Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    Here is a good one for you .. Marching to commemorate the Battle of The Some a few years ago

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/nazi-swastika-tattooed-man-takes-part-in-belfast-somme-commemoration-parade-34816123.html

Never seen that. Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Nazi flag is just a footnote to their KKK links

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There's a little more to Unionist flying of the flag of Israel. At its heart Unionist sympathies are not with Jews, or even Israel, but with ultra-nationalist Israel's treatment of the Palestinians.

Unionists wish that the British would have 'West Banked' rebel Belfast and 'Gazaed' South Armagh and the Bogside of Derry. Remember it wasn't so long ago that Unionist politicians were calling for airstrikes on Dundalk.

Make no mistake about it there are elements within Unionism who'd like nothing more than a big militarised wall built along the length of the border with the pesky natives on 'their' side knowing their subordinated place.

It's a torture fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Never seen that. Classic.

Ah, the cognitive dissonance of the scumbag class. :D Reminds me of the Croke Park protester...

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

endacl wrote: »
    Ah, the cognitive dissonance of the scumbag class. :D Reminds me of the Croke Park protester...

image.jpg

Not that there aren't fools on both sides.

But you really should update yourself on that pic. It is a fairly obvious photoshop.
    You can see how it was done.
    p2240016.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

endacl wrote: »

image.jpg
    Classic gob****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I see where there is a gigantic pile of pallets stacked up in an estate in Portadown which the fire service regard as a 'serious health and safety risk'. Apparently 30+ firms have been approached to remove/dismantle it but nobody will touch it. One things for certain if that was some years ago in a nationalist area the British army would be steaming in like a flash to dismantle it and anything else that was in its way.

I thought this thread was about a batch of Conor MacGregor's booze that no-one wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

It’s a supremacist parade that would be banned if it targeted any other ethnic group.

Examples please...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As someone from a Northern family (Belfast born) who moved to Dublin in 1976 (when I was 1 year old) to escape the darkest days of the Troubles and of a Catholic background but with Protestant second cousins on my father's side and good friends from both sides of the "divide" - the whole shenanigans around the July marching season is pathetic and sad.

Basically the North is best avoided for the entire month of July - the height of the tourist season in Ireland. Many of my Nordie mates just take holidays abroad with their families at this time of year because of all the tension and hassle that they would rather their kids not be exposed to directly.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs and shows that Northern Ireland is easily the most socially regressive place in Western Europe and is decades away from being ready to reunify with the Republic. Anywho, it seems many if not most people in the Republic do not want the North will all its attendant problems and given the crap up there at the moment, that is very understandable.

But I will say that Belfast is a great wee city to visit and is much friendlier than Dublin. It has come on in leaps and bounds since the Good Friday Agreement and is a great place to visit and shop.

...but ideally not in the month of July!

Just home from a great parade. Big crowd, great weather (for NI anyway). Any genuine questions not from the usual republican circle jerk posters welcome. And they know who they are as do I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

timthumbni wrote: »
    Just home from a great parade. Big crowd, great weather (for NI anyway). Any genuine questions not from the usual republican circle jerk posters welcome. And they know who they are as do I.

Just if you could answer or give a guess to why a Swastika is flown along side the Union flag? We get the Israel one, could you shed light or offer a theory on the Nazi one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Do they still have that silly mascot to make it a 'fun filled family day'? Super orange tom or whatevrr he is called?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    As someone from a Northern family (Belfast born) who moved to Dublin in 1976 (when I was 1 year old) to escape the darkest days of the Troubles and of a Catholic background but with Protestant second cousins on my father's side and good friends from both sides of the "divide" - the whole shenanigans around the July marching season is pathetic and sad!

So you have Protestant 2nd cousins on your fathers side. So integrated then. Sounds very condescending to me.

You are correct in that Belfast is a far better city than Dublin to go out in. I’m not talking about the Shankill rd or Falls rd as that would be like me going to Dublin and heading to Ballymum.

Avoiding Belfast for the whole month of July is completely ridiculous. Avoid the 12th day if you are bothered but the city centre is now full of hipster bars and great craic in general. Probably more Irish than Dublin nowadays funny enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Odhinn

retalivity wrote: »
    Do they still have that silly mascot to make it a 'fun filled family day'? Super orange tom or whatevrr he is called?

I think they had to get rid of it as it was copied from somebody elses work.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just if you could answer or give a guess to why a Swastika is flown along side the Union flag? We get the Israel one, could you shed light or offer a theory on the Nazi one?

I saw that picture earlier. Was that from a few years ago? I seem to remember something like that a few years back and it was quickly removed. You have to remember that any dick can put a flag on a lamppost. Whoever did that was obviously a scumbag.

Nothing more, nor nothing less. The parade I attended today lowered their banners as they passed the war cenotaph in respect. Nazi scumbag flags are certainly not something I’ve come across personally in NI and should be burned imo. That’s the only light on that one as I’m not sure where that was from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nothing more, nor nothing less. The parade I attended today lowered their banners as they passed the war cenotaph in respect. Nazi scumbag flags are certainly not something I’ve come across personally in NI and should be burned imo. That’s the only light on that one as I’m not sure where that was from.

Why do you need to burn flags can you not just, like, not have them? Or remove them?

Why do you need to burn flags can you not just, like, not have them? Or remove them?

Figure of speech. Hard to burn flags now anyway. Pesky flame retardant covering. No problem trying with a nazi flag though.

Maybe misread your post. If you mean burning the Irish flag then I don’t agree either. The flags they burn are stolen from republican areas flying them or bought simply to burn. Stupid but not the end of the world.

I used to associate the Irish flag with the Ira as that is the only time I saw it on ira coffins. Now I know different in that it is my neighbours flag. I have one myself in the house and not to burn before any smart arse comes I worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2 questions

1 - your thoughts on what I mentioned earlier. Why the Unionist obsession with Ulster despite the fact that 3 of 9 counties are in the Republic. Yes I know its generally taught in school (even that fact is shocking) but how/why do so many of the general public still not realise that they're being a bit thick?

2 - do you agree that the attitude by police and politicians in allowing or not condemning the bonfires stacked with Irish flags and KAT slogans is a disgrace?

Genuine questions by the way, I'm certainly not one of the of the circle jerkers you referred to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

What's the ivory coast got to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Hoboo wrote: »
    What's the ivory coast got to do with anything?

It vaguely resembles the irish flag, so they burn it by mistake a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Can someone explain to me why they fly Union Jack, Nazi flag and Israel flag?
    The first I can understand but I dont get the other 2 and as a whole - the combo of flags seems ludicrous.

They used to fly the South African flag also. Basically where there is apartheid and ethnic supremicism, they'll support it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

To those of the Unionist persuasion, just 2 simple questions.

Do you think it is right to march in areas where you are simply not wanted?

Do you agree with burning our national flag on your bonfires?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Did you genuinely think that parade was fun? Or do you just feel culturally obligated to say that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So you have Protestant 2nd cousins on your fathers side. So integrated then. Sounds very condescending to me.

You are correct in that Belfast is a far better city than Dublin to go out in. I’m not talking about the Shankill rd or Falls rd as that would be like me going to Dublin and heading to Ballymum.

Avoiding Belfast for the whole month of July is completely ridiculous. Avoid the 12th day if you are bothered but the city centre is now full of hipster bars and great craic in general. Probably more Irish than Dublin nowadays funny enough.

So being critical of the tribalism, triumphalism, bigotry and thuggery associated with the July marching season is "condescending" it it? :rolleyes:

Get a grip...

You might find this very hard to believe in your small little inward-looking world, but Northern friends of mine from a Protestant background actually distance themselves from the Orange Order, the marches and bonfires and prefer to get out of the North to take a break from the rather tense atmosphere at this time of year.

My Dutch relative (through my sister's marriage) lives and works in Ballymena - is married to a Ballymena man and has two small children - and has been told several times by locals to "go home" and "you're not welcome here."

Delightful stuff indeed.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    2 questions

1 - your thoughts on what I mentioned earlier. Why the Unionist obsession with Ulster despite the fact that 3 of 9 counties are in the Republic. Yes I know its generally taught in school (even that fact is shocking) but how/why do so many of the general public still not realise that they're being a bit thick?

2 - do you agree that the attitude by police and politicians in allowing or not condemning the bonfires stacked with Irish flags and KAT slogans is a disgrace?

Genuine questions by the way, I'm certainly not one of the of the circle jerkers you referred to!

1- re Ulster technically obviously a misnomer nowadays. Ulster says NO, Ulster flag, uvf, uff etc etc. Hence why I try to refer to the NI red hand flag now instead of an Ulster flag. Just a name really so wouldn’t be that big an issue though to me anyway.

2- The psni are is a difficult spot here. It is not their place to take down flags on posts unless public safety is at risk. I think most sensible people have condemned the burning of flags on bonfires. KAT slogans are a disgrace but walk around the Lagan area and loads of KAH (kill all huns) graffiti about. (Maybe Tyrone gaa players have been around) Thats Belfast for you. Bigger cities tend to have a bigger collection of twats about imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

So being critical of the tribalism, triumphalism, bigotry and thuggery associated with the July marching season is "condescending" it it? :rolleyes:

Get a grip...

You might find this very hard to believe in your small little inward-looking world, but Northern friends of mine from a Protestant background actually distance themselves from the Orange Order, the marches and bonfires and prefer to get out of the North to take a break from the rather tense atmosphere at this time of year.

My Dutch relative (through my sister's marriage) lives and works in Ballymena - is married to a Ballymena man and has two small children - and has been told several times by locals to "go home" and "you're not welcome here."

Delightful stuff indeed.

If you in any way question Protestants and their culture you are a die hard republican. Plenty people question it and are even embarrassed by it within their community. The orange order who basically are the reason for this public holiday have no place in 21st century uk or Ireland. It’s as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

1- re Ulster technically obviously a misnomer nowadays. Ulster says NO, Ulster flag, uvf, uff etc etc. Hence why I try to refer to the NI red hand flag now instead of an Ulster flag. Just a name really so wouldn’t be that big an issue though to me anyway.

2- The psni are is a difficult spot here. It is not their place to take down flags on posts unless public safety is at risk. I think most sensible people have condemned the burning of flags on bonfires. KAT slogans are a disgrace but walk around the Lagan area and loads of KAH (kill all huns) graffiti about. (Maybe Tyrone gaa players have been around) Thats Belfast for you. Bigger cities tend to have a bigger collection of twats about imo.

I was in Belfast a few times and very little flags in republican areas. However loyalist areas were full of them. It’s actually worse now with these parachute flags everywhere which really only serve to try and incite further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I was in Belfast a few times and very little flags in republican areas. However loyalist areas were full of them. It’s actually worse now with these parachute flags everywhere which really only serve to try and incite further.
    Yeah the Soldier F flags are really sick, I seen they put some up in Enniskillen. Usually it's not the worst town for that sort of loyalist bigotry.

• Advertisement

Get a grip...

My Dutch relative (through my sister's marriage) lives and works in Ballymena - is married to a Ballymena man and has two small children - and has been told several times by locals to "go home" and "you're.

No, the condescending bit was you pointing out you had a 2nd cousin twice removed who was Protestant like you were David Attenborough in amongst the lions in Africa.

Of course many from a unionist background don’t go to bonfires, the parades or anything else. I already have said this the past. I was. Close to not going myself but kids wanted to go. We get 2 public holidays and a lot of tradesmen and factory’s take their week off now. Of course that’s why a lot take their week in Benidorm or Santa ponsa.

It’s rarely because of the parades themselves. Jaysus, I went to the parade and wasn’t even held up in the town itself either going or coming.

Advertisement