Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I'm not really bothered anymore. A combination of Warner Brothers and criticism has just utterly killed my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    The cynic in me just sees this as DC belatedly jumping on the 80s bandwagon to whip up some extra goodwill. Nothing wrong with that and they're entitled to do so, but if they don't understand how to wield the power of the 1980s, the end result could be more Kung Fury than Stranger Things

Same, I thought they made a bit of a deal in JL that she'd turned her back on mankind since the events in WW1, and Doomsday was what it took to bring her back... except now we can assume she briefly came back in the 80s to fight something and then went away again. Will be interesting to see how they fit it in to keep her story straight. The 80s are very "in" right now though (isn't Captain Marvel also set in the 80s?) so the result could be fun. WW still the best DC have had to offer so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bacchus wrote: »
    Same, I thought they made a bit of a deal in JL that she'd turned her back on mankind since the events in WW1, and Doomsday was what it took to bring her back... except now we can assume she briefly came back in the 80s to fight something and then went away again. Will be interesting to see how they fit it in to keep her story straight. The 80s are very "in" right now though (isn't Captain Marvel also set in the 80s?) so the result could be fun. WW still the best DC have had to offer so far.

I watched Justice League over the weekend and they do kinda retcon her line about turning her back on mankind since WW1.

Diana: You were pushing me to lead the team, but leaders get people killed. I fought, always, when I was needed. But to lead, step into the light and to say to people, "This is worth your life"... it's your fault. They're all Steve Trevor.

So basically, it's not that she turned her back on mankind, but rather that she took a backseat, only stepping in when necessary, then returning to hiding away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Captain marvel is set in the 90s I believe.

Penn wrote: »
    I watched Justice League over the weekend and they do kinda retcon her line about turning her back on mankind since WW1.

Diana: You were pushing me to lead the team, but leaders get people killed. I fought, always, when I was needed. But to lead, step into the light and to say to people, "This is worth your life"... it's your fault. They're all Steve Trevor.

So basically, it's not that she turned her back on mankind, but rather that she took a backseat, only stepping in when necessary, then returning to hiding away.

Don't remember that... is that in the extended edition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,479 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jared Leto ‘Joker’ Movie In Early Development; Todd Phillips’ Origins Tale Still In Works
    Deadline has confirmed that Warner Bros. is in early development on a Joker standalone film in the Suicide Squad universe starring Jared Leto, who will also executive produce. No writer or director are assigned at this time. It’s very early.

Meanwhile Todd Phillips’ origin tales film about the Joker –which Deadline broke the news on– is still in development and will fall under a different DC origins cinematic banner, to separate it from the titles set during the current day. Joaquin Phoenix is set to star in Phillips’ movie.

Variety had today’s news on Leto’s Joker title. Let’s see which project makes it to the finish line first. Suicide Squad 2 is going into production some time next year.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/joker-jared-leto-movie-in-development-1202404311/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Jared Leto’s Joker Is Getting His Own Movie (EXCLUSIVE)
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/joker-jared-leto-standalone-movie-warner-bros-1202831025/
    Plot details are currently unknown, but the studio’s idea is to expand on the world created by “Suicide Squad” and tie into future installments of that property.

Snap :)

452578.jpg

Don't remember that... is that in the extended edition?

No. It's in the scene between Bruce and Diana after they bring back Clark.

She says she turned her back on mankind in BvS, but I think they threw this line into JL in order to retcon it.

• Advertisement

Would be cool if this supposed "separate DC Banner" ended up being called Elseworlds. Even though there wouldn't be crossovers it's probably still important that they cordon off such films under a clear separate umbrella so people do not get confused.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Remember how special every appearance of the Joker used to be in the cinema?

Warner doing its best to remove the remaining name value their characters have :(

We don't need multiple Joker movies, we need you to make sure the ones he appears in are good.

Remember how special every appearance of the Joker used to be in the cinema?

Warner doing its best to remove the remaining name value their characters have :(

We don't need multiple Joker movies, we need you to make sure the ones he appears in are good.
    Tbf Doom I get what you're saying, but all going well and they actually come to fruition, we could do a lot worse than two separate projects led by Phoenix and Leto respectively!

That being said, I'm not sure I'm a fan of nothing being standalone in the sense that Batman won't be in or be a major part of either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Quick," cried the DC executive down the telephone, "We're slowing down. Greenlight more, MORE I say! Damn the logic! What do we have?"
    "Uh," said the intern, scanning the cast lists, "there aren't that many left. I mean there's Leto's Joker, but nobody like-"
    "Perfect! Jared Leto's is just crazy enough for marketability. Do it!"
    "We could always make an effort to get The Flas-"
    "I said do it!"

How I imagine the conversations in the DCEU boardroom. :p I dunno, I really didn't like Jared Leto's Joker whatsoever & the prospect of an Origins film ? Urgh, stop the bus I want to get off.

I just completely fail to see how Joker is supposed to be the protagonist rather than the antagonist... in two different movies in two different ways by two different actors. I know both films aren't connected, but trying to make the audience see Joker as the protagonist in one film seems tricky enough without having to do it twice.

That said, I actually enjoyed parts of Leto's performance in Suicide Squad. The nightclub gangster part fell flat, but there was enough in his performance that made me think he could be great if given better material.

I just completely fail to see how Joker is supposed to be the protagonist rather than the antagonist... in two different movies in two different ways by two different actors. I know both films aren't connected, but trying to make the audience see Joker as the protagonist in one film seems tricky enough without having to do it twice.

That said, I actually enjoyed parts of Leto's performance in Suicide Squad. The nightclub gangster part fell flat, but there was enough in his performance that made me think he could be great if given better material.

Like I can think of ways.

You could do his origin, do the whole sympathetic thing.

You could have some real nasty crime boss move into town and have the Joker take him out anti hero style.

But... why would you? You need the character to be working as a foil to Batman first before he can do these things. Again, make people care. Just IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Had completely forgotten Aquaman was coming out towards the end of this year..

Geoff Johns To Step Down As DC Chief Creative Officer
    Geoff Johns, the longtime chief creative officer at DC Entertainment, is stepping down. He will move into a Warner Bros first-look producing deal where he will write movie vehicles to produce for Mad Ghost Productions. Johns will continue to work on existing DC films.

The move isn’t entirely a surprise, given that Johns’ wingman Jon Berg moved out to become a lot-based producer for Warner Bros., and DC chief and 25-year Warner Bros vet Diane Nelson announced her retirement following a months-long sabbatical. Johns and Nelson clashed loudly, sources said. This follows a subpar record for DC feature films, one that has reminded everyone it has been a long time since Chris Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy.

Johns had his hooks not only movies but also television and comics. DC has been more successful in crowd-pleasing fare in the TV space, with hit-making show runners like Greg Berlanti.

Finding the right creative imprimatur on the movie side has been elusive for DC, especially given the inevitable comparisons to Marvel, where Kevin Feige has managed to generate one crowd-pleasing global blockbuster after another with no sign of hitting the wall. DC’s films put up large global grosses, but they cost a lot and, like the most recent efforts Justice League and Batman V Superman, have been black as pitch and more obligatory than pleasurable. The notable exception was Wonder Woman, with Gal Gadot starring and Patty Jenkins directing.

The studio just announced that DC Entertainment Publisher Jim Lee will expand his role to include the Chief Creative Officer title and responsibilities, and will continue to act as Publisher together with Dan DiDio as they have since 2010. Thomas Gewecke, Chief Digital Officer and EVP Strategy and Business Development, who is serving as DC’s interim head.

But Hollywood will be asking this question: What the hell does a comic book editor and a digital strategy executive know about making tentpole superhero movies?

Many believe Warner Bros and DC counted too much on director Zack Snyder, not known for his sense of humor and who set a tone so dark that it became a joke in Deadpool 2, when that superhero character told a humorless nemesis he was dark enough to be a DC universe character. There is an opportunity for Toby Emmerich to really reshuffle the executive deck on the feature side and turn DC into something more formidable than it is right now, even as a James Wan-directed Aquaman is coming and Wonder Woman 2 is in production, with Matt Reeves rebooting Batman for a new standalone franchise, likely with a new actor to play the Caped Crusader after Ben Affleck’s stints in Batman V Superman and Justice League.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/geoff-johns-exit-dc-chief-creative-officer-warner-bros-producing-deal-1202407811/

Jim Lee as in "primarily known for his art" Jim Lee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Jim Lee as in "primarily known for his art" Jim Lee?

He's been an editor for years, more involved in the business side of DC these days than doing any actual ongoings.

Todd Philips’ Joker Film Expected To Shoot This Fall With Joaquin Phoenix & Small Budget

https://theplaylist.net/todd-philips-joker-film-20180613/

Todd Philips’ Joker Film Expected To Shoot This Fall With Joaquin Phoenix & Small Budget

Any word on who Small Budget will be playing? :D

Any word on who Small Budget will be playing? :D

Small Budget is the latest small deal rapper the kids are down with.

He only drinks bucks fizz and throws euro coins at people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭kerplun k

He buys his kicks in Pennys

It's great that DC/WB are taking steps to rectify their movie universe but what is proposed there sounds like an absolute clusterf*ck. Trying to keep one foot in the existing established universe but at the same time completely undermining it by setting up a new "parallel" DC universe with a younger Batman and ploughing on with two Joker films portrayed by different actors. Also, this new universe will be DC Dark or DC Black... because that's what everyone's been asking for, an even darker series of DC movies.

They should have kept the good (WW, Superman, Flash), worked on the middling (Aquaman, Cyborg) with their "origin" movies and scraped the rest of the mess. They have the core characters in place, they just need to start telling good stories and building an interesting universe. Do that or... burn the whole thing to the ground and start again. What they're proposing is a half measure between the two.

BTW, I didn't include Batman in "the good" as it's clear Batfleck is leaving so... that's an interesting mess they need to clean up. Actually it was probably the biggest risk they made to introduce a Batman so late into his career, and with how's it's gone with Affleck, it's backfiring. They've nowhere to go with that character now, especially with a recast.

I don't see the issue in an Elseworlds type universe where they can do standalone films. I'm relaxed about it anyway and very much interested in Phoenix's take. It's only a film at the end of the day, no idea why some people get so worked up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I would think it will lead to problems for general audiences and trying to explain why there are 2 different Jokers and Batman but if they do it right and make it clear that it's different I don't have an issue.

In fact the idea of them giving more directors and actors a chance to put their spin on something is interesting. We could get something truly unique and great out of this kind of approach without having to worry about how this all fits in with every other movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

We could get something truly unique and great out of this kind of approach without having to worry about how this all fits in with every other movie.

1 year ago the same could be said for justice league

Advertisement