Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I googled it and found

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/your-community/121110/Death-of-former-Sinn-Fein-mayor.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sf-mayor-takes-the-hand-of-royalty-26735408.html
    "During the visit a small Sinn Fein protest -- led by Mr Browne's brother, Martin Browne -- was held in the town".

My bad apologies, wow I had assumed all along it was the same lad :D Thankfully I didn't vote for SF on false information!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

mahoney_j wrote: »
    He wasn’t elected he is now as a td but don’t know how anyone outside sf can say the vote was for the party not the candidate ,this will have been repeated many times around the country .they got in now let’s see how they do with the reality of power and running a country I snd lots of others will be watching on to see will they follow thru on all there promises .lots of foreign multi nationals and doctors I’d say will be looking for an out

Well Mary Lou said that she would build 100,000 houses so she better get cracking!

He wasn’t elected he is now as a td but don’t know how anyone outside sf can say the vote was for the party not the candidate ,this will have been repeated many times around the country .they got in now let’s see how they do with the reality of power and running a country I snd lots of others will be watching on to see will they follow thru on all there promises .lots of foreign multi nationals and doctors I’d say will be looking for an out

I fully agree re the party v candidate vote, I dont think even anyone in SF could argue against that, again there is no one to blame for that only FF/FG who were more concerned with tring to blacken SF than actually run a meaningful campaign.

You will have to explain the bolded bit to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Pogue eile wrote: »
    My bad apologies, wow I had assumed all along it was the same lad :D Thankfully I didn't vote for SF on false information!
    Don't think he was ever the mayor, he was a councillor

is this him https://www.whoismytd.com/person/martin-browne

i think it is

I fully agree re the party v candidate vote, I dont think even anyone in SF could argue against that, again there is no one to blame for that only FF/FG who were more concerned with tring to blacken SF than actually run a meaningful campaign.

I think the bolded means SF will want to tax multi nationals, don't understand the doctors bit.

• Advertisement

Don't think he was ever the mayor, he was a councillor

is this him https://www.whoismytd.com/person/martin-browne

i think it is

That's him yes. He probably has in a way been fortuante on a number of fronts fistly to have gotten the nomination, which was as a result of Seamie Morris leaving the party and then secondly the wave of SF support accross the country was going to get any of their candidates elected other than in very exceptional cirumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There going to tax both into oblivion despite both contributing massively already ,why would a top doctor etc stick around to pay even more tax ,if liked of apple pull out due to some of sf proposals jobs and money will go

There going to tax both into oblivion despite both contributing massively already ,why would a top doctor etc stick around to pay even more tax ,if liked of apple pull out due to some of sf proposals jobs and money will go
    That is true, or the place on the Cashel Road in Clonmel

Be interesting to see if they do crack down on crime and solve the housing crisis

Well firstly there isn't a hope in hell of FF allowing them anywhere near Finance and secondly I don't see a single thing wrong with asking Multi Nationals to pay their sharein taxes, they were after all effictively bribed into coming here in the first place, why would they leave an established skilled workforce with direct access to a market place of over 500M to move somewhere that will be charging the same amount of tax?

I dont for one second agree with SF's fiscal policies, a lot of which are back of an envelope type stuff, but I agree with them on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

To be fair Matty does a lot for Clonmel and it would be his local town. It’s a shame to see Healy isn’t looking great, a man I have utmost respect for who along with Matty have done a lot for the town over the years. There will be more than a few people happy to see Ahearn fall at the last hurdle which looks likely at this stage, for a lad who’s new to politics he has claimed some amount of projects as his own work, stuff that was even sorted before he came on the scene even!!

Can you outline what Matty and Healy have done for Clonmel? Not being smart here just genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

O'Riordan re-elected in Dublin Bay North is bad news for AK's leadership ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Labour are becoming irrelevant.
    Wonder will he go to ff or fg?

digzy wrote: »

Just as we experience the biggest shift to the left in the history of the state, hes not a complete moron!

Labour will eventually merge with one or both or SD and PBP and Kelly will be the leader and with his financial backing could actually become the somebody he has always craved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

digzy wrote: »
    they're not at all. Theyve recovered from the state they were in after where in power and he isnt ever going to change party. If you ever heard him talk you'd realise that.
    Just as we experience the biggest shift to the left in the history of the state, hes not a complete moron!

Labour will eventually merge with one or both or SD and PBP and Kelly will be the leader and with his financial backing could actually become the somebody he has always craved.
    they wont merge with either. None would want it to happen and that insult of AK is so off..

Definitely the best named poster on this entire site 🀣🀣

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-2020-labour-s-poor-result-reveals-a-party-in-need-of-renewal-1.4167499?mode=amp
    Have a read of that for yourself, you might learn something.
    It’s pretty widely known that ff have made overtures to him.
    If you knew anything about politics you’d know he’s hardly gonna concede that he’s contemplating leaving the Labour Party.
    they're not at all. Theyve recovered from the state they were in after where in power and he isnt ever going to change party. If you ever heard him talk you'd realise that.

they wont merge with either. None would want it to happen and that insult of AK is so off..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I still remember his canvassers in Nenagh telling everyone an Apple store would open in O’Connors. A Mr. Price did :D

Even Dublin City hasn’t got an Apple store

I still remember his canvassers in Nenagh telling everyone an Apple store would open in O’Connors. A Mr. Price did :D

Tbf they’re all as bad as each other for that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Maybe they meant AppleGreen :)

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Why is it an insult, he literally said that power is like a drug to him, he is the ultimate definition of an egotist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yeah he also said he sees himself as Frank Underwood, I'd say most people in Nenagh just haven't watched House of cards.

Wasn't one of his past election promises to keep the A&E open?

Can you outline what Matty and Healy have done for Clonmel? Not being smart here just genuinely interested.
    Healy says he 'put 15,000 on the strets of Clonmel 'and saved the hospital. I think that was the general hospital . I am not sure what they were going to do was it close some department?

I would genuinely like to know also what more he has done and what Matty has done and what the 'work in the communities' they talk about refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I assume Alan Kelly will be a strong contender for the Labour party leadership following Howlin's announcement? I don't know much about the party,will others put their names forward?

Labour’s executive board will meet on Saturday next, February 15th to approve the arrangements for the election of a new leader.
    Aodhan O Riordain is the bookie fovourite @4/5
    Alan Kelly is next at 9/4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Healy says he 'put 15,000 on the streets of Clonmel 'and saved the hospital. I think that was the general hospital . I am not sure what they were going to do was it close some department?

It was the A and E and surgical services to be downgraded , which is always the beginning of the end for a hospital.
    My memory of it was a cross party and society effort, with guest speakers on the day from all walks of life - sports, media people as well as politicans. Attendance reports varied from 10 to 20 thousand.
    There's no doubt that WUAG was a big part of it but there were others.

I have heard another version of how the hospital was saved, that Lord Lowry of Tipperary insisted on it being left alone as a condition for his support of the then FF/Green gubbermint, despite being in a different constituency (Tipp North) at that time.

Expunge wrote: »
    It was the A and E and surgical services to be downgraded , which is always the beginning of the end for a hospital.
    My memory of it was a cross party and society effort, with guest speakers on the day from all walks of life - sports, media people as well as politicans. Attendance reports varied from 10 to 20 thousand.
    There's no doubt that WUAG was a big part of it but there were others.

I have heard another version of how the hospital was saved, that Lord Lowry of Tipperary insisted on it being left alone as a condition for his support of the then FF/Green gubbermint,
    despite being in a different constituency (Tipp North) at that time.
    wouldn't be surprised but never heard Lord Michael taking credit which is unusual. Seamus chants 15,000 on the streets of Clonmel like a mantra

http://tippfm.com/news/politics/newman-julian-challenge-seanad-seat/

And so, the vanquished head for the Seanad political life preserver.

Mrs Newman - Julian gets a nomination from the Vets of Ireland!

Has she a good chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I never even knew getting nominated by vets was a thing but if she does good things for animal welfare then maybe better than others.

• Advertisement

julyjane wrote: »
    I never even knew getting nominated by vets was a thing but if she does good things for animal welfare then maybe better than others.

That's all very well, but is she even the best Vet for the job?

Advertisement