Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

While we're in the business of innuendos about the panel from anonymous internet people . . . :p I was talking to someone close to the panel on Sunday and he said everything over the last few months has been designed to peak at the beginning of September. You could argue that that's blarney, but the matter-of-fact way he said it was like rocket fuel for me. The League certainly suggested there was something to it. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Really disappointed with the rumours being posted up here. These guys give of their time for free, spreading stories about lads who bust their balls is not on and beneath the spirit of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nexusg

Really disappointed with the rumours being posted up here. These guys give of their time for free, spreading stories about lads who bust their balls is not on and beneath the spirit of this thread.

Fully agree, people don't show respect and appreciation for our players and management. What about the months of sacrifice they put in for the county. I'm really proud of this group of players, the level of maturity they are showing at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Nobody is questioning the players commitment and sacrifices but all i am questioning is the double standards. Do not shove your heads in the sand because all is forgiven over our league success. Do you honestly believe that all the players are in support of the non-action? Ye all couldn't be that naive! I certainly won't stop criticising if i see fit and will not be dictated to by private messages either! Because we're having a successful year everyone wants to brush things under the carpet but if we haven't been as successful would it be ok to discuss it on here then? Christ we had enough of that under Bertie Aherne!
    Il be accused of having a personal vendetta against McGrath(which couldn't be further from the truth) but could you answer me this- What about all the players that have made the same sacrifices and commitments and see the double standards being handed out,what do we say to them?- Thanks lads for all the effort all year and ye are great for making up the second 15 but ye'll never see action with the first team because we don't really rate ye and have our favourite players no matter what?
    Its a discussion board and that means the positive and negative aspects of what is happening is entitled to be discussed.
    Please do not be so condescending and insult my knowledge of what's really going on. I am well aware of the difference between rumours,lies, and the actual truth. I'm well positioned to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

cul beag wrote: »
    Nobody is questioning the players commitment and sacrifices but all i am questioning is the double standards. Do not shove your heads in the sand because all is forgiven over our league success. Do you honestly believe that all the players are in support of the non-action? Ye all couldn't be that naive! I certainly won't stop criticising if i see fit and will not be dictated to by private messages either! Because we're having a successful year everyone wants to brush things under the carpet but if we haven't been as successful would it be ok to discuss it on here then? Christ we had enough of that under Bertie Aherne!
    Il be accused of having a personal vendetta against McGrath(which couldn't be further from the truth) but could you answer me this- What about all the players that have made the same sacrifices and commitments and see the double standards being handed out,what do we say to them?- Thanks lads for all the effort all year and ye are great for making up the second 15 but ye'll never see action with the first team because we don't really rate ye and have our favourite players no matter what?
    Its a discussion board and that means the positive and negative aspects of what is happening is entitled to be discussed.
    Please do not be so condescending and insult my knowledge of what's really going on. I am well aware of the difference between rumours,lies, and the actual truth. I'm well positioned to know.

Fair enough but the problem here is do you know the full story. Like for instance why the player in question did this. Is he having problems like suffering from depression etc. Unless you know 100% of whats going on i don't think it should be talked about here. These players aren't robots their human beings who are going to make mistakes. If he learns from his mistake he deserves a second chance IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cul Beag I'm not saying you're wrong on this occasion, but you did say Shane O Sullivan was going to be our new captain before. I would not be dismayed over people being sceptical about rumours at all. If you've an issue with management maybe you need to take it up with them altogether rather than making an insinuation here. What good does it actually do?

