Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well said. ..Mattie.

Very funny :)

I'd say Mattie has enough to worry about without Boards !

Seriously though last minute issues coming up can be dynamite leaving candidates no time to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

elperello wrote: »
    Very funny :)

I'd say Mattie has enough to worry about without Boards !

Seriously though last minute issues coming up can be dynamite leaving candidates no time to respond.

Very true. Although you can be damn sure Mattie and the rest of them have supporters posting all over social media including boards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

According to the 9oclock news the election may go ahead in Tipperary after all. Something to do with the Constitution requiring an election to be held within 30 days of the Dail being dissolved and if Tipperary doesn't go ahead it calls the whole election into question. It's with the AG at the moment for an urgent decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

touts wrote: »
    According to the 9oclock news the election may go ahead in Tipperary after all. Something to do with the Constitution requiring an election to be held within 30 days of the Dail being dissolved and if Tipperary doesn't go ahead it calls the whole election into question. It's with the AG at the moment for an urgent decision.
    at least someone had the balls to question the whole farce.was not a word from the likes of the 3 goons debating tonight who wouldn't know where tipp even was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

hawkwing wrote: »
    at least someone had the balls to question the whole farce.was not a word from the likes of the 3 goons debating tonight who wouldn't know where tipp even was.

Mary Lou has relations in the glen of aherlow and often visits the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She also calls to Nenagh when she's passing

Mary Lou has relations in the glen of aherlow and often visits the place
    Actually I think I spotted her spreading dung with Leo and MM there recently alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

no word yet as to whether or not the voting is on saturday or not.

jem wrote: »
    no word yet as to whether or not the voting is on saturday or not.
    Nobody has a clue what is going on and the top dogs don't care.If it was in Dublin West or Cork City we would know. Time for an independence referendum of our own at this stage:confused: Tippexit!

Electoral staff in Tipperary have been told in the last few minutes that the General Election vote there will go ahead on Saturday.

This follows extensive legal consultation in the office of the Attorney General in the last 24 hours.

An official announcement by the Department of Housing and Local Government is expected very soon.

RTE News on Twitter.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Will people still be able to vote for the deceased candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Will people still be able to vote for the deceased candidate?

People will if she's still on the ballot paper. Probably won't be a spoilt vote but will go to the next preference on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Dymo wrote: »
    People will if she's still on the ballot paper. Probably won't be a spoilt vote but will go to the next preference on the paper.

Surely they’ll stick a sticker over her or something?

jlm29 wrote: »
    Surely they’ll stick a sticker over her or something?

I wouldnt think so due to the postal ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I can't help but wonder if one of the main parties were missing a candidate what would happen.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I can't help but wonder if one of the main parties were missing a candidate what would happen.

An early bi election would be the sensible solution.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

sligojoek wrote: »

Not to see Seamie Morris anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

There must have been a reason it was enacted in the 1992 legislation, presumably by one of the main parties.

sligojoek wrote: »

Wouldn't say she'd be too welcome there after the way SF treated Seamie Morris.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There'll be no stickers on the ballot. As Ms Skehan is on the ballot, she can still be elected.

If she is elected, a new by-election for that single seat will be held within 6 months (though probably sooner), after a writ is moved by the Minister of the new Government.

What is happening now is the correct outcome. The substance of Mattie McGrath's court challenge is right, if Tipp had been delayed it would not have taken place within the required timescale of the writ for the election and could have jeopardised the whole election nationwide.

May the deceased RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭golfball37

There are different rules depending on whether you are in a party or an Independent who passes away during a campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

golfball37 wrote: »
    There are different rules depending on whether you are in a party or an Independent who passes away during a campaign.

That’s fair enough, but If it was one of the independents who is almost definitely going to win back their seat, and who have children who are also in politics, you can be sure they’d also want the chance to get their machine behind their offspring to get them elected. I’d say the outcome would definitely have been different.
    But I’m not complaining, I’m quite happy to have it done and dusted at the weekend!

No mention of political parties in the law

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/act/23/section/62/enacted/en/html#sec62

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

No there isn't :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Wonder will the late Mrs Skehans vote be affected up or down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I would’ve given her number 2. Now I’ll give her the number 1 as a mark of respect. She was a carer for one of my neighbours back in the 1990s. R.I.P Marese.

oK final day before voting.
    Im hearing that mattie may pass lowry for no1 spot.
    hearing cahil not as well liked in thurles or faming community as last time but smith not in the race helps him
    likewise healy down with ahern fg up
    Sandra farrell and harrington will be interesting. both should take votes around nenagh area and the big question is from whom and will they go back to nenagh or ( in farrells case go to FF running mates )

the unknown is how well will s f do and whether it will transfer to healy to keep him

My final guess is 2 ind, 1 ff, 1 lab and 1 fg ( with maybe a few recounts for last seat with healy)

A late night letter from Cahill appeared in the hall, must be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A late night letter from Cahill appeared in the hall, must be worried.

Got one this morning too hand written address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Paddy Power going Ahearn 4/6 to take the last seat with Healy,Goldsboro,Hannigan at joint 2/1 for it,Browne 3/1 and 16/1 after that.

Advertisement