Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I really think that any progress out of the group will be meet with a pretty torrid SF v Dublin

The whole thing is catching up with them, the injuries, the backdoor, etc etc

Had we beaten Roscommon that night things might have been a hell of a lot different, but they didn't and they aren't.

On the Clarke thing, his long kick-outs are a problem, and something that Kerry targeted and other teams will target by making him go long.
    But it's up to Horan and Co to come up with a plan B, and a innovative plan B, whatever that may actually be I don't know, I'm not a coach, but it depressed me yesterday to see kick out after kick-out end up in a Kerry attack.

If Donegal beat Kerry on Sunday that may be the end of us based on scoring difference etc.

So it's almost time to review the year

The league win was a great result, great to see some new fresh faces on the team too
    Pity the bad display v Roscommon and the injuries ruined any change of a strong championship challenge.

Indeed I'm having nightmares about the scale of beating Dublin will hand us if we manage to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Indeed I'm having nightmares about the scale of beating Dublin will hand us if we manage to progress.

Last year Brolly wrote something in the vain of "Someday soon Dublin will give Mayo a hammering"
    That could be a SF if they get there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

PressRun wrote:
    I think Donegal will edge it too. Control midfield and starve the Kerry full forward line of ball is the key to beating them and I think Donegal will find it easier to do that than us. Donegal keeper is a huge asset.

That's pretty much where I am too, but not by much, Kerry were firing well on Sunday, but absolutely everything went wrong for Mayo in Sunday, the stuff we predicted, and the Kerry forwards were all on form bar possibly JOD.

One thing is for sure I think both will have a purple patch.

Would there be anything in Buckley unlocking some Mayo secrets with Kerry?

Obviously there would have to be something in that, something that Kerry won't have over Donegal.

But Donegal will have it with Rochford, I hadn't put all that together before yesterday, not good from a Mayo perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I really don't see us making a semifinal anyway tbh. Even if we limp past Meath and Kerry do beat Donegal, I can see a few chickens coming home to roost with Rochford arriving to Castlebar.

Stoner wrote: »
    That's pretty much where I am too, but not by much, Kerry were firing well on Sunday, but absolutely everything went wrong for Mayo in Sunday, the stuff we predicted, and the Kerry forwards were all on form bar possibly JOD.

One thing is for sure I think both will have a purple patch.

Would there be anything in Buckley unlocking some Mayo secrets with Kerry?

Obviously there would have to be something in that, something that Kerry won't have over Donegal.

But Donegal will have it with Rochford, I hadn't put all that together before yesterday, not good from a Mayo perspective.

Everything went well for Kerry, but we barely laid a glove on them. Our kickouts were abysmal and we allowed them to control the middle and let the ball in as cleanly and as often as they liked. I don't see the Donegal midfield or defence being as loose and as I said, their keeper should be a big bonus for them on the day.

The Rochford and Buckley thing is of course something people have talked about. Buckley's fingerprints were all over that game yesterday, imo. The Kerry tackling was much improved and there was a clear focus on snuffing out the influence of Kevin McLoughlin and Jason Doherty (wouldn't be hard, poor Jason looked as though he'd received a blow to the head at some point such was the brain dead nature of his play at times). They were and are key players for us, and were key during Buckley's and Rochford's time in charge and both would be well aware of their role in mopping up dirty ball and linking play. Both players were nullified on the day to great effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,917 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

seligehgit wrote: »
    Have'nt watched back our horror fest yesterday nor the Sunday Game,rarely so inclined to watch very disappointing losses but more to the point I have read most of the posts re the Donegal Meath game and have come upon totally contradictory interpretations of the contest.

It appears Meath were giving the Tir Chonaill men loads up to the 60 minute mark.Donegal made the game safe post a number of substitutions.Verdicts on both teams performances veer between very good and poor and Donegal are mere lambs to the slaughter next Sunday?

Just want to get a handle on how I can possibly lift my overwhelming gloom to some sort of optimism in terms of acquiring the maximally optimum results for our wounded county men.

Ah I might just watch the Donegal Meath highlights.:)

TBH I think Donegal Kerry will be a cracker and we're really struggling to make up ground with our points difference.

I was at the Donegal v Meath game. Donegal lost Paddy McGrath before throw in and the reshuffle seemed to throw them a bit early on plus they didn`t bring the same intensity up front they in earlier games with forwards not getting in front of the ball as much in the first half. McBrearty scored a goal from a great pass by Thompson, but still had a lot to do and finished it very well under pressure to settle them down

Second half they were coasting 5 points up and ran in the bench. First contribution by OBaoill when introduced was to concede a penalty which gave Meath a lift tagging on 3 points to go 1 up going into the last 15 mins.
    That woke Donegal up and from Patton`s pinpoint kick outs, Murphy controlling everything around the middle, the two McHugh`s and McGlynn running hard and direct at Meath with the others creating and finding space inside they outscored Meath from there to the finish 1 -08 to 0 -1 to win by 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

PressRun wrote: »
    I really don't see us making a semifinal anyway tbh. Even if we limp past Meath and Kerry do beat Donegal, I can see a few chickens coming home to roost with Rochford arriving to Castlebar.

You might be right. I don't think anyone can be too optimistic about our chances this summer. A lot went wrong on Sunday. It's one of those games that you need to just move on from and try to forget.

I am looking forward to seeing how we go about things on Sunday. Who are the fittest players, is there anyone coming back into the squad and how can we improve in a week? It's a big puzzle now for Horan and time isn't on his side.

But a win over Meath and we could be looking at a big game against Donegal in Castlebar, in August. That would be some occasion. Let's just hope we can take it to the last day and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Everything went well for Kerry, but we barely laid a glove on them. Our kickouts were abysmal and we allowed them to control the middle and let the ball in as cleanly and as often as they liked. I don't see the Donegal midfield or defence being as loose and as I said, their keeper should be a big bonus for them on the day.

The Rochford and Buckley thing is of course something people have talked about. Buckley's fingerprints were all over that game yesterday, imo. The Kerry tackling was much improved and there was a clear focus on snuffing out the influence of Kevin McLoughlin and Jason Doherty (wouldn't be hard, poor Jason looked as though he'd received a blow to the head at some point such was the brain dead nature of his play at times). They were and are key players for us, and were key during Buckley's and Rochford's time in charge and both would be well aware of their role in mopping up dirty ball and linking play. Both players were nullified on the day to great effect.

Agreed I thought Donie Buckley's influence was imprinted all over that Kerry performance.

I'd love to stay on for the second game in next Sunday's double header but it's a long trek home so the radio coverage will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

You might be right. I don't think anyone can be too optimistic about our chances this summer. A lot went wrong on Sunday. It's one of those games that you need to just move on from and try to forget.

I am looking forward to seeing how we go about things on Sunday. Who are the fittest players, is there anyone coming back into the squad and how can we improve in a week? It's a big puzzle now for Horan and time isn't on his side.

But a win over Meath and we could be looking at a big game against Donegal in Castlebar, in August. That would be some occasion. Let's just hope we can take it to the last day and go from there.

I think that's a great way or maybe the only way to look at it and try to bring some confidence back into their play for Meath. We are not that bad and we were so tired yesterday It would be great if DOC or Ruane were in the mix as it would provide much needed support around the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I think that's a great way or maybe the only way to look at it and try to bring some confidence back into their play for Meath. We are not that bad and we were so tired yesterday It would be great if DOC or Ruane were in the mix as it would provide much needed support around the middle.

If we're leaving Dublin at 18:00 the next day out with a half realistic chance of progression, then it will have been a good day.
    It's a tough ask for sure but you're right in saying we're not that bad nor do I think we will be against Meath. All we can do is wait and see what Mayo team shows up, hopefully it's the one we know and love watching in full flight at Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

A few thoughts (in no particular order) and the humour isn't good, so....

- The Kerry pundits played a blinder last week. All tipping Mayo to win, talking us up as title contenders and every single one of them used the exact same phrase in their analysis: Mayo bullied them twice this year in the league. Set the tone for everything. Wound up the entire county and their team. The Dublin pundits did the exact same thing every year we played them, all trotted out the same agenda everywhere in the media in the weeks leading up to the game. Every year our pundits have sat back and said nothing. Absolute useless bunch.

- David Moran and his antics before the throw in were something that everyone in the country (let alone the county) knew was coming. Except for James Horan and the players, it appears. They did not seem ready or able for it and it seemed to throw them off from before the game even began.

- The ref was shocking. Failed to sort things out before throw in and Kerry knew then they were on a winner. Everyone of them then crossed the line. Moran clearly took AOS out of it at one point, everyone in the ground saw it. Except for the ref. Got nothing from him all day and it was like groundhog day at times a la 2014.

- The injuries are killing us and were bound to catch up with us at some point. AOS is clearly not right and isn't being helped by having to carry midfield on his own. McDonagh, Keegan, Vaughan (who is not up to it, especially not at midfield) and to a lesser extent McLoughlin and probably Doherty also don't seem right.

- Also on the injuries, everyone is talking about the likes of Ruane, DOC, Durcan etc. being back for the Donegal game. What's the point in rushing lads back who are clearly not going to be match fit and haven't had any game time in nearly two months? Have we not got enough guys struggling with injuries playing at the minute? An unfair ask and a no-win situation for them.

- Paddy Durcan was a monumental loss, especially with Keegan not at full throttle.

- Half forward line was non-existent, as were midfield, which led to our backs being on a loser all day.

- Having said that, you have to say that Clifford is some footballer and admire his talent. His physique is scary and he has everything in terms of skill that a top player needs in his locker. I felt sorry for Harrison, who is yet another square peg in a round hole, as he's doing his best but he's not a full back. I actually rate him very highly, just not at full back. However, we should remember that only for he suffered an injury in the league, we could have had Cafferkey at full back for the Championship: would we even have got this far?

- I feared that Horan had learned nothing from his time away in terms of tactics and ingame management. Yesterday was further proof of that, sadly. While Rochford was by no means perfect (and nobody could have done any better last year with the amount of injuries we had), I'm still not sure why the County Board wanted him gone so badly, especially when it meant bringing back Horan who they never had a good relationship with first time around.

- I've never seen our passing game to be so bad. It was like watching a Junior club team, and I apologise to Junior teams for saying that! Absolutely brutal.

- We missed so many chances that could prove vital at the end of the group in terms of scoring difference. Some of them were ones that weren't that difficult either, while we hit the crossbar/post with a number that could have gone over just as easily as they went out.

- Clarke did have a good day at the office yesterday. Nobody can say otherwise. However, to change keeper now YET AGAIN would be madness. The Kerry players were getting the same ball as the Mayo lads but the difference is that they were able to win. Again, this is something that falls back to Management for not having a proper game plan in place.

- If there's anything left in this squad at all, I expect a monumental showing the next day and we could easily end up beating Meath out the gate. Or we could have witnessed the beginning of the end. It's coming. We need to face that.

- However, should we beat Meath, I really think we're on a hiding to nothing against Donegal. We don't play well in Castlebar but I think it will be a tight game, possibly even extra time, with the winners eventually shading it.

- I'll finish with a depressing point as the mood is dark: even if we manage to come out of the group, do we really want to get Dublin in a Semi Final and be on the end of a (I'll put it politely) very bad result? This squad does not need or deserve that after everything that they've done and everything that they've given us over the years. I hope it doesn't come to that and I'm sure the mood will improve in a few days, but emotions are very raw right now.

I better leave it at that, before I say something that I really regret.... :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Tickets up for Sunday on seasontickets.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tickets up for Sunday on seasontickets.ie

I didn’t take buy a friend tickets Cos they were 310
    Should have !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

In answer to part of your question............ Yes, you really should want to get to an All Ireland semi Final and play Dublin !

How many times have the team been written off? The Dubs were going to hammer you on lots of occasions, even in replays and did they? Things change quickly and they can for Mayo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    The plan for Clifford and Geaney was probably the same as the league final, i.e. win midfield and keep the ball away from them. Boyle was sweeping a fair bit so not sure what else could be done?

The only way to deal with the Kerry press from yesterday is a Beggan/Morgan style kickout to our half forward line. Clarke isn't able to do that as everyone knows. However, he's great under a high ball and makes very few blunders in general. That's the trade off.

Sorry I did not want to blame Clarke for all this, I would be very much in the Clarke camp and rate him as better goalie.

I think he was screwed once he had to go long to midfield.

And the absence of Ruane and Parsons totally lessens the midfield options.
    BandMember wrote: »
    A few thoughts (in no particular order) and the humour isn't good, so....

- The Kerry pundits played a blinder last week. All tipping Mayo to win, talking us up as title contenders and every single one of them used the exact same phrase in their analysis: Mayo bullied them twice this year in the league. Set the tone for everything. Wound up the entire county and their team. The Dublin pundits did the exact same thing every year we played them, all trotted out the same agenda everywhere in the media in the weeks leading up to the game. Every year our pundits have sat back and said nothing. Absolute useless bunch.

- David Moran and his antics before the throw in were something that everyone in the country (let alone the county) knew was coming. Except for James Horan and the players, it appears. They did not seem ready or able for it and it seemed to throw them off from before the game even began.

The problem is our pundits come from the generations of nice Mayo footballers.
    For instance anyone remember what the likes of Ciaran Whelan was like as a player.
    Not picking on him per say as I like him far more as a pundit than player.

People now complain Mayo are cynical, well as David Brady is fond of saying we were far too nice for far too long.
    We are just catching up with the rest.

In fact certain Kerry pundit has been very fond of pedaling the shyte about Mayo being ultra cynical.
    Kerry have always had the ones well versed in the dark arts.
    The much lauded Paidi O'Se openly writes in his book how he wound up Joe McNally before All Ireland final by booting him up the ar** during the national anthem.

You get the same shyte about Kerry as you do about Kilkenny in hurling, about how they are the purists, the really skilled ones as if they don't resort to dirty play or cynical play.
    I had real eye opener number of years ago at Kilkenny versus Waterford game in Croker.
    Always knew that Kilkenny team were ultra skillful with some of the games greatest ever.
    But the amount of digs they gave the likes of Malumphy and Mullane was unbelievable. It was obvious it was planned and concerted.

I guess the point is you win nothing with choirboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

BandMember wrote:
    - However, should we beat Meath, I really think we're on a hiding to nothing against Donegal. We don't play well in Castlebar but I think it will be a tight game, possibly even extra time, with the winners eventually shading it.

No extra time, if it's a draw, then it's one point each. Doesn't have to be a winner in this format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

If Donegal beat Kerry on Sunday that may be the end of us based on scoring difference etc.

So it's almost time to review the year

The league win was a great result, great to see some new fresh faces on the team too
    Pity the bad display v Roscommon and the injuries ruined any chance of a strong championship challenge.

I believe these players deserve a bit more than this. Let me put a more positive slant on your summation. Kerry beat Doneagal, we get over Meath and then a 2 week break until the big one in Castlebar. Ruane & Doc back into the squad. An unfancied Mayo rise to the occasion and send there Tir Conaill men packing. Then, the semi-final takes a different complexion. Dublin massive favourites and Mayo with nothing to lose. Essentially a shot to nothing against the greatest team of all time. Licking our lips we'd be. Win draw or lose at that stage you could say the season was a success. A fitting send off for Andy, Boyler & god knows whoever else. Let's keep going with these lads, don't write them off just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I believe these players deserve a bit more than this. Let me put a more positive slant on your summation. Kerry beat Doneagal, we get over Meath and then a 2 week break until the big one in Castlebar. Ruane & Doc back into the squad. An unfancied Mayo rise to the occasion and send there Tir Conaill men packing. Then, the semi-final takes a different complexion. Dublin massive favourites and Mayo with nothing to lose. Essentially a shot to nothing against the greatest team of all time. Licking our lips we'd be. Win draw or lose at that stage you could say the season was a success. A fitting send off for Andy, Boyler & god knows whoever else. Let's keep going with these lads, don't write them off just yet

Let's be even more optimistic. Dublin play Tyrone in a dead rubber in Omagh. Dublin rest half their team, like the Roscommon game last summer, and get turned over. Therefore we avoid the Dublin semi-final!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Let's be even more optimistic. Dublin play Tyrone in a dead rubber in Omagh. Dublin rest half their team, like the Roscommon game last summer, and get turned over. Therefore we avoid the Dublin semi-final!

Arguably a (very slightly) better chance of turning them over in the semi though

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Arguably a (very slightly) better chance of turning them over in the semi though

I hear people say this but I disagree. In a final you're guarunteed an equal spread of tickets which removes the crowd advantage. It would also be very hard after beating Dublin to back that performance up in a final. Donegal found that out in 14.

All hypothetical of course!

• Advertisement

There's a good chance our game against Donegal won't mean anything so

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    In answer to part of your question............ Yes, you really should want to get to an All Ireland semi Final and play Dublin !

How many times have the team been written off? The Dubs were going to hammer you on lots of occasions, even in replays and did they? Things change quickly and they can for Mayo too.
    Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This is totally the way to view it like the Coillte_Bhoy said. If we beat Meath, we still have a chance even if Donegal beat kerry. If you ever need the "one game at a time" line, now is it.
    This is the way the players need to view the situation otherwise we will be beaten by Meath. We had a bad performance and we still have a chance. I was so pessimistic after Sunday but we are still not out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Zeek12 wrote:
    Have a feeling Donegal will edge it.

I agree with you.
    And Meath to beat Kerry in Navan !!:)

That would work for you.

There is a sting in the super 8 group yet
    I felt there would likely be a draw in at least one the games when draw was made ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ah now lads, come on, if Donegal bt Kerry, we're done, there is no way an out of contention Meath are going to beat a Kerry team needing to win. Unless of course we absolutely hammer Meath and Donegal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think if we win our two games we'll qualify, it's been a very up and down year and the injuries have really hamstung our chances in having a serious say on the championship - if the bloody thing wasn't run off at breakneck speed that wouldn't be as much of an issue - we'd be heading into the quarter finals with a full strength team if it was the old system.

How they decided to not have a break between the end of the qualifiers and the end of the super 8s so semi finalists have time to breath is astounding in its stupidity. Instead they put a break between game 2 and 3 when at least two teams will be out already so they won't need a break.

Think the Super 8s as they are, will be a failure and its mainly because the games from qualifiers to semi finals are too condensed, won't be as much of a problem next year if this tier 2 goes ahead but I still think the whole thing is completely daft.

Anyway think Mayo will regroup and progress, we have the ability, we just need the belief.

Barlett wrote: »
    Anyway think Mayo will regroup and progress, we have the ability, we just need the belief.

It's not really about belief though. It's partially out of our hands. If Donegal beat Kerry, which I reckon they will, we are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

It's not really about belief though. It's partially out of our hands. If Donegal beat Kerry, which I reckon they will, we are done.

Ah it's all about belief, you go out and win well, no let up, take control and put it back in your hands. Win the two games and they'll qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Barlett wrote: »
    Ah it's all about belief, you go out and win well, no let up, take control and put it back in your hands. Win the two games and they'll qualify.

You can talk about belief all you want but it's not actually in our own hands, unfortunately

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement