Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Cheap non-recyclable plastics usually.

Typical,.
    They should definitely be banned so....waste of time, most people honestly have no interest in who is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

Blanco100 wrote: »
    anybody know where you could get some tickets for the drama festival over weekend?

Just click the book now link, some nights are sold out.
    http://www.deancrowetheatre.com/dean_event/rte-ireland-drama-festival-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Can anyone make suggestion as to what is best bike shop in town? With biggest choice of new bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Can anyone make suggestion as to what is best bike shop in town? With biggest choice of new bikes

Buckley's or bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Buckleys is the main place. There's a bike shop out near Jolly Marriner but it looks a small operation. And PlanetX out in Monksland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There's a bike shop out near Jolly Marriner but it looks a small operation.

Gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Shame that Dermot and the missus closed DB Cycles. Very good shop and never any issues with them. The queue for Buckleys is huge with the transferred customers.

Buckleys are also good btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Buckleys are also good btw

Good in what sense? Go in there without having a clear idea of what you want, what you need and general costs of that, you will get yer pockets emptied.

Good in what sense? Go in there without having a clear idea of what you want, what you need and general costs of that, you will get yer pockets emptied.

That's fairly par for course for any shop anywhere.

Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise me on certain areas in Athlone, moving house shortly and would love to know about certain areas,

1) Caislean Riada in Coosan

2) Church Hills Coosan

Can anyone tell me any inside info on these specific areas, are they decent spots etc.. ? Not to sound too snobby but is there any noticeable anti social behaviour etc.?

Thanks a million in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

2) Church Hills Coosan

Can anyone tell me any inside info on these specific areas, are they decent spots etc.. ? Not to sound too snobby but is there any noticeable anti social behaviour etc.?

Both pretty decent, not next door to estates full of savages if that's what you're worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise me on certain areas in Athlone, moving house shortly and would love to know about certain areas,

2) Church Hills Coosan

Thanks a million in advance

Either area is perfectly fine. Coosan in general would be considered one of the nicest areas of the town.

Either area is perfectly fine. Coosan in general would be considered one of the nicest areas of the town.

Thanks very much, was thinking the same.

Both look like nice estates, was just wondering if anyone had any insight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭cena

I see some work on coppers today. Was it sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

cena wrote: »

Also if anyone has any info on the Palace Bar, looked like a bit of work done on the inside. The old Texas/ Tescos i thought was going to get a new tenant but apart from car park opening for a while seems idle. Anyone any news on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭cena

Steven81 wrote: »
    Also if anyone has any info on the Palace Bar, looked like a bit of work done on the inside. The old Texas/ Tescos i thought was going to get a new tenant but apart from car park opening for a while seems idle. Anyone any news on these?

Palace bar has no furniture and curtains in. Walked pass it today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Steven81 wrote: »
    cena wrote: »

What I had heard, and this is all just rumour is that the palace is been turned into a hostel and bar, and someone suggested they need planning permission for change of use.

On the old shopping centre (quinnsworth, texas centre, whatever) , in the westmeath independent there was an article saying an Iceland and a sports world were going in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

“Apparently” the residents of the apartments beside the palace have put in some kind of objection to the late bar, it’s been ready to open for weeks.

Coppers was bought by the owners of a hotel in Roscommon, name escapes me just now, and is being done up again

Haven’t heard anything about old Texas site in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,932 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is the Polish shop at the front still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

charlieIRL wrote: »
    “Apparently” the residents of the apartments beside the palace have put in some kind of objection to the late bar, it’s been ready to open for weeks.

Coppers was bought by the owners of a hotel in Roscommon, name escapes me just now, and is being done up again

Haven’t heard anything about old Texas site in ages.

O'Gara's from Roscommon are opening Coppers up again.
    Palace as said above are ready to open but are struggling to get late bar license

• Advertisement

O'Gara's from Roscommon are opening Coppers up again.
    Palace as said above are ready to open but are struggling to get late bar license

Youd wonder is there demand for the late night buck. Piano and karma dont fill outside Saturdays and major events.

I guess Palace would take on those in left bank wanting to continue night without crossing bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Youd wonder is there demand for the late night buck. Piano and karma dont fill outside Saturdays and major events.

I guess Palace would take on those in left bank wanting to continue night without crossing bridge

The place used to be rammed back in the day but the target audience was a lot younger. Depending on the demographic they aim it towards, I think it could do all right. When you look at the crowds The Castle Inn, Sean's and The Snug get, you'd imagine The Palace might attract some of the older crowd who can't be bothered crossing the bridge for a nightclub but want a few late drinks. Personally, I'd rather a late bar now than going queuing for Karma and paying 12 euro or whatever they're charging. I can't be arsed with that anymore. Is there space for another late bar alongside the Piano Bar?

Any thoughts on the improved bus service now that its going 2 years or so.

Decent frequencies but you don't really see the numbers on them just yet. Very little incentive to abandon the car in favour of them with the speed or getting into town. As we don't do bus lanes, the traffic kills it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Any thoughts on the improved bus service now that its going 2 years or so.

Decent frequencies but you don't really see the numbers on them just yet. Very little incentive to abandon the car in favour of them with the speed or getting into town. As we don't do bus lanes, the traffic kills it.

the TFI app is useless. Stop near me will have busses listed every 10 minutes when it's supposed to be a bus every hour, on top of that busses will often be so late it's almost like they're early for the next service. Route and tables haven't been adjusted to account for the new trafic management plan in town.

I guess that the timetable only adjusts once per year normally. And it's likely that they have to check the new traffic patterns for what is realistic to put on timetables.

That said, it's Bus Eireann. Never managed an airport journey with them that didn't have me running for the gate due to lateness.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

So Athlone will be going from having 1 late bar to 4 ?

Piano bar
    The venue
    new coppers
    New palace

Doctors in town are not taking on new patients at the moment. Have looked at Newtown, Monksland and O Mearas.

Bonavalley Medical Centre's closing has left a huge gap in the market. Surprised that nobody has jumped on it yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Doctors in town are not taking on new patients at the moment. Have looked at Newtown, Monksland and O Mearas.

Bonavalley Medical Centre's closing has left a huge gap in the market. Surprised that nobody has jumped on it yet.

It has happened all over Ireland. There are not enough GPS trained and willing to take a practice on. Some country areas have no GP at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

It's nothing new ... I tried to make an appointment with a doc in Monksland last year and was told they were not taking on new patients!

Often wondered what would happen though if you just landed in to them as part of a walk in clinic. Would they refuse to see you?

• Advertisement

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    It's nothing new ... I tried to make an appointment with a doc in Monksland last year and was told they were not taking on new patients!

Often wondered what would happen though if you just landed in to them as part of a walk in clinic. Would they refuse to see you?

They would see you but likely refer you then to A&E. Which is sh1t3 because you then have to wait on doctors in hospital to authorise anything as you dont have a regular GP

Advertisement