Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,923 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    The Republicans walk through the nearest Protestant town to me every year celebrating the ira and there’s not a word about it

What town and have you a Parades Commission determination on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Those things are part of the strategy for strengthening the language.

If somebody is going to take offence at the sight of a language, that really is their problem to deal with. Dealing with it involves things like maturity and learning the value of respect.

Agreed Francie and this attitude should prevail towards all culture

You're on a different planet.

They're expressing support for a killer who's being prosecuted for multiple murders not far away from where they're marching.

Nasty pieces of work.

This pails into insignificance when compared to what republicans have been up to this week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Republicans walk through the nearest Protestant town to me every year celebrating the ira and there’s not a word about it

Is it a Unionist area where they are supporting a specific IRA man who murdered a few of the locals not far from where they're marching?

Because if it is they should be banned from it using the full force of the law.

Wouldn't you agree?

Like the para flag they took to Dublin? :)

Maybe they all have ambitions to join the Para's too?

Both sets of fans try to antagonise each other downcow. Call it out...stop the defending of 'yourwans'.

I do call it out I can assure you.
    And yes there are special sensitivities when ni meet the team that broke away from them to set up their own team and poach ni players.
    I have still shared pints with their fans and enjoyed their company while each of us can be clear how we despise arches team. That’s football

• Advertisement

This pails into insignificance when compared to what republicans have been up to this week

Yes, two women researched a tragic death 46 years ago and sought out the exact spot to dance on. This crime was only evident to those who did the same exploitative research to find something to take offence about.

And SF MEP Matina Anderson made a speech about SF's aspirations.

Terrible stuff altogether. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,996 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh dear. Sad stuff.
    Your victim hood and conspiracy theory thinking is just unbelievable
    There was no way I meant anything by not naming the MEP. I thought we all knew it was martina Anderson.
    My spelling of ‘ourselves alone’ was also because I do not have a clue how to spell it in Irish other than I think it starts with T Of course I could look it up on google but you are far to sensitive I meant no offence.

As for ni fans. I am one and travel all over Europe with them. I absolutely love travelling with them and can’t wait for Amsterdam next month.
    The behaviour of the ni fans (and indeed almost all other countries fans I meet)
    Of course you can find isolated instances and I can find you roi fans chanting IRA. But I think it is irrelevant because my experience of roi fans is that they are good guys out having fun just like us and I defend them when bigots do what you have just done on the ni fans.
    I think roi fans have a little further to travel eg the very large proportion of their fans wearing Celtic shirts. If you were to turn up in a bar on an away trip in a rangers shirt you will be shunned and asked stuff like , oh are rangers playing here as well? You won’t find anything near a ni game that is not ni related. I think the roi fans should probably think of stopping wearing a British teams shirts when they are supporting roi

Happy days now I am sad and a victim because I have pointed out things that you are doing and have admitted to in the past that you will not type Martin McGuiness name at all. To me that is the height of being a bigot. I don't like Gregory Campbell for what he does and says but I will still use his name correctly.

I do call it out I can assure you.

No you don't, you just tried to pretend it doesn't exist. Jaysus.
    downcow wrote:
    You won’t find anything near a ni game that is not ni related.

This lol

Is it a Unionist area where they are supporting a specific IRA man who murdered a few of the locals not far from where they're marching?

Because if it is they should be banned from it using the full force of the law.

Wouldn't you agree?

It is a unionist are where during the troubles over a dozen local Protestants were killed by the ira without a single retaliatory murder by unionists And yes the celebrate the organisation that killed threes people. Local Protestants have learned to ignore it because they believe in the right to parade.

• Advertisement

Happy days now I am sad and a victim because I have pointed out things that you are doing and have admitted to in the past that you will not type Martin McGuiness name at all. To me that is the height of being a bigot. .

Now I am getting on but unless I have dementia you are telly blatant lies.
    Show us the evidence or maybe just retract and apologise

Yes, two women researched a tragic death 46 years ago and sought out the exact spot to dance on. This crime was only evident to those who did the same exploitative research to find something to take offence about.

Nearly as bad as some lads showing support for a military veteran lol

I say having not seen it as I could not give two hoots about SF but what Martina said is nothing worse in the eyes of the audience there than anything said in the fields on the 12th for that audience. Others will be offended by of as they don't like it.

Now I am getting on but unless I have dementia you are telly blatant lies.
    Show us the evidence or maybe just retract and apologise

Can't be arsed to go back through the thread but you were called out on your use of MMG and a codename for him instead of using his name and you have said you would not use his name

Nearly as bad as some lads showing support for a military veteran lol

No it isn't. Because 'those lads' agreed to not parading contentious or provocative symbols.

The inclusion of an 'F' completely negates your earlier defense that the Para logo is worn because these 'lads' have aspirations to join the regiment.

It was blatant provocation, which is not nearly the same as faux outrage about a spontaneous dance to a bit of Irish music.

The organisers have accepted what it was and apologised for it downcow, you may have missed that. Although they are hiding behind the 'we didn't know' excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Come back in three hundred years, after a United Ireland, when Republicans march all over the place every summer, to rub your noses in it, after you've won a right to be be left the hell alone, and you'd have a case.

You're so blinded by your own bigotry you're unaware of the sea of shit you're swimming in.

you have said you would not use his name

Lies. Now I will ask you nicely to withdraw it or I will have no choice but to report you.
    It is bad form to accuse other poster of stuff that is clearly not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Can't believe people are defending that band wearing the para logo with F on it. People full well know how provocative something like that would be to the nationalist community in Derry.

Reading some of the posts on this thread I see how far NI has to go to shed its sectarianism, a long way to go unfortunately.

To be fair though I drove through Strabane the other day when the hunger strike parades where on, IMO I thought they were quite provocative as well. Its a shame people in NI can't move beyond this kind of stuff.

Can't believe people are defending that band wearing the para logo with F on it. People full well know how provocative something like that would be to the nationalist community in Derry.

Reading some of the posts on this thread I see how far NI has to go to shed its sectarianism, a long way to go unfortunately.

To be fair though I drove through Strabane the other day when the hunger strike parades where on, IMO I thought they were quite provocative as well. Its a shame people in NI can't move beyond this kind of stuff.

There is a difference though and it is not to defend either.

A way has to be found to allow the commemoration of the dead on both sides. This happens in normal society without much issue.

There is a huge difference between that and deliberate provocation on a very current issue.

There is a difference though and it is not to defend either.

A way has to be found to allow the commemoration of the dead on both sides. This happens in normal society without much issue.

There is a huge difference between that and deliberate provocation on a very current issue.

Yes I agree Francie, in Strabane I don't think it was deliberate provocation, none the less there was huge signs of hunger strikers around the town and I imagine it must have been quite intimidating to protestants.
    But I understand that republicans have the riight to commemorate the hunger strikes.

• Advertisement

Yes I agree Francie, in Strabane I don't think it was deliberate provocation, none the less there was huge signs of hunger strikers around the town and I imagine it must have been quite intimidating to protestants.
    But I understand that republicans have the riight to commemorate the hunger strikes.

And there are huge symbols of the Unionist state on permanent display throughout the north, the statue of the man who re-introduced the gun to Irish politics for instance, Carson.

I understand that people might not like these displays but there has to be some equality in that regard too on simple, if it's good enough for the goose...terms alone. Or let's agree to ban all displays equally.

Saying that doesn't and never should condone deliberate provocation and triumphalism though.

Lol. So that’s ok that it was only the Protestants that we’re intimidated. This is the core problem.
    I have heard ABOD show sensible leadership today but still silence from SF about Strava me and the west Belfast festival about their concert. Let’s hope they catch up with the ABOD soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The Apprentice boys were goading people regarding civilians being shot and killed by the Paras.
    The hunger strikes didn't kill anyone other than those who took part and wasn't a celebration of murder.
    The Apprentice Boys should be disbanded and membership made illegal IMO.

The Apprentice boys were goading people regarding civilians being shot and killed by the Paras.
    The hunger strikes didn't kill anyone other than those who took part and wasn't a celebration of murder.
    The Apprentice Boys should be disbanded and membership made illegal IMO.

The hunger strikers didn’t kill anyone. Are you for real. I don’t know the stats but I would guess the ira killed 20 times more people than the paras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The hunger strikers didn’t kill anyone. Are you for real. I don’t know the stats but I would guess the ira killed 20 times more people than the paras.

Not buying your deflection and editing. I said Hunger Strikes. That's an event. Let's bring it back on course.
    Commemorations or placards on the Hunger Strikes are about the time prisoners were starving themselves in protest.
    It is in no way comparable to the apprentice boys wearing the paras insignia to goad nationalists regarding the murdering of unarmed civilians talking part in a peace march.

Lol. So that’s ok that it was only the Protestants that we’re intimidated. This is the core problem.
    I have heard ABOD show sensible leadership today but still silence from SF about Strava me and the west Belfast festival about their concert. Let’s hope they catch up with the ABOD soon

Where on earth did you take that impression from my post?
    Did you read my post before that? I never suggested in anyway its OK that protestants might have been intimidated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Did you read my post before that? I never suggested in anyway its OK that protestants might have been intimidated.

Twisting posts to play the victim is her speciality

Not buying your deflection and editing. I said Hunger Strikes. That's an event. Let's bring it back on course.
    Commemorations or placards on the Hunger Strikes are about the time prisoners were starving themselves in protest.
    It is in no way comparable to the apprentice boys wearing the paras insignia to goad nationalists regarding the murdering of unarmed civilians talking part in a peace march.

Do you realise that the hunger strikers were members of the most efficient sectarian killing machine in Europe. There organisation tortured and killed endless unarmed civilians.

I apologise if I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying it wasn’t quite as bad an MEP intimidating Protestants in Strabane as a band causing offence to catholics in Derry.
    I accept I read it wrong and you didn’t mean that

• Advertisement

Lies. Now I will ask you nicely to withdraw it or I will have no choice but to report you.
    It is bad form to accuse other poster of stuff that is clearly not true.

So you did not write this?
    With respect. If you think I am going to search google to ensure I don’t spell a mans name wrong, a man who caused endless death and torture to my community, then you are mistaken. If it helps I’ll refer to him as the Fisherman from here on as it’s easy spelt and everyone will know who I’m talking about

Advertisement