Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A couple of clowns? Who like?

Its quite simple. Like the airport and Chinese hub, we simply dont have the critical mass for it. These clowns simply did cost benefit and hey presto, redeveloped the 3arena which is a cash cow.

Which is unfortunate as its a coconut to get to for us Athlonians

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah the 3 Arena is a pain to get to if you're not Dublin based, just like the Aviva and Croker to a lesser extent. We're in that between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place state in the midlands where the region hasn't got certain facilities because of lack of population - but unlike Galway, Killarney, Castlebar etc, we have relative ease of access to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TimHorton

The 3 Arena is easily accessed from Athlone at any time via M50 - Port Tunnel, Car Park under the Arena,

TimHorton wrote: »
    The 3 Arena is easily accessed from Athlone at any time via M50 - Port Tunnel, Car Park under the Arena,

Most people going to concerts, shows etc there may fancy a pint. The car park is of limited use to them.

Currently one has the option of Train to Heuston followed by Luas. No good if you need to return from a gig as the last Westbound train is like 8pm.

Then theres the bus. Last bus from Busaras at 11pm. Used to be earlier. Cutting it VERY thin if even possible.

Your comment about the 3 Arena being hard to get to from Athlone is complete nonsense, Most People are Adult about things like this! , Just need 1 person to be designated driver and all is good, No getting ripped off by Hotels etc....

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head, here are reasons why driving is not a decent option, even with a designated driver.

1. Cost of fuel, 3 tolls (upto a tenner each way. More if the journeys through the tunnel are during peak hours in a tunnel which was put together for trucks anyway).

2. Encouragement of people to use public transport in the city.

3. Traffic. The tunnel has been known to close at random times, sending one up the quays. Good luck getting to 3arena in Dublin traffic.

Personally if i was going to an evening gig there and was (or had a) designated driver, id probably park near Heuston and take a Luas onward. Were still looking at the best part of 2.5 hours to get door to door so still a bad option. BUt best of a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

As someone who has driven from Athlone to several gigs in the O2 I can say it was a quick and painless experience every single time.

1 toll, a fiver in total for both ways.

No need for public transport.

The traffic is not that bad at the times most gigs take place. Just over an hour each way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

a 10,000 seater venue in Athlone/the Midlands would just be a massive white elephant. It'd be used even less than the inec in Killarney.

BloodBath wrote: »
    As someone who has driven from Athlone to several gigs in the O2 I can say it was a quick and painless experience every single time.

1 toll, a fiver in total for both ways.

No need for public transport.

The traffic is not that bad at the times most gigs take place. Just over an hour each way.

How much did parking cost?

Also admittedly pedantic AFAIK the M4 toll is €5.80 if using it both ways.

Also admittedly very pedantic, you've not been to a gig lately if your calling it the O2. That existed during the recession. Traffic around city has been astronomically increasing since.

Just checked my Google Timeline for the last time I was in the 3 Arena

Left Athlone @ 4.50 PM Stopped in Applegreen for 15 mins to get a Coffee and went via M50/Port Tunnel and arrived @ 6.35 PM in the Car Park at the 3Arena ,Had something to eat after the Show in Eddie Rockets and left Car Park 11.15 PM and drove home via City Centre arriving at 12.50 AM , A great night with 1 person not taking a drink and doing the driving...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,932 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Type "concert bus" into Google and you'll see some transport options that serve Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭homenotaway

Hi all, looking for some advice.

I have Lleylandi trees on the outskirts of Athlone that are badly in need of trimming.

If anyone could recommend someone who could do this for me I would very much appreciate it, thank you.

Thoughts on the local elections? Both sides of the bridge.

Ros side, probably voting in Keogh as he's from Monksland and seems to be fairly active in the area last couple of years.

Westmeath side, not so sure there. Alot of SF candidates including the ex guy Hogan.

The posters seem to have been airbrushed by 8 year olds

Of all the people I've been doorsteps by the only ones who could actually explain why they were running and what they hoped to do during their term were Padraig Heggarty and Fiona Lynam.

For that reason they'll get my 1 & 2. Not sure the order yet.

Boxer junior is as dull as ditch water. Couldn't explain anything about his manifesto or plan, kept mentioning how having a minister as an ally
    (his dad) wass huge for the town, when I said surely he'd be an ally to the council anyway he was all of course yeah obviously, but still like if have better access. That's a no young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'm on the Ros side, I'm not inspired by any I've met so far. Between fighting to get the army HQ back?!? em that's in Westmeath + way above the pay grade of a Councillor to have any say. to people that are "pro business" and full of "new ideas". Same old clap trap from family dynasties or former FF hacks. What I really want to know from a county Councillor is can you fix the potholes or not??? /s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is there a link anywhere with a list of who's running and what the districts in Westmeath are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

pawrick wrote: »
    Between fighting to get the army HQ back?!? em that's in Westmeath

The actual Barracks is in Westmeath but probably 1/2 of the people working in it live in South Roscommon. Any employer in Athlone, regardless of what side of the border it's on, has an impact on the South Ros area.

Re the potholes issue, I know John Keogh seemed to be fairly good with roads issues when I was living in Bealnamullia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

The actual Barracks is in Westmeath but probably 1/2 of the people working in it live in South Roscommon. Any employer in Athlone, regardless of what side of the border it's on, has an impact on the South Ros area.

Here was me thinking we were trying to pretend Athlone didn't exist and Monksland was a town in itself. #Monkslandforcitystatus

Joking aside we all realise employment in the town is a cross border issue, however, other than writing strongly worded letters to the Minister for Defence seeking a review there is zero a counciller can do to affect this.

A complete restructuring of the Defence Force divisional command on a national level would be required.The DF can ill afford such a waste of expenditure to reverse the decision at this stage. Perhaps a TD or Minister could pull it off if it came to a swing government needing a vote but would it be in the national/DF interest now the new structure is established? Perhaps the area would be better served being realistic and focusing on increasing overall defence force numbers / improving equipment and facilities for currently serving soldiers rather than fighing for HQ status which is less likely to be sucessful or gain support from other parts of the country who would also potentially gain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

pawrick wrote: »
    Here was me thinking we were trying to pretend Athlone didn't exist and Monksland was a town in itself. #Monkslandforcitystatus

Joking aside we all realise employment in the town is a cross border issue, however, other than writing strongly worded letters to the Minister for Defence seeking a review there is zero a counciller can do to affect this.

A complete restructuring of the Defence Force divisional command on a national level would be required.The DF can ill afford such a waste of expenditure to reverse the decision at this stage. Perhaps a TD or Minister could pull it off if it came to a swing government needing a vote but would it be in the national/DF interest now the new structure is established? Perhaps the area would be better served being realistic and focusing on increasing overall defence force numbers / improving equipment and facilities for currently serving soldiers rather than fighing for HQ status which is less likely to be sucessful or gain support from other parts of the country who would also potentially gain.

There is no way a Brigade HQ will be put into Athlone again. There was a Command HQ there from the 1940s till the end of the century due to the Second World War and the border problem. A junior minister couldn't save Mullingar barracks, a single TD won't get a HQ into Athlone. Even if an Athlone TD was TAoiseach a HQ would not be put into Athlone. Look forward, not back.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/tech-talk-with-jess-kelly/scoping-tech-scene-athlone?fbclid=IwAR1qBhMobGHpyDcuKG31zY1kKUhUg_wQE27vLMYhILLGu719lt454hb2iug

Good to see the town spotlighted as a tech place.

Still its very Dell-In-Limerick esque. Town would be fecked without them, as would all these support companies. You hear Sidero saying how Ericsson are their "main" customer. Much like the head I use is my "main" head.

• Advertisement

In fairness the difference between Dell in Limerick and the tech (and biomedical) companies in Athlone is huge. Dell was a manufacturing facility and was easily moved for cheap labour, Huawei and Ericsson are both high skilled workspaces that need a constantly supply of talented graduates in specific fields that AiT can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Huawei and Ericsson are both high skilled workspaces that need a constantly supply of talented graduates in specific fields that AiT can provide.

100% disagree. Both Ericsson and Huawei are SW houses. Any college in the country churns out coding monkeys that would slot into either of these places (moreso Ericsson as the Huawei site is more R&D and has a much less need on grads). Nothing at all in the world for either company to move the entire operation to another site with minimal impact to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Hi all, looking for some advice.

I have Lleylandi trees on the outskirts of Athlone that are badly in need of trimming.

If anyone could recommend someone who could do this for me I would very much appreciate it, thank you.

Try Fiachra Finnegan ... http://midlandfirewood.ie/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭homenotaway

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Try Fiachra Finnegan ... http://midlandfirewood.ie/index.html

Many thanks for the above, much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Thoughts on the local elections? Both sides of the bridge.

Ros side, probably voting in Keogh as he's from Monksland and seems to be fairly active in the area last couple of years.

Westmeath side, not so sure there. Alot of SF candidates including the ex guy Hogan.

The posters seem to have been airbrushed by 8 year olds

The posters should be banned.

The posters should be banned.

Agree. Other than the environmental and distracting factors, not to mention the state of them, there is also the "oh that's what they look like but where are their policies"

With the Independents especially, i'm like "what do you stand for " :confused::confused:

Yes i could ask them but TBH i'm debating not using my vote this time. Yeah i'll deserve whatever gowl i get but at least i'll save myself a drive.

The local independent candidate with 3 posters across town, only in it for the craic

59295420_1162286443956870_3819237081704562688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=6aa8c8ebd0e0215d53e2fc90069c44d0&oe=5D628F83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Agree. Other than the environmental and distracting factors, not to mention the state of them, there is also the "oh that's what they look like but where are their policies"

With the Independents especially, i'm like "what do you stand for " :confused::confused:

Yes i could ask them but TBH i'm debating not using my vote this time. Yeah i'll deserve whatever gowl i get but at least i'll save myself a drive.

What are the posters actually made from?

What are the posters actually made from?

Cheap non-recyclable plastics usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

anybody know where you could get some tickets for the drama festival over weekend?

Advertisement