Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    The logic, and the problem here, is that students are among the people who many not carry a drivers license on them regularly. Whereas a CWP is something you have to have on you as a gun-toting conservative.

I don’t vote every day either. Nor travel. I don’t find it too much of a hassle to dig up my voter registration card to verify my polling station is the same address, or my passport when I travel. Sometimes (gasp), I even leave the sidearm and LTC at home!
    What are the forgery protections on a CWP?

For me, same as the license with one change, which makes sense given they’re printed in the same place. A duplex and guilloche background with micro printing throughout. A color photo with tactile embossed date of birth (DOB)
    A laser perforated state outline on the right, at the front of the card
    An expiration date printed in duo color
    Star and state logos printed with iridescent ink.
    Barcode (which got scanned when I voted).

The one difference with the license is that the license has DOB in duocolor and a red expiration date.

A new design came out a couple months ago (after I received mine). It has more laser engraving and also adds a ghost photo.
    It would be a flick of the pen for the state to require state colleges to upgrade protections on student IDs and include them in any voter initiative.

Who would then complain about the costs inherent in adding all these new requirements. It’s why so many of the Wisconsin student IDs don’t meet the eligibility requirements the State has put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don’t vote every day either. Nor travel. I don’t find it too much of a hassle to dig up my voter registration card to verify my polling station is the same address, or my passport when I travel. Sometimes (gasp), I even leave the sidearm and LTC at home!
    :D

A student, meanwhile, can't carry a weapon, and so like something like a voter registration card, or any firearms they do own, these may be things they keep somewhere else, eg. off-location long term storage. Personally, I check my polling place online, every time. We have seen what happens when politicians suddenly close or relocate polling stations, I have no faith a piece of perforated post paper is going to be up to date on a voting day.

For me, same as the license with one change, which makes sense given they’re printed in the same place. A duplex and guilloche background with micro printing throughout. A color photo with tactile embossed date of birth (DOB)
    A laser perforated state outline on the right, at the front of the card
    An expiration date printed in duo color
    Star and state logos printed with iridescent ink.
    Barcode (which got scanned when I voted).

The one difference with the license is that the license has DOB in duocolor and a red expiration date.

A new design came out a couple months ago (after I received mine). It has more laser engraving and also adds a ghost photo.

These all sound like things the colleges are already capable of producing or could immediately produce if that's the issue. The current Clemson Student ID is not embossed but then neither are most state IDs. There is a Clemson Paw hologram. A student full color photo. Student ID number. Magnetic stripe. RFID Chip. Barcode. Additional holograms, laser cuts or embossing wouldn't go amiss, but it it's not a technical obstacle. There's no anti-counterfeiting art, but I'm not aware of Student ID counterfeiting being an 'issue.'
    Who would then complain about the costs inherent in adding all these new requirements. It’s why so many of the Wisconsin student IDs don’t meet the eligibility requirements the State has put out.

You'd have to clue me in, I'm afraid. I must have missed it?

I mean, I get it: students on avg revolve out of education in 2 to 4 years from the time the card is made in the first place. However, I see IDs being produced that in some respects are cutting edge and I disagree with the notion that they should be excluded as a form of ID merely on those grounds. In fact I would firmly argue the card I have in my hand is, from a technical standpoint, at least as technologically advanced, if not more advanced, than many other accepted forms of voter ID in circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The problem there is 2 sides of the political issue are both Correct about differing items. Eg. 1st Amendment rights, and Americans dropping dead.

The ongoing debate about the laws of man versus the laws of God with Don implying he's on the side of both whilst showing faith in neither and greedy politicians pretending to be pastoral carers of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

I don't get and won't ever get the argument against voter ID, never ever ever. The other argument is contentious at best, some states hand out driver licences to illegals and other incentives. Only a blind would say there's no politics at play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I don't know how Tuberville is being received, but I would love to see Sessions walk this.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263970567838932993

Never thought I'd be pro-Jeff for anything! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There are many things you could criticise Jeff sessions for but the one thing trump takes issue with is the one thing he did which was the right thing to do which was recuse himself. In that instance at least Jeff session didn't let the USA down.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Good grief! He won't like that. Tweetstorm about "never Trumpers" incoming.
    hetuzozaho wrote: »
    He's not very nice is he?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263669433366728704

Wacky. Do nothing.
    Not their fault he didn't wear a mask? He did wear a mask?

He's frustrating to listen to. And implying that this is a reason motor companies might leave michigan. Ugh.

As predictable as the night

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There are many things you could criticise Jeff sessions for but the one thing trump takes issue with is the one thing he did which was the right thing to do which was recuse himself. In that instance at least Jeff session didn't let the USA down.

One appointment Don was never able to walk back on, and admitted to his mistake without disclaimer "I never would have appointed him if I knew he was going to recuse himself".

Ta for the update on Alabama's U'S Senate election events.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone see that trump briefing today.

Have to say I'd really respect kayeigh mcenany if she wasn't a tool of such an evil organisation. She is very good at her job of making sure trump doesn't make a tit of himself. She is very good at answering the press questions while giving them nothing and then there was that Obama slideshow. Telling the press to look into crimes by Obama. Basically putting the onus on the press to look into bull**** claims against Obama while shifting away the onus on the trump administration to show its innocence for actual crimes.

She is going to big a big factor in buffering the press from holding trump to rights.

kowloon wrote: »
    Better than an Irish firearm licence, a bit of laminated paper with no photo. This despite you having to hand one in with the application. Strict firearms laws but a disaster of a licensing system because it brings in more money. /rant

Does it matter what the licence looks like?

The strict laws can only be a good thing anyway.

Look at what a crapshow it was when the PSC was being made more "useful".

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

It's funny, I was watching this doc series on Netflix about US elections where they discussed historical ones and how they played out.

The Nixon-Kennedy one was very interesting how when on the way to the plane to hear the final tallies and how close it was Nixon's agent was saying they should contest the result in some places where there were discrepancies and Nixon said "absolutely not, that the presidency is too important for there to allow any doubt about the office to creep in when a result is declared and a man in office".

Amazing what it's like to have a grudging respect for people you would ordinarily dislike.

Mon JEFF!

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Have to say I'd really respect kayeigh mcenany if she wasn't a tool of such an evil organisation. She is very good at her job of making sure trump doesn't make a tit of himself. She is very good at answering the press questions while giving them nothing and then there was that Obama slideshow. Telling the press to look into crimes by Obama. Basically putting the onus on the press to look into bull**** claims against Obama while shifting away the onus on the trump administration to show its innocence for actual crimes.

She is going to big a big factor in buffering the press from holding trump to rights.

Did so and the line she was putting out to the media was not challenged. The only way for the media to deal with her is to continually respond to her statements on behalf of the Trump Administration is to continually ask her - do you believe what you're telling us?.

:D
    You'd have to clue me in, I'm afraid. I must have missed it?

From Campus Vote Project: "Wisconsin accepts student ID cards from public and private schools as long as the ID contains a name, photo, signature, issuance date, and expiration date that is not more than two years after the issuance date and is presented with proof of current enrollment such as a tuition fee receipt or an enrollment verification letter. A number of Wisconsin colleges and universities have updated their IDs to contain these elements or will issue a compliant ID upon request, but others have not taken these steps"

As you say, those are pretty simple requirements, yet many of the cards haven't changed.
    In fact I would firmly argue the card I have in my hand is, from a technical standpoint, at least as technologically advanced, if not more advanced, than many other accepted forms of voter ID in circulation.

Fair enough. And it is technically possible for there to be a bureaucracy whereby each individual institution submits for approval by the State their own specific ID card. North Carolina has such a structure, currently over 130 ID cards are valid, which has got to be lots of fun for the poll workers. It's for this reason that an Irish driver's license isn't normally good enough to get into a bar in the US. It's impossible for people to know all the IDs out there, so if it's foreign and not a passport, it doesn't count no matter how legitimate it may be.
    A student, meanwhile, can't carry a weapon, and so like something like a voter registration card, or any firearms they do own, these may be things they keep somewhere else, eg. off-location long term storage.

Well, some can, depending on the State, but that's beside the point. I submit, though, that if a student is in college, he's surely responsible enough to keep track of his driver's license, state ID, military ID or passport. And if he doesn't care about those (or maybe his voter registration card), perhaps the college education is going to include an impromtpu lesson about responsibility and civic duty. Further, in many cases, if you have misplaced your ID or voter card, such as in South Carolina, you can still go vote, and your vote will count unless it can be proven that the reason you don't have an ID (eg you were mugged, the dog ate it, etc) is false and you had an opportunity to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Except that she gave away Trump's bank details live on air

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/499268-trump-routing-number-bank-revealed-coronavirus-response

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Does it matter what the licence looks like?

The strict laws can only be a good thing anyway.

Look at what a crapshow it was when the PSC was being made more "useful".

It should be a passport-style ID with a photo and a list of the guns you own and their serials. Instead, Justice went for a piece of paper with no photo and a new one for each gun. Cheap to make and they can charge once per gun instead of per person. Takes uniformed Gardai off the streets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

pixelburp wrote: »
    Remember how Trump promised to open an investigation into Hillary Clinton, to her face, during one of their 1:1 debates? With much orgasmic applause from his supporters in the audience of course.

Trump's word is garbage, and more fool anyone who takes his promises seriously.

That's politics.

Ever heard the promises of Leo and Enda

No different the world over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Blueshoe wrote: »
    That's politics.

Trumps behaviours can not be excused by "that's politics". The disaster that is Trump, is not politics. It's a 3rd rate compromised conman, who would do anything to avoid the house of cards that is the Trump empire from crashing down; holding the office of POTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That's politics.

So I assume you excuse everything that Biden does as just politics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So I assume you excuse everything that Biden does as just politics.

He doesn't do much but sure if the whataboutery fits

Fair enough. And it is technically possible for there to be a bureaucracy whereby each individual institution submits for approval by the State their own specific ID card. North Carolina has such a structure, currently over 130 ID cards are valid, which has got to be lots of fun for the poll workers. It's for this reason that an Irish driver's license isn't normally good enough to get into a bar in the US. It's impossible for people to know all the IDs out there, so if it's foreign and not a passport, it doesn't count no matter how legitimate it may be.

I have been this soldier. I figured out of state licences and an Irish accent and beard would have been okay for a 30yo in Carboro given you know, Duke and UNC being nearby, but alas.

Had to drive an hour back to house to get my passport.

And then in the bar we ended up in after, for the night, I didn't get asked once despite their recommendation. It all started when I requested a long Island ice tea in a cafe. What a hill to die on. And there was no way I was drinking sweet tea. Bleugh.

Anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nixon said "absolutely not, that the presidency is too important for there to allow any doubt about the office to creep in when a result is declared and a man in office".

Amazing what it's like to have a grudging respect for people you would ordinarily dislike.

Mon JEFF!

It is the realisation that even as corrupt a political operator as Nixon held the office of POTUS in respect in its accountability (not so much it's actions) that even further debases what it has become under Don and his enablers.

Political accountability is dead under the current admin.
    If they continue to load the courts, judicial accountability will soon follow.

I have been this soldier. I figured out of state licences and an Irish accent and beard would have been okay for a 30yo in Carboro given you know, Duke and UNC being nearby, but alas.

Had to drive an hour back to house to get my passport.

And then in the bar we ended up in after, for the night, I didn't get asked once despite their recommendation. It all started when I requested a long Island ice tea in a cafe. What a hill to die on. And there was no way I was drinking sweet tea. Bleugh.

Anyway...

One of the failings of the American system is that there is often a complete lack of common sense and judicious application of the rules. My dad is now in his mid-70s. Even my mother has concluded that she no longer looks in her 20s. Yet they are astounded to be told they are obliged to carry their passports around with them should they wish to consume alcohol here as they are occasionally checked to ensure that they have evidence of being over 21. "No ID, no drink." <sigh>. I'm in my mid-40s and routinely enough get carded. Bouncers/waiters don't bother looking at the date, they just have to ask for the ID, glance that it's my picture, and hand it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He doesn't do much but sure if the whataboutery fits

Yes but my point is that your defence of Trump lies, largely, on that other people to it and its just politics.

If that really is your position, then you can have no bad feeling about any politicians . You will be just as happy with Biden being POTUS, or indeed HC, if that came to pass.

We both know that isn't true, hence you are being hypocritical with your position in regards to Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"Promises made promises kept"

"Tells it like it is"

"Draining the swamp"

Promises made not kept?!?!

Ah here, that's just politics everyone knows that...

Textbook cult really.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Jeff Sessions responds to Don: ‘I did my duty & you’re damn fortunate I did’

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/may/23/jeff-sessions-fires-back-after-trump-attacks-forme/

Actually the spat is ongoing from 08/May/2020: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/politics/jeff-sessions-donald-trump-obligated/index.html - I Do Not And Will Not Break The Law.

I think this might help to push Joe Biden's comment about not being black if you vote for Trump off the front page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Off topic posts deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

aloyisious wrote: »
    Jeff Sessions responds to Don: ‘I did my duty & you’re damn fortunate I did’

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/may/23/jeff-sessions-fires-back-after-trump-attacks-forme/

Actually the spat is ongoing from 08/May/2020: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/politics/jeff-sessions-donald-trump-obligated/index.html - I Do Not And Will Not Break The Law.

I think this might help to push Joe Biden's comment about not being black if you vote for Trump off the front page.

Oh thems fighting words from Jeff sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Unbelievable that he’s off golfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One of the failings of the American system is that there is often a complete lack of common sense and judicious application of the rules. My dad is now in his mid-70s. Even my mother has concluded that she no longer looks in her 20s. Yet they are astounded to be told they are obliged to carry their passports around with them should they wish to consume alcohol here as they are occasionally checked to ensure that they have evidence of being over 21. "No ID, no drink." <sigh>. I'm in my mid-40s and routinely enough get carded. Bouncers/waiters don't bother looking at the date, they just have to ask for the ID, glance that it's my picture, and hand it back.

SLED has come down too hard on establishments in my area for them to do anything less. It is a college region.

• Advertisement

Unbelievable that he’s off golfing.

It’s not really that surprising when you’ve been listening and watching trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement