Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Slideways

For Fuchs sake. Is Westlife really what we have to resort to to market our town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Slideways wrote: »
    For Fuchs sake. Is Westlife really what we have to resort to to market our town?

I wouldn't be a fan of their music but they've been a massively successful band.

If there was a decent sized museum/cultural/heritage centre in Sligo they'd be deserving of a place in there highlighting their achievements.

And if it leads to more people visiting Sligo I can't see any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

no, not that only ... but it could (maybe should) be one of the things - well i think so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Ugh! Looking for a house to share in Sligo town is such a headache! Nothing online suits at all.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

EmptyTree wrote: »
    :confused:

DCC keeping LPT as is, aren’t SCC increasing by 15%?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

DCC != SCC. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

DCC != SCC. What's your point?

Don’t worry about it, just thought it was interesting that Dublin City Council were retaining their cut in local property tax while Sligo County Council were increasing theirs by 15%, unless I misread the situation, and before any comes back to me on this, I understand Sligo in not Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

EmptyTree wrote: »
    :confused:
    Thanks for clarifying, I didn't know SCC we're increasing the tax.

• Advertisement

Don’t worry about it, just thought it was interesting that Dublin City Council were retaining their cut in local property tax while Sligo County Council were increasing theirs by 15%, unless I misread the situation, and before any comes back to me on this, I understand Sligo in not Dublin.

Not exactly comparing like for like now is it, hence my point?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

Exactly. As pointed out earlier, Westlife aren't exactly in the same bracket as The Beatles and won't do much for town's tourism. There are bigger issues that need addressing in town and county in order to bring more tourists.

ah well no harm, it was just a suggestion ...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Exactly. As pointed out earlier, Westlife aren't exactly in the same bracket as The Beatles and won't do much for town's tourism. There are bigger issues that need addressing in town and county in order to bring more tourists.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/oct/31/pop-stars-broken-beatles-chart-records-one-direction-niall-horan

Depends what you are measuring.
    Are they a global phenomenon? Yes by any metric you want to measure by.
    Are they from Sligo? Yes
    Should we as a town be prouder of them? Yes
    You don't have to love their music or have all their albums to admit, these are local guys who have done extremely well, is the bar so high that unless you are better than the most popular band in the world we won't pass much heed of you.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

job seeker wrote: »
    Ugh! Looking for a house to share in Sligo town is such a headache! Nothing online suits at all.. :(

I see a place in Cartron Heights for house sharing. Can anyone tell me what it's like to live in Cartron Heights??? Is it a nice area ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Salsa and bachata classes are starting in Sligo Town this evening, November 4th, run by Sligo Spanish Society. Yeats Building from 7.30pm. Every Monday until December 5th.

https://sligospanishsociety.blogspot.com/2019/10/salsa-and-bachata-classes-starting.html

Sligo is about the only major town in the West (and probably in the country) without salsa classes, and there seems to be a demand for it, so we in the Spanish Society have decided to put them on. All welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

job seeker wrote: »
    I see a place in Cartron Heights for house sharing. Can anyone tell me what it's like to live in Cartron Heights??? Is it a nice area ect?

Hi Job seeker.

I think Cartron Heights would be fine, it's not exactly Beverly Hills but it's fine. Sligo is not like Dublin in that our 'worst' areas are nowhere near as bad as the worst ones there.

The common consensus was that Cranmore was the worst area in Sligo, had the most social problems, cheapest houses etc. But it has improved a lot over the years, no offense to anyone there.

Some of the estates near the IT would be full of students so maybe not the best if you have a young family or prefer the quiet life.

All depends on what you are willing and not willing to accept. Feel free to PM if you want more info.

what is with the big crane on the Collooney side of the N4 and barriers there? - its not for this footbridge across the N4 at collooney they were on about is it? or is it there for something else? - if it is for a bridge i personally find it an odd place to put it , and so far away from the sligo gate filling station and business park

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

what is with the big crane on the Collooney side of the N4 and barriers there? - its not for this footbridge across the N4 at collooney they were on about is it? or is it there for something else? - if it is for a bridge i personally find it an odd place to put it , and so far away from the sligo gate filling station and business park

If it's on the left heading south bound just before the first roundabout coming to Collooney it's for the water treatment plant I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

waterboy15 wrote: »
    If it's on the left heading south bound just before the first roundabout coming to Collooney it's for the water treatment plant I believe.

Correct, it's for the upgrade works going on at the water treatment plant there.

• Advertisement

ah right thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Question on Enniscrone, there are 2 large empty premises in the town, the old Benbulben Hotel and what was the Porter House (and then something else that I can't remember)
    Given the amount of tourists I was surprised that neither of these have re-opened or been developed in any form.... 2 decent hotels in the town but is there no market for some different pub/food options?
    They're a bit of an eyesore in what is otherwise quite a cute little town....

endabob1 wrote: »
    Question on Enniscrone, there are 2 large empty premises in the town, the old Benbulben Hotel and what was the Porter House (and then something else that I can't remember)
    Given the amount of tourists I was surprised that neither of these have re-opened or been developed in any form.... 2 decent hotels in the town but is there no market for some different pub/food options?
    They're a bit of an eyesore in what is otherwise quite a cute little town....

A big bit of a gamble there I'd say. "If you build it they will come"? I'm not so sure about that.

I wonder how david McGowans Quirky park in enniscrone would have taken off if it would have got off the ground? - it surely would have been all up and running by now if things went to plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,814 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I wonder how david McGowans Quirky park in enniscrone would have taken off if it would have got off the ground? - it surely would have been all up and running by now if things went to plan?
    1k2zxs.jpg

Basq wrote: »

haha - no word of a lie that was not intended haha - but now I see it that was quite good - even for me :D

He hasn't the money to finish it. Looking for investors far as I know. Traditional banks aren't to fussed about lending to him

He hasn't the money to finish it. Looking for investors far as I know. Traditional banks aren't to fussed about lending to him

Shame that. He obviously has the vision , but it looks like the banks and that lenders cannot share that same vision and see it as a liability . He should go cap in hand to richard branson or someone like him who would be more likely to back such an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Why do none of the refuse providers in the area display prices on there websites.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Why do none of the refuse providers in the area display prices on there websites.

because they refuse to show it on their site - sorry, couldn't resist :D

Advertisement