Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think the Tweet is actually to say there are delays for both Coaches and Cyclists.
    yeah, the lack of punctuation makes it vague:

Collision on Dame st at trinityt st outbound - Coach and cyclist. delays to both outbound and inbound, please drive with care.
    Collision on Dame st at trinityt st outbound. Coach and cyclist delays to both outbound and inbound; please drive with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I've never been slow in criticising Bus Eireann here and in particular the 133 route. But in my defence I'll always give the shout out when it's merited too. Yesterday morning I came northbound into Newtownmountkennedy and sensed something behind me. Glance over shoulder, see the BE livery and wait for the inevitable. But he stayed where he was, no histrionics or anything like that. An overtake opportunity came up and still he remained there. I knew there was a bus stop coming up but it was still a bit away. Surely not... but that's exactly what he was doing:

So after giving him a salute off I went an inevitably he caught me again and overtook - absolute textbook and then some. He got yet another acknowledgement for his roadcraft:

The front view show that there was also another guy in front of me:

The irony in all this is that when he next stopped, at the hotel in Newtown, two cars lined up behind him like sheep. Nothing approaching so I went past them. BOTH of them started to move into my path without looking.

Anyone reading this knows that any one incident can make or break a day on the bike. Well done that man for making mine!!

(Footage passed to BE with request that driver be notified)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And when you look at the time on your video, it was 40 seconds from when you start showing recording to when he pulls into bus stop. Hardly a huge hold up for him...things like that need to be sent to the inpatient drivers to show how little time they would actually be stuck behind you since they could have overtaken earlier anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

And when you look at the time on your video, it was 40 seconds from when you start showing recording to when he pulls into bus stop. Hardly a huge hold up for him...things like that need to be sent to the inpatient drivers to show how little time they would actually be stuck behind you since they could have overtaken earlier anyway.

TBH he was actually there for 1m17s but I cut it to simplyshow the manouvre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Here's one from 2 years ago. I used to commute from Lucan to Finglas. Southbound into the city on the Finglas Road was one of the dodgiest routes I've ever taken. Before the whole road was repaved it had lots of large potholes and hidden dips. It was probably one of the worst quality roads I've ever cycled on. Add to that easily doing 50kph, 60kph on a good day. Recipe for disaster with close passes from taxis and people cutting me off to make a left turn. Plenty of pricks going down the bus lanes too leaving absolutely no room. You'd think a cyclist doing more or less the speed limit would be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does narrowly missing repeatedly slamming a smug Lexus driver's head into his steering wheel through extreme self restraint constitute a near miss for the purposes of this thread?

I was coming up Upper Erne St on a Dublin Bike last week on the way to a meeting. I moved out to the right to position myself for a right turn onto Fenian St. As I approached the junction, my spidey senses tingled that a Lexus coming up on my left was just a bit too close for comfort, so I kept a close eye on him. After we had both stopped, I noticed that he was stuck into his phone, checking Facebook and other apps while stopped at the lights. I didn't see if he was using the phone while he was actually driving, but I have my suspicions.

I kept an eye on him, and he kept his eyes on the phone for a good while, before putting it down on the console. He didn't notice me watching him at all at all. A few seconds later, he called me with a 'Hey' or something. When I turned, he had the window down. I could see he was wearing a golf jumper, which put me on edge before he even opened his mouth.

'Forgot your helmet' he asked, with a smug half grin looking up at me. So he was the one who was breaking the law, using his phone while in charge of the vehicle, and he has the nerve to try to lecture me about not wearing a helmet, which of course is not a legal requirement. I tore into the smug git, without swearing, pointing out the ridiculous nature of his position given his previous illegal action. The best he could respond with was 'I was making a comment on you'. He moved off to continue on straight to Holles St, and hunched over the wheel, he blurted out 'gob****e' when he was far enough away to ensure I wasn't going to test his airbag release impact sensitivity.

The arrogance of the self-entitled middle-aged white 'executive car' driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭The Kop

You were on edge because he was wearing a Golf jumper lol.
    I've never heard such nonsense. I doubt you'd be happy if someone made such a ridiculous generalisation about someone wearing cycling clothing.
    I'd go as far as saying I think you're making that story up.
    You seem to be just using it to have a go at people who wear golf jumpers and drive expensive cars. I don't play Golf or drive a nice Lexus (or any fancy brand) btw before you accuse me of such. I'm also a pretty keen cyclist.
    The whole post reads like someone who has a massive chip on their shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Almost run over this evening by a cyclist while crossing (on a green man) at the traffic lights in Terenure. We had to stop in the middle of the road while he ploughed on at full speed.

I shouted after him about the green light. He just looked back over his shoulder, shouted "I know, Man!" and laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Martin567 wrote: »
    Almost run over this evening by a cyclist while crossing (on a green man) at the traffic lights in Terenure. We had to stop in the middle of the road while he ploughed on at full speed.

I shouted after him about the green light. He just looked back over his shoulder, shouted "I know, Man!" and laughed.
    Sounds like an absolute cnut alright. You'll not get anyone sticking up for him in here anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

A regular occurrence, see it happen all the time when I'm out running .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

A van was overtaking two cars today and I was coming the opposite direction, he didn't see me for ages but when he did he in fairness went in between the two cars, waved at me and flashed his hazards in apologies to the car he went in front of.

ewc78 wrote: »

As regular as you see joggers jogging in bike lanes, or in the near-side of the road (where cyclists are generally supposed to be)?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kind of a near miss but some idiot was out cycling on the M4 hard shoulder between J6 and J5 (city-bound) just before 9am.
    He had cycling gear on but I noticed that he wasn't wesring a helmet, not that it would be much use if he got hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Kind of a near miss but some idiot was out cycling on the M4 hard shoulder between J6 and J5 (city-bound) just before 9am.
    He had cycling gear on but I noticed that he wasn't wesring a helmet, not that it would be much use if he got hit!

As in most instances where cars hit cyclists. Metal/asphalt > styrofoam

Btw, my post is not excusing him for cycling on a motorway before any of our solely 4 wheel friends decide to hop on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he wasn't wesring a helmet, not that it would be much use if he got hit!
    i think you've managed to nail the issue with bike helmets right there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

As regular as you see joggers jogging in bike lanes, or in the near-side of the road (where cyclists are generally supposed to be)?
    WTF? Why are you so bloody defensive? I wasn't having a go at anyone I was just commenting on another post.
    I cycle also btw.
    And the fact that runners/joggers do what you say doesn't change the fact that I see people cycling through pedestrian crossings on a regular basis. Why you have to bring runners into it is very strange to be honest.
    When someone tries to condone someones behaviour by saying "oh but these other people do this too.." they've already lost the argument imo. Two wrongs don't make a right buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Did you look both ways before crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Mikenesson wrote: »
    Did you look both ways before crossing

Luckily, I did.

If I hadn't, he would have hit me while pedalling at full speed. The light was red for him when he was still 20m away from it.

He thought it was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

Has anybody seen that video doing the rounds where a man is deliberately pushed off his bike by guys passing in a car. Absolute thugs. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but it really angered me

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

smurph6 wrote: »
    Has anybody seen that video doing the rounds where a man is deliberately pushed off his bike by guys passing in a car. Absolute thugs. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but it really angered me

Yeah not really sure I like how viral it has gone, could give some idiots ideas. Shower of cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Jaysus thats scary. Hope that cyclist is ok? There are no words for that shower...

Yeah not really sure I like how viral it has gone, could give some idiots ideas. Shower of cnuts
    It already has given idiots ideas. There is a post here about someone trying to do the same thing on Sally's Gap recently.

WTF? Why are you so bloody defensive? I wasn't having a go at anyone I was just commenting on another post.
    I cycle also btw.
    And the fact that runners/joggers do what you say doesn't change the fact that I see people cycling through pedestrian crossings on a regular basis. Why you have to bring runners into it is very strange to be honest.
    When someone tries to condone someones behaviour by saying "oh but these other people do this too.." they've already lost the argument imo. Two wrongs don't make a right buddy.
    No defensiveness and no condoning from me - just some context on the big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Clown tried to do it to me between baldoyle & portmarnock a couple of months back.

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Jaysus thats scary. Hope that cyclist is ok? There are no words for that shower...
    i am fairly certain that video dates from last year. i saw it (or one very similar) quite a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

No defensiveness and no condoning from me - just some context on the big picture.

It did come across as quite defensive tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

i am fairly certain that video dates from last year. i saw it (or one very similar) quite a while ago.

According to this reddit post about it, it happened in 2013 is Leicestershire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The world is ending, I had an Aircoach sit behind me for ages, to the point I actually just peeled off and let him overtake as I was so confused why I was not getting skimmed. I gave him the thumbs up later but it was disconcerting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

CramCycle wrote: »
    The world is ending, I had an Aircoach sit behind me for ages, to the point I actually just peeled off and let him overtake as I was so confused why I was not getting skimmed. I gave him the thumbs up later but it was disconcerting.

I snorted while reading that :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement