Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seems like you have to register as an accessibility customer first in order to avail of the service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Was paying €65 a month with Sky for boradband and TV. This expired a few months ago and now paying €95 a month.

Rang today and they best they could offer is €75 a month. Seems a bit crap but don't want to go to the bother of cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Terpsichorean Master

I have a Sky engineer coming this week to install Sky Q in my parents' house and I was wondering if anyone has any advice wrt Hybrid LNBs etc?

They have the same ancient, original SD box since the initial installation twenty-odd years ago, so will that still work - or does it make a difference?

I asked about getting a Sky+ box instead, but Sky said on the phone that they don't supply them any more - and so we would've had to have paid to get a refurbished one, which we were not interested in doing. I know they certainly don't want to be in a situation where they can't watch any FTA TV, should they cancel their contract with Sky - and I find the fact that that's even possible, to be a really snide move by Sky tbh.

Also, how much does extra does/should multi-room cost with Sky Q? And can you watch different channels/programmes to what's being watched on the main box?

They've since gotten another TV and it could now be an option, depending on price.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I have a Sky engineer coming this week to install Sky Q in my parents' house and I was wondering if anyone has any advice wrt Hybrid LNBs etc?

They have the same ancient, original SD box since the initial installation twenty-odd years ago, so will that still work - or does it make a difference?

I asked about getting a Sky+ box instead, but Sky said on the phone that they don't supply them any more - and so we would've had to have paid to get a refurbished one, which we were not interested in doing. I know they certainly don't want to be in a situation where they can't watch any FTA TV, should they cancel their contract with Sky - and I find the fact that that's even possible, to be a really snide move by Sky tbh.

Also, how much does extra does/should multi-room cost with Sky Q? And can you watch different channels/programmes to what's being watched on the main box?

They've since gotten another TV and it could now be an option, depending on price.

Cheers.

Multi room is a disgraceful €19 extra I just saw it on their site. I've had multi room since day one (2010) and I've never ever paid them full price for it, never bloody will either!! The extra box is very neat and small, it connects to the main Q box wirelessly and you can watch whatever you like on it, recordings are stored on the Q box.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Multi room is a disgraceful €19 extra I just saw it on their site. I've had multi room since day one (2010) and I've never ever paid them full price for it, never bloody will either!! The extra box is very neat and small, it connects to the main Q box wirelessly and you can watch whatever you like on it, recordings are stored on the Q box.

And it's only £12 in the UK - which converts to a nowhere-near-19, €13.50; even at the current higher than usual post-Brexit rate. We really are getting relentlessly screwed here compared to the UK, all the same.

That sounds pretty simple and convenient - is there any extra installation/rental/ just-for-the-hell-of-it fee, aside from the monthly rate, do you know?

And it's only £12 in the UK - which converts to a nowhere-near-19, €13.50; even at the current higher than usual post-Brexit rate. We really are getting relentlessly screwed here compared to the UK, all the same.

That sounds pretty simple and convenient - is there any extra installation/rental/ just-for-the-hell-of-it fee, aside from the monthly rate, do you know?

I'm not sure if there's any installation fee, for me it says there's no one off charge but I think it's because I have multiroom already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

See post above #5896.

I'm not sure if there's any installation fee, for me it says there's no one off charge but I think it's because I have multiroom already.

Just out of curiosity - how did you check?

Just out of curiosity - how did you check?

I logged into the site and pretended I wanted to upgrade to Q.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭walshtipp

A family member ordered Sky Q a few weeks ago and it was scheduled to be installed today. The installer arrived this morning and said he wouldn't be coming into the house because of COVID rules and just left. He was not nice about it at all.

walshtipp wrote: »
    My family member ordered Sky Q a few weeks ago and it was scheduled to be installed today. The installer arrived this morning and said he wouldn't be coming into the house because of COVID rules and just left. He was not nice about it at all.

My daughter was due to get a fttc install today and he never showed up at all, bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Cancelled beg of January, I was on variety + HD + sports for €92 a month, got a text a few days ago offfering me 35% off the bundle for 12 months which I’m going to go for and then see what they will do for me to upgrade to SkyQ

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭paska

You don't need Sky! you only think you do. Trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Cancelled beg of January, I was on variety + HD + sports for €92 a month, got a text a few days ago offfering me 35% off the bundle for 12 months which I’m going to go for and then see what they will do for me to upgrade to SkyQ

So how long were u actually switched off before getting the offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just for info purposes for others on here, I cancelled Sky and was paying 32 a month for the basic package. Loyalty team rang me and offered 25 a month with extra channels (Discovery, Nat Geo, etc), refused that and they offered the same for 20 a month. Refused that too so I am now bill free, just have to get the Irish channels set up on a new box I have but am glad to be free of Sky.

So for anyone paying 32 a month for the basic channels you can get that down to 20 easily enough on a new 12 month contract.

Further update for anyone wondering, Sky sent me out a flat pack parcel box to send back the Sky Q box. It included a pre paid postage label so I sent it back today with the remote and power cable. They actually give you two months to send it back but I got it sorted immediately to ensure theres no further charges.

Happy out to have finally broken the cord with them, its pointless paying for channels you can get for free anyway. Different if you want sports or movies but I stream all them these days. Think Ive given them around 1,500 euro over the last 5 years just for the basic channels, it all adds up over time.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Further update for anyone wondering, Sky sent me out a flat pack parcel box to send back the Sky Q box. It included a pre paid postage label so I sent it back today with the remote and power cable. They actually give you two months to send it back but I got it sorted immediately to ensure theres no further charges.

Happy out to have finally broken the cord with them, its pointless paying for channels you can get for free anyway. Different if you want sports or movies but I stream all them these days. Think Ive given them around 1,500 euro over the last 5 years just for the basic channels, it all adds up over time.

What are you using now? Strongly thinking of going Freesat myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭lardarse

What are you using now? Strongly thinking of going Freesat myself.

I got sky recently mainly for BB.
    I still mainly watch the freesat as many channels are in HD there, which sky make you pay for, and seems a better quality of picture on my old humax for normal channels compared to sky

Masala wrote: »
    So how long were u actually switched off before getting the offer?

Wasn’t switched off, happened within the 31days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anytime get a cancellation offer on their broadband.

I don't mind if I lose the TV but would stay with the broadband if they gave a reasonable offer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I am cancelling sky today after 15+ years. Got a smart TV. Soarview + Freeview (dish) plus hard drive on TV and I have every channel I need. Just Netflix sub from now on. Can't wait to ring them today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

karltimber wrote: »
    I am cancelling sky today after 15+ years. Got a smart TV. Soarview + Freeview (dish) plus hard drive on TV and I have every channel I need. Just Netflix sub from now on. Can't wait to ring them today
    put a few hours aside for that call ! heavy going.....

Lets us know how u get on....

Sky cancelled. 17 min call.
    Gave me a great offer but No....kept my cool and said cancel please. Final bill next month and sky free.
    Used 1800 927476 to get them.

Gave me a great offer but No....kept my cool and said cancel please. Final bill next month and sky free.

Hate to ask.... but what was the offer...

I am about to get Sports, Movies and HD cut off 07 Feb - so would be interested in what they offering. PM if easier... much appreciated!

What did they offer? Just for my own curiosity if you don't mind telling. I found they've gotten very stingy the last few years.

I am about to get Sports, Movies and HD cut off 07 Feb - so would be interested in what they offering. PM if easier... much appreciated!

Hi only had a basic package at 46 so offer was for 26. But don't use or need it anymore.
    Kids don't watch TV outside of series/movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Hi I am in the same boat getting cut off Feb 6 same package as you when I was cancelling was offered 35% off for 6 months !

I refused unless they come back with a really good offer they will lose my business so many alternatives out there now !

Hi only had a basic package at 46 so offer was for 26. But don't use or need it anymore.
    Kids don't watch TV outside of series/movies.

I thought the starting base was 41? My discounts are finishing up bit by bit over the next few weeks (HD,Multiroom) but I'm in contract until May, think I'll pay the extra until May and then I'll have the power to cancel.

With smart TV, saorview, Freesat & Netflix, everything is covered. Only thing missing is series link, but so what. Glad I'm out of that. Can sign up for a single month on Disney or prime if I really need to watch anything special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I would cancel it, except for sports. I need BT and Sky Sports in my life;

• Advertisement

Can you get them on now tv? I never had sports.

Hi I am in the same boat getting cut off Feb 6 same package as you when I was cancelling was offered 35% off for 6 months !

I refused unless they come back with a really good offer they will lose my business so many alternatives out there now !

They didn’t off me that. Went to €113 a month after expiry of last deal and best they do was €98. Now fall back to €55 as I have Q with mini box.

Think is Basic at €36 plus €19 for mini box/ multi room. = €55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone know what the new package is for the variety package that I am currently on.

Is it cheaper?

It's great to see so many people cancelling their subs with Sky.
    The more people that do it, the better the chances of forcing Sky to get the finger out and improve their offers going forward.
    Cancelled last year after many years with them and never got any offers from them to come back.

cena wrote: »
    Anyone know what the new package is for the variety package that I am currently on.

Is it cheaper?

Just one package now, The Signature pack €41 although they usually charge everyone who makes any effort to haggle €36. Then you've everything added on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

They didn’t off me that. Went to €113 a month after expiry of last deal and best they do was €98. Now fall back to €55 as I have Q with mini box.

Think is Basic at €36 plus €19 for mini box/ multi room. = €55

Is this with broadband?

Is this with broadband?

No, I wouldn't think so.

Is this with broadband?

No broadband......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

This is what was holding me back but my internet has improved so that now tv now works perfect
    I get sports IN HD in any room for less than even the offer . Having to pay for HD is one of the things that has really grated on me . Ridiculous
    My contract is up next month and there will be no haggling . I’m free after twenty years :D

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    This is what was holding me back but my internet has improved so that now tv now works perfect
    I get sports IN HD in any room for less than even the offer . Having to pay for HD is one of the things that has really grated on me . Ridiculous
    My contract is up next month and there will be no haggling . I’m free after twenty years :D

I cancelled earlier In Jan, but only to get a better deal. I was paying €92 for the old variety pack + Sports +HD.......got a text 2 weeks after cancelling offering me 35% off to come back. There was no change to my account a week later and I was getting close to my final day so I rang them up (9aM is a good time, got through straight away and put through to someone in renewals). I was offered to upgrade to Sky Signature, which gives me Discovery and other docs, HD and Sports for €57 and change......happy enough with that. I would just ring them up and say you got the text for 35% to come back and see how it goes......the person I was talking to knew nothing about it and there was no record on my account...... :)
    I tried to get Sky Q as part of the deal, but there wasn’t any deal available.....I’m a platinum VIP, so I’m hoping to get that free later and then upgrade to UHD.
    Hope that helps!

Sky need to start to look at their charges for HD channels.
    It's getting beyond a joke at this stage.

okidoki987 wrote: »

It really is, VM include HD with every package. SD quality on sky is absolutely dreadful. I must say I was very impressed with the picture quality of VM.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I cancelled earlier In Jan, but only to get a better deal. I was paying €92 for the old variety pack + Sports +HD.......got a text 2 weeks after cancelling offering me 35% off to come back. There was no change to my account a week later and I was getting close to my final day so I rang them up (9aM is a good time, got through straight away and put through to someone in renewals). I was offered to upgrade to Sky Signature, which gives me Discovery and other docs, HD and Sports for €57 and change......happy enough with that. I would just ring them up and say you got the text for 35% to come back and see how it goes......the person I was talking to knew nothing about it and there was no record on my account...... :)
    I tried to get Sky Q as part of the deal, but there wasn’t any deal available.....I’m a platinum VIP, so I’m hoping to get that free later and then upgrade to UHD.
    Hope that helps!

Thanks that’s what I’ve been on for last few years
    I won’t be takin it up this year
    Gone for good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You cant blame Sky as its in the business to make money. Blame the people who pay for it. As long as people are prepared to pay for HD then Sky will charge for it.

Oh, Im not defending Sky as I hate them with a passion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChesterFisher1

Hi all, sorry in advance if this has been answered before, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    I rang Sky to cancel my tv subscription but was told I can't as I'm in contract until september. They did say that they had a covid package for 10 euro a month which was the basic channels. When I asked what they were, the guy couldn't tell me as he didn't know which channels were on it. I've googled and come up with nothing. Would anyone know what the channels on the covid package are? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Hi all, sorry in advance if this has been answered before, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    I rang Sky to cancel my tv subscription but was told I can't as I'm in contract until september. They did say that they had a covid package for 10 euro a month which was the basic channels. When I asked what they were, the guy couldn't tell me as he didn't know which channels were on it. I've googled and come up with nothing. Would anyone know what the channels on the covid package are? Thanks in advance.

Hhmmm id prob take that for a few months So i could Series but get rid of the rest as long as there was no contract
    Damn you Sky just let me go :D

That's a new one on me, I'd say they're losing a lot of customers as people have to trim their finances as it's looking like this covid is going to drag on into the autumn.

Ok.... Sky turned off Sports, Movies and HD today as part of my haggling process to get my bill down

What kind of offers can I expect to be offered to return. Anyone forget any text/ messages of good deals to upgrade to the above

Am on Q Basic plus mini box for €55.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ok.... Sky turned off Sports, Movies and HD today as part of my haggling process to get my bill down

What kind of offers can I expect to be offered to return. Anyone forget any text/ messages of good deals to upgrade to the above

Thanks

Expect a call.

Thanks

You'll need to ring them they won't contact you. They only start sending out offers when you're shut off completely. All my offers are almost ended, I'm going to pay the full money until my contract ends in May and cancel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement