Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

We’ll soon find out, she’s just been eliminated. My guessing is that there won’t be as much as we’d expect going to him, my taking if it is that she was a bit pissed off with him getting a bit more support than her so can’t see her having pushed hard for her supporters to give him the no.2

He got just 197 from her !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

hblock21 wrote: »
    He got just 197 from her !!

he got over 3.5k according to tipp live?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Choc Chip wrote: »
    he got over 3.5k according to tipp live?

He definitely got that much looking at the RTÉ website. There’s around 1500 between him and Browne now, but Healy eliminated. I would guess that healys transfers would get Mattie across the line, and probably be good to Browne also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Mattie and Browne are in

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean how one constituency can elect both Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowry is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I mean how one constituency can elect both Mattie McGrath and Michael Lowry is beyond me.

Their so crooked their straight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Are you basing this on the work they do in the community?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I guess that leaves AK as the only real statesman in Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Expunge wrote: »
    True enough.
    (except maybe in the case of Sinn Fein this time, a wheelie bin with a SF sticker on it would have done well in most constituencies)

In this case a wheelie bin would be more useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

In this case a wheelie bin would be more useful!

Consdiering your political 'analysis' and insight over the last few days, I think I'll judge the man on what he does in his elected term, god knows enough FG/FF stooges have been given the opportunity. Of the three candidates elected to date he certainly has the cleanest copy book before he starts!

• Advertisement

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Consdiering your political 'analysis' and insight over the last few days, I think I'll judge the man on what he does in his elected term, god knows enough FG/FF stooges have been given the opportunity. Of the three candidates elected to date he certainly has the cleanest copy book before he starts!

Apart from organising a few darts tournaments what has he ever done?
    He is unemployed in an era of full employment and couldn't even get elected to the County Council !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

He is unemployed in an era of full employment and couldn't even get elected to the County Council !

He got the mention of the darts in there on his radio interview! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Lost sight of things for a few hours. Is it the surplus votes being redistributed at the moment?

Lost sight of things for a few hours. Is it the surplus votes being redistributed at the moment?

Yes. 1495 from Mattie as it can still get a candidate over the line.

But it's as good as over now with Cahill and Kelly following Lowry, Mattie and Browne in.

2nd Seat: Mattie 15127
    3rd Seat: Browne 14046

Kelly 12773
    Cahill 12535
    Ahearn 11086

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

shmeee wrote: »
    Yes. 1495 from Mattie as it can still get a candidate over the line.

But it's as good as over now with Cahill and Kelly following Lowry, Mattie and Browne in.

2nd Seat: Mattie 15127
    3rd Seat: Browne 14046

Kelly 12773
    Cahill 12535
    Ahearn 11086

And even though the top 5 are clear would candidate 6's (Aherne's) votes be redistributed just for the sake of deciding order of seats gained?

He was elected to the Council and served there for 5 years before the election last May, please don't comment on something you clearly know nothing about.

And even though the top 5 are clear would candidate 6's (Aherne's) votes be redistributed just for the sake of deciding order of seats gained?

No.

Final count and Kelly and Cahill get in 4th and 5th therefore.

Count 9:

A Kelly 449 (13,222)
    J Cahill 404 (12,939)
    G Ahearn 413 (11,499)

He was elected to the Council and served there for 5 years before the election last May, please don't comment on something you clearly know nothing about.

And then what, took a break from work for 7 months because he was exhausted!

Again it is clear you have no idea who he is or what he does so please stop digging. He lost his seat last may, as did 78 Sinn Fein councillors, unlike other parties they actually took notice of this and went about addressing it, but that's another days work! So Martin who is 55 and has a grown up family decided to take a step back and became what you might call a public activist, he has been invloved with Homeless Ireland, TUI, Focus Ireland etc.

He first came to my attention about ten years ago when he was Mayor of Cashel and he became the first elected Sinn Fein member to officialy meet with the Queen and welcome here to Cashel when She came to visit the Rock of Cashel, he is a very good example of a progessive Sinn Fein.

The fact that the person wo topped the poll is a convicted criminal and you feel the need to cast aspertions over a man you clearly know nothing about says it all really.

Martin Browne in 2018 on his Council Job when asked about the rate of pay:

“..On my own behalf I’d welcome an increase, as I depend solely on the income from the council. I think an increase up to maybe €500pw would reflect the hours which Cllr’s put into doing their work. In my opinion it would help level the field for all Cllr’s.

It needs to be clarified if Cllr’s would now be classed as in a full time and what that would entail as far as social welfare and pensions are concerned. I accept that while it would suit me and my circumstances it probably won’t suit anyone who is in full time employment at present.

With this rise if it comes there needs to be a change in the attitude of some people who are not very good time keepers, if it’s a full time job cllrs will have to clock in at meetings and stay for the full meeting, if it comes in the allowance for been chair of the full or plenary councils and some of the SPCs should be done away with.”

Over 100k a year salary on route now!!!

• Advertisement

shmeee wrote: »

Over 100k a year salary on route now!!!

Begod Sinn Fein are the most affective party in the history of the state so, not 24 hours after the election and not in government yet and they have increased the average industrial wage to 100K, good going to be fair!

Again it is clear you have no idea who he is or what he does so please stop digging. He lost his seat last may, as did 78 Sinn Fein councillors, unlike other parties they actually took notice of this and went about addressing it, but that's another days work! So Martin who is 55 and has a grown up family decided to take a step back and became what you might call a public activist, he has been invloved with Homeless Ireland, TUI, Focus Ireland etc.

He first came to my attention about ten years ago when he was Mayor of Cashel and he became the first elected Sinn Fein member to officialy meet with the Queen and welcome here to Cashel when She came to visit the Rock of Cashel, he is a very good example of a progessive Sinn Fein.

The fact that the person wo topped the poll is a convicted criminal and you feel the need to cast aspertions over a man you clearly know nothing about says it all really.

Glowing testament there from you. Although maybe you should check out what his former SF colleague Seamie Morris thinks of him.

Begod Sinn Fein are the most affective party in the history of the state so, not 24 hours after the election and not in government yet and they have increased the average industrial wage to 100K, good going to be fair!

Will Martin take the full lot or be happy with the 40k like SF want you to do and donate the rest to help the party.

Dessie Ellis took hand and all, didn't give back a crumb even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

He protested when the queen visited Cashel. Confirmed this on Tipp FM today

It was Michael Browne who met the queen

Glowing testament there from you. Although maybe you should check out what his former SF colleague Seamie Morris thinks of him.

Seamie who was thrown out of the party? No thanks I'll see what the 10,000 plus who voted for him think after his term is served, could be a complete disaster or could be a breath of fresh air - that's the beaut of democracy, but to declare that, efore he has even taken up office, heis less useful than a wheelie bin is the type of point scoring, thrash politics that FF/FG tried against SF for the last few weeks and failed miserably.

He protested when the queen visited Cashel. Confirmed this on Tipp FM today

That was his brother, pleny of pictures of him and Alan Kelly greeting her and Prince Philip at the Rock, google it!

That was his brother, pleny of pictures of him and Alan Kelly greeting her and Prince Philip at the Rock, google it!

I googled it and found

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/your-community/121110/Death-of-former-Sinn-Fein-mayor.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sf-mayor-takes-the-hand-of-royalty-26735408.html
    "During the visit a small Sinn Fein protest -- led by Mr Browne's brother, Martin Browne -- was held in the town".

Seamie who was thrown out of the party? No thanks I'll see what the 10,000 plus who voted for him think after his term is served, could be a complete disaster or could be a breath of fresh air - that's the beaut of democracy, but to declare that, efore he has even taken up office, heis less useful than a wheelie bin is the type of point scoring, thrash politics that FF/FG tried against SF for the last few weeks and failed miserably.
    Judging by the way SF are already quaking at the prospect of being in government and having to be responsible for Health, Housing etc I’d say it might not be long before Martin has to go again!

Judging by the way SF are already quaking at the prospect of being in government and having to be responsible for Health, Housing etc I’d say it might not be long before Martin has to go again!
    could you elaborate, i have not heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

He wasn’t elected he is now as a td but don’t know how anyone outside sf can say the vote was for the party not the candidate ,this will have been repeated many times around the country .they got in now let’s see how they do with the reality of power and running a country I snd lots of others will be watching on to see will they follow thru on all there promises .lots of foreign multi nationals and doctors I’d say will be looking for an out

Advertisement