Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It looks like we are safe to start trying again after all.:D DNA fragmentation tends to occur in the transport stage of sperm production rather than cell production so he should be back to normal quite quickly. He's under orders to "clear his pipes" daily until we get back to trying again next week, so that any old sperm are washed away and the transport tubes are cleared out.

I've been reading up on sperm DNA fragmentation and it's something some of the long termers here might want to get their other halfs to look into. Sperm DNA fragmentation has really only been discovered in the last few years but since it's been studied it's become apparent that a lot of unexplained infertility is as a result of DNA fragmentation. This doesn't show up in standard motility and quantity tests, but there is a new test that will show it and it could be worth trying to get your doctor to do it so it can be confirmed or ruled out. If it's confirmed there are quite a few options for reversing it and they tend to work very fast. If it's irreversible due to tube damage then another option is to remove the sperm directly from the testes for IVF, because the fragmentation doesn't appear to occur in there. In cases where the sperm is removed directly from the testes, success rates for IVF soar to 60%!

I'm hopeful that with my husband off his meds (and us both on a gazillion supplements) we're back to square one again. (In a good way.) My second round of hormone tests and my smear tests came back normal so I'm not going to do any ovulation testing for the next couple of goes. We'll just have sex every day or two once my period finishes. And I'm going to avoid counting days and always knowing exactly what day I'm on and how soon 'til I can test (yeah right!:rolleyes:) so hopefully we can stay saner about it. I booked one of those groupon type deals for a stay in Carlingford recently so I think we'll try and slot that in for the later end of this cycle as a nice distraction.

I'm also about 50 thousand times less depressed since I started taking more iron. I can't believe how bad an effect something so small was having on me. So hopefully even if we don't get pregnant right away we'll have some fun.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Quick question, has anyone felt all the symptons of period pain and gotten a positive on a preg test? I have the sorest boobs and feel wrecked and am due AF today or tomorrow (am on day 36 and last months cycle was 37days) but have everything crossed that she wont arrive. I'm only off the pill 5 months and am still only getting to know my body's aches and pains!
    Should also add, (TMI coming) had a tiny reddy brown bit of discharge last night so was sure that AF would arrive but still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

newbie! wrote: »
    Quick question, has anyone felt all the symptons of period pain and gotten a positive on a preg test? I have the sorest boobs and feel wrecked and am due AF today or tomorrow (am on day 36 and last months cycle was 37days) but have everything crossed that she wont arrive. I'm only off the pill 5 months and am still only getting to know my body's aches and pains!
    Should also add, (TMI coming) had a tiny reddy brown bit of discharge last night so was sure that AF would arrive but still nothing.
    The sympthoms of peroid pain and early pregnancy can be very similar ans as my doctor told me you can NEVER get a FALSE positive result in a pregnancy test its impossible seemly!! you can get a false negative as the hsg arent strong enough though;)

I tried one of the 6day First Positive tests last week and got a negative :( but i prob was 6-7 days prior to period. Am trying to convince myself that I'm not pregnant as I know I'll be gutted when AF does make an appearance. :(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I tried one of the 6day First Positive tests last week and got a negative :( but i prob was 6-7 days prior to period. Am trying to convince myself that I'm not pregnant as I know I'll be gutted when AF does make an appearance. :(

Test again tommorow morning if you still havent gotten your period. Its a whole week in the difference and would be a massive increase in the HGC hormone levels if you were pregnant.

Fingers crossed for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

I`ve had a good weekend, I`ve now gone 2 days without a cry and was out for dinner with friends and although the m/c and pregnancy came up in conversation I wasn`t too upset. I was so glad as I was afraid that after a few drinks I`d be a mess.
    Y/day had a good fun day out and about with my husband and we managed to have a laugh, I didn`t think I`d be doing that for months, he didn`t know what to do or how to help me during the m/c so that caused a huge upset between us ans now thankfully we managed to sort through that.
    :)
    Did I miss the "mysterious" Penquin`s BFP being outed? I had guessed who it was so Congrats to you too but I won`t out you just in case..

Black smoke at the vatican...so depressed, thought this was it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Sorry about that Newbie, I suppose you know where you`re at now.
    I`ve started OPK testing now hoping to catch ovulation, but it`s only 2 weeks since my m/c and 3 days since the bleeding/spotting stopped so anyone got any ideas as to how soon I would ovulate or get period??
    Has anyone gotten pregnant before their first period after m/c?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Fri.Day wrote: »
    Sorry about that Newbie, I suppose you know where you`re at now.
    I`ve started OPK testing now hoping to catch ovulation, but it`s only 2 weeks since my m/c and 3 days since the bleeding/spotting stopped so anyone got any ideas as to how soon I would ovulate or get period??
    Hi Fri.Day we got pregnant straight away after first miss. I counted two weeks from end of bleeding and went with that ovulation time. Unfortunately for us it didn't stick but the hospital said that had nothing to do with how soon we conceived. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Fri.Day wrote: »

I think it can vary with each woman. After my miscarriage last year (natural at 8 weeks) I had my next period exactly 4 weeks later.
    I'm not too sure of the fact in this, but I have been told more than once that you're supposed to be more fertile in the cycle following a miscarriage.
    I'm not sure what that's based on though.
    I'm glad you had a good weekend with your husband, sounds like it did you both the world of good.

Newbie sorry you didn't get a positive :( did you test again or get your period? if your period hasn't arrived hopefully there might still be hope yet x

Iguana that's fantastic news!!! The very best of luck with trying now :) Its great that the iron is having such a positive result so far too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

iguana wrote: »
    It looks like we are safe to start trying again after all.:D DNA fragmentation tends to occur in the transport stage of sperm production rather than cell production so he should be back to normal quite quickly. He's under orders to "clear his pipes" daily until we get back to trying again next week, so that any old sperm are washed away and the transport tubes are cleared out.

I've been reading up on sperm DNA fragmentation and it's something some of the long termers here might want to get their other halfs to look into. Sperm DNA fragmentation has really only been discovered in the last few years but since it's been studied it's become apparent that a lot of unexplained infertility is as a result of DNA fragmentation. This doesn't show up in standard motility and quantity tests, but there is a new test that will show it and it could be worth trying to get your doctor to do it so it can be confirmed or ruled out. If it's confirmed there are quite a few options for reversing it and they tend to work very fast. If it's irreversible due to tube damage then another option is to remove the sperm directly from the testes for IVF, because the fragmentation doesn't appear to occur in there. In cases where the sperm is removed directly from the testes, success rates for IVF soar to 60%!

Iguana, I'm very interested in this - We are unexplained and I would just love to know what I need to fix. Did youse get that test? how much did it cost? From initial googling, it seems DNA Fragmentation is a factor in recurrent misscarriages, and though thats not my issue, I would love to know more. Gonna google a bit, but if you have any links to what you have read I would be very interested in showing it to my other half.

I am so delighted you are back on the TTC wagon with us - hopefully you will get good news really quickly.

I had got maca tablets for myself after Penguins good news, but was told by the clinic I shouldnt really take them as Im on the clomid, pregnyl and parlodel, so mentioned to himself that he could take them or I would return them. Well, he didnt seem interested at first, then had a read up on them and once he realised that it would increase his studliness he couldnt wait :p. But, he does smoke, and would be hitting the weekly recommended limit on booze so I believe that those might factor in our problems, hence me wanting to know a bit more about DNA Frag.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

thanks neyite no just the big 30 lol were did u get the maca tablets ? my OH smokes and drinks aswel. Has anyone ever tried pregnecare i saw the in the chemist earlier.

newbie sorry you didn't get your positive, but like you said still a couple of days to go fingers crossed.

Newbie sorry you didn't get a positive :( did you test again or get your period? if your period hasn't arrived hopefully there might still be hope yet x

No still no period but I think I have to trust the test. Back to another month of trying.

Barbiegirl and Fri.Day, best of luck with trying again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

No still no period but I think I have to trust the test. Back to another month of trying.

Newbie I tested negative at 11dpo and had all the symptoms of AF then to my utter shock I had a faint positive at 13dpo, AF was due 3 days later.
    You know your body better than anyone but I really wouldn't give up until AF arrives.

Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

applesock wrote: »
    I've been very emotional today so now wondering if i got my dates wrong & actually my period is coming... i watched sex and the city and sobbed all the way through it getting dumped at the alter ( me and other half are engaged) and charlotte getting pregnant was all to much. Feel so down today, I've actually just been saying a pray that I'm pregnant by christmas. In the new year if no success i will go to the doctor. I think also the impending birthday thats has been stressing so much.
    Hope everyone is keeping well.

Hugs Applesock, the feeling is a well known one to us all here. I burst out crying one day because I saw a mother who has no time for her child giving out about it while I am trying so hard for one.

I keep thinking that at 24 I should be able to conceive a child no problem, but after months nothing :( Can be disheartening some days.
    I went to tescos to buy tampons thinking my period was coming, 5 weeks later I was told I was over 2 months pregnant! So yes, they can be identical :)

Applesock, I got the Maca in the health food shop, so he took it for the first time tonight. I think that I am going to get the Wellman Fertility supplements (any chemist or boots) and folic acid for him. Plus he has agreed to give quitting the fags another go, and will limit his booze intake. Since I do the cooking, Im going to ramp up the good foods we both need - I eat pretty good, lots of fruit and veg, and I do make healthy non fatty/salty/sugary dinners but he needs to improve fruit and veg a bit.

Operation Sperm is underway! :D

Neyite wrote: »
    Since I do the cooking, Im going to ramp up the good foods we both need - I eat pretty good, lots of fruit and veg, and I do make healthy non fatty/salty/sugary dinners but he needs to improve fruit and veg :D

This is something I was thinking about recently too. I drink about 2 coffees and 2 teas every day and wonder if I need to cut back. What other food tips do people have? I've been taking colic acid for months and have just started a multivitamin too.

Still no AF although the cramps are getting worse so I'd imagine it'll appear by tomorrow night. Still hoping though....

This is something I was thinking about recently too. I drink about 2 coffees and 2 teas every day and wonder if I need to cut back. What other food tips do people have? I've been taking colic acid for months and have just started a multivitamin too.

Still no AF although the cramps are getting worse so I'd imagine it'll appear by tomorrow night. Still hoping though....

you are on the right track with the Folic Acid and Multivitamin. I cut back tea and coffee - I just have a massive coffee when I get into work, and stopped my tea at 11. Occasionally I have a tea when I come home but not all the time. I fill up a litre bottle of water in work and drink that, and usually have another pint during the evening at home.

Apart from that, I just have a proper dinner with a veg of sorts, and a salad /salad sandwich for lunch, banana for 11, and try to have as much fruit in the evenings. I miss tuna, but quit that due to mercury levels staying in the system. I used to be a right hoor for crisps, but have limited myself to one bag a day. I dont drink booze much really anyway, but if I did, I would have considered cutting down. I try to include cheese or yoghurt in my lunch because I hate milk on its own, so try to get a bit of dairy.

Really its been easy enough - limit my crisps, chocolate, and booze, and ramp up the fruit, veg and dairy. But at the weekend, if i feel like pigging out a bit, I can because I have been really good all week. I also started walking to work - a good 15 mins brisk walk, since March, though I will probably have to use the car come winter. I'm hoping to get back into the Couch to 5k and want to take up Yoga again because it was so calming.

your not out of the running yet! fingers crossed!!

Neyite wrote: »
    Iguana, I'm very interested in this - We are unexplained and I would just love to know what I need to fix. Did youse get that test? how much did it cost? From initial googling, it seems DNA Fragmentation is a factor in recurrent misscarriages, and though thats not my issue, I would love to know more. Gonna google a bit, but if you have any links to what you have read I would be very interested in showing it to my other half.

We haven't gotten any tests for him yet apart from his hormone tests. The doctor wants us to give it a few months now that he is off the medications and see what happens. If we don't have any success then we'll get the three tests for him, motility, quantity and dna. I'm not sure what the fragmentation tests cost but imo it will be worth paying for it as it will save me having to do more invasive tests if that's where our problem is. This is a private clinic which does the test if your doctor doesn't know of a HSE source. http://www.repromed.ie/

Fragmentation is a factor in miscarriages but according to one source it's very common for the miscarriage to happen on day 8 after conception, so most people never even know it's happened. Apparently on day 8 the paternal dna needs to activate the next stage and often that dna just isn't there in a lot of fragmentation cases. And it also means that the conception is less likely to happen as often the sperm can't make the difficult journey to the egg.

I like the video on this link. It's aim is to sell tests to medical professionals but there is some good information. http://www.halotechdna.com/en/dna_fragmentation/clinical_dna_fragmentation

And these two pages have some good info, the first has details on improved IVF rates with testicular sperm and the second is just general info. http://malereproduction.com/male-infertility/ http://malereproduction.com/male-infertility/scsa/

Well if you really want to know.......;)

Neither of us drink or smoke so luckily that's not something we have to give up (hoorah for liver failure!). I switched over to Rooibos tea, it takes a bit of getting used to but is nice once you do. It's naturally caffeine free and unlike a lot of herbal teas, which can be associated with abortificant effects, rooibos is recommended for specifically recommended for pregnancy because of it's specific health benefits. I cut out all normal coffee and found a good Swiss Water decaff which has less caffeine than a chocolate biscuit. (This has actually been hugely beneficial to me as I used to get really bad TMJ which has disappeared since I stopped drinking coffee.) I also don't drink coke or similar drinks during the two week wait.

I avoid fish in those two weeks, bagged salads (apart from unwashed organic), sweet potatoes and petite pois (as they are mild contraceptives) and certain supplements. I eat pineapple for 3 days around ovulation, including the core as that helps implantation but after that you should avoid it.

As for supplements we both take royal jelly, bee pollen, bee propolis (only for the first 2 weeks of my cycle for me) maca, spirulina and omega 3 fish oils. I also take agnus castus, evening primrose oil (for the first 2 weeks of the cycle), pregnacare conception, extra iron (for my anemia) and extra magnesium when I have muscle tension. He also takes, Kudzu, L-Glutamine and wellman conception. If we are out of the wellman or pregnacare we both take a pregnancy supplement which has a lot of the same ingredients and is about a quarter of the cost. I really need to take a picture of all my potions and post it up here.

Most of what we eat is prepared from scratch which has been necessary since my husband's liver and kidney's failed, so we have a pretty health diet overall. My husband could eat sweets for Ireland, but I think he's eating less since I added L-Glutamine to his supplements as that cuts sugar cravings as well as strengthening sperm production. I eat loads of dairy because I love it and apparently full fat dairy can improve ovulation. We have two springer spaniels and live alongside a river so we get plenty of walks, my husband also cycles to work everyday. I go to yoga classes when I'm not in the two week wait and I also do fertility yoga on a dvd, which I can do during those two weeks. I'm trying to add a twice-thrice weekly cardio routine to my exercise but I still haven't the energy, which I guess is an effect of the anaemia but I'll definitely give it more of a go once I perk up a bit more, maybe disco cardio to make it more fun.

Still no AF this morning although I really do feel like she'll arrive today. Today is day 37 which is the length of last months cycle. Since coming off the pill I've had a 67day cycle and a 37 day cycle. I would have expected this one to be the same or less than 37. Do you think it could increase again?

On the food issue, I'm going to look for a good decaf coffee and try to drink more red-bush tea when in work. I'm already trying to loose weight so am back on the fruit and veg. Must pay more attention to when I am eating fish etc though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Custard Cream

Morning all. Newbie, I cut down on tea, although I was drinking a huge amount every day. To be honest it was really just a reason to get up from my desk. I still drink peppermint tea and ginger with lemon, it's lovely. I have my fingers crossed for you this month.

I went to the doc's last night. So he has my due date as April 26th 2012. I rang the Rotunda this morning and I'm all booked in for my scan on October 10th. A bit nervous and excited now, it's suddenly very real. We still haven't told anybody. It was very hard not to tell my Mom on Sunday but I'm glad I didn't. My Mom had 5 miscarriages so I suppose I'm just a bit paranoid that something will go wrong. I've had a lot of cramping the past week. Not bad ones just the ones you get when your period is due. The doctor said it's nothing to worry about and it's very common and normal. He was really lovely and said to ring him any time if I've any questions as did the Rotunda.

So there ya go, little baba is definitely there. I feel great though, although I'm getting nothing done in work. My mind just keeps wandering and I kept help but think of what my life is going to be like. Oh and my other half was accepted to UCD to do his masters:D

On the food issue, I'm going to look for a good decaf coffee and try to drink more red-bush tea when in work.

This is the decaf I get. It's hard to get one in shops that isn't chemically decaffeinated and while they are probably fine the rest of the time, I'd be wary of the chemicals while (possibly) pregnant. I buy the beans and grind them fresh and make it in a moka pot as that's the best way to bring out the flavour. http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/products/5/sumatran-mandheling-swiss-water-decaffeinated

Custard Cream, be careful with the peppermint tea if you drink a lot of it. It's my favourite tea and I'd happily drink 8 strong mugs a day of it, but I quit it while ttc as it can contribute to uterine contractions which can bring about a miscarriage. It's probably fine if you have a couple of small, weak cups a day but anyone with a history of miscarriage is advised to avoid it completely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Tigeress you poor thing that sounds painful. If its any consolation after me hounding my other half for nookie every ovulation time of month for the past year, he's now getting no sex til we reach the 12 week mark (just to be on the safe side!)
    Thanks Cap it's pretty painful to be honey but I'll get there :) I was the same on the 12 weeks! How are you keeping?

MS good luck on your scan :)

Hope all the 2 week waiters are doing well xx

I have my scan tomorrow & I'm really nervous.. I don't really know why as I feel our baba moving all the time now it's really weird (but in an amazing way :)!) I'll let ya know the gender tomorrow if all goes well ladies :)

Tigeress wrote: »
    I have my scan tomorrow & I'm really nervous.. I don't really know why as I feel our baba moving all the time now it's really weird (but in an amazing way :)!) I'll let ya know the gender tomorrow if all goes well ladies :)

Ah to have that feeling!!! :(

Good luck to you and Ms with your scans, I imagine it is the most amazing feeling, seeing your little bean on the monitor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Awww Newbie hum, I didn't mean to upset you :( it will happen hun, unfortunately it can take time which sucks to no end! We were trying for 2 years before our BFP..
    Sorry again hun x

Tigeress wrote: »
    Awww Newbie hum, I didn't mean to upset you :( it will happen hun, unfortunately it can take time which sucks to no end! We were trying for 2 years before our BFP..
    Sorry again hun x

Oh god no, you didnt at all. I would love to be pregnant but not to the point that I wouldnt feel glad for others who have been trying and finally gotten there.

I bought a clearblue on way home from and defo aint pregnant. Cramps getting worse so i expect AF tonight. Am considering taking agnus castus. Will someone remind when you should start it? Also did Ms or barbiegirl have awful side affects from it?

4 dpo....*drums fingers*

another 13 days till test..

I bought a clearblue on way home from and defo aint pregnant. Cramps getting worse so i expect AF tonight. Am considering taking agnus castus. Will someone remind when you should start it? Also did Ms or barbiegirl have awful side affects from it?

Sorry to hear that Newbie. If you read back a bit in this thread, someone (I cant think who) who was on Agnus Castus used it for a month, and was going to stop using it due to the side effect (think it was mostly bleeding?) but got pregnant instead. Worth it? You betcha! :D

I just found the thread and the reason the op stopped was because she had continuous spotting and bleeding for a number of days. I think I might give it a go. Do you know when you start it? Is it day one of next cycle? Also wondering if anyone has consulted with go prior to taking or would you just discuss with the pharmacist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Hi all, I have been reading this thread for months but never posted before. Its been great to know there are other people in the same situation & to have read the good news stories. So the story for us is we have been trying to get pregnant for 8 years now with no success. After a year I went to the gp & got referral for public consult. That was a disaster; was told to go home & keep trying & that he was sure I would be pregnant in no time! Got no exam or tests. So we kept trying for a few more yrs. then went private until we couldn't afford any more tests. I have a blocked left tube, but everything else is supposed to be ok. Back on the public list for the rotunda since last March & I have my appointment for next march (so quick!!!). Rang the rotunda & the gp & there is no way of getting seen quicker. Anyone know any way of getting seen quicker? Anyway sorry for the long post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement