Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lowry, Sinn Fein and Mattie McGrath... Once again, Tipperary the laughing stock of the country, and that's saying something when there are the likes of the Healy-Raes in Kerry :mad:

Does that not say a lot about the other candidates running,they can't be up to much if the above are getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Does that not say a lot about the other candidates running,they can't be up to much if the above are getting in

I think that the Pope, Luke Skywalker, Mother Theresa, Leonardo Da Vinci, Stephen Hawking, Marie Curie could run in Tipperary and Lowry and McGrath would still get elected. It says more about the people of Tipperary that we keep voting for these jokers.

Tally update. With 45% of boxes completed:
    Lowry - 16%
    Browne - 12
    McGrath - 11
    Jackie Cahill - 9
    Kelly - 9
    Healy - 7
    Ahearn - 6
    Newman Julian - 5
    Goldsboro - 5
    Hannigan - 4
    O'Donnell - 3
    Farrell - 2
    Dolores Cahill - 1
    Skehan - 0
    #TippGE2020
    Frim Tipp FM on Twitter..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'm nowhere near Lowry's area and didn't give him a scratch but to keep getting returned comfortably time and time again he must be doing something right

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

My god Browne....we are ridiculous.

• Advertisement

RTE Tipperary
    First count expected in Tipperary between 6:30 & 7pm. #GeneralElection2020 #ge2020

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya I feel kinda ill from it to be honest.

He’s polling well everywhere in the county meaning it’s a Sinn Fèin thing rather than a Browne thing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya I feel kinda ill from it to be honest.

He’s polling well everywhere in the county meaning it’s a Sinn Fèin thing rather than a Browne thing to be honest.

Definitely a Sinn Fein thing. A lot of my friends were planning on voting Sinn Fein, in spite of him rather than because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

FG got their strategy wrong in Tipp it seems. Madness running two candidates from the same part of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

FG got their strategy wrong in Tipp it seems. Madness running two candidates from the same part of the county

They weren’t the same part of the County - Clonmel and either Nenagh or Thurles, can’t remember - had never heard of her before and unfortunately for him, Garret Ahern wasn’t a very friendly fellow and not overly liked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They weren’t the same part of the County - Clonmel and either Nenagh or Thurles, can’t remember - had never heard of her before and unfortunately for him, Garret Ahern wasn’t a very friendly fellow and not overly liked.

Not trying to be smart in correcting you Tipp lads :)

She is from Westmeath and is Kate O'Connell's sister.

Vet in Cashel and farm between Golden and New Inn.

They’re both based in the south of the county, not FGs original strategy, but they were very close in votes when the party voted on who to run. I don’t think there was anyone strong in north tipp, and FG probably wanted to run a woman as well. Much as it pains me to say it, because he wasn’t up to much, I think Tom Hayes would have had more of a chance than Ahearn, Ahearn doesn’t have the personality for the job, and was banking on his surname to get him elected.

Garret Ahearn not getting in is one upside to this. I posted something on here a few nights ago that I removed quickly. But he should never be near public office in my opinion. A few in Clonmel might know what I am on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

jlm29 wrote: »
    They’re both based in the south of the county, not FGs original strategy, but they were very close in votes when the party voted on who to run. I don’t think there was anyone strong in north tipp, and FG probably wanted to run a woman as well. Much as it pains me to say it, because he wasn’t up to much, I think Tom Hayes would have had more of a chance than Ahearn, Ahearn doesn’t have the personality for the job, and was banking on his surname to get him elected.

Whatever way they both got nominated they are pulling from the same bloc and have succeeded in splitting the vote almost bang down the middle. I honestly don’t know how the party didn’t see that coming.

What is the SF candidate like? I’ve never heard of him before, is he a councillor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Tbf if Peadar Toibin is to be believed he won't be making any decisions anyway, it'll be done for him. So from that point of view the actual calibre of the Sinn Fein candidate in the constituency is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I wouldn’t be looking to Peadar Toibin for honesty either - how anyone voted for Aontu is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Whatever way they both got nominated they are pulling from the same bloc and have succeeded in splitting the vote almost bang down the middle. I honestly don’t know how the party didn’t see that coming.

What is the SF candidate like? I’ve never heard of him before, is he a councillor?

Know little of him but honestly don’t think the vote was for him but more for sf.thats a simillar story around country I bet .worrying times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Think HQ wanted Newman. Fg ran their selection committee and Aherne came out top, barely ahead of her. They only ever intended to run one.
    I’m presuming there was a fear Newman might run independently and hurt Aherne’s chances.

So they had to run her possibly due to the gender quota/ party hq/her vote from the selection committee.

Either way fg called it badly. They should’ve one seat given their number of councillors across the county.

Brown is a complete joke. If I ran for sf I’d probably have done as well.
    Best thing about sf getting into power would be the electorate realising the emperor has no clothes

What is Brownes background? Unemployed on the ballot paper. I mean we are not exactly in times of high unemployment.

What is Brownes background? Unemployed on the ballot paper. I mean we are not exactly in times of high unemployment.

And now he’ll never need to think about working again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

what makes you think he ever thought about working. organising darts touraments in pubs is about his limit

what makes you think he ever thought about working. organising darts touraments in pubs is about his limit

Well yes. True story. Sad state of affairs really.

I think FF have made the same mistake.

The people have spoken. Maybe it’s time for SF and all the others to form a rainbow government and show what they’re capable of doing.

The people have spoken. Maybe it’s time for SF and all the others to form a rainbow government and show what they’re capable of doing.

I know people knock Matty and Lowry but they serve a purpose. Judging on Facebook it is people of a similar mindset to Browne that have voted him in.

He is unemployed because he was a county councillor until last May. He narrowly lost his seat because SF ran 2 candidates and the transfers went in favour of his running mate.

I wonder will FG regret not running Michael Murphy now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

julyjane wrote: »
    He is unemployed because he was a county councillor until last May. He narrowly lost his seat because SF ran 2 candidates and the transfers went in favour of his running mate.

What was he doing before he became a councillor ?
    I know it's not necessarily possible to continue to work and be a councillor, depending on your occupation. But 9 months is a good amount of time to try and secure work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I know people knock Matty and Lowry but they serve a purpose. Judging on Facebook it is people of a similar mindset to Browne that have voted him in.

The purpose you are eluding to certainly isn't in the dail :pac:

• Advertisement

The purpose you are eluding to certainly isn't in the dail :pac:

Not going to argue that point.

Advertisement