Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

post above showing name and address of driver deleted pending mod discussion

Reviewed. There is no way to know if the truck was being driven by the person on that list. Going forward, if you have a video, there is no issue with putting it up, licence plates are on public display. You cannot put up personal details of the driver for a variety of reasons. Any issues, via PM please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

If you're too close to stop, you're going too fast. Traffic lights are not a surprise. You need to plan for them to change. They change every minute or so.

I wrote about a cyclist who went straight through a red light on Sunday evening and would have clattered into me if I hadn't stopped in the middle of the road. The light was red when he was 20 metres away from it. He just laughed when I shouted at him.

Could you not have posted the above then? Instead you went on about joggers running in cycle lanes which had nothing to do with my post. Apparently you were only putting things "in context".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Martin567 wrote: »
    I wrote about a cyclist who went straight through a red light on Sunday evening and would have clattered into me if I hadn't stopped in the middle of the road. The light was red when he was 20 metres away from it. He just laughed when I shouted at him.

Could you not have posted the above then? Instead you went on about joggers running in cycle lanes which had nothing to do with my post. Apparently you were only putting things "in context".

Cyclists should stop at red lights. Cars should also stop at red lights. The perception is that only cyclists break red lights... Which we know is not the case. Dickheads break red lights. Dickheads on bikes and dickheads in cars. Neither should be defended.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Excuse me, but why would you expect MY posts to suit YOUR agenda? If you want to suit YOUR agenda, then YOU make YOUR posts. I'll do MY posts as suit ME, not as suit YOU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

If you're too close to stop, you're going too fast. Traffic lights are not a surprise. You need to plan for them to change. They change every minute or so.

Well said. A bit hypocritical of him alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Mikenesson wrote: »
    Did he actually run the red light or was he too close to stop?

You must stop on amber unless it is unsafe to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

<Mod Voice>

None of ye are covering yourselves in glory here. Quit the bickering and sniping and keep it on topic and civil. Far too many things getting reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Excuse me, but why would you expect MY posts to suit YOUR agenda? If you want to suit YOUR agenda, then YOU make YOUR posts. I'll do MY posts as suit ME, not as suit YOU.

Thats's told me anyway!

Nice talking to you. You seem like a lovely fellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I don't frequent this forum much. I cycle to work daily and was hit by a car today (first time ever in 30 years of cycling). The car was turning left onto the main road I was on (from an estate) without stopping and hit me side on. Knocked me off the bike. My left ankle is a bit sore and has a small bruise, otherwise I was just shaken. Bit of a shock as this has never happened to me before. I was wearing helmet, luminous yellow jacket and it was 7am, so nice and bright. Driver just wasn't looking.

The car stopped, reversed back and driver asked if I was okay, offered me a lift or some water (?). I said no and decided to cycle on after I got over the shock (further 9km to work). Should I contact the Gardai over this? My ankle and foot are a bit sore, but I don't think anything's broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I don't frequent this forum much. I cycle to work daily and was hit by a car today (first time ever in 30 years of cycling). The car was turning left onto the main road I was on (from an estate) without stopping and hit me side on. Knocked me off the bike. My left ankle is a bit sore and has a small bruise, otherwise I was just shaken. Bit of a shock as this has never happened to me before. I was wearing helmet, luminous yellow jacket and it was 7am, so nice and bright. Driver just wasn't looking.

The car stopped, reversed back and driver asked if I was okay, offered me a lift or some water (?). I said no and decided to cycle on after I got over the shock (further 9km to work). Should I contact the Gardai over this? My ankle and foot are a bit sore, but I don't think anything's broken.

Make an appointment to see the doctor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I would. Did you get her details?

And I'd get the bike checked over as well for any damage and send her the bill.

You should probably get the ankle looked at too.

I remembered to get the reg no. before I cycled off.

Garda station in my town doesn't open until 10am so I'll give them a call then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Something similar happened to me recently. Ankle grazed / bruised / sore but I thought it would die down. I left it a month and its still sore, went to VHI swiftcare and got an x-ray and consult and possible chipped bone and definite soft tissue damage. Doctor said I will definitely need physio to avoid future problems.

Long story short, get a medical report from your Doctor and get onto PIAB and register a claim - that's what its there for. You need to protect yourself here, this is not claim culture stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

It sounds like you left the scene before the driver, but if that wasn't the case, that's a big no-no as they are obliged to wait for a reasonable time and give you their details. In any case, you are definitely entitled to be compensated for any damage or injuries. So, you should definitely call the gardai to get in contact with the driver. It's possible of course they may have reported the incident already.

The gardai should be notified, for future reference, at the time of the incident. It sounds quite civil, and the driver did not do a runner.

The most important thing, all else aside, is to get yourself checked over by a doctor, it might be nothing more than aches and pains for a few weeks but it could be slightly worse and the longer you leave it, the worse it could be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Always best to take a good 10 minutes just sitting to get over the adrenaline rush. You will be a lot clearer in your own mind as to your condition then. And I'd get the drivers details in that time also. You never feel these things until much later unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

same junction, this time the vehicle behind was leaving me plenty of space, but a car on the opposite side of the road saw that as the opportunity to dive across the junction.

luckily he did see me and slowed down to adjust his trajectory, but, i guess, realizing he would be blocking the lane for the traffic behind, he never actually stopped and missed my rear wheel by a few feet.

pLvtwt4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

that screenshot from the rear facing camera is pretty shocking tbf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd hope that driver got a proper wake up call when/if s/he realised there were 2 kids there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd hope that driver got a proper wake up call when/if s/he realised there were 2 kids there.

Probably not, it's the cyclists fault for not driving a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Weepsie wrote: »

I am sure the driver rationalised it as... "silly cyclist, putting their kids in risk like that. They really should be more careful"

mloc123 wrote: »
    I am sure the driver rationalised it as... "silly cyclist, putting their kids in risk like that. They really should be more careful"

i dont think it even registered, just looked annoyed/surprised/confused that i was blocking him from zipping across the junction.

that screenshot from the rear facing camera is pretty shocking tbf.

i cant do the face tracking stuff to blur them out so cant post the moving video, but its worse in motion. the "f**k sake" from me was becuase he accelerated to get across after slowing down to avoid me, and i wasnt sure if he was giving the trailer enough room.

plodder wrote: »

It sounds like you left the scene before the driver, but if that wasn't the case, that's a big no-no as they are obliged to wait for a reasonable time and give you their details. In any case, you are definitely entitled to be compensated for any damage or injuries. So, you should definitely call the gardai to get in contact with the driver. It's possible of course they may have reported the incident already.
    Okay. First time in this position, so not sure what I should have done. I just noted the car's reg no. I didn't think or getting details off the driver (they never actually got out of the car). That was it. I was able to continue on the bike, but ankle feels a bit sore (nothing major). Gards asked me to call in to the station make a statement. I just want to check that there's no damage to me or the bike.

site_owner wrote: »
    i cant do the face tracking stuff to blur them out so cant post the moving video, but its worse in motion. the "f**k sake" from me was becuase he accelerated to get across after slowing down to avoid me, and i wasnt sure if he was giving the trailer enough room.

MOD VOICE: There is nothing wrong with posting the video so long as you don't make any accusations outside what can be seen in the video. eg post the video and say this is what happened here, fine. Post the video and claim the driver subsequently (or prior to coming on the video) battered a small child with a broom handle at the next zebra crossing, without it being on video, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

site_owner wrote: »

the angriest I've ever gotten on a bike was when someone in a van nearly hit my trailer with my son in it. decent stretch of road, loads of room, nobody coming against him and he still blasted by with no room to spare. I was physically shaking with anger afterwards and now regret that I didn't report him, even if nothing would have been done about it.
    I didn't use the cameras when I had the trailer out prior to that as I always found that people gave me loads of room, I always use them now. tbf though I only ever have the trailer out at weekends so don't face that additional level of madness that you do in midweek at busy times.

edit: CramCycle, I read it that he didn't want his kids faces displayed?

edit: CramCycle, I read it that he didn't want his kids faces displayed?

Apologies, that makes a huge amount more sense. Time for coffee me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Always best to take a good 10 minutes just sitting to get over the adrenaline rush. You will be a lot clearer in your own mind as to your condition then. And I'd get the drivers details in that time also. You never feel these things until much later unfortunately.

Good advice that. I'm not a big believer in claim culture but you shouldnt be out of pocket in terms of bike damage / body damage /time off work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Mikenesson wrote: »
    You're very unlucky

Just don't fire up the reg number today

Why not? It's public information and it's clearly visible 6 seconds in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement