Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar Nazi's: How do you feel about them?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Dyslexsia cuts no ice whatsoever for me when it comes to where/were, been/being, and our/are. Thats just low IQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

harney wrote: »
    But really, the whole taught/thought thing is ****ing annoying!

It's understandable dough. Most Irish people don't pronounce der "th's" so it's probably difficult to know when to use dem or not.

I've even heard newsreaders say Thigh-land when talking about Thailand (pronounced Tie-land).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Does anyone else go back over a post, maybe a few hours later, and realise they've left out entire words!? Not just small words like 'and' or 'it' but a big one that renders the sentence nonsensical?

I've often done it and thought to myself 'how in the name of muppetry did you manage that ya gob****e'? I reckon that it's something to do with my brain racing ahead with thoughts and the fingers trying to keep up typing them out.

Anyway, we're not writing academic essays here FFS we're yapping on an internet forum for lols. I'd sacrifice good grammar for a bit more creativity and personality in my writing - no contest.

All the time. I blame my phone.

newmug wrote: »
    Dyslexsia cuts no ice whatsoever for me when it comes to where/were, been/being, and our/are. Thats just low IQ.

I don't know how you can equate poor grammar to low IQ. Shirley there are people with high IQ's and poor grammar and people with great grammar and low IQ's?

What's IQ anyway except some random measurement of how good people are at doing IQ tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I wonder how much the likes of internet forums and social networking have to answer for the deterioration in basic spelling and grammar? I mean, the "should of" phenomenon seems to be a relatively recent thing and is spreading like a rash. I can't help but think that people are just reading other people spelling it as "should of" has made them think that that is the way to do it.

As an aside, I've a friend who decorates cakes as a hobby. I happened to be in her house recently and she showed me a cake she had done up. There was a grammar error on the cake and I decided to tell her. She was a little bit embarrassed at first but then thanked me. It wouldn't have looked good to have a cake going out of the house with a glaring error on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

cymbaline wrote: »
    I wonder how much the likes of internet forums and social networking have to answer for the deterioration in basic spelling and grammar? I mean, the "should of" phenomenon seems to be a relatively recent thing and is spreading like a rash. I can't help but think that people are just reading other people spelling it as "should of" has made them think that that is the way to do it.

As an aside, I've a friend who decorates cakes as a hobby. I happened to be in her house recently and she showed me a cake she had done up. There was a grammar error on the cake and I decided to tell her. She was a little bit embarrassed at first but then thanked me. It wouldn't have looked good to have a cake going out of the house with a glaring error on it.
    I think Boards is unique as it is geared towards Irish people. I post on other forums where correct grammar and spelling is encouraged as a large amount of the members only have English as their second language.
    On a forum like this where people have English as their first language, I would associate txt spk with laziness and wouldn't take their point seriously. People might have difficulty with spelling or grammar, but using text language when you have a full QWERTY keyboard is bad.

Shirley there are people with high IQ's and poor grammar and people with great grammar and low IQ's?

Are those apostrophes okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Are those apostrophes okay?

Yes, though it would also be fine without them.
    With initialisms like IQ or CD, some prefer to add an apostrophe to make it clear that the "s" is to show they're plural, and isn't part of the initialism itself, whereas others choose not to as usually the abbreviation is made up of capital letters so it's clear that the "s" at the end isn't part of it.

Both are accepted, though I prefer to add the apostrophe because it's a little less confusing, as some initialisms have lower case letters as well as capitals.

Yes, though it would also be fine without them.
    With initialisms like IQ or CD, some prefer to add an apostrophe to make it clear that the "s" is to show they're plural, and isn't part of the initialism itself, whereas others choose not to as usually the abbreviation is made up of capital letters so it's clear that the "s" at the end isn't part of it.

Both are accepted, though I prefer to add the apostrophe because it's a little less confusing, as some initialisms have lower case letters as well as capitals.

Thanks, my apostrophe placement isn't the best. I noticed I was automatically, and erroneously, putting an apostrophe in "it's" a couple of weeks back and it annoyed me a bit.

Actually a 'How's my English' sticky might not be a bad idea for AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Just to keep with the road rage example, from a grammar nazi's POV, it's like when someone indicates left, but turns right. Or when someone doesn't dim their lights when coming towards you at night. You just think "FFS, how did that person get a license!"

It has absolutely nothing to do with being condescending. On the contrary, you think the other driver is either stupid, or maybe there's something wrong with their wiring, or that they're the ones being inconsiderate and condecending. Either way, you automatically feel that they should do something about it, and drive properly from now on.

When bad spelling might cause you to drive into the ditch and be killed etc, then your you`re comparisons might be valid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I don't know how you can equate poor grammar to low IQ. Shirley there are people with high IQ's and poor grammar and people with great grammar and low IQ's?

What's IQ anyway except some random measurement of how good people are at doing IQ tests?

Firstly, my name is NOT Shirley. Secondly, if someone doesn't know the difference between "where", as in what location, and "were", as in the plural past tense of "is", then they definitely have more to worry about than either grammar, OR IQ tests.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    When bad spelling might cause you to drive into the ditch and be killed etc, then your you`re comparisons might be valid.

*Sigh* Sometimes thats EXACTLY what bad spelling makes me feel like doing:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

robbie7730 wrote: »

*Sigh* Sometimes thats EXACTLY what bad spelling makes me feel like doing:(

Predictive texting for when you`re driving so...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Who is Shirley, and what would she have to do with dyslexia and IQs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Secondly, if someone doesn't know the difference between "where", as in what location, and "were", as in the plural past tense of "is", then they definitely have more to worry about than either grammar, OR IQ tests.

What's that then?

Firstly, my name is NOT Shirley.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    Who is Shirley, and what would she have to do with dyslexia and IQs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I had a science teacher with quite a heavy Dublin accent who pronounced "Iron" as "Arden". It took me years to figure out there Arden was not an element

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't know about Grammar Nazis. On one level, when people give an opinion on something on boards, it's somewhat mean-spirited to undermine that point by highlighting their grammatical errors.

On another level though, proper grammar and punctuation is, in my opinion, a courtesy to the reader. If you want someone to read what you've written, surely it's incumbent on you to make it as legible as possible? Grammar and punctuation aren't just inventions utilised by sticklers and pedants to make life difficult, they play a hugely important role in clarifying texts.

So...yeah grammar nazis can be a pain in the ar*e.

But then, so too can those who expect others to decipher their error-strewn posts.

And it's really not all that difficult to brush up on your grammar.

Where the **** were they when i really needed help in school?

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Wear the **** were they when i really needed help in school?

FYP ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

al28283 wrote: »
    FYP ;)

:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    **** You Prick.
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

**** You Prick.

I know what fyp means, I don't get the joke about someone "correcting" it incorrectly

bluewolf wrote: »
    I know what fyp means, I don't get the joke about someone "correcting" it incorrectly
    14 pages of intentionally mispelled words and you don't get it?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

14 pages of intentionally mispelled words and you don't get it?;)

Unfortunately being funny isn't quite as simple as being wrong.

However if you deliberately misspelled misspelled, that's funny...

It's funny if it wasn't deliberate too.

humbert wrote: »
    Unfortunately being funny isn't quite as simple as being wrong.

However if you deliberately misspelled misspelled, that's funny...

It's funny if it wasn't deliberate too.

GRAMMAR NAZI ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Einhard wrote: »
    If you want someone to read what you've written, surely it's incumbent on you to make it as legible as possible?

Don't call me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Wibbs wrote: »
    The chap actually has dyslexia and over his time here has improved in leaps and bounds with his spelling, by generally taking his time and using spellcheckers. On that score, if someone is using a US English spellchecker "realise" will come out as "realize". Hardly a hanging offence, or is that offense?

On the usual should of, their/there, been/being mistakes? Yep I admit sometimes they do grate on me and I think WTF. I'll further admit that it can make me think less of the typist behind it. Lately TBH it grates on me less and I look behind the content of the post rather than the mistakes. I've read enough posts over the years with letter perfect spelling and grammar where the poster was eloquently exposing themselves as an utter gobshíte.

With many grammar nazis there is the impression of "how great am I" going on and not a little elitism. Feverishly fapping over a misplaced apostrophe thinking this negates the content behind it. I think less of those people most of all. For me it's as daft as thinking someone's accent or background makes it somehow easier to dismiss their views and opinions.

Just read your post now, didn't realise there was a reply. Fair enough he's dyslexic, but I'm sure you can understand why I thought it might be a troll.

Anyway, I try not to talk too much ****e, we all do from time to time, but generally speaking I try to be as constructive as possible.

The odd spelling mistake etc is absolutely forgivable, even misplaced commas are fine sometimes. I don't think consistent misspelling and bad grammar is quite so forgivable though, I find it harder to take the poster seriously and automatically assume they have a low IQ. Sometimes that's not the case but I will admit to stereotyping on that one.

Won't apologise for it, it's just something that annoys me and believe me I very often resist the urge to correct someone, it's bloody hard!

Dave147 wrote: »
    Won't apologise for it, it's just something that annoys me and believe me I very often resist the urge to correct someone, it's bloody hard!

What a difficult life you must have surrounded by all us feeble-minded dullards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I'm a bit of a grammer and spelling nazi i just cant stand it when I'm reading a thread and there's a load of mistakes. Your not going to be taken serious if you don't have decent grammer. Get it right its not hard!

• Advertisement

I'm a bit of a grammer and spelling nazi i just cant stand it when I'm reading a thread and there's a load of mistakes. Your not going to be taken serious if you don't have decent grammer. Get it right its not hard!

facepalm-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1158.jpg

Advertisement