Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeman Megamerge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

To my non-legal eyes, isn't (f) just restricting him from acting on behalf of others, not himself?

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Proceedings were issued on Friday against RTE and it's listed for tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

To my non-legal eyes, isn't (f) just restricting him from acting on behalf of others, not himself?

that is my understanding as well. (a) to (e) are only concerned with the case against AIB. (f) is a general ban on him acting as a McKenzie friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ben getting short shrift from the High Court today.
    Another conspiracy no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

I’d love to hear what the judges actual comment were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Holy Mary

whippet wrote: »
    I’d love to hear what the judges actual comment were

Judge agreed with RTÉ version of events.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/court-dismisses-ben-gilroy-s-challenge-to-exclusion-from-rt%C3%A9-debate-1.3892312

So in effect the court ruled that Gilroy was taking the action for publicity and not any other altruistic reason !

So in effect the court ruled that Gilroy was taking the action for publicity and not any other altruistic reason !

Mr Justice Senan Allen said the case had no legal basis and awarded costs against Mr Gilroy.

The judge refused to hear an application by Mr Gilroy for an urgent injunction saying: "You've had your day".

The judge described him as a "seasoned litigant" with liberal knowledge but limited understanding of the law.

He said the court could not make a decision on the substantive issue but it seemed to him the approach of RTÉ in choosing candidates for the debate was sensible.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0514/1049362-court-gilroy-rte/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Squatter wrote: »

I don't get why they don't clarify and modernise his title.

Something like "Pre-trial Assistant", "Guy who checks that the spelling is right" or "Junior Clerk" should stop him getting confused with Justice Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Holy Mary wrote: »
    Mr Justice Senan Allen said the case had no legal basis and awarded costs against Mr Gilroy.

The judge refused to hear an application by Mr Gilroy for an urgent injunction saying: "You've had your day".

The judge described him as a "seasoned litigant" with liberal knowledge but limited understanding of the law.

He said the court could not make a decision on the substantive issue but it seemed to him the approach of RTÉ in choosing candidates for the debate was sensible.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0514/1049362-court-gilroy-rte/

"The court could not make such an order, as it is not known in law, and Mr Gilroy should have known that, the judge said."

:pac:

*Taking money to give legal advice when one is a layman, check.

*Property in repossession, check.

*Insulting judges and gardaí, check.

*Getting people to places when they legally have no right to be there, check.

*Pretending to know what you are on about, check.

*Grovelling apologies when you realise that the judge really is about you send you down, check.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/business-man-apologises-to-court-for-remarks-made-about-judge-in-e-mail-924802.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I went through some videos on YouTube the other day. Mainly the Mayo contingent and their exploits in Castlebar courtroom a couple of years back, good times. Has there been any movement from the lads in recent times?

I also saw the professionally made 'The framing of Joe Doocey'. Can't link it as I'm on my phone but my god, the delusion is off the scale. Joe is still behind bars I see. They need him back in the fold I'd say.

*Taking money to give legal advice when one is a layman, check.

*Property in repossession, check.

*Insulting judges and gardaí, check.

*Getting people to places when they legally have no right to be there, check.

*Pretending to know what you are on about, check.

*Grovelling apologies when you realise that the judge really is about you send you down, check.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/business-man-apologises-to-court-for-remarks-made-about-judge-in-e-mail-924802.html

Payment for definitely “not” legal advice

Acting as a McKenzie friend

Fighting for the right to never pay a penny that’s owed

Accusing judges of “Criminal conspiracy”

I’d swear I’d heard of identical behaviour before. Has this gent ever considered running for election? I hear there’s a European candidate he might identify with

Good Lord. First we had Ed smashing windows with hammers.
    Now we have his pal Ben smashing up the place with a hurling stick.

• Advertisement

Holy Mary wrote: »
    Good Lord. First we had Ed smashing windows with hammers.
    Now we have his pal Ben smashing up the place with a hurling stick.

https://twitter.com/electionlit/status/1130396544824467456

For anyone that hasn't seen it :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

We can safely say that from the way he wields the "hurling stick", Gilroy's GAA credentials are as bogus as his legal ones. It's already become a meme.

At least it’s not as ridiculous as his last campaigns nonsense .. tried to make his stuff look like a marvel comic and it just looked stupid !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

that video is deranged.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Robbo wrote: »
    We can safely say that from the way he wields the "hurling stick", Gilroy's GAA credentials are as bogus as his legal ones. It's already become a meme.
    I dont know anything about GAA but Id be embarrassed to refer to it as a "hurley stick", how can you be that oblivious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Thargor wrote: »
    I dont know anything about GAA but Id be embarrassed to refer to it as a "hurley stick", how can you be that oblivious?

A Meath man knows as much about hurling as a Kilkenny man knows about football.

Nosnon wrote: »
    A Meath man knows as much about hurling as a Kilkenny man knows about football.

Or as much as a Freeman knows about the Law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

https://twitter.com/JOEdotie/status/1130520217870831617

Quite possibly my favourite twist on it so far

Goldhawk had better be careful in case he gets a welly from a hurley real soon...

https://www.facebook.com/ThePhoenixMagazine/photos/a.167799593237331/2748763701807561/?type=3&theater

480948.jpeg

In case the FB link breaks at some point :D

Chapeau to the Phoenix

Poor Ben .. he’s declared that he is ‘giving up’ and concentrating on making money for his family if the exit polls run true.

He might even try make a dent in the mortgage to keep the family home now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Ben featured Have I Got News For You tonight, so its not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Poor Ben .. he’s declared that he is ‘giving up’ and concentrating on making money for his family if the exit polls run true.

He might even try make a dent in the mortgage to keep the family home now

For a man who claims to be unable to pay to keep the roof over his familys heads, he has some amount of cash to p1ss away on election related paraphernalia

https://twitter.com/MatthewLysaght/status/1131973653384581120

https://twitter.com/paul_cawley/status/1131865728573947904

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Come now Victoria - "Irish Politician" is a bit strong.

And just when things could not get any worse, Gemma denounced him from a height due to his alleged association with some business man. Normally this kind of thing would prompt a visit to the High court. Odd.

• Advertisement

The victories are stacking up like E-Voting machines for one of our favourite Freemen, with no less than two landmark judgements in recent weeks.

http://courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/87d31bacdd6db67c80258411003859ef?OpenDocument

http://courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/00fc33b15d9e28048025841500522974?OpenDocument

Meanwhile another civilian loses their home due to "the assistance of dubious McKenzie friends" :rolleyes:

http://courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/54b23003201bd28f802584100043d5b6?OpenDocument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Ben spent last week in Washington DC, delightful clip of him sinking pints and playing a bodhrán in an Irish bar. He’ll come back refreshed and full of new tactics to defeat the corrupt banks...

Ben spent last week in Washington DC, delightful clip of him sinking pints and playing a bodhrán in an Irish bar. He’ll come back refreshed and full of new tactics to defeat the corrupt banks...

Indeed. Positivity is a powerful stimulant for the disenchanted.

The victories are stacking up like E-Voting machines for one of our favourite Freemen, with no less than two landmark judgements in recent weeks.

http://courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/87d31bacdd6db67c80258411003859ef?OpenDocument

http://courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/00fc33b15d9e28048025841500522974?OpenDocument

Meanwhile another civilian loses their home due to "the assistance of dubious McKenzie friends" :rolleyes:

http://courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/54b23003201bd28f802584100043d5b6?OpenDocument
    For that last one I don't think it is her home as an alternate address in County Galway is given - the property in the case is a commercial building at 4 Prospect Hill on the edge of Eyre Square - across from TK Maxx for those who might not know the address. It is an escape room business at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

What news of the Lord Byron these days

GavMan wrote: »

Well he was on the luas yesterday anyway, in his hub t-shirt and brown blazer

For that last one I don't think it is her home as an alternate address in County Galway is given - the property in the case is a commercial building at 4 Prospect Hill on the edge of Eyre Square - across from TK Maxx for those who might not know the address. It is an escape room business at the moment.

Thanks for the clarification. It is evident that I knowest not Galway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Standards have really slipped at US Customs and Border Protection.

i'm curious about that myself. How did he answer this question on the ESTA?
    “Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?”

• Advertisement

i'm curious about that myself. How did he answer this question on the ESTA?

oh id imagine he found a breach in maritime law that covered him

GavMan wrote: »
    Still plugging away above the middle Eastern restaurant, pivoting towards the right, finding cures for cancer on Google, berating Trump protestors and that sort of thing. Exactly the kind of posting you'd expect from a middle aged Brit expat. I wonder does Jerusalem do any gammon dishes?

Amusingly, the Hub are using the Fahy case above as a cautionary tale to "Be mindful of what you put into your affidavit".

As has been seen on this thread, their usual non-advice has been to create a monstrous affidavit full of dubious facts, assertions and misplaced legal argument so it's a bit rich.

You'd wonder how a man who, by most accounts, hasn't had a paid job in years could swing such a trip but then the finances of Ben are a mystery for the ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

You'd wonder how a man who, by most accounts, hasn't had a paid job in years could swing such a trip but then the finances of Ben are a mystery for the ages.

Gemma O'Doherty seems to believe that he is being bankrolled by George Soros.

Standards have really slipped at US Customs and Border Protection.[/QUOTE

Maybe he just said he was there!

according to ben himself
    Just leaving the great city of Washington DC after a very successful week with lawyers and the securities and exchange commission, in relation to banking corruption in our country. Change is coming folks.

scanning through his comments

Ireland is now so terminally sick that vile corruption of every ilk and kind is flourishing, and this same force of corruption has become so cunning and professional, that it is wreaking untold havoc and misery upon innocent Irish people ,who are daily hauled before Irish courts on false trumped up perjured lies and charges !!!
    I speak from very bitter personal experience !!!

Fairly indicative of the comments he gets, seriously chaps, go to one of your anti corruption havens to live out the rest of your days, cuba, mexico, columbia, have fun.

• Advertisement

eldamo wrote: »
    according to ben himself

scanning through his comments

Fairly indicative of the comments he gets, seriously chaps, go to one of your anti corruption havens to live out the rest of your days, cuba, mexico, columbia, have fun.

why would he be talking to the securities and exchange commission in the US about banking "corruption" in this country? does he think they have jurisdiction?

why would he be talking to the securities and exchange commission in the US about banking "corruption" in this country? does he think they have jurisdiction?

I reckon he believes that we are so corrupt that they might launch a humanitarian invasion towards the end of regime change.

The only real question is whether Ben & King billy can work together as supreme leader and king respectively.

eldamo wrote: »
    I reckon he believes that we are so corrupt that they might launch a humanitarian invasion towards the end of regime change.

The only real question is whether Ben & King billy can work together as supreme leader and king respectively.

of course the real question is why would they bother talking to him. I can imagine the phonecall:

Secretary: Mr Clayton, I have a Ben Gilroy from Ireland who wishes to speak to you about banking corruption in Ireland
    Jay Clayton: Ben who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Probably bamboozled them by asking were they on their oath.

Thanks all. That gave me a right old chuckle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement