Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I blame the parents!

I'm would too. That said none of this lot were any younger than 30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Agree largely..but, I think it was saturday when I went for a walk down burgess park.

Couple of benches were occupied by lads with bags of cans. They weren't homeless, just arseholes

Feck them. As long as they stay away from the rest of us, they can give it to each other all they like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

The only problem with that is the poor front line health care workers who then have to deal with them subsequently.

rn wrote: »
    The only problem with that is the poor front line health care workers who then have to deal with them subsequently.

Fair. Unfortunately, there is just a segment of people who are either too thick, too stubborn or too selfish to think about anyone else in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I think that's really the problem.

Picture a pub (even with social distancing). There's a good 10% (conservative estimate) of patrons who wash their hands rarely if ever. The rest get greeted by sinks with no hot water and/or soap or drying facilities not adequate.

You'll get your share of those bench-space-takers in there as well. Can't see myself entering a pub any time soon even if they do open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

I think the first stage to pub reopenings would be similar to USA - outdoor areas only.
    Trying to think of pubs where you could sit 'outside' on a good day.

Shack
    Dead centre ( limited)
    Seans
    Murphys Law
    snug
    chalets

Any more ? Not a huge range

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

carq wrote: »
    I think the first stage to pub reopenings would be similar to USA - outdoor areas only.
    Trying to think of pubs where you could sit 'outside' on a good day.

Shack
    Dead centre ( limited)
    Seans
    Murphys Law
    snug
    chalets

Any more ? Not a huge range
    Big building job in Sean’s since lockdown. Beer garden and tv room gutted. Flat next door renovated. 3 enormous skips filled over last few weeks. Kango hammer going at 8am this morning.

Ceirseach wrote: »
    Big building job in Sean’s since lockdown. Beer garden and tv room gutted. Flat next door renovated. 3 enormous skips filled over last few weeks. Kango hammer going at 8am this morning.

I'd say they're just getting odd-jobs done that had been on the back-burner. One of them was in the Westmeath criticising the Vitners for suggesting opening earlier than the CMO's recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That was Seans. Meanwhile Murphy law was advertising on Facebook some sort of portable home Heineken tap set up for rent.
    Just what Athlone needs. House parties. SMH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

flazio wrote: »
    That was Seans. Meanwhile Murphy law was advertising on Facebook some sort of portable home Heineken tap set up for rent.
    Just what Athlone needs. House parties. SMH

Yes. 88 pint keg of Guinness for hire for 3 days.

The service is non essential. Frankly disgusted by it.

Jump for joy wont refund deposit for bouncing castle, but will still deliver.. a bouncy castle is not an essential service.

Im ear marking these businesses that wont get the steam of my piss after this. I'll support business that supported the effort and not used any BS excuse to worm their way out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

I'd say they're just getting odd-jobs done that had been on the back-burner. One of them was in the Westmeath criticising the Vitners for suggesting opening earlier than the CMO's recommendations.
    Doesn’t look like odd jobs project
    4th 20 cubic yard skip on site yesterday
    This is week 8 of their renovations

Heard they're turning it into a disco bar

Heard they're turning it into a disco bar

Kind of killing the soul of the place really. The bit of trad ye hear at the entrance when there's a session on is what draws people to it. Making it a "shirts and skirts" venue screams of a money grab.

The goldest pub in Ireland.

Nah I was joking. Those lads know where their bread and butter comes from, it's exactly what you're talking about. I'm living abroad at the minute but one of the first things I'm looking forward to doing when I'm home is a proper pint beside the fire in Sean's, with a bit of a seisiun going. I'll be a right tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Ceirseach wrote: »
    Doesn’t look like odd jobs project
    4th 20 cubic yard skip on site yesterday
    This is week 8 of their renovations

I understand the from the TV room back to the gate excluding Ladies Toilets are getting major works done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I'm hearing what sound like powerful explosions every hour or so, these were happening some time ago too. Am curious as to what and where they are, I'm North of the town and about 6 miles as the crow flies, the thumps are coming from the direction of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

dePeatrick wrote: »
    I'm hearing what sound like powerful explosions every hour or so, these were happening some time ago too. Am curious as to what and where they are, I'm North of the town and about 6 miles as the crow flies, the thumps are coming from the direction of the town.

They're demolishing the boat club on the Accomodation Road. I think they'll be building a new one.

Smashmouth wrote: »
    They're demolishing the boat club on the Accomodation Road. I think they'll be building a new one.
    Wow, are they using dynamite? I can feel the shock from here.

Thank you btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

Wow, are they using dynamite? I can feel the shock from here.

Thank you btw...

Actually I was probably wrong. I live pretty close to it and it's not that severe. Doesn't sound like dynamite. So you might be hearing something different to me.

Actually I was probably wrong. I live pretty close to it and it's not that severe. Doesn't sound like dynamite. So you might be hearing something different to me.
    Ok, feels a bit odd not seeing people and being able to ask them, can't exactly drive around to find it either.

• Advertisement

Ok, feels a bit odd not seeing people and being able to ask them, can't exactly drive around to find it either.

Heard nothing and i live 2K from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Nah, walked past it today, they seem to be just doing it up a bit.

Loud noises could be from the water works, big drills there doing ground inspection

Nah, walked past it today, they seem to be just doing it up a bit.

Loud noises could be from the water works, big drills there doing ground inspection
    The sound I am hearing is not coming from big drills, more like blasting rock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Boat club are extending the existing building and not demolishing it so not sure the sounds are coming from there. Army are hardly doing drills in the Barracks?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Boat club are extending the existing building and not demolishing it so not sure the sounds are coming from there. Army are hardly doing drills in the Barracks?
    Stopped now, am thinking something close to lake.
    Was quite startling to hear it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You say you live north of the town? Out near Glasson I assume. What you would have heard, would have been from Carnagh firing range owned by the Army. Most likely popping out a few mortars.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Hey all,

I’ve moved to athlone but don’t really know much of the area around me. Just wondering is there any green areas around the town or less than 5km out of it where you could bring a football or do a bit of running, at a socially distanced length. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hey all,

I’ve moved to athlone but don’t really know much of the area around me. Just wondering is there any green areas around the town or less than 5km out of it where you could bring a football or do a bit of running, at a socially distanced length. Thanks :)
    Not sure about a kick about but the old railway line has been converted into a greenway so that's a good spot for running.
    I want to say the park beside Golden Island but I have a feeling there's signs there forbidding ball games.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

The park off Abbey Road (on the river, can’t recall the actual name of the Park) would be ok for a kick about, but last time I was over there the grass had got very long.

If you were heading over to the greenway, the green area next to the Gaelscoil (on Brawney Road) might be good enough for a kickabout

• Advertisement

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    You say you live north of the town? Out near Glasson I assume. What you would have heard, would have been from Carnagh firing range owned by the Army. Most likely popping out a few mortars.
    Yes near Glasson, not Carnagh as I am well used to the direction that comes from and the sounds they make. Seems to have stopped now.

Advertisement