Admittedly, I know where you are coming from if an individual is taking liberties another player wouldn't be afforded it does beg questions but these are internal matters at the end of the day. I think last year management deserved criticism but also deserved the chance they got this year. So far they seem to have done quite well so Id be willing to allow for their judgment being best right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Have admit this site is really depressing me at the minute. We've just had possibly one of the best 2 weeks of club championship we've had in recent memory. With some of the so called bigger teams like Mt Sion, De La Salle and Lismore all being beaten. Yet instead of talking about this and how the feel good factor in Waterford hurling has carried on into the club scene all fellas can talk about are rumours about drinking. Is this a gossip page or a fan discussion thread on Waterford Hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Great display by Thomas Connors against us last weekend. Passage were full value for their win and in all honesty we were very poor. On the plus side it was good to see Ryan Donnelly get some game time but it was obvious he has been out for so long as he unfortunately had little impact. From a Dungarvan perspective i would be hoping it is the shock that's needed to kick start out season because in all honesty we have been poor in the first 2 games. This group has really opened up and with Roanmore and Cappoquin both winning it will make for some interesting games in the remaining fixtures.
    Our u21's had a good workout against Limerick on Monday night in Carriganore. While losing by 2 points it was the first time that the senior contingent and the rest of the squad came together with the senior players playing different halves while never having our strongest 15 out together if ye can follow all that!
    It is a frightening prospect the strength of that panel but then how many times have we said that in recent years? Fingers crossed we get passed Cork at this grade but above in Pairc ui Rinn will be a tough task.

U21 team was
    Seanie Barry
    Conor Gleeson
    Kieran Bennett
    Mark McNulty
    Aussie Gleeson
    Tadgh de Burca
    Mark O Brien
    Tom Devine
    Cathal Curran
    Colin Dunford
    Michael Harney
    Barry O Sullivan
    David Walsh
    DJ Foran
    Paddy Curran

Finished 2-14 to 22pts to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

archieknox wrote: »
    Great display by Thomas Connors against us last weekend. Passage were full value for their win and in all honesty we were very poor. On the plus side it was good to see Ryan Donnelly get some game time but it was obvious he has been out for so long as he unfortunately had little impact. From a Dungarvan perspective i would be hoping it is the shock that's needed to kick start out season because in all honesty we have been poor in the first 2 games. This group has really opened up and with Roanmore and Cappoquin both winning it will make for some interesting games in the remaining fixtures.

Didn't see it but a game and would have love to have, two good young teams. This could be an important year for Dungarvan, they really need to push on to the next level. How did Patrick Curran, the other Currans and Lyons go? It's refreshing to see so many young players stamp their authority on senior games.

Waternut wrote: »
    Didn't see it but a game and would have love to have, two good young teams. This could be an important year for Dungarvan, they really need to push on to the next level. How did Patrick Curran, the other Currans and Lyons go? It's refreshing to see so many young players stamp their authority on senior games.

Only fair to be honest,none of the lads stood out and as i said earlier we could have no complaints Passage were thoroughly deserving winners. Our attitude was inept and looked like we didn't pay our opponents the proper respect and we paid the price.
    l agree with you the pressure is on now to push to the next level and what a game we have next against Mt.Sion it will let us know where we're at.
    I went to the Cappoquin v Lismore game and must say great credit is due to the victors. Again it looked like when Lismore led by 5-6 points that they would run out easy winners but they collapsed when Maurice went off. I must give a mention to the cappoquin forwards in the second half namely Molumphy, Sullivan and O Rourke, they thundered into the game when they were needed and Lismore had no answer to them. John Prendergast and Ray Barry were the only 2 that performed well for the losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford's motivational coach will be away from the team for the cork game due to taking part in a charity marathon. That could be a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Waterford's motivational coach will be away from the team for the cork game due to taking part in a charity marathon. That could be a factor

What's a motivational coach and what exactly does he do on match day that cant be done that week?

What's a motivational coach and what exactly does he do on match day that cant be done that week?
    not sure but I'd say he prob talks to each player and motivates them or he reads motivational poems and stories to the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

not sure but I'd say he prob talks to each player and motivates them or he reads motivational poems and stories to the team

Sure he probably reads a selection of your posts to them PTH. Bound to motivate any player...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

reads motivational poems or stories haha

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I laughs at almost every single post you write PTH2009. Its amazing lads still react to you.

Enda Doherty is the motivational guy working with the senior hurlers he is a teacher in De La Salle College and anyone around the city might have seen him,he's the guy walking around with a washing machine on his back for Pieta house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Did you ever think of getting into Motivational speaking yourself? Everyone has a career that got lost on them maybe that's yours....

Did you ever think of getting into Motivational speaking yourself? Everyone has a career that got lost on them maybe that's yours....

Yeah I'd win them an all ireland. I've been through a lot lifewise.I always hope for the best for Waterford even though negative. Up the deise.

Yeah I'd win them an all ireland. I've been through a lot lifewise.I always hope for the best for Waterford even though negative. Up the deise.

I know. weve crossed paths before, I’ve been on this board as long as you have albeit under different names so we’ve had some banter over the years. Keep barring myself from this board but keep coming back through my gra for all things deise. Live far away from home so not many people to talk deise GAA and have banter with where I am. Thanks for keeping us entertained anyway we know no one will ever get carried away with success on here while you’re around! Definetly wouldn’t be the same without you!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Gardner

I laughs at almost every single post you write PTH2009. Its amazing lads still react to you.

Enda Doherty is the motivational guy working with the senior hurlers he is a teacher in De La Salle College and anyone around the city might have seen him,he's the guy walking around with a washing machine on his back for Pieta house.

holy sweet divine **** if Enda Doherty is motivational speaker. anyone that knows him or was in his class will tell you there is no way this man could be in this position.
    im actually not going to get into an argument over it but i thought his capacity was to carry hurleys been honest...... im actually gob smacked at this present time.......

Gardner wrote: »
    holy sweet divine **** if Enda Doherty is motivational speaker. anyone that knows him or was in his class will tell you there is no way this man could be in this position.
    im actually not going to get into an argument over it but i thought his capacity was to carry hurleys been honest...... im actually gob smacked at this present time.......

With whom or Why would you get into argument over it? I'm just telling you as it is.

In all seriousness, what does a motivational coach do? Instinctively I'm thinking that if you need 'motivation' to play for your kownty then you shouldn't be playing. I'm sure it's a bit more subtle than that though, right?

Sounds like a token role, surprised this has gained any response

Sounds like a token role, surprised this has gained any response

I'm surprised you're surprised ;)

deiseach wrote: »
    In all seriousness, what does a motivational coach do? Instinctively I'm thinking that if you need 'motivation' to play for your kownty then you shouldn't be playing. I'm sure it's a bit more subtle than that though, right?
    Let's not get into a discussion about a motivational coach, I've a feeling this is all PTH's evil plot or something.
    Anyway the guy's role would be to deal with players who are under a lot of pressure to perform, maybe they're in a bad run of form and are low in confidence. It happens every player at some stage where he's not playing great and he starts to question his ability....that motivational guy's responsibility is to identify the issue, find a solution to transform their attitude. Finito!!

Ye looking forward to the start of the hurling Sunday? I can't wait, nothing better than going to mass on a Sunday, big plate of dinner afterwards and then seeing the Sunday game just about to begin

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Let's not get into a discussion about a motivational coach, I've a feeling this is all PTH's evil plot or something. ... Finito!!

You're right. Moving swiftly along...
    Ye looking forward to the start of the hurling Sunday? I can't wait, nothing better than going to mass on a Sunday, big plate of dinner afterwards and then seeing the Sunday game just about to begin

Funnily enough I'm not that bothered. If Waterford are not involved, I can take it or leave it.

Let's not get into a discussion about a motivational coach, I've a feeling this is all PTH's evil plot or something.
    Anyway the guy's role would be to deal with players who are under a lot of pressure to perform, maybe they're in a bad run of form and are low in confidence. It happens every player at some stage where he's not playing great and he starts to question his ability....that motivational guy's responsibility is to identify the issue, find a solution to transform their attitude. Finito!!

Added to the fact so many are doing exams and so much training for college club & County.

Cant wait for the game the weekend being a hurling man you'd be crazy if you weren't looking forward to Munster Championship, summer is finally here

Cant wait for the game the weekend being a hurling man you'd be crazy if you weren't looking forward to Munster Championship, summer is finally here

I must not be a hurling man then. Once upon a time I followed every game slavishly. But that was a time when Waterford's only contribution was to get walloped out the gate. Those days can go to hell.

deiseach wrote: »
    I must not be a hurling man then. Once upon a time I followed every game slavishly. But that was a time when Waterford's only contribution was to get walloped out the gate. Those days can go to hell.
    That's 20 years ago lad. The All Ireland is now competitive as ever, flick on channel 102 for 20mins on Sunday and see what you think

• Advertisement

Added to the fact so many are doing exams and so much training for college club & County.

You fancy Limerick or Clare? Seems to be fellas dropping falling left right and centre in the Clare panel, I'll go for Limerick by 2

That's 20 years ago lad. The All Ireland is now competitive as ever, flick on channel 102 for 20mins on Sunday and see what you think

I'll have it on. But if the weather is good, I'll be out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

Can I ask what people make of a benefit match for Pauric Mahony?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Kkid wrote: »

If I'm being honest it is a bit OTT. Obviously its a tough break for the lad but in the end of the day it is only a broken leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

Thanks MUFC91CS, not everyday I agree with a united supporter. As a KK man I was surprised by the move. Its not like he'll never hurl again. Looking forward to the real start of the championship next weekend, Munster Hurling at it finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

While agreeing with the sentiment of being seen to support a lad who has just had a potentially serious set back of a year on his career path, i would have to be concerned about the impact on others. As i have said recently we as a county have had a really unlucky run of bad injuries, including Stephen Daniels, Eddie Barrett, Philip Mahony, Martin O'Neill etc, Maybe I am wrong but I do not remember anything being done for these lads and this being the case what makes any of them any different?

What I would like to see looked at, is that once or twice a year, benefit games are played between counties whereby each county can build a separate injury fund from the proceeds of the games and that can be used to create a specific fund to assist those who end up in financial difficulty because of suffering an injury while representing their county . I realize this could be difficult to handle and county boards might be tempted to dip in to the fund from time to time, but i think it is certainly something worth looking into.

You fancy Limerick or Clare? Seems to be fellas dropping falling left right and centre in the Clare panel, I'll go for Limerick by 2

Hard to pick a winner in my eyes Clare have the players but whether davy has them remains to be seen, Limerick love to be written off as underdogs and hate to seen as favourites which they are for tbis game.
    I'll say Clare to win -2pts @ 15/8

While i personally feel sorry for Paudie as he was having a tremendous year i think this is way over the top. At what stage do we decide where to stop these benefit games? What happens if the same injury occurred during a junior B game what then? Or any club game for that matter? That's why all these players are insured to cover these injuries. The cynic in me says the Pieta House is the deal breaker! Great cause and the work they do is fantastic but i would imagine they're included in the deal so as not to make it look as bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I can't wait, nothing better than going to mass on a Sunday, big plate of dinner afterwards and then seeing the Sunday game just about to begin

With the hurling game starting at 4 pm, you must be going to a very late mass or have a really big plate of dinner (or both).

• Advertisement

Giveitfong wrote: »
    With the hurling game starting at 4 pm, you must be going to a very late mass or have a really big plate of dinner (or both).
    I know but you could stay at mass until 12:45, get home and have dinner, listening to the Sunday game theme tune, nothing better! The big plate of dinner helps me have a quick nap during the Ulster football and then ready for action at 3:30!

Giveitfong wrote: »

Don't wreck the D'Unbelievables vibe. "No tay, no wash up, straight out the door! I'd say we'll be at the match about...five ta".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Can someone clear this up for me: Paudie, Padraig or Pauric Mahony?

Also, can someone explain the thing about teams aiming to reach peak performance/fitness at certain stages of the year? Is this just another myth? Surely a team can and should be at full fitness throughout the championship? Doesn't make sense why a team would purposely aim to be not at peak fitness during early championship when it could mean they get knocked out and not get the chance to play at that magical peak level.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Can someone clear this up for me: Paudie, Padraig or Pauric Mahony?

It's Pauric but most people call him Paudie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

archieknox wrote: »
    While i personally feel sorry for Paudie as he was having a tremendous year i think this is way over the top. At what stage do we decide where to stop these benefit games? What happens if the same injury occurred during a junior B game what then? Or any club game for that matter? That's why all these players are insured to cover these injuries. The cynic in me says the Pieta House is the deal breaker! Great cause and the work they do is fantastic but i would imagine they're included in the deal so as not to make it look as bad!
    I can see your points
    It's a tough one
    Colm o Neill or Gooch never had such games however tomas waters did for wexford and Jamie wall with more severe injury had also and were fully deserved imo
    Ken mcgrath when retired and fully deserved
    It's a tough call but at same time if I was around I'd go mahonry game support him but you valid points with club lads get same injuries

Do the County Board pay for his surgery anyway? They'd have this challenge anyway like so if this generates higher publicity and a bigger gate all the better.

I doubt its going to be the deal Kens challenge was last year. And Id imagine what ever funds are sent his way are only going to cover the operation. Wouldn't read too much into it.

• Advertisement

I wasn’t overly surprised when I saw it. There’s a lot of hype around the Waterford team at the moment and Paudies injury and it just goes to show that everyone wants to row in behind a winning team. If it was last year, 2 or 3 years ago would there have been a benefit match? not a hope. Is it OTT? Of course it is but so has been the reaction to Paudies injury. I suggested that here a few weeks back and I was a accused of being ‘more than a bit flippant’. And I stand by it. But more luck to Paudie, hes had a bad break and if people are willing to give up their time to organise this then good luck to him, I wouldn't begrudge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

It was Ballygunner who organised this match i think, maybe their thinking of sending him to one of those hyperbaric oxygen therapy things like professional athletes to speed up the healing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

It has been organised by the gunners.. So it isn't a Waterford Initiative..I guess you can see it as looking after one of its own.. I doubt the County board would have any input in it as it will no doubt be a disaster if they put their mitts on it..

Some people will always begrudge events like this purely out of Ignorance and jealousy cause my little Johnny didn't get the same treatment but maybe if their clubs respected their players with more initiatives like this then the club scene would be in a better place.

The guy will spend the rest of the year recovering from this and possibly a good sum of next year.. He Cant work for a good period of time and has to go back and sit final exams in the end of the summer so fair play to the club for trying to look after him..

If you don't like don't support it but don't moan on here about where this will lead.. I doubt it will lead anywhere but at least the club is forward thinking in trying to help a young player out..

On the 'leg break' Its the same injury as James Woodlock.. Have a look how long it took him to get back? Have a look at what type of injury it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I checked an article on the Woodlock injury and it stated it was a double leg break, with the leg 'smashed out of position'. It required surgery the next day with two nails. Pauric injury is reported as a 'clean break' which the surgery took place after two days requiring one nail. So hopefully from that it's not as bad as Woodlocks'. The other obvious reference is his brother Philip who was back in about 10 weeks. His injury did not require surgery and the leg was immediately set in plaster, aiding recovery.

I don't know how long Pauric will be out but a return for the end of the club championship is probably ambitious. If buying a ticket for this match helps in any way toward his rehab then I'll get one today

I'm reliably informed (the question being whether you think I am reliable) that he will make a full recovery. He won't play for at least five months, but when he does come back it will physically be as if it never happened.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement