Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The glorious 12th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,040 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

cgcsb wrote: »
    But the main reason Catholics aren't joining is because of poor pay and conditions and their better educational attainment allows them to get twice or three times the wages in working in Dublin.

Who would want to join and stand powerlessly by and watch the selective policing at this time of year?

A long way to go has the PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/crime/irish-tricolour-is-hoisted-above-rural-orange-lodge-1-8997517

Talk about lads getting hysterical over nothing! A hate crime?! What planet do these people actually live in?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,757 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Who would want to join and stand powerlessly by and watch the selective policing at this time of year?

A long way to go has the PSNI.

That too

It depends on the particular belief. Were Irish Catholics ever into biblical literalism or anti gay sentiment, I don't think so, but try to talk about low key funerals or cremations to 90% of Irish Catholics, lapsed into atheism or not you'll get your head snapped off

In my experience (a committed atheist) I would say that is a generalistion. Cremation is more or less accepted as an option now.

My point is that once the tide turns, or the shackles come off, the power of a church dissipates very quickly. The RC church has all but zero power socially here in a few short years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The RC church has all but zero power socially here in a few short years.

True, but that didn’t happen overnight and I think one of the main catalysts for that as well as a more educated and enlightened Ireland was the churches reaction and covering up of child sex abuse scandals... that really made ‘believers’ and ‘non believers’ sit up, take note and form a more astute opinion of the organization and the very premise of religion and it’s negative impact and influences on society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Great, the highlights are on BBC NI at 10:40.

What the various apologists/ PRO's that have popped up on Boards.ie today proclaiming 'fun family days out' don't want to acknowledge or address...not to mention their political masters or the PSNI.

https://scontent.fdub4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/64408313_2621801447853354_2827955013425299456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQm0SMqOYR99ipQBdHgGJ3oNFgPDe3Pu30DVglgPfP-vAN3BhRAqVjlZBz1FxeXx5-c&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=68c7e6b9012a0839c9add9774e9bc899&oe=5DC18EDA

Strumms wrote: »
    True, but that didn’t happen overnight and I think one of the main catalysts for that as well as a more educated and enlightened Ireland was the churches reaction and covering up of child sex abuse scandals... that really made ‘believers’ and ‘non believers’ sit up, take note and form a more astute opinion of the organization and the very premise of religion and it’s negative impact and influences on society.

Well it happened within a few short years of my life Strumms. Ireland of today is totally different to Ireland in the 70's and 80's.

Once undermined as you correctly point out, (I personally think it started with Bishop Casey) things changed very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well that's true but religious background has an influence on culture long after the population has turned to atheism.

Very true, despite being post religious secular states, no one could deny the obvious influence that Lutheranism has had on the nordic countries or Presbyterianism has had on new Zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NIMAN wrote: »
    A lot of unionists are very insular, and don't like folk moving into their areas.

There are many cases of immigrants homes being attacked.

Many folk in rural Ireland don't like people from two parishes over moving in, we are little different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Im disgusted with the bonfires

Don’t mind the marching but the co2 released by the bonfires is unreal

Great, the highlights are on BBC NI at 10:40.

Turned on for a few minutes. Everyone programmed to say ‘this is a family day out’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

And the dioxins , the smoke particles, the rubber tyres emissions and whatever other stuff buried beneath?

And the dioxins , the smoke particles, the rubber tyres emissions and whatever other stuff buried beneath?

Agree.

If it were in a green area they’d impose the full weight of their war machine to make sure bonfires weren’t lit.

Hypocritical backstaards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

There is a bonfire in Belfast quite close to the Westlink coming into the city from the M1, passed it last night as it was burning and could feel the heat in the car!

Turned on for a few minutes. Everyone programmed to say ‘this is a family day out’.
    I take it they didn’t cover any of the bands playing their sectarian songs? They never really like to cover that aspect of proceedings for some reason..

armaghlad wrote: »
    I take it they didn’t cover any of the bands playing their sectarian songs? They never really like to cover that aspect of proceedings for some reason..

All the songs are ultra sectarian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You are getting at the nub of what still has to happen in northern Ireland NIMAN.

I think that female police officer talked herself into a corner yesterday, it will be interesting to see if there are any repercussions with her 'We don't have the power' remarks. Because I think they would have plenty of 'powers' if they genuinely wanted to use them

Shall see what happens next month as the hoods from the bogside try to build that bonfire

armaghlad wrote: »

No funnily enough. Have no idea what they are playing to be honest. No one spat at by a band member either yet.

Feel sorry for the kids being indoctrinated into this crap. At least they have the internet now to find out things for themselves.

No funnily enough. Have no idea what they are playing to be honest. No one spat at by a band member either yet.
    They play the tunes, the supporters sing the lyrics. Saw a few renditions of the billy boys, famine song, simply the best etc on social media. Family day out indeed lol

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying the nationalist side have a big event in a few weeks for a weekend

_blaaz wrote: »
    Perhaps you could.outline what this rant has to do with your AMA on orange culture/july 12th experiences?

Can’t answer anything unless they can fire it back on republicans for some whataboutary

Am I right in saying the nationalist side have a big event in a few weeks for a weekend

Féile an Phobail instead of an official bonfire will be in West Belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,738 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Weird culture it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

But the main reason Catholics aren't joining is because of poor pay and conditions and their better educational attainment

Hmmm. No issue then. Nothing to do with fellow Catholics blowing their legs off. At all, at all,...

votecounts wrote: »
    could you not burn a few tricolors as this is what your lot seem good at. "

My lot? What’s that then?

votecounts wrote: »
    could you not burn a few tricolors "

Ive already said burning the flag of a neighbouring country is wrong so no I wouldn’t burn any Irish tricolours. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah, funny innit....We had a lot of family days out as kids, although I don’t remember one where I was ever encouraged to attack Gardai or members of the press or anyone else for that matter.

Yeah, funny innit....We had a lot of family days out as kids, although I don’t remember one where I was ever encouraged to attack Gardai or members of the press or anyone else for that matter.

https://twitter.com/stevenmdunne/status/1149617590576111616

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that at the parade today my kids were encouraged to attack the police or press of anyone else? This is just getting weird now.

Hold on francie, I will make a great wee montage video up about Irish republicans shooting in the head a few months ago. It will be gas...

timthumbni wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that at the parade today my kids were encouraged to attack the police or press of anyone else? This is just getting weird now.

All a 'great day out' until somebody says, in the interests of peace and public safety.....

The KKK had many 'family days out' and I posted pics earlier of them. I am sure they were great, but then you start to think what they are really about. That 'really about' that the BBC never go near when they are covering it and I'm sure parents don't either.

But the drift of 40,000 members away from the OO sure are thinking about it. Thankfully. Another case of life moving on without some.

Hold on francie, I will make a great wee montage video up about Irish republicans shooting in the head a few months ago. It will be gas...

Go ahead. And you would be right, but which community is making the bigger effort to stamp out this behaviour and call it out?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bloody hell Francie.
    You really did your research, didn't you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Considering the council eventually abandoned its efforts to remove the bonfire at its premises, which was built without its permission, I wonder where you'd stand if you now went in and built one yourself?

Could you argue in court that they are being selective in who they stop building bonfires?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved from AH > CA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭boetstark

Unfortunately it's not just knack bags as you put it.

We have Reverends in the north who want these things built and defend the builders. Politicians too.

It's a real classless culture. Most normal people in the world, if you asked them what culture was, would talk about art, music, drama, poetry etc. But culture to some is building a huge bonfire wherever they want, threatening people if they talk about moving it, loading it with tyres to poison the air, putting property at risk, and putting photos of people on it to express your sectarianism and racism.

Yeah, that's culture NI style.

Ok just to clarify one or two items.
    It is historic culture not arts culture as you questioned. The fires are lit to commemorate King William leading his victorious army to the Boyne , I know the official date is July 1st but it is traditional on the eve of battle commemoration.
    Also I live in the republic and I have seen numerous occasions in rural Ireland, bonfires being lit to celebrate occasions , eg a local team winning a gaa game. So please dont throw barbed insults at one section of the community in NI.

ciarang85 wrote: »
    There's more culture in a yogurt than there is in that shower

Can I ask what your culture is smart ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Orange Order a deeply sectarian organization, members not supposed to go to Catholic weddings or funerals, crazy stuff. Has a big hold on the North, Protestants don’t seem to question it very much, just accept that side of it and still
    attend parades/marches.

dd973 wrote: »
    Hate Ireland and the Irish but want to live in Ireland, and as ethno-religious supremacists on top of it all, odd bunch. (Not all of them, just the extreme element)

Sorry , you are incorrect. Nine Orange Lodges in ROI. 44 meeting halls in ROI , a beautiful parade in Rossnowlagh every year.
    Definitely Orangeism does not hate everything Irish. Republican ism and Republican terrorists and supporters hated yes. We do not like the church of Rome because we believe it is corrupt and full of man made dictatorial laws. That is not sectarian.

• Advertisement

Oh look kids, this float celebrates how we used the world's largest army to carve out a supremacist enclave for ourselves in which we can brutalise the natives at our will.

They used to have this scum baggery in South Africa also, and there was often a guise of 'family fun day out'. As luck would have it, the DUP were deeply supportive of the apartheid regime in SA in the 80s.

Ah go away and get a life . You haven't a clue about what SA was or what it has now become. You are just a typical online uninformed windbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

boetstark wrote: »
    Ok just to clarify one or two items.
    It is historic culture not arts culture as you questioned. The fires are lit to commemorate King William leading his victorious army to the Boyne , I know the official date is July 1st but it is traditional on the eve of battle commemoration.
    Also I live in the republic and I have seen numerous occasions in rural Ireland, bonfires being lit to celebrate occasions , eg a local team winning a gaa game. So please dont throw barbed insults at one section of the community in NI.

So you assume lighting a bonfire is culture? Fair enough, we all have different standards I suppose. I'd call that a tradition, not culture.

I have never, ever heard of a bonfire being lit locally, and I live in RoI too. Especially not for something like a GAA team winning a match. I think you are only trying to be pedantic, but if you want to give me a concrete example, feel free.

I think you'll find it is generally only one section of NIs community that is putting property and lives at risk with their culture, or threatening ordinary members of the public trying to get to their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have no opinion on that matter tbh. Nor probably should you coming from cork I assume. Why would you even ask that question?

You attended a parade in Ireland yesterday celebrating a gay king, from Holland.

I suspect the irony of the above is lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Can I ask what your culture is smart ass.

Well it's definitely not hate the neighbors fest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I have never, ever heard of a bonfire being lit locally, I

Here in the 26 counties I also have visited all the counties, and I have seen dozens of bonfires, not in July, but on other occasions eg mid summer's night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Orange Order a deeply sectarian organization, members not supposed to go to....

You could also say the Roman Catholic church is a deeply sectarian organisation, members who marry non-Catholics are supposed to bring up the children as Catholics etc

Ah go away and get a life . You haven't a clue about what SA was or what it has now become. You are just a typical online uninformed windbag.

How about informed insiders of the Orange Order?

Presbyterian moderator Ken Newell
    "there is a reservoir of anti-Catholicism and sectarianism within the Orange Order"

Brian Kennaway, 40 year member of Order and senior member of the Grand Lodge Of Ireland for 25 years:
    They are weakened by a sectarianism that few of them even acknowledge, are politically myopic to the point of stupidity, and more than a little ambivalent about matters such as the Belfast Agreement, the peace process and, it would seem, Loyalist violence. They are, in fact, a hidebound and unsophisticated bunch without vision or plan

janfebmar wrote: »
    You could also say the Roman Catholic church is a deeply sectarian organisation, members who marry non-Catholics are supposed to bring up the children as Catholics etc

If you wish to compare 'religions' open a thread on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

NIMAN wrote:
    I have never, ever heard of a bonfire being lit locally, and I live in RoI too. Especially not for something like a GAA team winning a match. I think you are only trying to be pedantic, but if you want to give me a concrete example, feel free.

We do indeed have bonfires in Ireland, mostly in the west on the 23rd of June which is on the eve of St. John's day on the 24th. It was originally a pagan holiday that Christianity took over as they did with many holidays from the pagan calendar. So technically those bonfires predate the ones for the yearly king Billy love in.

There can also be fires for GAA victories, I remember fires dotted around the countryside in 1995 when Clare won the all Ireland for the first time in 81 years.

So yes we do sometimes have fires too. There is a big difference however, we don't build ours in the middle of estates and we don't burn flags of our neighbours to deliberately cause sectarian tensions.

Holy crap are you comparing your family fun day out to a riot in creggan?

• Advertisement
Advertisement