Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cython wrote: »
    Not that I know of, and not sure of the context of the selectively quoted part of my post? Do you contend that the driver was too close to the cyclist(s) being overtaken (EDIT to add) by the fallen cyclist or something?
    The cyclist moved but drivers are constantly to be wary of cyclists having to move to avoid obstacles. The driver didn't anticipate this and left far too little room.
    Cyclist should have been more aware of traffic behind but the car was the one that made the choice to drive close to them. I completely blame the driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

site_owner wrote: »
    And if the car hadn't sped up to undertake moving traffic
    i don't see this here? there's two lanes there; the left one is the sensible one to be in anyway (the right hand lane has a filter for turning right so a motorist going straight on could get caught behind them if they stayed in the right lane).
    there's absolutely nothing in the video to suggest the driver 'sped up' or was specifically in that lane to overtake on the left.
    he was moving only fractionally faster than the car on his right, and (crude estimate) doing maybe 30 or 40km/h.
    the only issue i see with what the driver did was not leaving enough space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

0:05, Why did you keep going up the cycle lane and side of the car when you saw the car was moving into the cycle lane?
    The car was at fault but you put yourself at risk. :confused:
    Chiparus wrote: »

2 within 200 mt, first guy was surfing the net on his phone, 2nd......she says she did not see me and I believe her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

0:05, Why did you keep going up the cycle lane and side of the car when you saw the car was moving into the cycle lane?
    The car was at fault but you put yourself at risk. :confused:

Because I felt I could make it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You made it past on this occasion. It was a silly risk to take given that you had plenty of time to back off or slow down to avoid a possible collision.
    Because I felt I could make it through.

• Advertisement

You made it past on this occasion. It was a silly risk to take given that you had plenty of time to back off or slow down to avoid a possible collision.

I was doing 10kmph, I could have stopped in a split second, like I did with the second incident. If you look and listen, I stopped pedeling once he starts to cross the line, and slowed down.
    Cyclists deal with the net surfers all the time, they tend to slowly meander across lanes - sometimes you have to stop, sometimes it forces you onto the foot path.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If there is a message for cyclists it is to be extra vigilant especially where it comes to taxis and buses where people are driving for a living and where attention can sometimes get distracted,

Instead of giving cyclists the message to be careful, tell that to motorists, specifically taxi drivers? He didn't even look or proceed with any caution.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Instead of giving cyclists the message to be careful, tell that to motorists, specifically taxi drivers? He didn't even look or proceed with any caution.

Appears that this Taxi driver overtook a car waiting in the que to go straight so he could cut through the yellow box junction and swing a left towards Donnybrook village, while not indicating or looking... typical!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lest there's confusion, i think the cyclist is being quoted there, not the taxi driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Tenzor07 wrote: »

That article is seriously wanting.

Who is "he" ?

"One of them" and then "He"

So, Stuff then video. In stuff is "One of them said the taxi driver did all he could to help them after the crash."

Then video.

Then Quote. "If there is a message for cyclists it is to be extra vigilant especially where it comes to taxis and buses where people are driving for a living and where attention can sometimes get distracted," he told Independent.ie

I don't think "he" was the cyclist. But they want you to think that.

"He added that the matter would not be going any further as there was no lasting injuries and any damage to the bikes had been covered."

The bikes, not his bike.

I thought I was done with this crap from nordie land. Seems not.

lest there's confusion, i think the cyclist is being quoted there, not the taxi driver.

Do you believe that?

to be fair, i was following the logic of the flow of the article.
    if the journalist was quoting the taxi driver, they're being misleading or amateurish.

and yes, that's nothing to do with a driver being distracted, that's a driver cutting past stationary traffic (into the oncoming lane) and swinging a left. it's bad driving full stop, not distraction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

DaveyDave wrote: »

Maybe everyone, cyclists and motorists, should take the message on board...

if the journalist was quoting the taxi driver, they're being misleading or amateurish.

They may be quoting the driver of the vehicle with the dash cam.

They may be quoting the driver of the vehicle with the dash cam.
    if so, they've muddied the waters even further.

anyway, this is not a news story. cyclists relatively uninjured in collision with taxi is not news, it's just a chance to get people to perve at dashcam footage and drive clicks.

not that i'm averse to watching dashcam compilations myself, to be fair.

if so, they've muddied the waters even further.

anyway, this is not a news story. cyclists relatively uninjured in collision with taxi is not news, it's just a chance to get people to perve at dashcam footage and drive clicks.

not that i'm averse to watching dashcam compilations myself, to be fair.

Again We have no evidence the cyclists were uninjured.

ewc78 wrote: »
    Maybe everyone, cyclists and motorists, should take the message on board...
    you don't see the irony though? cyclists advised to watch out for stupid drivers.
    not stupid drivers advised not to be stupid. shift the burden of safety onto people who shouldn't be the ones bearing that burden.

if it was a video of a cyclist being an idiot, the 'cyclists advised to...' message might be pertinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Misleading. Though as you have said, as was wanted from you, and the majority. Job done!

It was wrote in that manner, aka a smoke and mirrors scenario. You saw what they wanted you to see. They do it quite a lot with SF and politics. Not that we all want to go there.

• Advertisement

Its like the RSA advice to cyclists to obey the ROTR to gain drivers "respect"

"Always obey the Rules of the Road. Other road users will respect you more if you respect the rules."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

you don't see the irony though? cyclists advised to watch out for stupid drivers.
    not stupid drivers advised not to be stupid. shift the burden of safety onto people who shouldn't be the ones bearing that burden.

if it was a video of a cyclist being an idiot, the 'cyclists advised to...' message might be pertinent.
    I think everyone needs to look out for their own safety as well as be mindful of others.
    If I'm driving or cycling I always treat everyone else the same and try to be mindful of all road users but I also think everyone else is a threat to my safety so I always watch out for stupid drivers and also stupid cyclists and pedestrians etc etc
    My own safety is my concern and I don't leave it in the hands of someone else who might not be as worried about my safety as I am. So yes I do think cyclists should be advised to watch out for stupid drivers.

At least folks weren't slow to go check on them.

It was wrote in that manner, aka a smoke and mirrors scenario. You saw what they wanted you to see. They do it quite a lot with SF and politics. Not that we all want to go there.
    i would favour the 'never mistake for malice what is easier to attribute to incompetency'. it's not like they had an editorial meeting on how to spin a video of a collision into an anti-cycling message. it was probably just given to a sub to lash up online.
    if anything, i think the most likely source of invention in the article was the notion that the quotes have any basis in reality. probably invented all round, which is why the author was not keeping track of who actually said what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There was an incident at Annesley Bridge this morning just before the North Strand fire station. It looked like a car took the left to East Wall Road and collided with a bike. Nobody seemed badly injured but there was a large crowd of cyclists around the car in question with 2 or 3 guys engaging with the driver. Anybody see what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was cycling by the motor tax office in Smithfield when this big, white jeep swerved to overtake a car in another land and he just clipped me. What was stupid about this was I ended up passing him out a minute later and plonking myself in front of to wait for the lights. Why do people bother taking a risk like that?

Sorry about the quality :

Cyclist gets a soaking from front seat passenger , not sure if it is a near miss, anyway I caught up with the driver, she explained her son was " autism spectrum" and had chastised him, seems to me she slowed to allow the soaking.

Could not find the cyclist after to see did he want to complain to the guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpFRlUSk1U8&frags=pl%2Cwn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry about the quality :

Cyclist gets a soaking from front seat passenger , not sure if it is a near miss, anyway I caught up with the driver, she explained her son was " autism spectrum" and had chastised him, seems to me she slowed to allow the soaking.

Could not find the cyclist after to see did he want to complain to the guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpFRlUSk1U8&frags=pl%2Cwn

People have been prosecuted for that in the UK. Did you see how it was done - bottle or water pistol or what? How old was the son?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement