Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For many people BvS was that bad. For me it pretty much was. It was an actual chore to watch for 95% of its run time.

The film is getting enough good will from people I trust for me to give it a shot though. I'm guessing that happened because of Whedon. I'd say we'll never know, though!

It's funny, a lot of people who disliked BvS like Justice League, but many who liked BvS are complaining about JL. I don't know if it's the shift in tone, or lower expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I think the issue for those of us who liked BvS, or who at least liked parts of it, was that BvS was more or less blanked by JL. For example the ending of BvS is ignored, with it having no bearing at all on Clark's resurrection.

The main problem I think is that for better or worse, we have a story left incomplete. For all the frustrations I had with Snyder, I really needed to get closure on what he described previously as his trilogy of films. What we got instead is a mess of a film that doesn't do anything for anyone, and one that more or less abandoned the narrative established.

They finally did what they've been threatening to do and have attempted to placate certain fans, but they've ended up placating very few based on the box office. I mean you have to wonder what sort of clown would wait until production was wrapped to sack someone (which is what they did, they just let Snyder go with some semblance of respect). Was the dour response to BvS not a big enough sign? Or how about the fact that they green lit the script; did it sound that drastically different on paper?

It's sad for me because after this, my interest is at an all time low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Considering the Snyder version was essentially finished maybe there's hope that someday it will be released.

The universe would have to be finished I think for that to happen though.

Considering the Snyder version was essentially finished maybe there's hope that someday it will be released.

The universe would have to be finished I think for that to happen though.

The rumblings about that aren't positive but you're right, if it were to happen the DCEU would have to be done, that way WB will happily go about every which way to make a buck off a dead carcus.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,453 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jason Momoa has said today that Aquaman is going to be an origin story.

Backwards step origin story after introducing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

They did the same with Wonder Woman..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Jason Momoa has said today that Aquaman is going to be an origin story.

Backwards step origin story after introducing him.

Not necessarily.
    WW was introduced in BvS and then did an origin story and that turned out to be one of the better DCEU movies.

IMO It actually doesn’t matter what they do as long as they hire a competent filmmaker who knows what they are doing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

kerplun k wrote: »
    Not necessarily.
    WW was introduced in BvS and then did an origin story and that turned out to be one of the better DCEU movies.

IMO It actually doesn’t matter what they do as long as they hire a competent filmmaker who knows what they are doing.

Origin stories are only bad when they do the boring tropey stuff:

1) Here's our character, he's normal and doesn't do anything unusual for about 20 minutes. We're introduced to the side characters (usually with the same names as characters in the books to get this over as a "faithful" adaption, despite them having nothing to do with the original characters). We are introduced to a tragic flaw of the protagonist. Because he has a flaw this is a Serious Film so it's ok to enjoy it.

2) Thingy happens to reveal or give our lead character powers. Don't get too excited though, here's a far more competent/ powerful villain along with a hip hop or orchestral theme to let us know he's evil.

3) Our protagonist experiments with his powers. Possibly ironic comedy ensues just to remind us comics are childlike and ridiculous, but if we take the piss out of it while enjoying it that makes it ok because we're all mature and stuff.

4) Oh no! Protagonist/ US military gets an absolutely horrific beatdown from villain. Good guy is just not on his level. He doesn't know what to do!

5) 10 minutes to go in film, main character resolves his issue, allowing him to access his full potential, dons whatever costume the director has been made to put him in for a minute or two, and we get 5 minutes of the character who's name is on the film's poster.

6) Director promises more of main character being like he's supposed to in sequels.

:D I am always really quite happy when they dodge this. I thought Man of Steel was over long but they did a great job playing with this structure for example. The flashbacks, and Supes actually being more powerful than his enemies but them gradually learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well at least now after the events of Justice League, The Flash's cameo in Batman vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice makes a whole lot more sense, other than it being out of place.

So, and keep in mind this is Warner Bros./DC we're talking about, what are the odds of the Injustice game story-line being adapted for the big screen?

Black Adam
    will be in Suicide Squad 2.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well at least now after the events of Justice League, The Flash's cameo in Batman vs. Superman: Dawn Of Justice makes a whole lot more sense, other than it being out of place.

So, and keep in mind this is Warner Bros./DC we're talking about, what are the odds of the Injustice game story-line being adapted for the big screen?

Injustice, as amazing as the story is (not even joking the comics for injustice are great) is basically a rip off of Kingdom Come, so I'd actually say it's quite likely we'll see something along those lines sometime.

STILL haven't seen it yet, I'm doing GXI this weekend so I was thrown off my usual early attendance...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gah, just found out that's from
    the Justice League end credits scene

Finally got around to seeing JL!

Was better than expected overall. Spoilers below:
    Good:
    Superman doing Superman things, smiling, all those Flash moments,very JLA
    Dry humour Batman is best Batman
    Gal Gadot I really could watch forever playing that character.
    Clever use of music to make me feel 8 years old again
    A bit of colour at long last
    A bare minimum of the ol' "can they pull together?" team movie trope, I really don't need to see more of that right now
    Dude bro Aquaman will probably annoy some people but I felt it gives him a unique personality in a world built on brooding muscley men

Bad:
    Dear god the CGI was atrocious in parts.
    No one has learned from Transformers yet that plain grey CGI bad guys are difficult to watch on screen, especially if they're fighting in or around buildings?
    The CGI lip was very uncanny valley
    Have I mentioned the CGI
    Jarring changes in tone but it's hard to judge that too harshly because the alternative is another BvS style snoozefest
    There is exactly 5 movies in this continuity and 2 of them have the same main plot of alien trying to terraform earth and only Superman is strong enough to stop them

Overall I found it light painless and enjoyable, and that's probably how the first JL film should be. I do wish they'd had another 15 minutes or so to play with and all of Whedon's CGI was clearly super rushed, pity they couldn't push it back a little.

All these people savaging the film, I wonder what they want. I was the first to call BvS a boring mess but this is definitely not a chore to watch like that. I'd even say it's a fun watch. Not my favourite superhero film but I'll definitely give it another view or two in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Surprised no one has mentioned the restructure which will apparently reboot the DCEU with the Flashpoint film. Ben Affleck set to appear in said movie as Batman but will not appear in Matt Reeves's new trilogy. No word on how it will affect other films in the pipeline eg Sirens and Shazam.

Also rumours that Wonder Woman 2 will be set during the Cold War.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned the restructure which will apparently reboot the DCEU with the Flashpoint film. Ben Affleck set to appear in said movie as Batman but will not appear in Matt Reeves's new trilogy. No word on how it will affect other films in the pipeline eg Sirens and Shazam.

Also rumours that Wonder Woman 2 will be set during the Cold War.

At this stage, DC have made so many announcements, I just kinda shrug my shoulders and let it pass. There are too many claims, boasts, promises and new movie plans to keep track of, who can keep up?

I just want to see
    Jeffrey Dean Morgan
    as
    Flashpoint Batman
    before any reboot, hard or soft happens.

pixelburp wrote: »
    At this stage, WB have made so many announcements, I just kinda shrug my shoulders and let it pass. There are too many claims, boasts, promises and new movie plans to keep track of, who can keep up?

FYP

A shame this merger is happening with AT&T as it kills any hope of a sub branch called DC studios being set up where idiot WB execs have little creative input. Johns is meant to be the Feige of the DCEU but the difference is Feige is the actual big dog at Marvel. Johns is just a stooge within the current set up at WB.

FYP

A shame this merger is happening with AT&T as it kills any hope of a sub branch called DC studios being set up where idiot WB execs have little creative input. Johns is meant to be the Feige of the DCEU but the difference is Feige is the actual big dog at Marvel. Johns is just a stooge within the current set up at WB.

To be fair, Feige wasn't for a long time.

Around the time of Civil War, Feige went to the higher ups complaining about Perlmutter's interference, penny pinching, apparently making decisions from a sexist perspective (DC definitely win on the "women can't sell super hero films front") and refusal to greenlight the projects he knew would work while continually pushing the inhumans.

So Disney did exactly what you say Warner should, Feige now works on the Marvel films in his own division while Perlmutter is being proved as the millstone with Inhumans flopping hard.

While Perlmutter is to all appearances a massive dick and the stereotype of the interfering exec, Marvel only survived potential bankruptcy because of him, so you have to respect that.

To be fair, Feige wasn't for a long time.

Around the time of Civil War, Feige went to the higher ups complaining about Perlmutter's interference, penny pinching, apparently making decisions from a sexist perspective (DC definitely win on the "women can't sell super hero films front") and refusal to greenlight the projects he knew would work while continually pushing the inhumans.

So Disney did exactly what you say Warner should, Feige now works on the Marvel films in his own division while Perlmutter is being proved as the millstone with Inhumans flopping hard.

While Perlmutter is to all appearances a massive dick and the stereotype of the interfering exec, Marvel only survived potential bankruptcy because of him, so you have to respect that.

Do you think that was a hard decision for Disney? I'd be shocked if they didn't comfortably put faith in Feige from the off after the merger.

Their confidence in Feige is probably the reason they made the massive move in attempting to purchase Fox.

• Advertisement

Disney buying Fox has nothing to do with Feige.

Do you think that was a hard decision for Disney? I'd be shocked if they didn't comfortably put faith in Feige from the off after the merger.

Their confidence in Feige is probably the reason they made the massive move in attempting to purchase Fox.

At first- yes! Ultimately Perlmutter was the man in charge who oversaw the early films, and they never would have gotten made without his business acumen. Marvel was frankly grade A fecked when he got there.

It was probably harder to determine who was the man making the good decisions until Perlmutter's nigh on self destructive phase started (he's currently sueing he neighbours for stealing his DNA, and reportedly he was found him giving out to bar staff at a Marvel film presser for giving out too many sodas).

That being said, between Star Wars and the MCU, there's clearly someone in Disney who has power and has the (apparently revolutionary) idea that if you get people who understand the properties to give people what they want, people will pay loads of money.

Amy Pascal (sony exec behind the faltering Spider-Man reboot who wanted to make an endless stream of crappy spin offs, who also damaged homecoming's promo by talking about the limited nature of the license, and effectively ended the huge money opportunity of Ghostbusters 3 for the meh remake), Tom Rothman (who fought endlessly to try and keep Deadpool from being made and hated that X-Men was one of Foxes biggest franchises, despite making tonnes of money from it), and Perlmutter (Female characters won't sell and trying to constantly force the Inhumans into Feige's plan) are what you get if you don't have someone making choices like that.

Disney buying Fox has nothing to do with Feige.

Explain why it's not? Because it's clear as day what the benefits are. Feige has consistently made millions and millions of money for Disney already; you don't think widening his library isn't a major part of claiming Fox?

Explain why it's not? Because it's clear as day what the benefits are. Feige has consistently made millions and millions of money for Disney already; you don't think widening his library isn't a major part of claiming Fox?

Not only that- go check the credits on the early X-Men films.

You'll the the name Kevin Feige.

He also produced Wolverine and the X-Men.

The recent thawing between Fox and Marvel is in part accredited to Feige's strong relationship with Fox films, the firing of Tom Rothman at Fox, and the removal of Perlmutter (Rothman and Perlmutter fueded like children over Marvel rights).

The takeover is to do tv channels as well as the film studio back catalogues of shows and movies including the original six Star Wars which Fox still have interest in.

Fox is actually Disneys third choice studio to buy out Sony was its first.

The Marvel part of the take over is a very very small part of the deal.

Ah right, fair enough. Would have honestly thought adding the X Verse, FF Verse and Deadpool to the MCU was a major consideration in acquiring Fox.

So Justice League has been a complete disaster at the Box Office the lowest earner of the DCEU.

Where does it it leave this universe will DC/WB drive on with plans or just do a complete mid universe reboot to try something new.

Flashpoint seems to be nailed on at this stage which will allow them to eradicate what they wish and keep the things worth keeping.

The Flash movie doesn't even have a release date yet or a director so that will be years away from happening.

• Advertisement

Everything else seems up in the air other than Aquaman, WW sequel, Reeves' Batman and Shazam. They're not really committing to anything else so I suspect Flashpoint will come after.

Given WW sequel is in 2019, I don't think the Flash solo having a lack of director or release date is a big deal at this stage. All of the rumours that came out in the aftermath of JL more or less had Flashpoint as a priority in order course correct.

Advertisement