Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

My son witnessed an incident last saturday in Dublin city centre where a cyclist crossed a lane straight in front of a van. Unfortunately for the cyclist it was a garda van and they caught up with him and arrested him.

I walk every day in Dublin City centre and would love to see a greater presence of gardai to deal with the continual breaking of the rules of the road by drivers and cyclists. It's not just a cyclist or driver thing. Cyclists break many lights but generally do it cogniscant of the traffic and, while annoying, I think the drivers speeding is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

dixiefly wrote: »
    My son witnessed an incident last saturday in Dublin city centre where a cyclist crossed a lane straight in front of a van. Unfortunately for the cyclist it was a garda van and they caught up with him and arrested him.

I walk every day in Dublin City centre and would love to see a greater presence of gardai to deal with the continual breaking of the rules of the road by drivers and cyclists. It's not just a cyclist or driver thing. Cyclists break many lights but generally do it cogniscant of the traffic and, while annoying, I think the drivers speeding is worse.

I think everyone here will agree with that general sentiment, lack of enforcement of any of the ROTR is a huge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

site_owner wrote: »
    i cant do the face tracking stuff to blur them out so cant post the moving video, but its worse in motion.
    Lightworks is a great video editor if you want to do that kind of thing. Very easy to apply a moving motion blur. Free for exporting up to 720P video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I think everyone here will agree with that general sentiment, lack of enforcement of any of the ROTR is a huge issue.

It must also be noted again that there are dicks everywhere, in cars and on bikes.

It's all about perspective. I'd like to put some of those angry motorists on a bike on the Quays in Dublin around five in the evening with buses, cars and cyclists going everywhere. It can be hair raising stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Okay. First time in this position, so not sure what I should have done. I just noted the car's reg no. I didn't think or getting details off the driver (they never actually got out of the car). That was it. I was able to continue on the bike, but ankle feels a bit sore (nothing major). Gards asked me to call in to the station make a statement. I just want to check that there's no damage to me or the bike.
    That's a bit crap that they didn't even get out of the car. I'd get the ankle checked out, and I'd be expecting the driver to pay for it. Whatever about the bike, it could be a week or two before you know you are okay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i usually avoid swearing at motorists, but on the way home today, inbound on the rock road approaching the bottom of trimleston avenue; was roughly level with the back of a white van who was in the right lane. anyway, he decided to swerve sharply into the left lane, i think to avoid some slower moving traffic in front of him, and went about a foot into the cycle lane in the process. i had to slam on - briefly thought he was actually turning left and anger got the better of me and i shouted '****ING ASSHOLE', but assumed he hadn't heard what with me braking and him being about 5m or 10m in front by the time i got that out.

anyway, he pulled in about 100m further up and was giving me a very scorpy look so i just shouted 'ASSHOLE' at him again and kept going. i reckon he didn't know i was there until i shouted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cyclist down on glasnevin avenue, lots of people around and the cyclist down and on his side in the lifesaver position.

Didn't see what happened or if a car had been involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's just around the corner from me - hope he's OK.

is being in the lifesaver position a good sign? i'd assume if there was any concern about head or spinal injury, anyone ringing 999 would be told not to move them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

It was just at the turn to Beneavin school. Hopefully its a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

2 within 200 mt, first guy was surfing the net on his phone, 2nd......she says she did not see me and I believe her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Chiparus wrote: »
    ...she says she did not see me and I believe her.

Yeah, it's hard to see stuff when you don't look :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i cant do the face tracking stuff to blur them out so cant post the moving video, but its worse in motion. the "f**k sake" from me was becuase he accelerated to get across after slowing down to avoid me, and i wasnt sure if he was giving the trailer enough room.
    YouTube can do face blurring in the Enhancements section

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

near the Point this afternoon...apologies for the profanity...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Chiparus wrote: »

2 within 200 mt, first guy was surfing the net on his phone, 2nd......she says she did not see me and I believe her.

I see this scenario all the time. It's a dangerous one for cyclists. I'd wonder if the bus waved her through? Even the bus leaving a gap just means that cars pulling through that gap are very unlikely to check for the likes of us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »

Two muppets at fault there IMO, while the car was too close, that cyclist moved out into the driving lane to overtake without indicating or even looking. The car is still in the wrong as if I were driving, I wouldn't have went for the overtake of the cyclist on the inside there but the cyclist gave himself no chance with the merge..

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

ED E wrote: »

the way that car was driving is shocking. look at how fast it moves to undertake the car in the outside lane.

people in cars need to have regard for cyclists, this was completely avoidable.
    the MDPL needs to come in now

the way that car was driving is shocking. look at how fast it moves to undertake the car in the outside lane.
    the car does not appear to leave the lane. the cyclist *does* leave the cycle lane - you can see they enter the junction on the outside of the yellow box, but have visibly moved into it - and into the lane the car is in - without having done a shoulder check.

the car does not appear to leave the lane. the cyclist *does* leave the cycle lane - you can see they enter the junction on the outside of the yellow box, but have visibly moved into it - and into the lane the car is in - without having done a shoulder check.

Naive on the part of the cyclist but the car was still the one overtaking. A dashed cycle lane is nothing so the cyclist was still in a part of the same lane as he was entering the junction.

naive is one way of putting it. he deliberately pulled out in the lane going through a busy junction without a look or a signal to the driver behind. very poor roadcraft.

if the cyclist had to swerve to avoid something in an emergency, it'd be another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

If you look at the cyclist relative to the yellow line of the junction box, that car was never in a position to safely pass that cyclist. The cyclist was ahead and nearly on the line, the car was nothing more but half a foot the other side of the line and behind the cyclist.

The cyclist probably moved about a foot to the right, which was all that was required to be clipped.

Blame is with the driver all day long here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Didn't look like the driver stopped?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Didn't look like the driver stopped?

They mentioned in the comments they did stop.

theres only one lane. they are sharing it.
    cyclist had to room to move out, car did not have room to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

theres only one lane. they are sharing it.
    cyclist had to room to move out, car did not have room to overtake.

And yet the car was well away from the line of other cyclists...... As Cram said, two people at fault, cyclist failed to hold their line through the junction and didn't look/signal ahead of their overtake, with the net result that the driver squeezed them to the point of colliding. Had the cyclist stayed in line with the cyclists ahead of them, the car had loads of space.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cython wrote: »
    Had the cyclist stayed in line with the cyclists ahead of them, the car had loads of space.
    Did the 1m minimum passing distance become law recently?

Not that I know of, and not sure of the context of the selectively quoted part of my post? Do you contend that the driver was too close to the cyclist(s) being overtaken (EDIT to add) by the fallen cyclist or something?

cython wrote: »
    And yet the car was well away from the line of other cyclists...... As Cram said, two people at fault, cyclist failed to hold their line through the junction and didn't look/signal ahead of their overtake, with the net result that the driver squeezed them to the point of colliding. Had the cyclist stayed in line with the cyclists ahead of them, the car had loads of space.

And if the car hadn't sped up to undertake moving traffic with no care for the cyclists who could just have eaislly fallen it been avoiding a pothole...

It's madness that cyclists are defending this driving and blaming the victim.

And if the car hadn't sped up to undertake moving traffic with no care for the cyclists who could just have eaislly fallen it been avoiding a pothole...

It's madness that cyclists are defending this driving and blaming the victim.

I'm blaming both of them, if you read and comprehend my post fully - if you want to go down that route, to me it's mad that people are trying to claim that the cyclist has absolutely no culpability. Such a view is blinkered in the extreme.

• Advertisement

Its gathering dust on his desk despite his claims that its with the AG.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement