Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Paratroopers regiment flags flying in certain parts of Derry too.
    It's not a celebration, it's a ploy to try and incite violence and hate.

Derry, Portadown, Antrim, Belfast etc. Along with the 'we support soldier F' banners hung on town main streets whilst the PSNI stand by watching.

Disgusting carry on.

You ask most of these idiots why they are lighting a bonfire on that particular day and they'd shrug and mutter "eh... culture"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Derry, Portadown, Antrim, Belfast etc. Along with the 'we support soldier F' banners hung on town main streets whilst the PSNI stand by watching.

Disgusting carry on.

Those parachute flags are in a lot of Unionist towns and areas. Like everything up there it’s just to incite. Only a bigot could justify what soldier ‘f’ did but that’s the north in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

gooch2k9 wrote: »

Disgusting carry on.

More "peace walls" than during the troubles, main political parties not talking to each other,
    One crowd adamant that its great to leave the E.U. even though the majority want to stay.
    An open air lunatic asylum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Edgware wrote: »
    At least in the nationalist areas we have the delights of overweight dirtbirds with berets and sunglasses marching along out of step with a packet of John Player Blue and the Mirror in the arse pocket

Tbf, the pictures I see of some of the yokes around Portadown and Harryville with the spare tyres (not they ones on the fire) missing teeth and union jack dresses will win no pagents either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Tbf, the pictures I see of some of the yokes around Portadown and Harryville with the spare tyres (not they ones on the fire) missing teeth and union jack dresses will win no pagents either.
    Agreed. I saw a few Union Jackies at a march in Benidorm one time. 20 stone Bessies in their Union Jack and Rangers mini skirts. Frightening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was in Belfast for the first time only last week, we'd intended staying three nights but couldn't wait to get out of the kip and checked out of the hotel and made a dash for the border on the second evening.

The flags didn't bother me, Union Jack and Parachute flags everywhere. Tbh their sh*t isn't mine and I let that crap go over my head.

Done the tourist thing and took the hop on, hop off tour bus and learned a few things, Belfast is a sh*t hole, that the Prince of Wales avenue to Stormont is called the 'POW's Avenue, that the people I met in the SF shop on the Falls Road (at the Bobby Sands mural) were lovely until I asked I mentioned I was taking the bus to the Shankill Road, then the lady looked at me like she wanted to knee cap me.

Got on the bus (great guides btw) and was going to get off on the Shankill when the guide advised me not to!.. You're from Dublin, they've orange fever this week. Its not safe for you.. Ok I stayed on the bus.

Mentioned this to the staff in the hotel, yea don't go near there with your Dublin accent. You'll find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Thinking they meant that people would just be rude to me I asked a taxi man, and even a doctor (I was up on a medical appointment) and told them I don't mind telling someone to fvck off if they're annoying me.

The doctor told me that I could be lucky and meet some lovely people on the Shankill but that I'd more likely meet someone who'd be very unpleasant or I might find a phone call would be made and a few lads would be down to sort us out!!.

Fvck that sh*t!.

Found it strange that in conversation everyone very soon let me know if they were Catholic or Protestant, weird to me because I coudn't give a sh*t.

The pubs were sh*t holes too, although Kellys Cellars serve the best stew I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I was in Belfast for the first time only last week, we'd intended staying three nights but couldn't wait to get out of the kip and checked out of the hotel and made a dash for the border on the second evening.

I guess we all have different experiences, I'm well into my 40's and have been travelling to NI since I was a nipper . Father's family is from Lifford and Strabane. Never experienced anything like what you did even during the height of the 'Troubles' and I have been there different times of the year and all over the province including Belfast and Derry. I've found NI people to be genuine and lovely, although like everywhere there is a vocal cohort of pr*icks.

I guess we all have different experiences, I'm well into my 40's and have been travelling to NI since I was a nipper . Father's family is from Lifford and Strabane. Never experienced anything like what you did even during the height of the 'Troubles' and I have been there different times of the year and all over the province including Belfast and Derry. I've found NI people to be genuine and lovely, although like everywhere there is a vocal cohort of pr*icks.

You're welcome to it pal, 'tis not a place for me tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Just to clarify that the bonfires on the 11th (or 10th nights in one case) are not normally anything to do with the OO. Also the majority of people who will attend the 12th parades today will not have attended the bonfires the night before.

Burning flags is silly on either side though not going to ruin my day either. It has to be remembered that for many here the Irish tricolour is and was associated with the IRA. Sure you still have people on here who still blab on about the union flag as the butchers apron etc. They shouldn’t be burned but in the grand scheme of things and certainly compared to the murder of a journalist recently it’s no biggie.

Regarding the 12th parades themselves they are fun family day outs. Now for those who are anti unionist or don’t like the sight of union flags, NI red hands etc etc then it’s obviously not going to be your bag. Like I wouldn’t feel comfortable going to st paddy’s day in Belfast for example. But that’s life. I just don’t go. The disruption is very temporary so wouldn’t bother me.

The parades in the country especially are very gentle affairs. Hard to get offended by an accordion band of young girls. (Well, unless you are a Tyrone gaa player by the looks of it)

The keyboard republican circle jerk of anti unionism on here is a sight to read sometimes. Some highlights include suggesting sterilisation and others calling in the army. I’m sure the 12th July and the 11th November are their most fun times of the year. Probably buy a new keyboard for each date.

Anyway I can hear pipe bands in the distance. (The horror.... the horror)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

J Mysterio wrote: »

... songs being played as well. All about WW1, WW2 etc. ...
    Omackeral wrote: »

_84138116_naziflag.jpg

Please help a simple fella understand here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The flags didn't bother me, Union Jack and Parachute flags everywhere. Tbh their sh*t isn't mine and I let that crap go over my head.

Done the tourist thing and took the hop on, hop off tour bus and learned a few things, Belfast is a sh*t hole, that the Prince of Wales avenue to Stormont is called the 'POW's Avenue, that the people I met in the SF shop on the Falls Road (at the Bobby Sands mural) were lovely until I asked I mentioned I was taking the bus to the Shankill Road, then the lady looked at me like she wanted to knee cap me.

Got on the bus (great guides btw) and was going to get off on the Shankill when the guide advised me not to!.. You're from Dublin, they've orange fever this week. Its not safe for you.. Ok I stayed on the bus.

Mentioned this to the staff in the hotel, yea don't go near there with your Dublin accent. You'll find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Thinking they meant that people would just be rude to me I asked a taxi man, and even a doctor (I was up on a medical appointment) and told them I don't mind telling someone to fvck off if they're annoying me.

The doctor told me that I could be lucky and meet some lovely people on the Shankill but that I'd more likely meet someone who'd be very unpleasant or I might find a phone call would be made and a few lads would be down to sort us out!!.

Fvck that sh*t!.

Found it strange that in conversation everyone very soon let me know if they were Catholic or Protestant, weird to me because I coudn't give a sh*t.

The pubs were sh*t holes too, although Kellys Cellars serve the best stew I've ever had.

If you took the tour of the 'conflict' zones what exactly were you expecting? :rolleyes:

Some of the pubs in Belfast are among the best in the country. I could visit a few in Dublin and make the same 'The pubs were sh*tholes' generalisation too.

Good lord, your post is a classic. Too funny. :D

If you took the tour of the 'conflict' zones what exactly were you expecting? :rolleyes:

Some of the pubs in Belfast are among the best in the country. I could visit a few in Dublin and make the same 'The pubs were sh*tholes' generalisation too.

Good lord, your post is a classic. Too funny. :D

I went with no real expectations tbh.

I was surprised at the difference between the Falls and the Shankill. Like I said the Falls was really nice and we probably spent close to an hour on it taking photos, visiting the garden of remembrance etc.

I was actually shocked at how dirty, unwelcoming and menacing the Skankill is, when I mentioned this to one taxi man he said ''If you didn't feeling that on the Shankill the fvckers weren't doing their job''.

I'm a great walker and would walk for hours, so I took myself off on a walk the first evening. Found a local bar and ordered a beer 'What are you doing in here?'.. I left and got a taxi 'Wellington Hotel on the Malone Road please'.. 'What are you doing here fella?' [I got the fook outta dodge, THAT sh*t doesn't happen down here]

The womens accents are sexy :)

***I've just been reminded we actually stayed two nights out of the intended three

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭malinheader

topper75 wrote: »
    Please help a simple fella understand here folks.

They don't understand themselves. Bigoted knuckledraggers the whole lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I was surprised at the difference between the Falls and the Shankill. Like I said the Falls was really nice and we probably spent close to an hour on it taking photos, visiting the garden of remembrance etc.

I was actually shocked at how dirty, unwelcoming and menacing the Skankill is, when I mentioned this to one taxi man he said ''If you didn't feeling that on the Shankill the fvckers weren't doing their job''.

I'm a great walker and would walk for hours, so I took myself off on a walk the first evening. Found a local bar and ordered a beer 'What are you doing in here?'.. I left and got a taxi 'Wellington Hotel on the Malone Road please'.. 'What are you doing here fella?' [I got the fook outta dodge, THAT sh*t doesn't happen down here]

If that is in anyway a common or general experience of Belfast it is remarkable that it has a tourist business at all. We will weekend in Belfast and go there many times in the year for many many years, even during the conflict/war, and I have never been asked 'What are you doing here fella?'.

You are remarkable to have experienced the 'cliched' Belfast on your first trip. Well done fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They are, as a group, people who define themselves by what they hate. Therefore if the people they hate support something, they will automatically support the opposite - hence the Israel flags alongside swastikas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

keep-calm-and-happy-12th-july.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,993 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

timthumbni wrote: »
    Just to clarify that the bonfires on the 11th (or 10th nights in one case) are not normally anything to do with the OO. Also the majority of people who will attend the 12th parades today will not have attended the bonfires the night before.

Burning flags is silly on either side though not going to ruin my day either. It has to be remembered that for many here the Irish tricolour is and was associated with the IRA. Sure you still have people on here who still blab on about the union flag as the butchers apron etc. They shouldn’t be burned but in the grand scheme of things and certainly compared to the murder of a journalist recently it’s no biggie.

Regarding the 12th parades themselves they are fun family day outs. Now for those who are anti unionist or don’t like the sight of union flags, NI red hands etc etc then it’s obviously not going to be your bag. Like I wouldn’t feel comfortable going to st paddy’s day in Belfast for example. But that’s life. I just don’t go. The disruption is very temporary so wouldn’t bother me.

The parades in the country especially are very gentle affairs. Hard to get offended by an accordion band of young girls. (Well, unless you are a Tyrone gaa player by the looks of it)

The keyboard republican circle jerk of anti unionism on here is a sight to read sometimes. Some highlights include suggesting sterilisation and others calling in the army. I’m sure the 12th July and the 11th November are their most fun times of the year. Probably buy a new keyboard for each date.

Anyway I can hear pipe bands in the distance. (The horror.... the horror)

All until they can’t get what they want and march in areas they are not welcome then it turns far from a family day out.

If they OO are not part of the 11th why have they appealed before for tyres not to be burned at them?

They are all tied together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's one.

So lovely to see our nation's flag set alight like that, amazing message to send to the children in attendance.

Christ, such bigots, reminds me of that scene in Trainspotting 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I believe they remove the Union Jacks prior to combustion, but replace them with the flag of the dastardly Ivory Coast.

Bonfire-flag-error-good.jpg

Take that Côte d'Ivoire!

:D

Poor Ivory Coast, they get a bad rep every year on (Nordy accent) DE TWELFTH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

***I've just been reminded we actually stayed two nights out of the intended three
    Stayed in the exact same hotel last year and had a great time. It's just across from Queens and so is in a very neutral part of the city. Walked into and out of town a few times popping into a few pubs on the way and had absolutely zero issues.

Took a tour of the Shankill road and loyalist areas with a Linfield supporting taxi driver and again, had zero issues and felt entirely comfortable. Very nice guy who was happy to explain things from a loyalist perspective.

Also did the hop-on-hop-off bus tour and wasn't worried about hanging around waiting for the next bus wherever we stopped.

It's a great city, and I would encourage anyone to go and visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The PSNI applies Best Practice to all its affairs with the public, they are also bound by the Ombudsmans office to be totally impartial. If the PSNI/ Chief constable did not comply, be assured they would be outed and publicly repremanded.

So why don't they apply the law to loyalists? I see today the PSNI have also waved Northern Ireland's strict public drinking laws, funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

backward bitter small minded animals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

janfebmar wrote: »
    The IRA March of a few months ago in O'Connell st., far more intimidating.

It was a few seconds long, and went largely unnoticed other than it appeared in the journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Christ, such bigots, reminds me of that scene in Trainspotting 2.

Trainspotting 2 was completely forgettable other than that scene - absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Fvck that sh*t!.

Worked there for years and never had anything similar happen to me than the numerous incidents you had in 2 days.

It sounds like you went looking for trouble though - the SF shop, Shankill - why FFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I go to Belfast for gigs - the city center is a nice friendly place
    I think the suburbs are a different story though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Noveight wrote: »
    Looking at tonight’s events on social media would reaffirm the idea that we are better off without the North for another few generations.

You’d rather they be a pain in the UK’s arse than ours.

Completely, I doubt too, the politicians, Gardai/Army wouldn’t want that either... the pain of having to deal with these attitudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

cgcsb wrote: »
    I see today the PSNI have also waved Northern Ireland's strict public drinking laws, funny that.

Where did you see this? The police will use discretion in these areas and not just on the 12th July. Ffs the holylands on st paddy’s day is like a scene from day of the dead only on buckfast. Loads of Tyrone culchie students singing songs about the ra. Taking after their County players obviously.

This law is broken regularly, especially in holiday towns etc. I regularly meet cops going past whilst I have a beer in hand. The police in general don’t mind unless you are acting the dick. But I suspect that you know that.

In saying that I wonder does my orange collarette perhaps give me some kind of immunity. You might be on to something here.

Advertisement