Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

According to this reddit post about it, it happened in 2013 is Leicestershire

Saw that too but I think it might be a different video. Camera angles are not the same and the cyclist gear differs too if you look closely.
    Absolute scumbag behaviour though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

smurph6 wrote: »
    Saw that too but I think it might be a different video. Camera angles are not the same and the cyclist gear differs too if you look closely.

Could be the same lads, they are reported to have done it at least four times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

smurph6 wrote: »

Pusher wearing a blue shirt in both videos, cyclist on a black bike, white bidon, blue helmet, navy jersey, blue shorts!! Even the pusher puts his left arm up behind his head at the same level/position in both videos. Too many coincidences :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

Pusher wearing a blue shirt in both videos, cyclist on a black bike, white bidon, blue helmet, navy jersey, blue shorts!! Even the pusher puts his left arm up behind his head at the same level/position in both videos. Too many coincidences :rolleyes:

Whoops sorry. I was talking about this video

https://twitter.com/mbwebster64/status/975754748237361153?s=19

The Leicestershire one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Apparently it was a gang of lads going around the area doing this at the time (2013) so wouldn't be surprised if there's a few other videos floating around somewhere.

Shocking carry on though. What if there was a post or small tree stump hidden in the bushes these lads fell in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Unfortunately not a near miss today for someone, hopefully injuries aren't too severe: http://www.thejournal.ie/cyclist-knocked-down-dublin-city-centre-4103832-Jul2018/

* Standard disclaimer for Journal articles of avoiding the comments section applies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

CramCycle wrote: »
    The world is ending, I had an Aircoach sit behind me for ages, to the point I actually just peeled off and let him overtake as I was so confused why I was not getting skimmed. I gave him the thumbs up later but it was disconcerting.

Isn't it weird to find yourself thanking a driver for not being a total ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

This is the one I remember from Ireland in 2015. Posted to Facebook by someone called Eoin Maughan. You can hear the pusher saying "Right boys: This is the new challenge here."

Video:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/watch-the-shocking-moment-when-a-passenger-in-a-moving-car-pushes-a-cyclist-off-his-bike-10419688.html

More info:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cyclist-pushed-off-bike-by-man-in-passing-car-344852.html

From the second link:
    The video was posted to Facebook last Saturday by Eoin Maughan, along with the caption, “This is the new challenge boys”. It was shared over 8,000 times on the social media site before it was removed yesterday.

A number of social media users and forum contributors claimed Facebook had initially said the video did not violate its policies when they reported the footage to the social network.

Posting on his Facebook page, Mr Maughan said it was not him in the video. He subsequently described those who were critical of the incident and who had reported the video as “sad c**ts”.

“Video got removed some crack while it lasted,” he wrote. “Just for badness I’m going to make a video where I hang out the window with a baseball bat and destroy someone.”

Animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

cython wrote: »
    Unfortunately not a near miss today for someone, hopefully injuries aren't too severe: http://www.thejournal.ie/cyclist-knocked-down-dublin-city-centre-4103832-Jul2018/

* Standard disclaimer for Journal articles of avoiding the comments section applies

Nightmare of a stretch, never a good sign to hear the road closed for so long afterwards, hoping injuries aren't too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cython wrote: »

comments section is currently unusually benign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

comments section is currently unusually benign.

Give it time, it should take a dive soon enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

This involves a pet peeve of mine with other cyclists, someone accelerating hard as you go to overtake them. Cycling to work this morning through the park, I catch up with him halfway between the Aras and the Zoo. Despite going at quite a leisurely pace, I am traveling quicker than he is. As he is on the right-hand side of the cycle lane and not traveling in a straight line, I slow and let him know that I’m there. He pulls over to the left-hand side and I pull alongside to overtake. As soon as I do, he accelerates hard and swerves over to the right side again nearly running me off the path. I slow again and he sprints off at about 10km an hour quicker than he was before he knew I was there. Bizarre.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

gaybeer wrote: »
    This involves a pet peeve of mine with other cyclists, someone accelerating hard as you go to overtake them. Cycling to work this morning through the park, I catch up with him halfway between the Aras and the Zoo. Despite going at quite a leisurely pace, I am traveling quicker than he is. As he is on the right-hand side of the cycle lane and not traveling in a straight line, I slow and let him know that I’m there. He pulls over to the left-hand side and I pull alongside to overtake. As soon as I do, he accelerates hard and swerves over to the right side again nearly running me off the path. I slow again and he sprints off at about 10km an hour quicker than he was before he knew I was there. Bizarre.

You get the same stuff when driving. Let them off I say. No use even filtering behind given how erratic they are. I've had this happen a couple of times on the bike. Tried to pass a wobbly cyclist and when I do they take off... only to run out of puff about 500m down the track. Dopes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gaybeer wrote: »
    As soon as I do, he accelerates hard and swerves over to the right side again nearly running me off the path. I slow again and he sprints off at about 10km an hour quicker than he was before he knew I was there. Bizarre.
    he's obviously training. help him train by repeating your encouragement repeatedly. soon he will be fit enough that you won't be able to catch up with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You get the same stuff when driving. Let them off I say. No use even filtering behind given how erratic they are. I've had this happen a couple of times on the bike. Tried to pass a wobbly cyclist and when I do they take off... only to run out of puff about 500m down the track. Dopes.

I tend to stay behind them until they run out of puff and then almost freewheel past them.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

Pretty shaken after today's act of stupidity. On the cycle path on the N11 where the slip road by Fosterbrook enters. Green light, but a motorcyclist decided that he didn't want to wait to enter the road, so snuck by just after I passed. Clipped the back wheel but I stayed upright.

I yelled. He looked back, revved his engine and sped off. I even looked back to make sure I hadn't misread the lights, but no, still green on the N11. Didn't get the reg, but wish I had. Some don't deserve to be on the roads. As little as I like them I get dangerous overtakes to some extent (lack of attention or whatever else), but this was so blatantly ignorant and obnoxious. Can't not have known what he was doing.

Nicely, another motorcyclist stopped and asked me if I was alright. One nice one makes up for the **** I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had a reverse punishment pass in the shared cycle / bus lane leading from O’connell bridge to parliament street bridge the other evening. Some spa in a taxi thought it’d be cool to undertake me, passing to my left at speed (well in excess of the 30kph limit), then cut back in front of me again to avoid the parked bus. The manoeuvre is becoming all too common on that stretch. Second or third time it’s happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Audi driver at Harold’s Cross this evening honking like a lunatic at some old bloke trying to get into the lane to go right at the park. He was so close to him I was sure he’d hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TheJak01 wrote: »
    Pretty shaken after today's act of stupidity. On the cycle path on the N11 where the slip road by Fosterbrook enters. Green light, but a motorcyclist decided that he didn't want to wait to enter the road, so snuck by just after I passed. Clipped the back wheel but I stayed upright.

I yelled. He looked back, revved his engine and sped off. I even looked back to make sure I hadn't misread the lights, but no, still green on the N11. Didn't get the reg, but wish I had. Some don't deserve to be on the roads. As little as I like them I get dangerous overtakes to some extent (lack of attention or whatever else), but this was so blatantly ignorant and obnoxious. Can't not have known what he was doing.

Nicely, another motorcyclist stopped and asked me if I was alright. One nice one makes up for the **** I suppose.

Camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Posted a few months ago about a close pass by a truck near the back of the airport and reporting the driver to Finglas GS after he verbally abused me. The Garda was very helpful and promised to get back to me after she spoke with the driver and his employer. I had nearly given up on it but received a call on Saturday informing me that she had apologies to pass on to me from the company owner and, less enthusiastically, the driver. The employer stated that the incident is noted on the driver's file and, if anything similar happens again, he will be dismissed.

I asked her if there would be a record of my complaint on the Garda system if the driver was involved in an accident. She assured me that it was recorded the day I reported it and would be taken into account if he was reported for any dangerous driving anywhere in the country. She stressed that it was very important for cyclists to report incidents such as mine and that it would be a factor in deciding whether or not to prosecute a driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Not sure if this counts, but myself and a friend were cycling to Lucan along the canal yesterday.
    Around the Park west google maps we have met group of young kids with few bulterrier dogs and couple of horses. Once we passed them they sent towards us two fist size stones. One missed my friend by couple inches.
    We have rang Gardai to inform about the incident, and watched them from safe distance for next 30 minutes, but they never came.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

twinsen wrote: »
    Not sure if this counts, but myself and a friend were cycling to Lucan along the canal yesterday.
    Around the Park west google maps we have met group of young kids with few bulterrier dogs and couple of horses. Once we passed them they sent towards us two fist size stones. One missed my friend by couple inches.
    We have rang Gardai to inform about the incident, and watched them from safe distance for next 30 minutes, but they never came.

My brother in law warned me recently to stay off it due to recent incidents of cyclists being attacked. Living in Lucan, I've been cycling the canal for 5 years. Never had any issues being attacked, surprisingly considering how often I was there at night, but there's many dodgy characters there. I passed 5 lads drinking at one of the gates one night. Shout out to the council for making me have to stop the bike, in almost pitch black, to go through a gate surrounded by local youth. They get their dirt bikes and horses onto the canal anyway so the gates are completely useless. I understand the point of them at the road side though, not on the actual canal.

The only real incident I had was last year cycling home from work, just past the Kylemore road heading towards Ninth Lock. A young kid was smashing bottles in the middle of the path then a friend of his threw a brick at me. A full on brick. It hit the back of my frame and fortunately didn't hit the wheel or me. I called the station but forgot the name of Kylemore road. Told her I was on the canal bike path and she thought I was talking about Ninth Lock...

Sorry for the long ramble, but glad to hear you're both ok. Take it easy around there. It's quite a handy route to get into the city, especially with all the traffic lights on the Nangor Road etc but Christ it's plagued by council estates and knackers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Not just cyclists they attack either,I have had stones thrown at me and scumbags shouting abuse at me when I'm out running. Was talking to a waterways Ireland worker one evening when I was running on that canal path and he told me they often get stones thrown at them when they are doing maintenance on the paths.
    Funnily enough you don't see these scumbags when it's raining or cold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

twinsen wrote: »

That stretch is best avoided in the afternoon/evenings during the hot spells, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    That stretch is best avoided in the afternoon/evenings during the hot spells, unfortunately

Maybe in the mornings too... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107427669&postcount=4194

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Coming over the bridge going south after Custom Quay yesterday evening, some utter knackball Dub rolled down the window of the sh!theap he was driving and shouted at me 'dere's a cycle lane dere buddy.'

This is a contra flow lane going over to the Northside apparently. I didn't have time to explain this to this wonderful gentleman, so kept cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I had a lady pull out in front of me today, from a side road. I thought, ok I see her, I've got enough time, except she didnt accelerate off into the distance, she wanted to turn immediately right so her car was plonked at a 45 degree angle across my lane.
    A simple case of, 'I see the cyclist, but feck it, I'm not waiting for another gap in the traffic'. biatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've posted here a couple of times previously about a collision that I witnessed at Leeson st bridge last December when a driver turned across the path of a cyclist, knocking her down. the cyclist came down pretty hard and was certainly in shock afterwards but didn't seem physically injured (thankfully).

anyway I captured it clear as day on camera so reported it to Traffic Watch. I went in to the station earlier this year and made a statement - yesterday I received a witness summons for a date in September with the charge being "careless driving contrary to section 52(1)".
    will see how it goes anyway and will update here after the court date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Well done - key to this I assume is the footage.

I was in an accident recently where there was clear dangerous driving, I fell off the bike and was injured, and the driver kept going.

I know it was dangerous driving because the car behind stopped and was able to recount the exact details of what was happening.

Nonetheless, i'm not sure what to do with this, because there is not footage - do you report it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well done - key to this I assume is the footage.

I was in an accident recently where there was clear dangerous driving, I fell off the bike and was injured, and the driver kept going.

I know it was dangerous driving because the car behind stopped and was able to recount the exact details of what was happening.

Nonetheless, i'm not sure what to do with this, because there is not footage - do you report it?

If the witness is willing to make a statement then definitely report it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement