Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tipphunter82

Thanks guys, if there is not much craic going on in Athlone during the week, I guess i can always download tindr

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Nuts corner for whatever sport is on.
    Head down to seans for a bit of Trad then

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tipphunter82

carq wrote: »
    Nuts corner for whatever sport is on.
    Head down to seans for a bit of Trad then

Is there trad on in Seans every night?? nuts corner just might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Is there trad on in Seans every night?? nuts corner just might suit.

Trad / music every night i have been there anyway - starts about 9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Nut's is a pretty good spot for a match and the Guinness in there is beautiful. Another good spot for a pint is Flannery's, just down from Nut's. Often a session on in there too. Castle Inn would be my haunt for a match generally, gets a good crowd for games and has a big screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Agreed on the Castle. Yeah it has it's regulars but you get tourists/the curious in there too.

Needs a bit of refurbishment but if its sports you want to watch, its hard to beat. Very Liverpool-biased bar and Rugby to a lesser extent (but don't let the Rugby put you off, its otherwise a good place).

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I see the Palace is open again, now called Maisie's. Not a sports bar so I hear. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    I see the Palace is open again, now called Maisie's. Not a sports bar so I hear. :)

Who's running it? Original it was supposed to be the lads who run Zicos, 37 Dawson Street and House in Dublin but it seems they've since sold it on to the Cormer Brother's from Galway?

No idea, i had heard the deal had fell through as they couldn't get a late bar license. Was surprised when the old man sent me a pic of himself having a pint in there this evening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

With all this talk of social housing going into the orchard, can anyone tell me what is happening with Woodville? is it going downhill fast?

Lots of houses out that way along ballymahon road seem to being bought by council or is that incorrect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

No idea, i had heard the deal had fell through as they couldn't get a late bar license. Was surprised when the old man sent me a pic of himself having a pint in there this evening!!!

Looks like the individual who delayed the building of Athlone Town Centre for 2 years (This delay meant it did not open in 2005 as planned but in 2007 which resulted in the developers being unable to sell the Apartments/Shopping Centre / Car Park which was the plan and the rest is history NAMA etc .) has struck again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/athlone-development-faces-objections-1.1155795

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Blanco100 wrote: »
    With all this talk of social housing going into the orchard, can anyone tell me what is happening with Woodville? is it going downhill fast?

Lots of houses out that way along ballymahon road seem to being bought by council or is that incorrect?

No change in Woodville, walked around it there last week and it was same as always. Well looked after in the main, kids out playing. Heard there's lots of houses gone up in the orchard but haven't heard any complaints of any hassle

Blanco100 wrote: »

My wife has a friend who lives around there and it appears that many of the rental properties are now being sold off by their Celtic tiger era owners, I've no idea whose buying them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sull101

My wife has a friend who lives around there and it appears that many of the rental properties are now being sold off by their Celtic tiger era owners, I've no idea whose buying them though.

Sorry to highjack the thread but can any tell me the best way to check out school buses?

Moving to Athlone in next couple of weeks, we have purchased a house in the aforementioned Woodville estate. 2 teenagers attending secondary school in town (Marist and Bower).

Are there private school buses covering this area (woodville) and maybe coosan church? I know the A2 bus goes from top of estate, but this does not go in that direction, rather than would be the A1 bus (which goes down retreat road).

Does anybody have any info of local operators?

Distance wise they could walk in 20 mins from woodville via the track

Id say the bus between waiting and stopping would take nearly as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Distance wise they could walk in 20 mins from woodville via the track

Id say the bus between waiting and stopping would take nearly as long.

OP specifically looking for bus service, school bags weigh a ton these days. Think there was a service out that way but operator retired not sure if theres one in its place or who to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sull101 wrote: »
    Sorry to highjack the thread but can any tell me the best way to check out school buses?

Moving to Athlone in next couple of weeks, we have purchased a house in the aforementioned Woodville estate. 2 teenagers attending secondary school in town (Marist and Bower).

Are there private school buses covering this area (woodville) and maybe coosan church? I know the A2 bus goes from top of estate, but this does not go in that direction, rather than would be the A1 bus (which goes down retreat road).

Does anybody have any info of local operators?
    Check if a bus comes from Glasson direction - it would pass quite near Woodville.

I see Mario's chipper at Apple Green got shut down, Guards and Bailiffs involved apparently???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Was heading for it the other day, it was completely sealed up with what looked like metal sheeting covering the entire unit. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

Talking of chippers Alfredos half price first tuesday of the month is finished too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I see Mario's chipper at Apple Green got shut down, Guards and Bailiffs involved apparently???

Heard that alright. Whole place was cleared out.

The aould tax evasion........can't be at that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

That's a shame about Marios. The girl working the counter was the most ignorant person ever but the food was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

That's a shame about Marios. The girl working the counter was the most ignorant person ever but the food was good.

Service was shocking slow too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Saint_Mel wrote: »

Service was shocking slow too!

Surprisingly enough their delivery was really fast. It would be quicker to phone for a delivery than to phone in an order and go down and collect it.
    I think it was that they wouldn't cook the chips until you arrived.

Repeating an old point but..

Continuing to see alot of acts ignore Athlone (and the midlands generally) in terms of gigs. Naas, Tralee, Sligo, Kilkenny. Towns of similar size are getting gigs and we are not.

Does the town just not like music/comedy? Always seem to have to go to Galway to catch talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Continuing to see alot of acts ignore Athlone (and the midlands generally) in terms of gigs. Naas, Tralee, Sligo, Kilkenny. Towns of similar size are getting gigs and we are not.

Does the town just not like music/comedy? Always seem to have to go to Galway to catch talent.

Not many suitable places in the town to have any Music really. Apart from hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The reasons are that (a) there's no proper dedicated music venue in Athlone and (b) nobody is even trying to book them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

But but Rorys stories is playing the Dean Crowe :eek:

If this is the standard of tripe the town can attract then I'll gladly go the extra miles ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭pawrick

Was chatting to a craft brew festival rep a few years ago who said they had sounded out a festival for Athlone as the location is perfect but they couldn't get the bar owners and hoteliers to agree to share the events over the course of a weekend, they all wanted to be the main focus and wouldn't work with one another for mutual benefit. True or not i don't know + probably more to it than what he said but interesting point none the less.

Advertisement