Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Hi Nicky, I looked at the HARI schedule of fees booklet and HSG isn't listed. I'm unsure what it cost me as I got it done as part of the laparoscopy surgery (that and a D&C, total cost was about €4000, I only paind €600 [VHI]).
    I saw another procedure called 'cyst drainage' in the booklet and that was listed as €200. I'd say there's more to that procedure than an HSG so the cost should be around the same or lower than that I would imagine....

good luck with it and keep us posted. Ladies swear by taking 2 x Neurofen+ a half an hour before the procedure. I've heard if your tubes aren't block you hardly feel a thing, with a blockage there may be a bit of pressure whilst they clear it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Lucyfur havent tested.... I'm going to leave till the weekend and then see. I always get my hopes up. so going to leave as long as possible, no other possible signs, boobs not sore etc. and i hate the disappointment of seeing the test result !!

nicky987 hope all goes well for you this week

Fri.day a good chin wag is what was needed. Fingers crossed for this month.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

yay! I can't wait to get off Clomid! I'll let ya know what drugs they give me. why are they changing up your meds - are the new ones more potent or something?

I am 6 days past ovulation. Doc said there's no egg this month so I'm not even thinking there is a possibility of conception (even though we still tried anyway), just can't wait to start injects. I didn't temp as a result and have only updated important data on my chart (e.g. intercourse days, O signs), and I must say I am much more relaxed for it.
    I've to go to an IVF seminar on 5th Sept, you have to attend if you are considering IVF (not that we are yet but it's good to get that box ticked), and sign something to state that you understand the process and associated risks. Then on 8th Sept (I should be cd 2/3) I am heading in to get a lesson on using the meds and take it from there. I also have to do a post coital test around O time next cycle, you aren't allowed to even shower after the sex, scarlet :o

By the way I injured my leg running and need to give up Couch-2-5K for a while. I'm devastatated, just when I was getting used to it and starting to enjoy it, I'll be back to square 1 when I start again :( It happened last Monday, felt OK on Tuesday so ran again on Wednesday, was in bits on Thurs. Need to go and get some anti-inflammatory gel or something..... Walking is fine. running, going up/down stairs is very sore, the pain is right in my knee joint...

hope you're all enjoying the weekend. We are finishing our deck and finally the chimney sweeper is coming to remove the fly and bird nests from our chimney! I don't envy him.
    On a celebratory note my OH is finally back in full time employment! \O/

Hi DF - I dont know why they are changing the meds - I get the prescription in the post during the TWW so I only got it friday evening, since my mother was here I couldnt be all antisocial like I normally am and google, but will do that over the next few days and find out.

Thats embarassing about your post-coital. I had my smear done during ovulation and I was morto. My GP asked me about my smear last year and what stage my cycle was in, then she was just like "oh, I'll do it now for you so, wont take a min" and I told her I was ovulating and had sex that morning and she was totally unfazed. That, and having 2 dildocams while on my period, I've become rather blase about what state I'm in when they are poking around anymore!

I've been crap on the Couch to 5k. must start it up again. promise. But you should stay off running until you are well healed or you will only do more damage.

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Hope all is doing well?

Took some time out from the thread as i was getting a bit obsessed with it!

Im due to be having the HSG test at the rotunda this week (im absolutely petified about it!!!!!) does anyone know the cost of this? i havent even asked now begining to think about how much it will be.

Cheers ladies, and please all keep positive.

Nicky - I got one last November. Its sore, but only for mere seconds, like a bad period cramp but its gone again very soon. I had a cuppa after and I was grand to drive. Take 2 nurofen+ beforehand, and you wont be too bad. And bring your own sanitary towel for the dye afterwards - the ones you get in the hospital are the huge old fashioned ones - feels like a full size pillow in your drawers. Any other questions feel free to ask!

I think I paid 200 for mine, but that was in the Bons in Galway. Hope its over nice and quick for you - focus on the fact that there seems to be anecdotal evidence that a lot of women concieve after the procedure - the unproven theory is that it flushes out your tubes of tiny obstacles and its easier for sperm to meet egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Newbie best of luck with the sperm meets egg plan. I found using the cough bottle very effective for increasing cm, tasted vile though!

I'm intrigued by the cough syrup? Is it just normal Benylin or something?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

newbie! wrote: »

The active ingredient you should look for is guaifenesin. It should say it on the label. What it does is loosen and thin mucus in the body. Since CM also needs to thin and loosen during ovulation it can help the process along.

I think the Red Benylin or Exputex brands might contain it, but do check before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Neyite wrote: »
    The active ingredient you should look for is guaifenesin. It should say it on the label. What it does is loosen and thin mucus in the body. Since CM also needs to thin and loosen during ovulation it can help the process along.

I think the Red Benylin or Exputex brands might contain it, but do check before you buy.

It's also important that guaifenesin is the only active ingredient as levomenthol or decongestant can cancel out the effects of the guaifenesin.

I feel like I'm on a 3.5 week wait this month. Between the maca and our wedding anniversary we can't keep our hands off each other. Though my husband was disappointed to learn that the 2-3 times a day we were averaging at the weekend would have to stop. :smug: He's having tonight off so he can regenerate the guys a bit. Then we'll start up again at a more orderly pace to be ready for what will probably be a weekend ovulation.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Sounds like I need to get this Maca stuff :D
    I've been monitoring this month to ensure hormones are back to normal and we are now in high fertility, so I guess I might just grab the hubbie tonight and give it a go :D The next week will be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

newbie! wrote: »

What Iguana & Neyite said :D I think it was the Benylin I got in the end, tastes vile but really really effective for increasing cervical mucus.

Omg Iguana you'll never get your other half off the maca if its that effective on him already! Fingers crossed all that activity will pay off now :)

I found the Benylyn and cough mixtures in general useless, and after a few days the taste becomes vile! Having said that I've heard it work wonders for others, my stupid body just won't co-operate! gah!!

Oh god Neyite you've been through the wars. I'd be mortified if I had to get a smear done post-coit!:eek:

Keep me updated on how you're getting on with the new stims. I hope you don't over stimulate like last time. fingers crossed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I've never posted in this section before but I've recently been having thoughts towards children.

My question is does being fit actually have an impact on labour? I don't mean if you are healthier therefore you'll have a healthier pregnancy, I mean when you are actually in labour and dealing with contractions and pushing etc is it actually easier for your body to cope with if you are fit and your body is in good condition.

Oh god Neyite you've been through the wars. I'd be mortified if I had to get a smear done post-coit!:eek:

Keep me updated on how you're getting on with the new stims. I hope you don't over stimulate like last time. fingers crossed ;)

Well, havent started yet - still in the two week wait. Apparently there is a better ovarian response on Puregon than Clomid. Puregon is a recombinant FSH (pure FSH) and is new enough on the market. It has a better response than the traditional urinary FSH. (urinary FSH being a product from the URINE of post-menopausal women, - Usually from nuns apparently) (??) So, prior to Puregon coming on the market, women were injected with Nuns Piss. :eek:. Seriously!!
    I've never posted in this section before but I've recently been having thoughts towards children.

My question is does being fit actually have an impact on labour? I don't mean if you are healthier therefore you'll have a healthier pregnancy, I mean when you are actually in labour and dealing with contractions and pushing etc is it actually easier for your body to cope with if you are fit and your body is in good condition.

I know I went on a bit of a health kick when TTC. Not only so that my body is in better condition to get pregnant, but also to maintain that pregnancy safely and hopefully it will translate to having extra stamina during labour, whenever that arrives for me. My mother certainly said that she thought she had it easier than overweight women in her ward on her babies, and reckoned it was because she was overall fitter. I have heard that recovering from birth is quicker if your fitness levels are pretty good beforehand.
    What Iguana & Neyite said :D I think it was the Benylin I got in the end, tastes vile but really really effective for increasing cervical mucus.

Omg Iguana you'll never get your other half off the maca if its that effective on him already! Fingers crossed all that activity will pay off now :)

Reports of increased horniness in ths household too. Havent yet sampled as I was away from home on a girlie weekend but he is deffo feeling more frisky than normal!

On the cough mixture, I didnt see much of a difference, but then I probably didnt take it as much as I should have, I used Preseed instead.

How often should you take the cough medicine? I only used it the month I got pregnant 3 years ago and I just took a swig every now and then. But I've decided to give it a go this month and got a bottle of Robitussin this evening. (It's another thing that has set me off on another of of the WTF rants I find myself on since moving back to Ireland as in England you can get cough syrup on the shelf of any supermarket, so you can check the ingredients yourself and it only costs 80p a bottle for own brand stuff. Tonight I paid over €6 for a bottle 1/3 of the size! The petrol for a trip to Newry would be cheaper.)

I did notice that the Benylin they offered me has levomenthol in it, which may be the reason some people were finding it ineffective, if that's the kind they used?

cough medicine I've never heard of this , but not the most expensive remedy so may try it.

Its the 30th August I'm late, my cycle last month was short so I'm half expecting this one to be longer, so not getting hopes up. If the first sign of pregnancy is crying for a week non stop over silly things maybe i am :D reckon just the hormones going crazy. no other signs.

baby dust to everyone :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

I'm back to day 1 again, but I have a plan for this month. Its all written down with lovely coloured pens and all!! Going to try the benylin, grapefruit juice (its supposed to help cm), zinc for himself, I'm going to try to find a health shop that sells meca so thats on the list too and we are going to follow the sperm meets egg plan. Woman on a mission this month! My niece is due a baby (ahh that makes me feel way too old) in 2 months & I'm damned if I am going to sit crying when the baby arrives because its never going to be our turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

applesock wrote: »
    cough medicine I've never heard of this , but not the most expensive remedy so may try it.

Its the 30th August I'm late, my cycle last month was short so I'm half expecting this one to be longer, so not getting hopes up. If the first sign of pregnancy is crying for a week non stop over silly things maybe i am :D reckon just the hormones going crazy. no other signs.

baby dust to everyone :);)
    My fingers are crossed for you. Are you going to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hi Guys

Am back from my hols in Clare and had plenty of TTC sex. Was a chore, it was so nice having some months off to just enjoy ourselves without the pressure of TTC. We both were totally turned off my the end of the week :) but gave it our best shot :D

For anyone who is interested i stick to Deanna's plan as it worked for me before. Exputex is my drug of choice as it doesn't taste bad and I often take it anyway as I'm asthmatic.

Have been keeping up a bit with matters in here and am thrilled for the success stories.

ps. Lucyfur - my smear came back ok so phew! Did you get retested?

Grawns wrote: »
    Am back from my hols in Clare and had plenty of TTC sex. Was a chore, it was so nice having some months off to just enjoy ourselves without the pressure of TTC. We both were totally turned off my the end of the week :) but gave it our best shot :D

Try maca, seriously. I don't think it's possible for us to get pregnant this month. We had our planned night off, went to bed with our books, I wore a slightly dumpy pair of pyjamas, all set for some reading followed by sleep. After 5 minutes I rolled over to say something to him and the next thing I know we're off.:o

Oh well, fingers crossed the maca is doing all it's stuff and making his sperm as super as our libidos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Applesock, you have me checking hourly to see if you have the test done :D

Went to his mothers (always fun!) She went mad when she saw I was looking at Double Buggies.I could only laugh, she kept saying how we have enough in one and that she will get caught to look after them both (we live in Dublin, she lives in Clare so I fail to see her logic!) so I just laughed and taunted her with the old "well it may be too late for that already :D" God I can be a bítch :D

Don't think we will have luck here this month, but who knows.

Hope everyone else is having better luck! Baby dust xx

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Grawns wrote: »
    Hi Guys

For anyone who is interested i stick to Deanna's plan as it worked for me before. Exputex is my drug of choice as it doesn't taste bad and I often take it anyway as I'm asthmatic.

Have been keeping up a bit with matters in here and am thrilled for the success stories.

ps. Lucyfur - my smear came back ok so phew! Did you get retested?

Yay for clear smears!!

I didn't get retested this month as I was away at the time they wanted to do the retest (day 15). I'll go next cycle if we're not lucky this month, which I don't think we are...no sore boobs and they'd be like melons now if I was pregnant.

In other news, I had my interview for my course this morning and I got a place:D I'm delighted:D

• Advertisement

Lucyfur congrats on your course
    Goodne your plan sounds great :) I'm going to have to look up the sperm meets egg plan, sounds interesting.

I still haven't tested as i was saying my cycle was very short last month so maybe just going back to normal now... will test by sunday if still no sign :) unless constant headaches and early sign... boobs still feel fine no tenderness time will tell :)

Yay for Lucyfur The Swot! :D

Feeling a bit frustrated today. Should be getting my period today, but cant test because the Trigger shot will give a false positive, and want to test because I havent got my period yet. GAH!

My boobs are really sore, but they usually get a bit like that pre-period so not reading into it too much.

...ok, just googled POAS.com, says you should allow 1 day for every 1000 ui of HCG, so by that reckoning since I got 10,000 ui, then it works out 10 days before I should test. So since today is day 14 since the Trigger shot, I tested with a cheapie just now. One Line.:(

If I dont get my period during the night I will test again in the morning just to piss myself off some more. Was really hopeful about the 3 follicles.

Would really love it this month before I move on to the Nuns Piss injections (well, ok its manufactured FSH in the Puregon but I will forever think of it as Holy Wee after googling what FSH injections used to be made of.) Just imagining my old teachers lining up their jars in the loo to make a few quid. Ewwww.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Ok I just double checked - I took Robitussin Plus & on the label it says it contains 100mg/5ml of Guaifenesin just in case that helps anyone :)
    I couldn't find a guide on the sperm meets egg plan about how much to take so just took 5ml a day.

Neyite I'm shocked about the nuns piss - really?! :eek: Though I remember hearing of this hair conditioner that was supposed to be fab & it contained bull semen so I suppose there could be all sorts in the medicines we use!
    I'm sorry you didn't get your positive, could it be too early yet maybe? even with the hcg count down?

Lucyfur - congrats on the course!!! fab news :) fingers crossed your next smear will be clear.

Wolfpawnpat you're so bold teasing your poor mum in law to be :D what a peculiar response from her though about her not wanting you to have another baby!

Iguana you are the best advertising for Maca :D I wish I had been taking it months ago!

Grawns, that's brill that your smear came back clear & that you had a good break away in Clare :) Fingers crossed for you this month!

Applesock fingers & toes crossed for you! i really admire your restraint, I wouldn't have been able to stop myself testing days ago!

Goodne, you're a woman on a mission this month alright :D I was the same though & only felt happy when I had a plan of action in place. Here's hoping all your effort will pay off :)

pixibean22 - I think being in good physical health can certainly help in labour & definitely with ttc,
    I don't think you need to be able to run marathons by any means, but rather to be healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Gonna get me some maca :eek:

Have woken up to extremely sore boobs :eek::eek:

If I'm pregnant this month I'm going to bottle his spermies and sell them. I'll be rich in no time. There's a market for that kinda thing somewhere on the internet I'm sure....

Neyite...Fingers crossed it's just too early for testing. Nuns piss is mad, love your image of them queuing up with jam jars :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Gotta get me some MACA too but none for the other half, the only time he's not 120% up for it is when it's essential. Typical.

7 days to test and fingers crossed.
    When do you test Lucyfur?????

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

So,,,, I survived the HSG. HAd it done yesterday - wasnt as painful as i had imagined but wasnt very pleasent either - had tot try around 5 times as my cervix is quite far back or something i think. Now have to wait 7 weeks for the results. He said that at a quick look all looks fine so what next? bloods - normal, HSG normal - but still not ovulating!!! frustrating. can anyone think what they will try next? Clomid hasnt worked on two cycles and still needing to take provera to bring on periods.

Baby dust to all

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Hey All, everyone seems to be in good form and quite positive, I promise not to bring ye down ;)
    After getting a clearblue positive OPK on Sunday we did the deed Sun, Mon, skipped Tues, then did it again last night,Wed.
    I got a positive OPK Sunday but it was negative from monday onwards.
    Wed and today, Thurs, I have this EWCM so we`re probably going for it again this evening...
    I was temping too and it was low til this morning when it went up from 36.00 to 36.46, so did I ovulate yesterday (wed) or am I ovulating for 2 days this week (wed+Thurs)??
    How does this sound to ye?
    The OPK was positive only for Sunday really so when was I fertile?
    It`s all so technical..:confused:

9th wedding anniversary and BFN on my last ever (10th!) Clomid cycle. Stupid Clomid. ah well.....
    Starting injects next Thurs. BRING IT! :cool:

Nicky987 wrote: »
    So,,,, I survived the HSG. HAd it done yesterday - wasnt as painful as i had imagined but wasnt very pleasent either - had tot try around 5 times as my cervix is quite far back or something i think. Now have to wait 7 weeks for the results. He said that at a quick look all looks fine so what next? bloods - normal, HSG normal - but still not ovulating!!! frustrating. can anyone think what they will try next? Clomid hasnt worked on two cycles and still needing to take provera to bring on periods.

Baby dust to all

Go Nicky! well done you!
    I'm confused about the 7 week wait for results, I thought the HSG result was instantaneous, i.e. they see if the fluid can pass through the tubes and spill out into abdominal cavity. Job done. What test are they talking about? Am just curious as I had one too and there was no mention of waiting for further results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Wolfpawnpat you're so bold teasing your poor mum in law to be :D what a peculiar response from her though about her not wanting you to have another baby!

She's odd at the best of times. She feels if we have a family we won't be inclined to take her in when she is elderly:rolleyes: I just nod..... and tease!

Went to the zoo today with the small fella. Got depressed looking at all the other kids that had siblings to play with. My fella kept going over trying to play with them and on the luas home he was trying to interact with a 6month old. Had me near tears! Also the amount of pregnant women (I blame the Arctic winter:D) around is astounding, I seem to notice them more now that I want to be one of them.

DFT - good attitude to have, having a positive attitude makes it a little easier to tackle the harder things I find :)

Have you done your test Lucyfur?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement