Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Jason Gibbons struggled in the middle though, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

eastmayo wrote: »
    Do tubber meet the winners of Galway next?

They play Leitrim champions in 2 weeks and winners of that play the Galway champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Two very close finals but I think the best teams won. Ballagh will rue the end of the 1st half. 4 points up and in a good position they conceded a quick 1-1 to go in level. Cillian, Diarmuid and Michael Plunkett showed their intercounty quality along with big performances from Bryan Walsh and Stephen O'Malley.

Andy and Shairoze Akram were the standout players for Ballagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Jesus but Tubber are an awful bore to watch. Very negative style which is why they won't be able to beat the likes of a Corofin unless they are having a real bad off day. Considering the talent they have I consider them to be underutilised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Jesus but Tubber are an awful bore to watch. Very negative style which is why they won't be able to beat the likes of a Corofin unless they are having a real bad off day. Considering the talent they have I consider them to be underutilised.

When ballintubber had the ball tonight there were 13 men in defence for most attacks. It's hard to not be negative and try and retain posession when you're faced with that blanket

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Why do teams that are playing an Amateur Sport Play in this manner ?

I can see how professional Sports team might play in this manner .

But Amateur Players . Killing your Sport as Amateurs does not make sense .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    They play Leitrim champions in 2 weeks and winners of that play the Galway champions.

Is that the same for The Neale intermediate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Peatys wrote: »
    Is that the same for The Neale intermediate?

Oughterard won in Galway yesterday and are extremely impressive.

Can't see the Neale getting too close to them if they meet but stranger has happened and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Ah lads

It's a results game

Tubber were huffing and puffing away in intermediate not too long ago.

You would be considered mad back then if you said they'd win multiple seniors in the next decade

Frankly if my team won a county final 1-0 I would not give a hoot.

They deserve appreciation imo. Let's direct the negativity towards the ever overhyped and sacred cow of an Irish rugby team instead :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBF IMO for large portions of the game Ballintubber were not overly negative.It was quite an open contest.

Certainly going down the stretch they may reverted to type.

I see Michael Plunkett got MOTM.

I thought Cillian O Connor was peripheral to the contest for large portions of it.An exquisite first five minutes with a couple of wonderful scores but as their go to man tended to drop far too deep.

For Ballagh Owen Jordan prevented two certain goals including his goal line clearance when Cillian seemed certain to score.

Akram was excellent and if he can only add a scoring threat.Cian Hanley got on a lot of ball and Kuba Callaghan is a great prospect.

Disappointing for Andy he didn't get his hands on another county medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

seligehgit wrote: »
    I thought Cillian O Connor was peripheral to the contest for large portions of it.An exquisite first five minutes with a couple of wonderful scores but as their go to man tended to drop far too deep.

Thought he showed his class when he got that goal chance in injury time but doubled back and took his point, figuring that was nearly as good at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Panrich wrote: »
    We’re a laughing stock at this stage. We make Trump look competent.

Trump is competent. You are more like Clinton Democrats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Thought he showed his class when he got that goal chance in injury time but doubled back and took his point, figuring that was nearly as good at that stage.

Yep showed great composure and that bit of experience in crucial decision making. Was being hassled and harried a good bit for most of the contest and managed to keep the head. Diarmuid showed great leadership in the second half.

Sharoize Akram has some engine and reads things quite well. Made a couple of good interceptions and some nice passes. Seems more defensive-minded which might explain the lack of scoring.

Interesting if rather dismaying little anecdote by Marc O Se about "the Mayo maor foirne who was spitting trash talk every time he came on the field" in the 2014 All-Ireland semi-final. Apparently before the replay Anthony Maher declared “If I see that f***** on the field again, I will pull him off it by the two ears like the f****** donkey he is” and went on to carry out his threat to some degree when the brawl broke out.:eek:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irish-sport/time-for-gaa-to-clear-the-sidelines-for-good-6hh5tngvv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah, God love the poor, wee little Kerry lamb. Always the victims of skullduggery from other counties. Never the instigator. Bless their gentle souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Well lads the email has dropped last night. Don't know about you but I am getting extremely p***ed off with this O'Leary. Fair enough the county board may have a case to answer but certainly not to him. Honestly what he is doing is damaging Mayo GAA, massively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Do you have the text of the email?

Well lads the email has dropped last night. Don't know about you but I am getting extremely p***ed off with this O'Leary. Fair enough the county board may have a case to answer but certainly not to him. Honestly what he is doing is damaging Mayo GAA, massively

How is it damaging? The board are a law onto themselves and he has every right as a financial contributor to ask the hard questions. Its a shame someone hasn't done this before. The treasurers emailed reply calling him a donkey while CCing Mr.O'Leary just shows the mentality in the board to anyone who dares ask any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

statto25 wrote: »
    How is it damaging? The board are a law onto themselves and he has every right as a financial contributor to ask the hard questions. Its a shame someone hasn't done this before. The treasurers emailed reply calling him a donkey while CCing Mr.O'Leary just shows the mentality in the board to anyone who dares ask any questions.

Agree with this. The board really need to learn how to dig up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What does this mean? :confused:

Seems to be chaos at co board level now, meeting at which the Treasurer was to answer questions on the whole affair was called off last week. Also heard that Mayo had no desolates at the special congress over the weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Seems to be chaos at co board level now, meeting at which the Treasurer was to answer questions on the whole affair was called off last week. Also heard that Mayo had no desolates at the special congress over the weekend
    Surely there was plenty of desolates that could have gone . Only Kidding .

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah, God love the poor, wee little Kerry lamb. Always the victim of skullduggery from other counties. Never the instigator. Bless their gentle souls.

Regardless, it doesnt excuse the behviour if true, anyway its ridiculous the amount of people on the sideline

The board meeting was cancelled last week so the foundation decided to issue an email to all clubs and the board outlining their questions and concerns to be addressed before Friday 6pm

Regardless, it doesnt excuse the behviour if true, anyway its ridiculous the amount of people on the sideline

Yeah be a much better image for the GAA to have the management team up at the back of the stand with their laptops like in rugby, even if they were probably just playing solitaire on them:P

Anyone know the identity of the Mayo 'donkey' and whether he is still involved with the team?

Yeah be a much better image for the GAA to have the management team up at the back of the stand with their laptops like in rugby, even if they were probably just playing solitaire on them:P

Anyone know the identity of the Mayo 'donkey' and whether he is still involved with the team?

I believe it was Dr Ed Coughlan and that game in Limerick was his last involvement with The team.

It was Mayo Treasurer Kevin O'Toole, according to the Indo.

He cc'd O'Leary in an email meant for someone else else.

Hasnt that been well know or some time now?

A different donkey, dr Ed was the one referred to by Marc OShea and his encroachment onto the pitch lead to an excuse for a further melee at the end of the 2014 semi final.
    The email you refer to also makes reference to someone as a donkey though I’d suggest it was the sender that was the ass in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

can anyone rock up to these board meetings or just club delegates?

irishgeo wrote: »
    can anyone rock up to these board meetings or just club delegates?

Club delegates only.

I like many others would love to be a fly on the wall at the next county board meeting!:D

Popcorn time.

Interesting if rather dismaying little anecdote by Marc O Se about "the Mayo maor foirne who was spitting trash talk every time he came on the field" in the 2014 All-Ireland semi-final. Apparently before the replay Anthony Maher declared “If I see that f***** on the field again, I will pull him off it by the two ears like the f****** donkey he is” and went on to carry out his threat to some degree when the brawl broke out.:eek:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irish-sport/time-for-gaa-to-clear-the-sidelines-for-good-6hh5tngvv

Same article in yesterday's Sunday Times indicated the GAA are actively considering a fresh tidying up of the sideline with the resultant demise of the major foirne (runner).The creation of a coaching booth has been suggested.

TBH it's not before time such reforms come into being.

Andy Moran interview on The GAA hour starts at 31 minutes 12 seconds in.

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/697691527-sportsjoe-gaa-hour-andy-moran-interview-brick-appreciation-swapping-jerseys-with-a-sub.mp3

Blackjack wrote: »
    A different donkey, dr Ed was the one referred to by Marc OShea and his encroachment onto the pitch lead to an excuse for a further melee at the end of the 2014 semi final.
    The email you refer to also makes reference to someone as a donkey though I’d suggest it was the sender that was the ass in that scenario.

Apologies. Talking at cross purposes so it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He dropped his pants behind the goal at an England game to try and put off a penalty taker.

I would be not far off calling him a donkey either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Just after reading the latest *letter*. Popcorn time......

mayo.mick wrote: »

any nuggets for the unwashed.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Donkey

He dropped his pants behind the goal at an England game to try and put off a penalty taker.

I would be not far off calling him a donkey either.

To be fair to him he’s not wrong in anything he has said so far. He’s highlighted where a lot of issues stem from and if I’m not mistaken you’ve said yourself in the past that if this group of players were to win an all Ireland it would be despite the county board and not as a result of much of what they have done. I may be misquoting you but I’m certain it was yourself.

Plus if he has the confidence to think that his exposed lad in a large crowd would put off a penalty taker then fair play to him. If we are to get into the ins and outs of his personal life I’d say in the role he does in his job he’s far from a donkey. People don’t do what he does without having quite powerful grey matter between his ears.

Anyway I don’t think the discussion on the mans personal life has a place here- he has his dealings to do with the County board and he’s given them quite a lot of money for specific purposes and he’s fully entitled to see that it’s spent on what it was agreed that it should be spent on. It’s money that needs to be spent anyway so if it comes from Peter to pay for what peter asked it to pay for then any money from Paul can be spent on the numerous areas that other money needs to be spent.

• Advertisement

Apologies. Talking at cross purposes so it would seem.

You’re grand. Mind you I’ve always found the use of the word Donkey in this context to be quite harsh. Donkeys are neither stupid nor stubborn, though the reputation they have for same stems from their absolute unwillingness (hence stubborn) to do something at the request of a human that they feel may injure them or put them in danger, therefore deemed to be stupid. Horses on the other hand don’t seem quite so smart, as they will jump a fence before knowing what’s on the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

naughto wrote: »
    Donkey

Who?

the reply will be very interesting, no wonder the chairman has taken ill.

some on the county board dont seem to like him. judging by bad mouthing of him and contacting the Mayo Ladies Board.

irishgeo wrote: »
    the reply will be very interesting, no wonder the chairman has taken ill.

some on the county board dont seem to like him. judging by bad mouthing of him and contacting the Mayo Ladies Board.

Thats in poor taste though im assuming you dont know the details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Who?

Was on about the letter where they called o Leary a donkey and cc him in the email

i was joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Blackjack wrote: »
    To be fair to him he’s not wrong in anything he has said so far. He’s highlighted where a lot of issues stem from and if I’m not mistaken you’ve said yourself in the past that if this group of players were to win an all Ireland it would be despite the county board and not as a result of much of what they have done. I may be misquoting you but I’m certain it was yourself.

Plus if he has the confidence to think that his exposed lad in a large crowd would put off a penalty taker then fair play to him. If we are to get into the ins and outs of his personal life I’d say in the role he does in his job he’s far from a donkey. People don’t do what he does without having quite powerful grey matter between his ears.

Anyway I don’t think the discussion on the mans personal life has a place here- he has his dealings to do with the County board and he’s given them quite a lot of money for specific purposes and he’s fully entitled to see that it’s spent on what it was agreed that it should be spent on. It’s money that needs to be spent anyway so if it comes from Peter to pay for what peter asked it to pay for then any money from Paul can be spent on the numerous areas that other money needs to be spent.

You probably are misquoting me, but then again I may have said it, and such a statement may have some truth to it.

My opinion of the County Board is that they are not as bad as many here make them out to be.
    It's easy to criticize them for negative things but people are slow to credit them for the positive things.

There was a lot of anger towards them a number of years ago when McStay was not given the managers job.
    But in reality not giving it to McStay was a smart move.

Agreed I don't think this is the correct forum for posting information of a personal nature even if it was made in jest.

You probably are misquoting me, but then again I may have said it, and such a statement may have some truth to it.

My opinion of the County Board is that they are not as bad as many here make them out to be.
    It's easy to criticize them for negative things but people are slow to credit them for the positive things.

There was a lot of anger towards them a number of years ago when McStay was not given the managers job.

No doubting it’s a thankless job, but it’s hard not to be annoyed when you see some of the carry on. Niall McGarry offered 10k of his own money to help appoint a commercial director and it takes over 2 years to get to the appointment.
    This whole three ringed circus with a man who’s willing to hand over very large sums of money if they provide business plans is something that was entirely preventable if it was handled correctly.

The McStay thing whether it was the right decision or not was handled appallingly. Getting the brother of a board member and his mate was probably as bad if not worse an appointment, and we all know what happened after that.

The problem is that they don't necessarily highlight the things that they do well. If people don’t know what you’re doing the’ll assume you are doing nothing, whether that’s the fair or not. The County board have not handled things very well on a number of fronts but there’s been too many very public cock ups in this current boards term when things on the field should have been the focus of effort and attention, not the continual firefighting and damage limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

BS, they messed it up by giving it to C&H, who did not want it and it all came tumbling down when the players went against the management. It would appear that they sounded out C&H to take the job when they didn't want Mcstay. At least he wanted the job.

I would argue there is more substance to Mcstay than Holmes. It is very clear that they made a complete balls of the process. These guys do not understand the simple concept of following an agreed process. It is as simple as that.

I'd argue there was a lot of anger towards the county board at the time and in the aftermath because of the ham fisted manner they handled the process.

Kevin McStay was treated very poorly and undoubtedly appeared to want the job far more than Pat Holmes/Noel Connolly.

Whither it was an issue around money or McStay's insistence that Liam McHale be part of his team it was handled very poorly.

Who's to say it was a smart move by the county board?Hindsight is a great thing.

IMO McStay had a lot to offer Mayo football and it's a shame he never got a chance to manage his native county as he evidently so badly wanted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement