Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He hasn't the ability to do any of those three things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It's absolutely disgusting. You'd have to wonder how this person's family feels to have the POTUS exploiting their family tragedy to go after a media personality that has criticised him. Unacceptable stuff on any level of common decency.

The fact that twitter allow it is nearly worse. If you or I did that out account would be banned and we’d be lucky to not get a visit from the Gardaí

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

fullstop wrote: »
    The fact that twitter allow it is nearly worse. If you or I did that out account would be banned and we’d be lucky to not get a visit from the Gardaí

Confirmed by a CNN reporter that the family of the person who died have been hearing from the usual suspects in regards to the conspiracy theory Trump is putting out there. Can you imagine the death of your child being used in this grotesque way, by the President of all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Confirmed by a CNN reporter that the family of the person who died have been hearing from the usual suspects in regards to the conspiracy theory Trump is putting out there. Can you imagine the death of your child being used in this grotesque way, by the President of all people.

Yep, this is actually one of the worst things he's done, and that's saying something. it's absolutely despicable and shows his total lack of compassion and humanity. He's a person that lacks any sort of basic human empathy or warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,560 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yep, this is actually one of the worst things he's done, and that's saying something. it's absolutely despicable and shows his total lack of compassion and humanity. He's a person that lacks any sort of basic human empathy or warmth.

Him having total lack of compassion and humanity shouldn't be a surprise though. I'm sure we remember the Khan family and them talking about their son who was killed in Afghanistan and his reaction to that. Everything whether it is or not he sees as a personal affront. He's someone who wanted the powers of the office but didn't understand or want to understand the responsibility of the office of president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In slightly related news, apparently OANN sued Maddow for defamation. They lost. And it might be Maddow can recover her legal expenses from them. That'd be rich.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/05/self-oann-trumps-favorite-channel-mocked-after-losing-lawsuit-against-rachel-maddow/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My heart bleeds for that young man's family; imagine doing your best to move on from the trauma of your son, brother or friend losing their life so young then to read the current 'effing US President decide to reignite the conspiracy theory that he was murdered. It's an utterly grotesque, farcical world to be in that the President winking and "just asking questions" about a debunked conspiracy theory is something passing for political normalcy. Nobody deserves that kind of renewed emotional trauma.

As ever, I loved to remind all here that the manner and content of the US President's Tweets would not be acceptable under most forum charters on Boards. Donald Trump would be carded, and possibly banned from the Politics forum for spreading a toxic, vulgar conspiracy theory (forgive me mods for presuming your business here). That's a sobering, macabre thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pixelburp wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for that young man's family; imagine doing your best to move on from the trauma of your son, brother or friend losing their life so young then to read the current 'effing US President decide to reignite the conspiracy theory that he was murdered. It's an utterly grotesque, farcical world to be in that the President winking and "just asking questions" about a debunked conspiracy theory is something passing for political normalcy. Nobody deserves that kind of renewed emotional trauma.

As ever, I loved to remind all here that the manner and content of the US President's Tweets would not be acceptable under most forum charters on Boards. Donald Trump would be carded, and possibly banned from the Politics forum for spreading a toxic, vulgar conspiracy theory (forgive me mods for presuming your business here). That's a sobering, macabre thought.

Just like Seth Rich, just like the Khan family, just like John McCain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So, when this gathers heat and starts looking bad for him (so like.....3 seconds after he tweeted it), what will be his pivot? He used "I was being sarcastic" for the bleach injections, so he might not use that one again. Will it just be a huge ruse to "GOT'EM" the media groups he doesnt like?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

You really have to feel for the family that's been dragged through this by Trump. You'd have to think that they won't speak out for fear of retaliation from MAGA loons.

Everytime I think he can't debase the office the holds any further he goes and does it.

Had to laugh at his golf (exercise) tweet, is it really exercise in hen you hop into a cart after every swing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So, when this gathers heat and starts looking bad for him (so like.....3 seconds after he tweeted it), what will be his pivot? He used "I was being sarcastic" for the bleach injections, so he might not use that one again. Will it just be a huge ruse to "GOT'EM" the media groups he doesnt like?

It doesn't matter what his response will be to those who still support him. There's nothing left for him to do which will make them question their devotion to him and/or the Republican party. This discussion thread could continue for years and his supporters who occasionally frequent the thread; will continue to try to interpret his words/actions so they make sense and/or deflect to something else that vaguely makes him/the republican party seem normal.

Gunmonkey wrote: »

I'm not sure how he can pivot away from this, but it doesn't matter anyway. He's already done the damage by spreading this nonsense on social media.

The Trump presidency shows to me that whether you are saying stuff that's based in fact doesn't matter a jot in the current social media age. If you have a big enough platform and a loud enough voice to be able to get your rubbish out to enough people, then you'll get enough of them to believe what you are saying so that it starts to become irrelevant as to whether the information is the truth or not. It's the "alternative facts" concept at work. The whole thing is a total disaster from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Twitter needs to ban him as his is breaking their charter every day. The sooner the stain of this Presidency is removed the better, November can't come soon enough.

"Repeated and/or non-consensual slurs, epithets, racist and sexist tropes, or other content that degrades someone:
    We prohibit targeting individuals with repeated slurs, tropes or other content that intends to dehumanize, degrade or reinforce negative or harmful stereotypes about a protected category."

Twitter needs to ban him as his is breaking their charter every day. The sooner the stain of this Presidency is removed the better, November can't come soon enough.

"Repeated and/or non-consensual slurs, epithets, racist and sexist tropes, or other content that degrades someone:
    We prohibit targeting individuals with repeated slurs, tropes or other content that intends to dehumanize, degrade or reinforce negative or harmful stereotypes about a protected category."

Twitter makes so much money off Trump is its a direct window in to his ramblings, I doubt they'd even consider taking him off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Leaving aside the argument that Twitter benefits financially from the exposure - TBH I'm unclear how Twitter makes money anyway, last I heard it was a loss making enterprise - to ban a sitting Political Figure would be a bell that could't be un-rung. Fair to say that 99.9% of politicians' social media presence don't come anywhere close to Trump's brazen vulgarity, but there's a known quantity of a zealous, partisan following behind him. Could you imagine the explosions from Fox - or even even rabid "free speech" types seen even on Boards - if Twitter banned an active political figure as prominent as the US President? Every bias and conspiracy theory that the Internet was bias to Liberals would become true. There's no coming back from that, while Twitter itself would become a huge Target for every department, Think Tank or Lobby Group with a grudge.

I have no love for Jack Dorsey, consider him a charlatan and his service a pox on civil or intellectual discourse, but he simply can't ban the US President.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,560 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I just saw some of his twitter storm from over the weekend and Jesus h Christ the guy is pitiful. He seemed to imply that Nancy pelosi had issues with her teeth and Stacey Abrams visited every buffet in Georgia. He also repeated that awful conspiracy theory about that staffer for Joe Scarborough who died. I mean if you listen to the Sunday shows in America both parties are well able to deal in quotable soundbites that mean nothing but even politicians here in Ireland who I may not agree with their policies, it's never a personal thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leaving aside the argument that Twitter benefits financially from the exposure - TBH I'm unclear how Twitter makes money anyway, last I heard it was a loss making enterprise - to ban a sitting Political Figure would be a bell that could't be un-rung. Fair to say that 99.9% of politicians' social media presence don't come anywhere close to Trump's brazen vulgarity, but there's a known quantity of a zealous, partisan following behind him. Could you imagine the explosions from Fox - or even even rabid "free speech" types seen even on Boards - if Twitter banned an active political figure as prominent as the US President? Every bias and conspiracy theory that the Internet was bias to Liberals would become true. There's no coming back from that, while Twitter itself would become a huge Target for every department, Think Tank or Lobby Group with a grudge.

I have no love for Jack Dorsey, consider him a charlatan and his service a pox on civil or intellectual discourse, but he simply can't ban the US President.

They did announce sometime last year that they wouldn't delete his tweets or ban him while President . They didn't mention him specifically they talked about "World Leaders" or something.

They did however commit to flagging the tweets as being in breach of their rules (a Trigger warning of sorts I guess :)).

They have yet to actually do that with any of his tweets , although I think the heat that building over this latest tweet might actually make them do what they committed to do a year ago.

Bear in mind - On the week-end that deaths in the US tracked towards 100,000 people , in between rounds of Golf he accused someone of Murder , Retweeted some failed GOP candidate who said Hilary Clinton was a "Skank" and who in another tweet that he shared called Stacy Abrams fat (Made some comment like "Looks like she visited every Buffet in the State while canvassing for Governor").

That's who 90% of GOP voters support as their President.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I agree entirely, Twitter fears a banning backlash as much as GOP party members do for challenging him. But they could easily flag his posts as offensive and contrary to their charter. Or ban him for a time period, as they do on boards. That they don't and allow his hate speech is reprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I agree entirely, Twitter fears a banning backlash as much as GOP party members do for challenging him. But they could easily flag his posts as offensive and contrary to their charter. Or ban him for a time period, as they do on boards. That they don't and allow his hate speech is reprehensible.

I think it would be extremely irresponsible to put the lives of Twitter employees at risk from the more fanatical AR-15 toting wing of Trump supporters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He's also threatening to pull the Republican National Convention from North Carolina in August if they're not allowed to fill the place to capacity.

All because, let's face it, he needs a cheering crowd. He needs the place filled to the rafters. For ego, for optics, doesn't matter. He needs a full crowd. Doesn't care that it's very unlikely the virus will be contained by then and there'd be a decent chance the virus could be spread among his own supporters. That doesn't matter.

All that matters is him standing in front of a cheering crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Unbelievable that he’s off golfing.

Not only that, here is what he tweeted on October 26 2014. On this day there was a grand total of 2 cases of Ebola in the US

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/525495434928988160

And here is Donald on Saturday 23 May 2020. On this day there was a grand total of just under 1.7 million cases of coronavirus in the US and the death toll is fast approaching 100,000 Americans who have lost their lives in this pandemic

0_President-trump-plays-golf-in-Sterling-Virginia-USA-23-May-2020.jpg

But, but, but OBAMAGATE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Penn wrote: »
    He's also threatening to pull the Republican National Convention from North Carolina in August if they're not allowed to fill the place to capacity.

All because, let's face it, he needs a cheering crowd. He needs the place filled to the rafters. For ego, for optics, doesn't matter. He needs a full crowd. Doesn't care that it's very unlikely the virus will be contained by then and there'd be a decent chance the virus could be spread among his own supporters. That doesn't matter.

All that matters is him standing in front of a cheering crowd.

Hopefully the people below and the GOP Seniors stick to THEIR choice and tell the bully where to go with his presumption of authority he does not hold. From Wiki: On July 18, 2018, the RNC Site Selection Committee voted unanimously to recommend holding the convention in Charlotte. The Republican National Committee made the selection official on July 20. Date(s)‎: ‎August 24–27, 2020 Presidential nominee‎: ‎Donald Trump of ‎Florida‎ ...
    Vice Presidential nominee‎: ‎Mike Pence of ‎Indi... City‎: ‎Charlotte, North Carolina‎, United States

Notice which State the info lists Don as being from.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,860 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They could ban him after he leaves office that would be a hoot

Overheal wrote: »
    They could ban him after he leaves office that would be a hoot

Can't see them upholding their special exemption for his tweets when he leaves office, but let's see what happens as he might not be allowed a mobile phone after he leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

duploelabs wrote: »
    Can't see them upholding their special exemption for his tweets when he leaves office, but let's see what happens as he might not be allowed a mobile phone after he leaves

May not be "allowed" one but hey we read about people smuggling phones into prisons all the time :D

I'm not even convinced they can even do that - any alteration of Trump's tweets, even to passively flag a negative connotation, will be seized upon with zeal or malice by his supporters and broader GOP orbit. The response would be biblical, if even to mark the Scarborough tweet as offensive. There's just no way it can be avoided, not with the already persistent narrative of liberal bias in technology, coupled with the current climate of hyper-partisanship. Twitter could be hurt in a half dozen ways were a vindictive GOP to turn their sights towards Twitter.

Like I said, I have no love for Dorsey and hate Twitter as a concept, but the service are in a genuine bind here. 99% of political Twitter accounts are puff pieces, whose users understand the intellectual level Tweets exist in. Trump's are just ... they're in another stratosphere. I'm not even sure what a suitable analogy here might be - all of US politics is trying to come to terms with what happens when its leader just says "no" to following the norms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

If they get back to having crowded political events before November, will they have Lock him Up chants at Bidens events?

In other news, Trump has continued his attack on Jeff Sessions and declared him "mentally unfit" to be Attorney General. I really don't think that Donald Trump is in a position to call anyone mentally unfit.

In other news, Trump has continued his attack on Jeff Sessions and declared him "mentally unfit" to be Attorney General. I really don't think that Donald Trump is in a position to call anyone mentally unfit.

When Trump attacks someone, it's usually a projection of what he fears about himself.
    Crooked Hillary etc and....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭eire4

duploelabs wrote: »
    When Trump attacks someone, it's usually a projection of what he fears about himself.
    Crooked Hillary etc and....

So very true and accurate that observation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement