Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Goodne, I've no advice on that one other than call them once a wk to see if can get on cancellation list. Just be polite each time (I'm sure you are) & maybe something will come of it.

Newbie - for decaf coffee - instant: I just drink the Tesco's decaf brand & it's fine. For when I want a "proper" coffee I got a bag of the Tesco ground decaf coffee & use with the plunger. Tastes fine too. I'm completely used to taste of decaf teat & coffee now, though beware of the initial 3 day headache when coming off caffeine cold turkey.

As mentioned somewhere else got first real period on day 31 after come off pill & having initial withdrawl bleed. So I'm hoping cycle just magically regulated itself. Doing that "Sperm meets Egg" plan from Deanna (?) so starting trying again Fri (day 8) & then will do my first ovulation test Sun (day 10).

Finances are an issue, so for this month I was just going to get the Tesco's brand ov tests. If nothing shows up on them, I'll switch to the more expensive ones next month if no joy. Anyone have experience with the cheaper ones?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mink wrote: »
    Finances are an issue, so for this month I was just going to get the Tesco's brand ov tests. If nothing shows up on them, I'll switch to the more expensive ones next month if no joy. Anyone have experience with the cheaper ones?

Mink - order them from ebay - Detective Foxtrot has a link to them in an earlier post of hers, or accessdiagnostics.co.uk is where I got mine. Even the tesco or boots own brand are so expensive compared to the online ones and they are just as good. Mine arrived in about 5 days in plain packaging (not even the company name on it)

Goodne - wow what a long time you have been trying :eek:. What is it you are getting your appointment for, Lap & Dye? can you go private? Has he been tested? Sorry for all the questions. I am unexplained - a bit like you, everything should be working but just isnt for some reason. So Im on TSI with Clomid and Pregnyl with a private clinic at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Started taking agnus castus today (YUCK!! :eek:) Will report back in a few weeks what it has done. Last three cycles were 67days, 37days and 37days so praying this shortens them a bit. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Hi All, hope you're keeping well. work has been manic of late, I just flop when I get home and haven't had time to post, sorry for the lack of personals.

Goodne - poor you, 8 years, wow. I cannot believe how they treated you first time round. Didn't want to bother their arses with tests!!!?? I would have filed a complaint with the Medical Council. Do you know there is a procedure called a HSG that should unblock your tube? Why don't you cost to do it privately whilst awaiting your March appt? Should only be a couple of hundred I would imagine. I can't think of any way you could get bumped up - would your GP be willing to write to them explaining you are trying 8 years? Also if age is a factor mention that and they might take it into account?

Here is the linkie for pg / ov tests on eBay - you choose the combination you desire:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/100-OVULATION-PREGNANCY-TEST-TESTS-U-CHOOSE-FP-CHART-/310339208806?pt=UK_Health_HealthCare_RL&hash=item4841a88666#ht_9165wt_905

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

newbie! wrote: »
    Started taking agnus castus today (YUCK!! :eek:)

How are you taking it? I normally take it in capsules so it's tasteless.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    How are you taking it? I normally take it in capsules so it's tasteless.

The chemist only had it in drops. I'll just need to eat food immediately after to try remove the taste. Small price if it does the job...............

Mink wrote: »
    Newbie - for decaf coffee - instant: I just drink the Tesco's decaf brand & it's fine. For when I want a "proper" coffee I got a bag of the Tesco ground decaf coffee & use with the plunger. Tastes fine too. I'm completely used to taste of decaf teat & coffee now, though beware of the initial 3 day headache when coming off caffeine cold turkey.
    QUOTE]
    This is the decaf I get. It's hard to get one in shops that isn't chemically decaffeinated and while they are probably fine the rest of the time, I'd be wary of the chemicals while (possibly) pregnant. I buy the beans and grind them fresh and make it in a moka pot as that's the best way to bring out the flavour. http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/pro...-decaffeinated

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I might allow myself to have one small coffee in the morning and then just a ginger tea in the afternoon. If I cant control myself, I will def look into the decaf stuff.

The chemist only had it in drops. I'll just need to eat food immediately after to try remove the taste. Small price if it does the job...............

I'll know to avoid that so.;) When I first bought maca I bought the powder and made it into smoothies as a lot of websites recommended. It was the nastiest thing I've ever put in my mouth. I bought it online in capsule form but even they are a bit horrible. My husband is soldiering through and taking the powder in smoothies every morning as he doesn't want to waste the powder we bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

I know now that I should have complained but at the time I was too upset & embarrassed by it all so I didn't. Obviously I suffer from ostrich syndrome so I tend to hide from it all. I did have a hsg last year but it didn't make a difference. Neyite, I am just waiting for a consult not down for any test yet. Hubbie has been tested and mobility was a bit low but doctor said it could have been because the sample was brought in from home. We did go private, I was put on clomid for 3 mths & then iui was suggested but we really can't afford to keep going private

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Newbie best of luck with the Agnus Castus, it did the trick for me in the end. The month I used it I also did the Sperm Meets Egg Plan, Preseed and I put OH on Zinc tablets and decaf coffee. I'm not sure which of these did the trick but something worked :D

Had my scan today, baba measured bang on the money of 8 weeks 5 days and had a lovely strong heartbeat. Such a relief to be able to put an image to all the changes going on :)

Fingers crossed for all the two week waiters x

• Advertisement

Had to google the egg meets sperm plan, had never heard if it! Will give it a go this month. I'm still not sure that I'm actually ovulating so might also buy a basal thermometer this week and start temping to see if that helps!

Ms that is fabulous news about your scan, must have been a bit emotional to have if all confirmed and know it's all going according to plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

MS Congrats on your scan :) delighted everything went so well x

I had my scan yest, 23 weeks already! Baba is HUGE! couldn't believe it! The Doc said she thought she knew the sex but as she wasn't 100% she wouldn't tell us :( I'm dying to know! Back in 6 weeks for the next scan so maybe then.. We only got one pic but what a pic it is! It's of baba's face! You can see a little nose and eyes (closed but still) and a mouth! I'm thinking of getting a 3D scan to find out for sure but don't know a whole lot about them so will do some reading first..

I dreamed last night I had a baby boy. I think he must have been a surprise as I had him sleeping in the bath instead of a cot and was using a cut up bath towel for a nappy. I actually changed his pooey nappy in my dream and still woke up happy.:o

When I woke up it was still early so I told myself to go back to sleep as the dream might continue but when I fell back asleep I just dreamed about being sad that I'd only dreamt the baby. To make matters worse in the dream I wrote a short story/diary entry about being sad that my baby was only a dream and my husband read it to all our friends who've recently had babies. I was angry and upset with him and stormed out. Then I woke up and was really pissed off with him for about 10 minutes before I remembered that in real life he hadn't actually done anything wrong.

I wonder is it all the supplements I'm taking!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Iguana, thanks for the heads up on peppermint tea, when I was pregnant my husband mentioned it a few times for the nausea but thankfully I didn`t have any - I would have blamed the m/c on that.
    Also I`m having mad dreams lately, quite vivid and I must say I too wake up in a mood with my hubbie, especially that time when he named the baby after me!!
    Ive done the ovulation tests now every day for the last week, sometimes twice a day, and still no nothing, all negative.
    I do feel a few cramps in the general area today so here`s hoping for this weekend.
    My mother-in-law is visiting this weekend so knowing my luck...:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Detective - I think we will be drug buddies next cycle!

I got my precription for next cycle and the changed me from clomid+pregnyl to puregon+ovitrelle. Its all injections, and in a pen type so no changing needles, flicking bubbles, tinfoil and spoon (ok just kidding on the last 2) messing around.

I think its a lot more expensive though. But, maybe I will get lucky and not need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm still not sure that I'm actually ovulating so might also buy a basal thermometer this week and start temping to see if that helps!

Forgot that I also started temping the cycle I got pregnant, I found using that and OPK's was a great way to pinpoint ovualtion, OPK's let you know you are about to ovulate and temping lets you know for certain that you have. Just remember temping lets you know after the fact that you've ovulated so best get those spermies in ahead of you're ovualtion tempature dip :)

Neyite wrote: »
    Detective - I think we will be drug buddies next cycle!

I got my precription for next cycle and the changed me from clomid+pregnyl to puregon+ovitrelle. Its all injections, and in a pen type so no changing needles, flicking bubbles, tinfoil and spoon (ok just kidding on the last 2) messing around.

I think its a lot more expensive though. But, maybe I will get lucky and not need it.

yay! I can't wait to get off Clomid! I'll let ya know what drugs they give me. why are they changing up your meds - are the new ones more potent or something?

I am 6 days past ovulation. Doc said there's no egg this month so I'm not even thinking there is a possibility of conception (even though we still tried anyway), just can't wait to start injects. I didn't temp as a result and have only updated important data on my chart (e.g. intercourse days, O signs), and I must say I am much more relaxed for it.
    I've to go to an IVF seminar on 5th Sept, you have to attend if you are considering IVF (not that we are yet but it's good to get that box ticked), and sign something to state that you understand the process and associated risks. Then on 8th Sept (I should be cd 2/3) I am heading in to get a lesson on using the meds and take it from there. I also have to do a post coital test around O time next cycle, you aren't allowed to even shower after the sex, scarlet :o

By the way I injured my leg running and need to give up Couch-2-5K for a while. I'm devastatated, just when I was getting used to it and starting to enjoy it, I'll be back to square 1 when I start again :( It happened last Monday, felt OK on Tuesday so ran again on Wednesday, was in bits on Thurs. Need to go and get some anti-inflammatory gel or something..... Walking is fine. running, going up/down stairs is very sore, the pain is right in my knee joint...

hope you're all enjoying the weekend. We are finishing our deck and finally the chimney sweeper is coming to remove the fly and bird nests from our chimney! I don't envy him.
    On a celebratory note my OH is finally back in full time employment! \O/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Home from a week in the sun, highly recommend it, batteries recharged and soooooooo chilled out:D

Am in the 2week wait but for once, I haven't a clue what day I'm on...I'm due next week sometime. My besticle is getting married on Friday, can't wait:D

Right, I'm off to catch up on everyones news...should really have done that first...I blame having to get up at 3.30 this morning:eek:

I`m having a bad day/weekend
    I`ve had to leave work early y/day and take some time out today because I couldn`t cope and ended up in tears.
    I`m getting about 2 hours exhausted sleep.
    I actually googled "how to deal with m/c"
    I`m just not getting on with things like I thought I was, the emotional pain is so bad i`m feeling it physically now.
    Whatever cramps I`m having is not period or ovulation.
    I`ve tried talking to my husband but he ends the conversation asap each time or gives me the silent treatment so I won`t go on about it.
    I feel like going nuts and I`m not much of a drinker so a bender wouldn`t help...
    It`s 3 weeks today since m/c

• Advertisement

Fri.Day wrote: »
    I`m having a bad day/weekend
    I`ve had to leave work early y/day and take some time out today because I couldn`t cope and ended up in tears.
    I`m getting about 2 hours exhausted sleep.
    I actually googled "how to deal with m/c"
    I`m just not getting on with things like I thought I was, the emotional pain is so bad i`m feeling it physically now.
    Whatever cramps I`m having is not period or ovulation.
    I`ve tried talking to my husband but he ends the conversation asap each time or gives me the silent treatment so I won`t go on about it.
    I feel like going nuts and I`m not much of a drinker so a bender wouldn`t help...
    It`s 3 weeks today since m/c

((hugs)) chick xx Talk it all out here if you feel it helps you, unfortunately a good few of us have been where you are now, we're all here to listen and support you. I have to admit, I feel sorry for the OH's when a miscarriage happens, it can be hard for them to know what to say. My OH is scared of trying again cos seeing me so broken terrified him. I had no idea of this until a couple of weeks ago when I drank too much wine and talked too much. We're both so much better about trying again now that we both know how the other is feeling.

Sometimes planting a little tree/flower can help, I have little things around the house for the babies I lost, they're not obvious to anyone else but they're precious and special to me :)

Big hugs to you Fri.day. Everything you're feeling is completely normal. Unfortunately you have to go through this pain, but you will heal, I promise. We're all hear for ya x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Fri.day I'm so sorry you are having such a terrible time x would you speak to your GP & either speak to him about your grief and/or see if he might give you something to help with the pain?

My GP put me on a mild anti depressant after mine. I only took them for a few days as they didn't agree with me at all/made me very nauseous, but just having them was a bit of a safety blanket if that makes any sense.

I think your OH might just not know what to say. In some way I don't think they can fully understand the intense grief, though that might just be my own experience.
    I hope you find some peace soon & in the mean time please feel free to vent away & get it all off your chest x

Goodne, that is such bad form of your GP/Consultant to not take your ttc concerns seriously :eek: I could understand if you hadn't been trying long, but for 8 years - they really should have taken it a lot more serious.
    I don't know if there is any way to bump up an appointment unfortunately unless as already suggested you ask for a cancellation?
    Maybe even write directly to the consultant, explain you've been trying 8 years, what treatment you have already tried & personally request from him/her a cancellation?
    I know I was referred Feb of this year for an appointment, but it was only when I rang the hospital in June/July I found out they said they never received my appt letter & made a new one for me....for December. They'd basically put me back to the end of the waiting list :mad:
    Still, sounds like there's a much shorter waiting list in the hospital I'm attending (Kilkenny).
    Could you ask your GP to refer you to an alternative hospital where waiting lists might be shorter? Best of luck either way x

Lucyfur sounds like you had a fab holiday! and prob do you the world of good too fingers crossed all that chillaxing at the pool will have increased your chances :)

Tigeress & Ms2011 so exciting that you've both had your scans!!! glad to hear all is going well with you both x
    Newbie best of luck with the sperm meets egg plan. I found using the cough bottle very effective for increasing cm, tasted vile though!

Hope everyone else is keeping well :)

Fri.Day, it's definitely worth mentioning it to your GP and even getting a health check. I was so miserable for ages this year and a big part of it has turned out to be an iron deficiency. While you will be naturally grieving from your miscarriage, it's also possible that something physical could be exacerbating how you feel. In fact your hormones are probably all over the place at the moment. I was a mess for a few months after my m/c, I was swinging manically for a while and I even had heavy pregnancy symptoms for about 3 months afterwards, so strongly that I was absolutely convinced I was pregnant again on months 2 and 3 after the m/c even though we never actually had sex!

I had a very nice wedding anniversary, I can not believe we are 5 years married already! Though on the other hand I already feel like we've been through a lifetimes worth. I gorged on sushi for what will hopefully be the last time for a long time. We had a bitter-sweet moment thinking about how we conceived 3 years ago but we tried to focus on the sweet part of the bitter-sweet. I hope I'm not building myself up for a fall but I can't shake the feeling that this is our month. It's probably the relief of being back in the saddle. (And can I just say that it's some "saddle" ladies, if your other half isn't taking the maca yet, get him on it fast. I feel like we're on honeymoon again!;))

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

im 3days late judging my last months cycle ... I've been beyond moody and emotional. No other signs, boobs not sore or anything.. hmmm shall see have had awful headaches all week, but that could b because I've had a particularly stressful week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

You're all very strong wimens! I dread the thoughts of having a miscarriage if I do get preg, it would be very very hard but I'm glad I have the support on here as others have gone through it.

On day 10 so going to get the ov tests today, didn't get to order tests on line as suggested above so would have them on time but will do next month.

Smoked & drank a lot of coffee (& other beverages) over past few days as was visiting sis so back on wagon now to give up. She has a gorgeous 2 1/2yr old which made me even more broody. Also got to pummell my sis for info on home births & using birthing pool & breastfeeding as she did this with her wee one.

Here's to happy trying for everyone. We were supposed to start Friday but I really don't like doing it in other people's houses when staying with them for a few days, they have to wash the sheets :eek:

applesock wrote: »
    im 3days late judging my last months cycle ... I've been beyond moody and emotional. No other signs, boobs not sore or anything.. hmmm shall see have had awful headaches all week, but that could b because I've had a particularly stressful week.

EEK!!!!! Have you tested??

I reckon I'm out this month. I'm due today week and if I was pregnant my boobs would be killing me by now.

thanks so much
    I made myself talk to my sister last night for about 3 hours and 2 bottles of westcoastcooler!
    Even writing about it y/day helped and yer support and PMs were great.
    I got a faint positive on the OPK last night but we didn`t do anything about it, did a clearblue one earlier so gonna give it a go for the next few nights...
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Lucyfur wrote: »
    EEK!!!!! Have you tested??

I reckon I'm out this month. I'm due today week and if I was pregnant my boobs would be killing me by now.

Oh wow test test test test!!! fingers & toes crossed for a big fat positive!!!

Fri.day I'm glad you have your sister to talk to & the best of luck with your ttc this month x

Mink that's so funny about the sheets, I'd think the same! that or be paranoid about creaky bed springs ;):D

Iguana I know exactly what you mean with the MACA, my husband didn't use them but I did & they're very effective for increasing libido! best of luck with this months ttc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Hi everyone,

Hope all is doing well?

Took some time out from the thread as i was getting a bit obsessed with it!

Im due to be having the HSG test at the rotunda this week (im absolutely petified about it!!!!!) does anyone know the cost of this? i havent even asked now begining to think about how much it will be.

Cheers ladies, and please all keep positive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement