Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess it would significantly strengthen your case if you got the details of the other witness and they were willing to submit their version of events too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well done - key to this I assume is the footage.

I was in an accident recently where there was clear dangerous driving, I fell off the bike and was injured, and the driver kept going.

I know it was dangerous driving because the car behind stopped and was able to recount the exact details of what was happening.

Nonetheless, i'm not sure what to do with this, because there is not footage - do you report it?

You absolutely should because you were injured as a result of dangerous driving.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yesterday I received a witness summons for a date in September with the charge being "careless driving contrary to section 52(1)".
    will see how it goes anyway and will update here after the court date.
    Hopefully the judge doesn't find that the cyclist was at fault for some daft reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well done - key to this I assume is the footage.

I wouldn't say key but it certainly made it a lot easier. the entire collision and aftermath are captured (including me doing my best impression of the "fvcking hell" bit from Father Ted as it occurred). so there's no room for ambiguity, cyclist had a green light and the motorist just drove straight into her. tbh I'd be surprised if she contests it.
    amcalester wrote: »
    If the witness is willing to make a statement then definitely report it.

I fully agree, if you have a witness who is willing to make a statement you should absolutely proceed with it. it's obviously easier with footage but in this instance there are 2 witnesses with matching accounts which makes for a strong case.
    not knowing the exact details of the incident, it may even be that the Gardaí view the leaving the scene of the collision more seriously. in the case I'm witness for the Garda was very quick to ask whether the driver had stopped, offered her details etc. she did btw, the cyclist declined to take them, most likely because of her state of shock.

edit to say...I hope your injuries aren't too bad and that you're back in the saddle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

To the audi driver who nearly took me out at N4 junction 4a east bound yesterday morning. You do realize that my life was in your hands and gesticulating wildly at me after you cut me off at the slip road when I am travelling at ~50km/h will not wash the (potential) blood off your hands...

In other words cop on you G0bsh*t3. You had to slow down anyway on the slip road. I had taken the (bus) lane for a reason you know and was at the junction when you decided to cut in front of me. You knew I was there and could easily have slotted in behind me and hit the slip road at an appropriate speed rather then having to brake hard after you got there.

I can guarantee you that you saved 0 seconds on that maneuver and could easily have killed me which would have slowed you up even more (in your big big hurry to where ever you were going). F. F. S! take some responsibility for your actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

somewhere around 20 tons in a 3,5 ton area
    no rear license plate
    2 very close pass attempts in the previous 250 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

site_owner wrote: »

somewhere around 20 tons in a 3,5 ton area
    no rear license plate
    2 very close pass attempts in the previous 250 meters

licence plate is at the top right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Deleted

you have better eyes (or screens) than me, i cant even see the plate, never mind the numbers in the forward facing footage.
    i got the plate from the rear facing camera, which captured the rest of his shenanigans, including almost driving into a traffic island.

its been reported to traffic watch, although nothing ever comes of that in my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Should the reg number be posted without proof?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Mikenesson wrote: »
    Should the reg number be posted without proof?

Proof of what?

amcalester wrote: »
    Proof of what?

Proof of anything ?

Is it ok to just fire up reg numbers making allegations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Proof of anything ?

Is it ok to just fire up reg numbers making allegations?

Yes.

There's no personal identifying information in a licence plate.

Besides, the clip is fairly clear that the diver ran a red light.

Did he actually run the red light or was he too close to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know what the amber light is for, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did you even watch the video? :confused: The van went straight through a red light. They had plenty of warning from the AMBER light.

If you're too close to stop you keep going

I'm a cyclist myself i've no issue if he's wrong

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How many seconds notice do you need to slow down and stop when driving in a residential area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

What are you on about? Where does it say that in the rules of the road?
    If the Blue car in front had stopped and not run the red light themselves the truck would have ploughed into the back of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think what Mikenesson was trying to say was that stop unless it is unsafe to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that only applies to an amber though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

You must be trolling..
    What that really means is that if your going too fast to stop keep going.. mad ted

Edit: Did you watch the vid. The amber was on for 3-4 seconds.

You must be trolling..
    What that really means is that if your going too fast to stop keep going.. mad ted

Edit: Did you watch the vid. The amber was on for 3-4 seconds.

No I wasn't trolling

I realize now he jumped the red

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you're too close to stop, you're going too fast. Traffic lights are not a surprise. You need to plan for them to change. They change every minute or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

neris wrote: »

I know that junction and he had plenty of time to slow down. Was going to fast. My hgv instructor always said 100-150 meters away from a light off the accelerator prepare to stop and if it's green at 50 meters then back on the accelerator coz you'll clear an amber light
    WTF are you at posting personal info?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Zulu wrote: »
    WTF are you at posting personal info?

its public information off a govt website that any one can use

post above showing name and address of driver deleted pending mod discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'm on a motorbike commuting through Dublin every day so I see my fair share of near misses.

Serious question thought on the Drumcondra road inbound why do some cyclists choose to stay on the road rather than use the cycle path? I cycled that route myself for years and I always thought the cycle lane was pretty decent. (Outbound is a different story with so many pedestrians haha).
    I often see close passes here which are definitely the drivers faults

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I'm on a motorbike commuting through Dublin every day so I see my fair share of near misses.

Serious question thought on the Drumcondra road inbound why do some cyclists choose to stay on the road rather than use the cycle path? I cycled that route myself for years and I always thought the cycle lane was pretty decent. (Outbound is a different story with so many pedestrians haha).
    I often see close passes here which are definitely the drivers faults

For me, it's because you can't predict it'll definitely be free of wandering pedestrians and/or dogs and/or litter, glass, etc. And it dumps you out on the inside of a busy bus lane, where you're now overtaking busses on the left who are often about to pull in the stop ahead - a confusing situation and potentially dangerous.

Much simpler to stick to the lane and make sure the drivers are aware of you and generally they're not arseholes and let you continue on. When you suddenly appear on their inside it's difficult for them to judge the best manoeuvre.

• Advertisement

N4eonso.png

hope this clears it up, he was about 70 meters away when the light went amber. i was travelling about 22-24ish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement