Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Omackeral wrote: »
    The sheer size of this one. I don't know how they manage to get them built so high with work and everything to go to.

So basically while working/middle class Catholic teenagers are going to school, doing summer courses in the Gealtacht, playing GAA, volunteering or travelling the protestant kids are doing this. It's a more primitive culture, based on pre-destination (the future has already been decided by god so nothing you can do now matters), academia and artistry are frowned upon. When you compare this culture to say, main stream Irish culture in terms of art, music, science, literature, folklore, language etc. it is clear that the loyalist culture has produced nothing at all of note and is ultimately backward looking, regressive and internationally irrelevant. Burning things is their sum of achievements.

If they were any way serious about removing it at all, they'd have the army in doing it.

Maybe if direct rule is implemented after Oct, one of the very first things the Brits will do is outlaw hate organisations such as the orange order, and ban bonfires and such that incite religious intolerance or hatred.

Can you imagine the English tolerating the same craic going on around Bradford or Birmingham by Islamic extremists where they burned effigies, spreading their hatred and threatening and menacing everyone and anyone who tried to interfere?

That would be some irony.

Come October, most English people will continue to say: "There's a 'Northern' Ireland??"

What chance of Mary Lou's all Ireland Government dealing with the Loyalist extremists? Presumably not by the previous method.

Mary Lou and SF will never be in government in a UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

It's all the fault of King James I - what a prick

The province is still ****ed up 400 years later

I know. Its because nationalists fly Palestinian flags or else nationalists fly Palestinian flags just because unionists fly Israeli flags.

The only thing that unites them is that both of those idiots hate jews and muslims if they are honest.

I'd say for every nationalist flying flags, there's about 300 loyalists doing the same. Nationalist areas are much more low key, even the notorious Falls road only has a handful of permanent flags, mostly on memorials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I go to Belfast for gigs - the city center is a nice friendly place
    I think the suburbs are a different story though

Same, I found the city super friendly, hotels, bars, asking directions in the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If that is in anyway a common or general experience of Belfast it is remarkable that it has a tourist business at all. We will weekend in Belfast and go there many times in the year for many many years, even during the conflict/war, and I have never been asked 'What are you doing here fella?'.

You are remarkable to have experienced the 'cliched' Belfast on your first trip. Well done fella!

Cheers, you're welcome.

Up the 'RA and all that rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'd say for every nationalist flying flags, there's about 300 loyalists doing the same. Nationalist areas are much more low key, even the notorious Falls road only has a handful of permanent flags, mostly on memorials.
    We're not really into the whole pageantry parade thing ..its not really us.

Even on st pats we stuff our parades with drag queens and horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,993 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It's all the fault of King James I - what a prick

The province is still ****ed up 400 years later

Yep as I say send them all down to the boyne let them commentate that battle no need to hold cities, towns and villages to ransom to get to march were they are not welcome and it would see a lot of the tension go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

timthumbni wrote: »
    Just to clarify that the bonfires on the 11th (or 10th nights in one case) are not normally anything to do with the OO. Also the majority of people who will attend the 12th parades today will not have attended the bonfires the night before.

Burning flags is silly on either side though not going to ruin my day either. It has to be remembered that for many here the Irish tricolour is and was associated with the IRA. Sure you still have people on here who still blab on about the union flag as the butchers apron etc. They shouldn’t be burned but in the grand scheme of things and certainly compared to the murder of a journalist recently it’s no biggie.

Regarding the 12th parades themselves they are fun family day outs. Now for those who are anti unionist or don’t like the sight of union flags, NI red hands etc etc then it’s obviously not going to be your bag. Like I wouldn’t feel comfortable going to st paddy’s day in Belfast for example. But that’s life. I just don’t go. The disruption is very temporary so wouldn’t bother me.

The parades in the country especially are very gentle affairs. Hard to get offended by an accordion band of young girls. (Well, unless you are a Tyrone gaa player by the looks of it)

The keyboard republican circle jerk of anti unionism on here is a sight to read sometimes. Some highlights include suggesting sterilisation and others calling in the army. I’m sure the 12th July and the 11th November are their most fun times of the year. Probably buy a new keyboard for each date.

Anyway I can hear pipe bands in the distance. (The horror.... the horror)
    Instead of whatabouting and being passive aggressive, please bear in mind that it's an unpleasant, intimidatory situation for nationalists, and has painful connections for them. And nobody has to be a member of a republican circle jerk to understand this.

• Advertisement

Where did you see this? The police will use discretion in these areas and not just on the 12th July. Ffs the holylands on st paddy’s day is like a scene from day of the dead only on buckfast. Loads of Tyrone culchie students singing songs about the ra. Taking after their County players obviously.

This law is broken regularly, especially in holiday towns etc. I regularly meet cops going past whilst I have a beer in hand. The police in general don’t mind unless you are acting the dick. But I suspect that you know that.

In saying that I wonder does my orange collarette perhaps give me some kind of immunity. You might be on to something here.

You can see all the plastic cups and bags of bukie on all the videos and the police doing nothing. You've a weird obsession with Tyrone GAA singing come out you black and tans, like why would that bother you?

We're not really into the whole pageantry parade thing ..its not really us.

Even on st pats we stuff our parades with drag queens and horses.

These 12th marches are dull, dour affairs with drunk oul lads walking, tatoo test subjects playing ****e music and vans with flegs on them. The colour and artistry and costumes you get at paddies day are class, no comparison.

PSNI to investigate themselves over the possibility of the names of the contractors to remove the bonfire being leaked is he biggest joke ever should be another police force

https://twitter.com/bbcmarksimpson/status/1149599971605241858?s=21

Police have no power to remove trespassers

https://twitter.com/bbcmarksimpson/status/1149609777527324672?s=21

Let’s see what August brings

• Registered Users Posts: 66,904 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Family days out' tourism will go through the roof! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

An intelligent alien visiting earth would find it so odd that woke Britannia is ok with this, or that it gets so little coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I was often in Belfast for concerts etc at the Waterfront and Odyssey. I have done all the tourist stuff as well with no problem.But come the marching season high in July the atmosphere along the Antrim Rd etc definetely changes.
    I can understand their loyalty and allegiance to the Crown ( which wont be returned by Boris and co when it suits them). Having done the tour of Flanders and the Somme I can understand the commemmoration of the war dead from Ulster which included thousands of Catholics from areas such as West Belfast, Tyrone, Armagh etc. The loyalists dont recognise this fact at all

I just cant understand their need for triumphalism and insulting of the Irish state that buys their agricultural produce, supports their tourism industry etc.
    Then of course we will have the British Open coming up. Will they take down their Soldier F banners then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

All until they can’t get what they want and march in areas they are not welcome then it turns far from a family day out.

If they OO are not part of the 11th why have they appealed before for tyres not to be burned at them?

They are all tied together.

Sure you had mervyn the head of that sectarian orange order speaking with Jamie Bryson( a notorious individual) about the bonfire at the leisure centre. The orange order use loyalists when it suits to promote their cause and have done for years. Look at billy wright on the garvaghy all those years ago.

It hasn't made the BBC headlines, you have to go into the NI section.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's an odd time of the year...

I'm born and bred in Donegal, 80s child so remember the tail end of the troubles, mildly Prod background, lived in Derry for a few years, work in Derry the last 20 and even married a "mucker".

I have no time for the terrorists or their sympathisers on either side. But I've always found that the loons on the Unionist side were worse than those on the Nationalist side. Just a more venomous bitter sort.

Take the Derry murals for example. The Bogside murals are for the most part a quite poignant look back at the oppression of the past (mostly, not all of course). Then on the other side of the river you have lovely images like this:
    5402075b9845737cfc5cc5a7c89f322c.jpg

I've been to Belfast probably close to 100 times and driven through it quite often. I've always felt uncomfortable driving through the Unionist areas than the Nationalist ones, even when I had a northern reg car.

It's bizarre how it brings the bigot out of normal people. I have deleted a few Facebook friends over the years, you know the sort of typical Facebook friend, not that close in real life but you chat to them at work and end up adding them etc. But normal decent people going about their lives.

Then you see them on the 12th posting pictures of your flag ablaze on a bonfire without seeming to have a notion of how offensive that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Omackeral wrote: »
    When the Confederate Flag isn't seen as the most controversial one, you've an issue.

_84138116_naziflag.jpg
    It's pure facism.

More often than not it's pure idiocy as well.

Despite flying an actual Swastika, they fly the Israeli flag too. Absolute knuckle-dragging troglodytes.

163311240-b07ec0ee-4550-4488-bb3d-2766bf91a357.jpg

Can any of our resident unionists explain why a swastika would be flown alongside the union jack?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It's an odd time of the year...

I'm born and bred in Donegal, 80s child so remember the tail end of the troubles, mildly Prod background, lived in Derry for a few years, work in Derry the last 20 and even married a "mucker".

I have no time for the terrorists or their sympathisers on either side. But I've always found that the loons on the Unionist side were worse than those on the Nationalist side. Just a more venomous bitter sort.

Take the Derry murals for example. The Bogside murals are for the most part a quite poignant look back at the oppression of the past (mostly, not all of course). Then on the other side of the river you have lovely images like this:
    5402075b9845737cfc5cc5a7c89f322c.jpg

I've been to Belfast probably close to 100 times and driven through it quite often. I've always felt uncomfortable driving through the Unionist areas than the Nationalist ones, even when I had a northern reg car.

It's bizarre how it brings the bigot out of normal people. I have deleted a few Facebook friends over the years, you know the sort of typical Facebook friend, not that close in real life but you chat to them at work and end up adding them etc. But normal decent people going about their lives.

Then you see them on the 12th posting pictures of your flag ablaze on a bonfire without seeming to have a notion of how offensive that is.

Yeah I walked down both the shankill and the falls and have to say while both are not great the shankill far more menacing. Also someone would need to do a spellcheck at the loyalist memorials, littered with spelling mistakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just to clarify that the bonfires on the 11th (or 10th nights in one case) are not normally anything to do with the OO. Also the majority of people who will attend the 12th parades today will not have attended the bonfires the night before.

Burning flags is silly on either side though not going to ruin my day either. It has to be remembered that for many here the Irish tricolour is and was associated with the IRA. Sure you still have people on here who still blab on about the union flag as the butchers apron etc. They shouldn’t be burned but in the grand scheme of things and certainly compared to the murder of a journalist recently it’s no biggie.

Regarding the 12th parades themselves they are fun family day outs. Now for those who are anti unionist or don’t like the sight of union flags, NI red hands etc etc then it’s obviously not going to be your bag. Like I wouldn’t feel comfortable going to st paddy’s day in Belfast for example. But that’s life. I just don’t go. The disruption is very temporary so wouldn’t bother me.

The parades in the country especially are very gentle affairs. Hard to get offended by an accordion band of young girls. (Well, unless you are a Tyrone gaa player by the looks of it)

The keyboard republican circle jerk of anti unionism on here is a sight to read sometimes. Some highlights include suggesting sterilisation and others calling in the army. I’m sure the 12th July and the 11th November are their most fun times of the year. Probably buy a new keyboard for each date.

Ban all parades. People across all sides up north need to grow up and stop acting like petulant children. Parades only serve to provoke tensions. They have no place in a progressive NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is that Eddie Maiden??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Do the BBC broadcast the 12th July parades every year. Was flicking through the channel is today and watched some of it . Not a very inclusive celebration by the looks of it and deemed important enough to be broadcast live. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Car99 wrote: »
    Do the BBC broadcast the 12th July parades every year. Was flicking through the channel is today and watched some of it . Not a very inclusive celebration by the looks of it and deemed important enough to be broadcast live. Odd.

Yes, every single year. It’s a huge event in the unionist community so rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,904 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes they do and the contentious, controversial aspect, and what it is all actually about, (religious triumphalism) is studiously ignored/not mentioned in that famous BBC way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just BBC NI. The rest of the regions probably don't even know it's going on (with the possible exception of BBC Scotland).

Yep but don’t broadcast live on St Patrick’s day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Just to clarify that there is no NI red hand. The red hand of Ulster is an Irish symbol used to denote the irish province of Ulster.

Advertisement