

I noticed a poster the other day from Cork City Council aimed at Polish and Eastern Europeans.

"Do you want to improve ur English?"

The guy behind me in the queue didn't even think it was that bad. Claimed it was a "happy medium".

Looked pretty basic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Does anyone else go back over a post, maybe a few hours later, and realise they've left out entire words!? Not just small words like 'and' or 'it' but a big one that renders the sentence nonsensical?

I've often done it and thought to myself 'how in the name of muppetry did you manage that ya gob****e'? I reckon that it's something to do with my brain racing ahead with thoughts and the fingers trying to keep up typing them out.

Anyway, we're not writing academic essays here FFS we're yapping on an internet forum for lols. I'd sacrifice good grammar for a bit more creativity and personality in my writing - no contest.

I leave out words all the time. In fact, I'm it right now.
    I even do it on the whiteboard when I'm teaching EFL more than I'd care to, though I usually catch it then.

I even did it in my very first teaching practice. Afterwards, the teacher observing me asked how I thought I did, and I said, very annoyed with myself, "It was ok, except that when I finished I noticed I'd written "to take" instead of 'to take off.'"
    He turned around to look at the board and said "Did you? I hadn't even noticed that? I wouldn't worry about it, everyone does it."
    I still got my distinction :cool:.

So if there's one key thing to remember when it comes to leaving out important words in a post, it's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Most of them are insecure control artists - with fuck all else to do. To be understood is the main thing in dialogue - written or oral. Goddit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Gyalist wrote: »
    Correcting other posters' spelling makes you a spelling Nazi and not a grammar Nazi. Spelling and grammar are two entirely different constructs.

/pedant

Unsurprisingly, not a lot of thought went into the naming of this rule. For consistency's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I'm constipated at the moment, this prevents me from constructing a grammatically correct sentence without spelling mistakes. ;)

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I'm constipated at the moment, this prevents me from constructing a grammatically correct sentence without spelling mistakes. ;)

He's actually drunk then, folks! :D

Been there - done tha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

No, that doesn't count. Only dehydration and brain damages do.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

If my grammar or punctuation is all they can fault then they are desperate and have been on a few occasions when they did'nt like my post but could'nt construct an adequate response .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

They are pretty pointless IMO, grammar has changed quite a bit over the centuries, should we all revert to the norms of the 15th century or the 18th century? I am sure in the 22nd century our grammar norms will also be obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Why don't you do what the constipated mathematician did ?

He sat down and worked it out with a pencil!!!

They are pretty pointless IMO, grammar has changed quite a bit over the centuries, should we all revert to the norms of the 15th century or the 18th century? I am sure in the 22nd century our grammar norms will also be obsolete.

A rose by any other name is still a rose?

Is thou in thy contemplations and of prodigious birth, awakening to thine consternations of the mortal man?
    They whom seek to right, to divine the winter of our discontent and thus set wrong to right?

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Why don't you do what the constipated mathematician did ?

He sat down and worked it out with a pencil!!!
    In cubes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was at university with a guy who was diagnosed with dyslexia, yet doing an advanced Engineering degree. I never knew until some time in 4th year, when I found out he was sitting exams separately. His emails were no worse than those from any of his classmates, and he never used his dyslexia as an excuse.

This is an anonymous forum, and so others here don't know or care if you're using spelling and grammar checkers, getting your parents to correct your posts, or whatever. It's all about the results, and my experience tells me that people who genuinely have dyslexia can learn to work with it and get good results. I'm disappointed to see dyslexia used here as an excuse to give up and stop trying - or so it seems. What we do here isn't important writing, but it can be good practice for that time in the future when it will be important and you will need to get it right.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Must be tough being full of shit all the time.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

*Sigh*

All the bad spelling and grammar on this thread makes me want to vomit.

Like minded people on these boards need to rally together and come up with a Final Solution to get rid of this abominable stain on the English language's integrity. I trust we will be victorious.

Hail to Victory!

Pedant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pedant wrote: »
    *Sigh*

All the bad spelling and grammar on this thread makes me want to vomit.

Like(WHY U NO PUT HYPHEN?)minded people on these boards need to rally together and come up with a Final Solution to get rid of this abominable stain on the English language's integrity. I trust we will be victorious.

Hail to Victory!

Pedant.

MMMhmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Grammar Nazi and proud, very very proud :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

DarkJager wrote: »
    Sad bastards who try to display their intellect by pointing out spelling or grammar mistakes. Patethic *****.

Then have a look at the poll above.
    Ordinary posters think grammar is good.

'Grammar Nazis' - as they have been labeled by some lazy 'I don wann lern - so indulg me' 'grammar incompetent' at some time in the past - are just ordinary people that think that we shouldn't all be dumbed down to someones minor level.
    Intellect has nothing to do with learning a few simple rules. You can't spell (pathetic) or use grammar properly? - then suck it up and learn. Stop complaining to the mods / and your momma.

Like so many here - you want to be lazy in the basics (but be treated as an equal) - and that just makes me personally believe that you're lazy in your opinions too!

The above poll might go someway to influancing Boards.ie to NOT denounce 'Grammar Nazis' at the start of 'after hours'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

DonQuay1 wrote: »

The above poll might go someway to influancing Boards.ie to NOT denounce 'Grammar Nazis' at the start of 'after hours'.

Pardon me, your slip is showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i hear pear cider is good for relieving constipation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I can forgive the odd spelling mistake or typo, it's generally not the end of the world and tbh I have to use a dictionary more than I would like to.

Consistent bad spelling, or the whole there/their/your mistakes are a bit annoying.

But really, the whole taught/thought thing is ****ing annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

harney wrote: »
    But really, the whole taught/thought thing is ****ing annoying!

It's why I think children should be forced to pronounce their "th's" from an early stage :).

The number of times that mistake was made in the "Most incorrect things you were taught" thread nearly drove me demented, and probably pushed me the closest to correcting someone I've ever been.

Advertisement