Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,453 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So 2021 or 2022 that's 3 or 4 years before it's released that's a long time to let the universe thread water in this day and age for the hope of a successful reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I don't think they have any great hopes at this stage to be honest.

The Reeveverse from what we know is going to be standalone away from the DCEU so that could be their new great hope while they will just observe what happens with the next 3 slated films in the DCEU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Right. Saw Justice League.
    So like.. really quick and undeveloped thoughts:

Give Superman back to Synder.
    Give the DCEU to Jenkins and Johns.

Make Jenkins a mandatory approver of all things WW espec. This had moments but looked like Whedon trying to improve on them made some not so great. Others may have worked. Would need to see Synders original.

Thought Cyborg, Flash and Aquaman seemed introduced fine. Green Lantern intros were a decent nod.

Felt like Steppenwolf was done better than Ares.

Honestly thought Darkseid was gonna be in the post credits given some hype I'd heard but nope.

I think Flashpoint might still be redeemable. Definitely requires Jenkins to approve the WW and Amazons though.

Lots of factors at play though including the Aquaman film to come and how it shows the Atlantians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think they've probably lost the audience at this stage so a reboot might not be the worst idea. Aquaman still has to come out but after that there's nothing set in stone.

Start with the Matt Reeves Batman and build from there. I like the idea of giving directors "stripped back" budgets and letting them then have a bit more creative freedom as the stakes aren't as high. There's no reason in my view, why you can't make an excellent sub 100m Batman movie. Sure it gets a bit more tricky with the team up movies but cross that bridge when you get to it.

It's a shame because Gadot and Cavill are absolutely excellent in their respective roles, and in an ideal world I'd love to see them get a few more movies each but there's far too much badwill towards this universe now.

Ack!

:(

What could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think they've probably lost the audience at this stage so a reboot might not be the worst idea. Aquaman still has to come out but after that there's nothing set in stone.

Start with the Matt Reeves Batman and build from there. I like the idea of giving directors "stripped back" budgets and letting them then have a bit more creative freedom as the stakes aren't as high. There's no reason in my view, why you can't make an excellent sub 100m Batman movie. Sure it gets a bit more tricky with the team up movies but cross that bridge when you get to it.

It's a shame because Gadot and Cavill are absolutely excellent in their respective roles, and in an ideal world I'd love to see them get a few more movies each but there's far too much badwill towards this universe now.

There's no way in hell they're not doing Wonder Woman 2 though.

Aye, that's why Flashpoint would be their vehicle to have their cake and eat it too; keep what they want (Gal Gadot) and cut what they wish (Affleck).

My only thinking is with the way JL performed would they be that eager to drop another 200+ million production budget plus advertising, on a flashpoint movie with the same group who failed to pull in the revenue this time.

I mean the current trend is the box office going down for this universe so It would be very brave.

They would have to absolutely nail the advertising and critic/fan response to stand any chance. And they would have to put it into production fairly soon. They can't afford to wait and see how Aquaman does next Xmas.

WW 2 will be made but it could easily be done as a stand alone like the first one pretty much was.

Can they retcon the DCEU out of the WW-DCEU?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Slydice wrote: »
    Can they retcon the DCEU out of the WW-DCEU?

I could literally think of 20 ways in continuity to do it right now.

It's just a matter of picking the manner that most of the paying populace will tolerate the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's also interesting that while Marvel are more than happy to mix & match, and not necessarily adhere to the exact form of the comics' various institutions, groupings or even individual characters, DC/WB were at pains to ram the core of the Justice League into a film, even though half of its members had almost zero backstory or context within the film universe.

And while The Flash at least has some presence in the broader pop-culture landscape via the successful CW show, and Aquaman a fairly straightforward who-why-what, Cyborg must have been so confusing and seemed extra redundant to the average viewer. Just some random guy in a bad CGI mo-cap suit stomping around being vaguely angsty.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's also interesting that while Marvel are more than happy to mix & match, and not necessarily adhere to the exact form of the comics' various institutions, groupings or even individual characters, DC/WB were at pains to ram the core of the Justice League into a film, even though half of its members had almost zero backstory or context within the film universe.

And while The Flash at least has some presence in the broader pop-culture landscape via the successful CW show, and Aquaman a fairly straightforward who-why-what, Cyborg must have been so confusing and seemed extra redundant to the average viewer. Just some random guy in a bad CGI mo-cap suit stomping around being vaguely angsty.

Another reason why you need a Feigalike, you need someone to pick the parts people will want to see to make them feel they're watching their beloved property, and what parts to change (How many people do you know who were complaining about Captain America being on the Avengers first mission and not Ant-Man/Wasp?).

Green Lantern is pretty deep in the american psyche. Probabaly should have gone with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm gonna have to see the bluray cut of justice league before I give any review of it, the full cut will hopefully fill in the ah who am I kidding that was horrible so much nonsense not one reference to Lois Lane is the key, Batman uses her to anchor Superman back to reality while he's going full Doomsday on them, the full cut will have some scenes that should tie some plotholes up but gods damn that was a messy film.

I'm gonna have to see the bluray cut of justice league before I give any review of it, the full cut will hopefully fill in the ah who am I kidding that was horrible so much nonsense not one reference to Lois Lane is the key, Batman uses her to anchor Superman back to reality while he's going full Doomsday on them, the full cut will have some scenes that should tie some plotholes up but gods damn that was a messy film.

I hope there is a longer cut coming but I wouldn't be confident. More than likely everything left over is Snyder scenes. So many of them probably won't fit in with Joss's version.

It isn't like BvS where Snyder had made a 3 hour film and cut it down to 2 1/2 hours late on. Joss reworked and changed a lot of stuff here.

A Snyder cut may be possible years after this universe is done but for this Blu Ray I'd guess we'll see very little new stuff and certainly nothing like the amount BvS gave out.

Everytime I see Matt Bomer I wonder. Seems so effortless in everything he does and is the more accomplished actor than Cavill (don't mean that in an insulting way, just compare their work and you'll see Bomer is way more varied in the roles he's taken), but I think even Bomer would have struggled with the garbage Cavill was given in BvS and JL.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Everytime I see Matt Bomer I wonder. Seems so effortless in everything he does and is the more accomplished actor than Cavill (don't mean that in an insulting way, just compare their work and you'll see Bomer is way more varied in the roles he's taken), but I think even Bomer would have struggled with the garbage Cavill was given in BvS and JL.

I think Cavill himself can be great. Like you say, it's what he was given to work that's the issue. But we finally saw a glimpse of a happy, hopeful, smiling Superman in JL. Not that he should be like that all the time because that'd be boring, but a bit of light to balance out the dark was badly needed and is something I think Cavill could be great at if given the chance.

Walter Hamada Named President Of DC Films At Warner Bros.
    New Line Production EVP Walter Hamada, one of the key executives in charge of the label’s horror successes It and The Conjuring franchise, will now oversee DC films at the studio as Warner Bros Group president Toby Emmerich evolves the unit at Warner Bros. Hamada is being named President, DC-Based Film Production, Warner Bros.

The news comes a month after Justice League producer and Warner Bros co-president of production Jon Berg segued out of his role to become Roy Lee’s producing partner on the Burbank lot. In addition, Geoff Johns is said to have less oversee of the DC cinema franchise. While Wonder Woman was a huge success for the DC brand, becoming 2017’s third highest-grossing title with $821.8 million, Justice League — essentially DC’s version of Marvel’s Avengers — hasn’t broken even yet with just under $700M.

Hamada is known as a razor-sharp executive with a great eye for material and quality controlling production. Through four movies, The Conjuring franchise (including Annabelle) has reaped $1.2 billion worldwide off combined production costs that are under $82M. It was a huge success for New Line and WB, raking in close to $700M off a $35M production cost following a launch during the post-Labor Day dead period at the box office. When it comes to a game-changer in film distribution, It was the pic last year.

Other pics shepherded by Hamada at New Line include 2009’s Friday the 13th, The Final Destination, 2010’s Nightmare on Elm Street and Final Destination 5.

“Walter is creative, resourceful, and committed to excellence, and will bring those qualities to his oversight of our superhero films,” said Emmerich. “He’s a terrific production executive and served as an executive producer on two of the summer’s most popular films, New Line’s It and Annabelle: Creation. I’m confident Walter and Geoff, working with our filmmaking partners, will deliver films that will resonate with both broad global audiences as well as DC fanboys and fangirls. Walter’s a great addition to the Warner Bros Pictures team, and I look forward to working with him in his new post.”

Hamada came to New Line 11 years ago from H2F Entertainment, where he was a manager-producer. He started at New Line as SVP Production. At H2F, Hamada worked with writers such as Chris Morgan, Rob McKittrick, Greg Coolidge and Brad Gann.

Hamada started in the biz as an assistant at TriStar and ultimately became a VP Production at Columbia Pictures

http://deadline.com/2018/01/walter-hamada-to-oversee-dc-films-at-warner-bros-1202235424/

Did a formal statement really just refer to fanboys and fangirl? Really?

• Advertisement

Tentative thumbs up from Grace. Sounds like James Wan will be key... so roll on Aquaman :)

Finished watching Bobs 3 HOURS 20 MINS (!!!! :eek::eek::eek:) of BATMAN V SUPERMAN: REALLY THAT BAD. That's longer than the ultimate edition! :eek:

Feels like he's saying it has bit's here and there but it's just too much of a mess caused my many many issues all having their impact on it.

In the last part he also covers Watchmen for context.

His conclusions have me thinking the only game in town is a reboot.. so I guess we'll see.

Part I:

Part II:

Part III:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slydice wrote: »
    Finished watching Bobs 3 HOURS 20 MINS (!!!! :eek::eek::eek:) of BATMAN V SUPERMAN: REALLY THAT BAD. That's longer than the ultimate edition! :eek:

Good lord man, why?? And were Bob himself around these parts I'd ask the same question! Why spend 3 hours on a deconstruction of a 3 hour movie? :eek: :P

Good lord man, why?? And were Bob himself around these parts I'd ask the same question! Why spend 3 hours on a deconstruction of a 3 hour movie? :eek: :P

TBH I'd rather watch him do it than that Grace one people seem to suddenly care about :D

He does come to that.. even feels like he's asking himself a few times. Seems hesitant. He talks about his own father passing earlier this year and the death, by suicide, of Synder's daughter.

I think originally he intended a single 1 hour max episode but one thing led to another and then Justice League came out so he re-worked it to include some comments about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

worldburn-top.jpg

Bob needs to get out more

Bob needs to get out more

I don't know who this bloke is but if his father passed within the same general timeframe of Snyder losing his daughter and duly leaving the project, I don't have a problem with the guy finding some resonance in it.

Perhaps it was self therapeutic for him. No one has to listen to it. Seems in bad taste to me to rip someone over it anyway.

I don't know who this bloke is but if his father passed within the same general timeframe of Snyder losing his daughter and duly leaving the project, I don't have a problem with the guy finding some resonance in it.

Perhaps it was self therapeutic for him. No one has to listen to it. Seems in bad taste to me to rip someone over it anyway.

OK, settle down.

I watched the announcement for this series back a few months ago and thought it was quite poor, he brought up nothing in that 18 minute video that hadn't been said a thousand times already.

I can't speak as to this video's contents because am I **** going to watch 3 and 1/2 hours of it but offering criticism of his YouTube videos doesn't mean I am "ripping" him about his father's death. I hope it was therapeutic for him.

• Advertisement

Apologies Incognito, I quoted you but it was more slydices comments that provoked me. I'm going to try and watch bob's review tomorrow so I know where I'm coming from.

Advertisement