Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I'm hearing it'll be well over 2 weeks. So the whole country could be waiting on the outcome of the Tipperary vote and the other counties will be in to "help" with canvassing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She was an independent so it shouldn’t make any difference
    It's down to the postponement, not her dying, so nominations will have to be reopened. RIP to the lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

RTE reporting on news that we won't be voting in Tipperary on Saturday due to sudden death of Marie Skehan (RIP). I missed the full explanation as to why but the correspondent was saying it could be as much as a week later before we vote.

It would take at least that long to rearrange it, the people in the voting booths would have to be asked again if they're available, thousands of ballot papers will have to reissued.

I've already voted using my postal vote and I'll have to do that again.

Highly unethical but it would be possible to cover her part if the ballot paper with a sticker if they didn't want to re-issue papers.

I think by law when a candidate dies they have to reopen nominations

julyjane wrote: »
    I think by law when a candidate dies they have to reopen nominations

I thought that only applied when the deceased candidate was representing a political party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I thought that only applied when the deceased candidate was representing a political party.

Well whatever it is, the Returning Officer is reopening nominations to allow her support nominate a replacement should they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dymo wrote: »

Highly unethical but it would be possible to cover her part if the ballot paper with a sticker if they didn't want to re-issue papers.

200,000 ballot papers tightly bound? Not possible at all.

That's fair enough IMO. I don't know much about Marese Skehan, RIP, but other candidates are independent and if they died their supporters would want to run someone else after all the canvassing

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Well whatever it is, the Returning Officer is reopening nominations to allow her support nominate a replacement should they want.

Thanks for that. It’s getting more interesting by the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What a horrible way to go, falling down the stairs and breaking their neck :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It throws a whole new light on the constituency now. EG if after next Saturday FF do really well then voters in Tipp are hardly going to vote FG or vice versa. Similarly if Independents look like holding the balance of power after Saturday then independents should do very well in Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

How did they ever think this up. It's a ludicrous practice.

The Tipperary Returning Officer, James Seymour, has this evening formally countermanded the #ge2020 poll to be taken in Tipperary this weekend, following the sudden passing of independent candidate Marese Skehan.

He confirms a new date for polling will be set by Eoghan Murphy.

Well I hope he sets it while he's still minister. If he doesn't then would it be a possibility that we have to wait until we have a new minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Could some defeated candidates from other constituencies throw their hat in the ring to keep their name in the public eye. For example could Peter Casey to throw in a nomination form. Or could Sinn Fein decide to run a candidate that actually stood a chance. Maybe Gerry Adams could be talked out of retirement.

Or with local polls now factored in could parties change their line up. For example local polls are showing that FG are splitting their vote and won't take a seat. So could Gareth Ahern be dropped from the ballot paper and they run just Kate O'Connell's sister. Or could FF dump Farrell to protect Cahill in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

touts wrote: »
    Could some defeated candidates from other constituencies throw their hat in the ring to keep their name in the public eye. For example could Peter Casey to throw in a nomination form. Or could Sinn Fein decide to run a candidate that actually stood a chance. Maybe Gerry Adams could be talked out of retirement.

Or with local polls now factored in could parties change their line up. For example local polls are showing that FG are splitting their vote and won't take a seat. So could Gareth Ahern be dropped from the ballot paper and they run just Kate O'Connell's sister. Or could FF dump Farrell to protect Cahill in the North.

You know her name. It’s easier type Mary Newman than Kate o Connells sister....she hasn’t a prayer anyway. Madness from fg running 2 candidates

julyjane wrote: »
    Well I hope he sets it while he's still minister. If he doesn't then would it be a possibility that we have to wait until we have a new minister?

He’s still minister until new government is sworn in, even if he’s not re elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

HSE management say they are “very concerned” with claims made about the development of a 40-bed unit in Roscrea.

Independent General Election candidate Michael Lowry says that plans have been drawn up for a public nursing home, but the HSE say they have not received any such proposal.

Addressing a public meeting in Roscrea over the weekend, deputy Lowry said that plans have been drawn up for a proposed new 40 bed public nursing home at the former Malt House site, adjacent to an approved new Primary Care Centre.

HSE Mid West Community Healthcare have issued a statement today however, saying they’ve had no formal discussions and have not received any proposal from any developer.

The HSE’s Estates Division says that existing plans for a primary care centre at the former Malt House site in Roscrea does not include plans for a new community nursing unit.

Deputy Lowry says he presented a suggestion to the developer of the site to include a public residential home for the elderly, a request which he says was taken on board.

HSE Mid West Community Healthcare Chief Officer Maria Bridgeman says the HSE is “very surprised to hear such claims” and “categorically refutes them.”

Surprised no one has called Kelly out requesting for the actual response from the HSE Headed and signed. Rather than a typed letter made to appear like it came from the HSE. Lowry is guaranteed his seat without the people of Roscrea giving him a single vote and would have no reason to deceive people.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/media/pressrel/
    Nothing mentioned there

Alan Kelly has a history of this though. The same company in Thurles AQS/Acorn apparently creating jobs in 2011 and 2016 but employing the exact same number of people already In both press releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Surprised no one has called Kelly out requesting for the actual response from the HSE Headed and signed. Rather than a typed letter made to appear like it came from the HSE. Lowry is guaranteed his seat without the people of Roscrea giving him a single vote and would have no reason to deceive people.

Nothing mentioned there

Alan Kelly has a history of this though. The same company in Thurles AQS/Acorn apparently creating jobs in 2011 and 2016 but employing the exact same number of people already In both press releases.

I had forgotten the specifics about that Thurles AQS/Acorn scenario was talking to someone about it the otherday and could not forthe life of me remember where it was.

Was thinking when i read about HSE statement earlier that it seemed strange for Lowry to make such mistake in that he has very little to gain... (I know, I know, votes! But he's a likely poll topper anyway)

AK really on the attack against Lowry....considering his own record of over promising and under delivering it's a bit rich. His campaign reeks of desperation...even his new posters.... "retain your local TD" as if we would have no representation without him.

• Advertisement

Nothing mentioned there

That press release was sent in to Tipp FM today,jduring the debate...It was read out on air..

That press release was sent in to Tipp FM today,jduring the debate...It was read out on air..

And had Lowry said it was already HSE approved? I don't know as didnt hear his original pledge/comments.

AK, for example, announced (and reannounced) Hydro Station coming to Silvermines. No planning permission applied for, let alone approved of yet. (Although is getting some sort of EU approval which is good but no guarantee of anything) And this is in an area of high environmental concern where previous minework damage to the local environment has yet to be remedied. No guarantee at all that the project will come to fruition, but lots of projected figures about jobs etc.

What I'm asking is, were Lowry's comments/promises any less concrete than AKs?

And had Lowry said it was already HSE approved? I don't know as didnt hear his original pledge/comments.

AK, for example, announced (and reannounced) Hydro Station coming to Silvermines. No planning permission applied for, let alone approved of yet. (Although is getting some sort of EU approval which is good but no guarantee of anything) And this is in an area of high environmental concern where previous minework damage to the local environment has yet to be remedied. No guarantee at all that the project will come to fruition, but lots of projected figures about jobs etc.

What I'm asking is, were Lowry's comments/promises any less concrete than AKs?

I just listened back to what Lowry said when the press release was read out..He said the HSE were in discussions with the developer,and the developer would deliver...If you want to listen,its just at the very end of the debate podcast....

I just listened back to what Lowry said when the press release was read out..He said the HSE were in discussions with the developer,and the developer would deliver...If you want to listen,its just at the very end of the debate podcast....

Grand will do. Thanks a million.

Poor Michael Lowry. All he ever did wrong was pay too much tax in 2006.

Seems to be much ado about nothing re Lowry? He basically said he had the conversation/was pushing the case for the 40bed unit and HSE said nothing official decided yet.... is that not the same as any other political promise by a politician in this country ever? Or have i missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

Seems to be much ado about nothing re Lowry? He basically said he had the conversation/was pushing the case for the 40bed unit and HSE said nothing official decided yet.... is that not the same as any other political promise by a politician in this country ever? Or have i missed something?

Yes you are missing something. He said at Roscrea public meeting that there had ben detailed discussions with HSE and that there was agreement and taht it would happen. Apparently there had been no discussions with HSE at all .

jem wrote: »
    Yes you are missing something. He said at Roscrea public meeting that there had ben detailed discussions with HSE and that there was agreement and taht it would happen. Apparently there had been no discussions with HSE at all .

Ok, thanks for that. I stand corrected. That's different, if he actually said he had discussions with the HSE that never happened it's not excusable.

Be interesting to see what influence the changed voting date in Tipperary has on people's preferences, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ok, thanks for that. I stand corrected. That's different, if he actually said he had discussions with the HSE that never happened it's not excusable.

Be interesting to see what influence the changed voting date in Tipperary has on people's preferences, if any.

It gives him more time to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

elperello wrote: »
    It gives him more time to clarify.

Well said. ..Mattie.

Advertisement