Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I honestly can't see anything bad in Slydice's comments. In fact it was Slydice that posted the videos so surely they are a fan if anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Perhaps I just saw the lost his father comment and jumped on it. Went through similar myself around the same time of BvS's release so I'm probably just being sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭kerplun k

TBH I'd rather watch him do it than that Grace one people seem to suddenly care about :D

Completely agree about Grace. I’ve watched the few bits people have posted from her on here, and I don’t get why she’s so popular. She doesn’t seem any different to the billion other YouTube channels that provide similar content, and she comes across as self-absorbed.

Am I right in thinking that’s she’s popular, because 1.) she’s a girl, and 2.) she’s worked with Marvel/DC. Is that it or am I missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I've watched bits and pieces of Grace. Reviews are quite long so I try to skim them, but she's still probably the first person I'd search for if I was looking for a YT review (which ain't often).

The reason being is that she seems knowledgeable on both film and comics, and she doesn't seem to have a blatant bias.

Most of all though is that she seems laid back enough. I find the typical YT entertainment "personality" quite unbearable to be honest with their over the top reaction videos and desperate attempts to come across as oh so witty, cutting, etc....

Anything they do seems to be about them and pushing their brand, but I never got that impression with Grace. You'd almost swear she was stoned sometimes in her reviews. :pac: There's nothing disingenuous about her so that makes her automatically one of the better YT channels on the subject for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Old man here: who are we talking about exactly? 'Grace' doesn't seem specific lol.

I agree about the YT personality thing though; the service is a real race to the bottom, it's rare enough to find pop culture reviews who aren't obnoxious screaming personalities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Old man here: who are we talking about exactly? 'Grace' doesn't seem specific lol.

I agree about the YT personality thing though; the service is a real race to the bottom, it's rare enough to find pop culture reviews who aren't obnoxious screaming personalities.

She's one of few hundred youtubers who's making a living from commentating on comic book films. I'd actually reject the assertion that she's successful because she's a girl- I'd argue she's correctly gaming the system.

I probably know quite a bit more about youtubing than most people my age :D

The thing with Grace for me is she says nothing I don't know, and her production value is super low (frankly her voice is difficult to deal with too, but obviously that's personal taste).

However, her content is not intended for me. It's aiming at the widest possible audience, that means almost by definition her content has to be banal to people who spend a lot of time immersed in the world of comic book...stuff. There's nothing wrong in what she's doing it's just... wasted time for me to watch.

The low production values, of course, mean she can get her videos out in short order, probably beating most of her competitors to the search terms in the youtube algorithm. Without hiring staff, there it's the correct choice for her to do (although again to me it's another reason to stay away).

Finally, although she actually gives very little commentary or information that you can't get from anyone else, the fact she's worked for the big two in some capacity gives her the air of a "thought leader" (urgh) that means people consider her an authoritarian voice on the topic she's discussing.

So, nothing wrong in what she's doing, just... don't really care :D

When I do dip into the youtube world personally I'd watch moviebob (who often discusses the structure of narrative in a way that interests me) or folding ideas (who discusses them quite a bit in terms of editing and the physical ork of film making).

Of course, someone who's spent a lot of time in the world of cinema may find them boring...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lindsay Lohan is campaigning to be Batgirl.

Lindsay Lohan is campaigning to be Batgirl.

Thats cheered me right up. :D

DC's 'Shazam!' Sets 2019 Release Date
    Warner Bros. is planting the flag for Shazam!

The film will open April 5, 2019, the studio announced Friday. (It had previously carved out that date for an untitled DC movie.) The month is currently pretty open at the box office, with Paramount's Pet Sematary opening a week after Shazam!.

Zachary Levi stars in the film as the adult superhero Captain Marvel, who is actually a young boy named Billy Batson (played by Asher Angel). Billy is able to transform into the hero by uttering the magic word "Shazam!" Mark Strong is in talks to play the film's villain, with director David F. Samberg at the helm from a screenplay by Henry Gayden and Darren Lemke.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dcs-shazam-sets-2019-release-date-1074369

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Marvel releasing Captain Marvel a month before may get a bit confusing for some trying to do marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭techdiver

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Marvel releasing Captain Marvel a month before may get a bit confusing for some trying to do marketing.

I would assume DC will make no reference to that name. They'll call it Shazam and leave it at that. He hasn't been referred to as anything else in any of the animated movies of recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

You all write Shazam... but I keep hearing SHAZAM!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The writers of Spider-Man Homecoming are apparently in discussions to direct The Flash; their CV is skewed towards comedy, so that should give an indication as to what DC are looking for in this Flash adaptation. Assuming they don't also leave the production:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/flash-movie-directors-john-francis-daley-jonathan-goldstein-1202665854/

The writers of Spider-Man Homecoming are apparently in discussions to direct The Flash; their CV is skewed towards comedy, so that should give an indication as to what DC are looking for in this Flash adaptation. Assuming they don't also leave the production:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/flash-movie-directors-john-francis-daley-jonathan-goldstein-1202665854/

Isn't it flashpoint now?

"Barry Allen's risking all of time and space to see his dead mother again, so desperate that he is to see her once again... Thomas Wayne is Batman, driven to cruelty by the murder of his only son before his eyes... ROAD TRIP!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

stache now on view...

was it worth holding out?

not many lines in that

Think you meant to post this in another forum Slydice? :D

Edit: No, now I get it :) The famous moustache, indeed!

If DC couldn't get worse they now want Michael Bay to direct Lobo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85,437 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That Lobo rumour has to be BS, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Joss Whedon leaves 'Batgirl'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joss-whedon-exits-batgirl-movie-1087384
    "Batgirl is such an exciting project, and Warners/DC such collaborative and supportive partners, that it took me months to realize I really didn't have a story," Whedon on Thursday told The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. Referring to DC president Geoff Johns and Warner Bros. Picture Group president Toby Emmerich, he added, "I'm grateful to Geoff and Toby and everyone who was so welcoming when I arrived, and so understanding when I…uh, is there a sexier word for 'failed'?"

Can't say I'm too disappointed tbh, even as a Whedon fan. I don't think it's too fair to hold Justice League against him as it was a film of three visions (Snyder's, Whedon's and the studio's) and ended up as a mish-mash of all three. But I'd much rather see Whedon go off and do something of his own rather than a Batgirl movie.

• Advertisement

They will announce a female director for sure. Basically try and recapture what happened with Wonder Woman.

Edit: That's not a bad thing either if they get the right director and don't interfere to the detriment of the film once more.

I think Whedon should take a backseat and do something different at this point: maybe return to TV and nurture something new and from his own imagination instead of others' - I'm sure Netflix / Amazon would pay big money to let him go wild. In general though, his writing has become so aped elsewhere at this stage there's nothing uniquely remarkable about it anymore, and as a director he's utterly pedestrian.

They will announce a female director for sure. Basically try and recapture what happened with Wonder Woman.

Edit: That's not a bad thing either if they get the right director and don't interfere to the detriment of the film once more.

And why not indeed? Wonder Woman was apparently a bit of a cultural touchstone moment for a lot of young girls, and Batgirl could speak even more directly to them, especially if it's the modern version of her they use. Right now that is the only part of the superhero pie DC can really claim to own, I'd be amazed if they didn't go harder into it.
    I think Whedon should take a backseat and do something different at this point: maybe return to TV and nurture something new and from his own imagination instead of others' - I'm sure Netflix / Amazon would pay big money to let him go wild. In general though, his writing has become so aped elsewhere at this stage there's nothing uniquely remarkable about it anymore, and as a director he's utterly pedestrian.

Yeah it's been a long time since the excitement of him having the Avengers, and as you said so many films ape his style that it's not exciting when his name pops up anymore.

I'd certainly be interested in him doing his own thing though, as you said!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I saw someone on Twitter point out that Batgirl probably isn't the best hero to pick in order to bolster the role of women in Hollywood given that she's the daughter of a famous male character who is immitating another famous male character.

Greta Gerwig would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I saw someone on Twitter point out that Batgirl probably isn't the best hero to pick in order to bolster the role of women in Hollywood given that she's the daughter of a famous male character who is immitating another famous male character.

Barbara Gordon? daughter of Jim?
    who is he immitating?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Barbara Gordon? daughter of Jim?
    who is he immitating?

Ha, that confused me too. Think it means she's the daughter of Jim, and she's imitating Batman (not that Jim is imitating Batman)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yeh, sorry, badly worded on my part.

And why not indeed? Wonder Woman was apparently a bit of a cultural touchstone moment for a lot of young girls, and Batgirl could speak even more directly to them, especially if it's the modern version of her they use. Right now that is the only part of the superhero pie DC can really claim to own, I'd be amazed if they didn't go harder into it.

Oh yeah, like I said it's not a bad thing. Putting the property into fresh hands could be great for it. A strategy that's paid off well for Marvel in recent years. Hopefully they get it right.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »

I honestly don't understand why her being the daughter of Jim Gordon has anything to do with the character potentially being a role model.

Advertisement