Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar Nazi's: How do you feel about them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Would proper grammar and correct spelling somehow make the point being made somehow more or less correct? No.

Pointing out a grammatical or spelling error without speaking to the concept's expressed in the post is just a way of illustrating your inferiority, not superiority.

Mispealiong.

I'd agree generally with that, but there are a small number of occasions when a person's spelling and grammar mistakes make their point unclear, or even make it look like they have a completely contradictory point to their intended one.

I think on such occasions - which are in a minority, but still worryingly common - it's necessary to correct the person writing, or else suggest they rewrite the post to make it easier to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Grammar Nazis.

You gotta give it to them,

They know their shít...........

Or is that, they know they're shít :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

The pro-grammar nazi option is currently winning.

Yet almost all of the comments are from the anti-grammar nazi people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The practice of grammar nazism gets a disproportionate amount of attention. It's not as commonplace as some people would have you believe.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    The practice of grammar nazism gets a disproportionate amount of attention. It's not as commonplace as some people would have you believe.

Well, considering it's banned........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

whirlpool wrote: »
    Well, considering it's banned........

I mean on the 'net in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I only correct someone's grammar/spelling online if the mistake completely changed the meaning of their sentence. (Though I usually leave "I'm asking you to bare with me" - when they mean "bear" - alone, because it amuses me greatly :pac:).

I hate when someone's only contribution to a thread is to correct a poster's grammar, especially with a ":rolleyes:" face. In that case, I would happily correct any grammar error in their post :P

I don't like txtspk though, and I really hate bad typos in newspapers - you're being paid to write, do it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I hate people who correct me for spelling things correctly. On facebook I sometimes come across a person who will say something to the effect of "man why u talk with full words all de time" and I have no choice but to either kill them or block them. My English teacher in school gets mad when anyone points out a grammatical error to him, and he always insists it's because he's trying to write quickly. There's a definite line between trying to help people spell things correctly and being a pr*ck about it but really, either way, just start caring more about what you write, and if it's a typo, then it's just a typo, no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

you all say that but there's still a sitewide ban on txtspk i'd imagine you're all keen to see in place
    grammar nazis tend to point out spelling/language/grammar mistakes as opposed to txt speak,as someone who has a lot of difficulties in this area that a spelling checker cannott help with it is pathetic when people take it upon themselves like authority to belittle people publicaly for their writing.
    they have not the faintest idea why the person writes like they do-and it is better to look with an open mind than it is to all out pre judge others who coud be disabled,post brain injury effects,on a lot of heavy medication, epileptic,non native english speakers,dehydrated etc.
    -am not a fan of them at all as they show no basic decency to those they publicaly highlight the faults of.

as for grammar nazis who have a natural mentality to correct language mistakes,have got no problem with them as long as they only do it in their head or privately if they know the person wants to be corrected,as this shows basic respect for others,and not just caring about what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Unfortunately there is great need for grammar nazis because so many people just don't care how they spell basic words. I just don't get this attitude at all, I'd be so embarrassed! And I'm not even a native speaker....so if I can write properly, so should at least native speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Would proper grammar and correct spelling somehow make the point being made somehow more or less correct? No.

Proper grammar won't make something more correct but improper grammar might make something less correct. For example, leaving out the word "not" can give your sentence the opposite meaning to that which was intended. For example, "I'm an idiot" versus "I'm not an idiot".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I hate when someone's only contribution to a thread is to correct a posters grammar, especially with a ":rolleyes:" face.

That smiley should be done away with, there's something about it that stirs a deep seated rage within me, which makes me want to headbutt that person through the internets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

whirlpool wrote: »
    The pro-grammar nazi option is currently winning.

Yet almost all of the comments are from the anti-grammar nazi people.

I haven't voted because the options are too polarising for me.

If there were an intermediate option, such as "Grammar Nazism is generally bad, but sometimes you have to correct someone," I'd vote for that, and I'd imagine it'd be somewhat popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

DarkJager wrote: »
    Txtspk is indefenceable, however correcting minor spelling or grammar mistakes in normal conversation is just ****ing sad beyond belief.
    It depends on how it's being done. If used when someone has no other defence other than to pick up on someone else's spelling or grammar, then it's distasteful. I've a habit of correcting the mistake when quoting someone, but don't mention it in my reply to their post.
    mackg wrote: »
    What's even worse is when someone attempts to use the presence of a typo to completely undermine an argument.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

There are times when I find it hard to believe just how badly a post has been written.
    Then I ask myself If I understood it.

If the answer is no then I will, politely, ask for a better explanation.

If the answer is yes then I will shake my head in amazement, shrug my shoulders and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Who cares if it's your or you're, if it's 'should of' or 'should have'. What's important is that we don't make people who are too lazy or too stupid to learn the difference feel uncomfortable.

My English is far from perfect and I appreciate it when people point out my mistakes before they become habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's rude and ignorant to correct someone on line over spelling. This is not school and it's good it's finally being stopped.
    It's supposed to be relaxed here and that means not having to go over everything before you post for grammar and spelling mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This is a difference between intentionally using textspeak and making typos, something nearly everyone makes now and again, but grammar nazis insist on pointing them out anyway.

Typographical errors are really not what "Grammar Nazis" are generally irritated by.

I try not to correct people whose posts/writings are riddled with grammatical errors, but such errors can make it more difficult to take someone seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

humbert wrote: »
    Who cares if it's your or you're, if it's 'should of' or 'should have'. What's important is that we don't make people who are too lazy or too stupid to learn the difference feel uncomfortable.

It's not about being lazy or stupid for some people, posting on phones can be a pain sometimes and mistakes happen and at the end of the day who are we to judge anyone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There are only two legitimate reasons for donning the GN uniform and those are when the poster in question is him/herself having a go at someone's spelling/grammar and when it's genuinely hilarious to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I find it terribly rude just to comment on an error or errors when it's perfectly clear what the person is saying. It should be remembered not everyone has a strong grasp of grammar/punctuation/spelling and some people are dyslexic.

That said, if someone is being a cock and shooting off about how much better than everyone they are, it's amusing to see if they get an error corrected. Plus, if someone's posts are absolute illegible waffle - in particular with zero full stops, commas or dashes used to indicate pauses - it's fair game for a moderator to advise them to try and communicate more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I prefer grammar commies to grammar nazis.

humbert wrote: »

My English is far from perfect and I appreciate it when people point out my mistakes before they become habit.

Your first paragraph sort of contradicts your second paragraph, so I have concluded that your first paragraph was sarcasm.

I personally feel the same as you said you feel in your second paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

what if the writing isn't good and the people doing the writing are not proper about the words that they shouldve be using in the posts but the idea that they wanted comes out right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Can't stand 'em. I hate seeing people dismissing good, perfectly comprehensible posts just to point out that the poster used they're instead of there or something equally pointless and uninteresting. According to Cracked, there's a beautiful Finnish word for these people:
    Cracked wrote:

Pilkunnussija (Finnish)

Means:
    A person who believes it is their destiny to stamp out all spelling and punctuation mistakes at the cost of popularity, self-esteem and mental well-being.

They're out there. They're reading this right now. Judging, smirking, analyzing. They care nothing about the actual meaning or fun of writing, but care everything about whether you used that semi-colon correctly. While we -- perhaps inappropriately -- call them Grammar Nazis, the Finns have a much more fitting name: "pilkunnussija."

Or literally, "comma fuckers."

Let that delicious imagery sink in for a second: Some stubborn, miserable person slowly removing his or her sweater vest while caressing the pendulous dip and point of a comma before slowly climbing on top of it and thrusting away in quiet desperation. These are people who have taken the most boring, pedantic aspect of language and adopted that as their cause. It's like a child on a basketball court dreaming of one day being a referee. And these people certainly exist. Take, for example, the Apostrophe Protection Society, who feel the need to protect this "much abused" punctuation mark from the grubby fingers of people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Our President for Life

Dudess wrote: »
    Plus, if someone's posts are absolute illegible waffle - in particular with zero full stops, commas or dashes used to indicate pauses - it's fair game for a moderator to advise them to try and communicate more clearly.

I couldn't agree more. Typos are understandable, but if someone just blatantly disregards all the rules of written English...well that just grinds my gears! :mad:

hondasam wrote: »
    It's not about being lazy or stupid for some people, posting on phones can be a pain sometimes and mistakes happen and at the end of the day who are we to judge anyone.

Is that what you believe is happening? That the grammar nazi is judging the person based on their grammar?

I have never seen it like that.

Grammar nazism can be very annoying, but I have never viewed it as being a judgement of the person's character. (And no, I've never been a grammar nazi myself.)

Furthermore, if someone is genuinely judging a person based on their grammar, then they're not just a grammar nazi they're also a bittuva pr*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

hondasam wrote: »

We judge people all of the time. This entire thread is about judging Grammar Nazis. Vacuous truisms annoy me too.

As for posting from phones, the only possible way I can think to solve that quandary is to spend a whole five to ten seconds rereading the post before hitting submit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There are only two legitimate reasons for donning the GN uniform and those are when the poster in question is him/herself having a go at someone's spelling/grammar and when it's genuinely hilarious to do so.
    Muphrys Law is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

A friend of mine got a letter from Department of Education, refusing a spelling and grammar exemption for her daughter in the state exams.

The words "spelling, grammar and exemption", were all incorrect! :eek:

Advertisement