Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Some subs bench.

Clarke
    Barrett
    Mortimor
    Nallen
    McLoughlin
    Seamus O’Shea
    Tom Parsons
    Hennelly
    Padden

Ronaldson and Sweeney were both excellent players, but both were just too small and light for intercounty.

Very good in today's terms but remember Nallen - who was a super servant - was about 2 years passed it at that stage, SOS, barrett, and McLoughlin wouldn't really become top players until 2011 (maybe more 2012 in Barrett's case), Tom parsons was a very divisive figure that time, and it would be 2014 before he really announced his presence.

I'd no idea Mike Sweeney made the panel before 2014 but I'd guess it was on the back of the under 21 campaign.

What it does show though is that JOM was very willing to integrate young players into the panel, even if they weren't really ready yet. Maybe he deserves a bit of credit himself for Mayo's rise a few years later, backboned by some of these guys he brought in when they were very raw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

All Ireland Minor Quarter Final

Mayo v Dublin

Saturday 27th July 2019 in Longford at 15.00

Should be a big crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo team named. three changes with Eoin O'Donoghue, Seamus O'Shea and Ciaran Treacy are in and Chris Barrett, Kevin McLoughlin & James Carr are out

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Eoin O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    7. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    8. Donal Vaughan - Castlebar Mitchels
    9. Seamus O’Shea - Breaffy
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy(C)
    12. Ciaran Treacy - Ballina Stephenites
    13. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    15. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

Mayo team named. three changes with Eoin O'Donoghue, Seamus O'Shea and Ciaran Treacy are in and Chris Barrett, Kevin McLoughlin & James Carr are out

5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts

Delighted to see Eoin O Donoghue finally get a start.Presume Donie will start in the half backs,Zippy reverting to centre half forward.

TBF no great surprise with any of the switches,Seamie is good for 50 minutes??

Thought Stephen Coen might lose out.Pretty happy overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    Delighted to see Eoin O Donoghue finally get a start.Presume Donie will start in the half backs,Zippy reverting to centre half forward.

TBF no great surprise with any of the switches,Seamie is good for 50 minutes??

Thought Stephen Coen might lose out.Pretty happy overall.
    Coen full back ?
    Vaughan to half back
    Zippy sweeping
    Aido to midfield
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Lisbon67

5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts

Hennelly has to come in imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Lisbon67 wrote:
    He really doesn't.

km79 wrote: »
    Coen full back ?
    Vaughan to half back
    Zippy sweeping
    Aido to midfield
    ?

Yeah Aido reverting to the middle,Zippy may sweep but he pushed up to the half forward line in the second half last week?

Coen's a decent bet for full back with Brendan Harrison returning to his natural home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

Lisbon67 wrote: »

Bar injury to Clarke it will be the only time we see him.will this be Clark’s last season Jesus I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Was reading the team from goalkeeper down and thought where the **** is Aido?!

Happy with that overall. Changes were needed and that's what we've got. Kev Mc and Carr are two players that will give us a lift when they're brought in.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Bar injury to Clarke it will be the only time we see him.will this be Clark’s last season Jesus I hope not

You can’t make a kick out strategy to account for the fact that the keeper can’t kick properly, especially this late in the day. Also, nothing even close to the level of collapse against Kerry can be allowed happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

You can’t make a kick out strategy to account for the fact that the keeper can’t kick properly, especially this late in the day. Also, nothing even close to the level of collapse against Kerry can be allowed happen again.

When the ball goes out the field and the opposition are also contesting, it can be a 50-50.
    We didnt come away with half of those long kickouts, or anything like it. The people at fault there are in the middle third. So really and truely, if people want to drop someone over that issue, then it should be aidan o'shea etc. Our biggest issue was our midfield lost too many 50-50s balls, and in fact a few 60-40s too.

Clarke is the easy target there, but he isnt the right one.
    He hit moran too often, fair enough. But the rest wasnt really his doing. Surely his team mates have caught enough of his kickouts at this stage to know the best wayto claim them - better than a gang of young kerry lads who never faced him before in their lives anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

When the ball goes out the field and the opposition are also contesting, it can be a 50-50.
    We didnt come away with half of those long kickouts, or anything like it. The people at fault there are in the middle third. So really and truely, if people want to drop someone over that issue, then it should be aidan o'shea etc. Our biggest issue was our midfield lost too many 50-50s balls, and in fact a few 60-40s too.

He hit moran too often, fair enough. But the rest wasnt really his doing. Surely his team mates have caught enough of his kickouts at this stage to know the best wayto claim them - better than a gang of young kerry lads who never faced him before in their lives anyway...

I think even Cluxton/Beggan would have struggled with the lack of options. We were out on our feet and hiding at restarts. In saying that Clarke was also poor,your taught at u12s to keep the kickouts away from their big men, yet Clarke pinged it at the best fielder in the country multiple times. Did it really matter, I don't think so given our aimless passing we were handing it straight back to Kerry anyways. Let's have less of our own kickouts on Sunday and hopefully this will be a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Ah now. The hanging nature of his kickouts is definitely part of the problem, and has been for some time. More than one manager has thought so too. He had a melter against Kerry and if it had been Hennelly in goal that day, his head would have rolled over it. Not gonna keep going on about it, cos Clarke is immune to criticism with a lot of people for some reason.

Anyway, probably the biggest surprise there is O'Donoghue coming in. Big game for him. Didn't seem like Horan really rated him given he never gave him a chance before this. Not too surprised that Kevin McLoughlin was dropped though I think Jason Doherty is lucky enough to be still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Yeah Aido reverting to the middle,Zippy may sweep but he pushed up to the half forward line in the second half last week?

Coen's a decent bet for full back with Brendan Harrison returning to his natural home.

Personally, I think Stephen Coen is not fast enough and in particular on the turn.

I'm not one for sentimentality but win, lose or draw - tomorrow could be the last time we see a few lads (all time greats at that) play inside Croke Park for us.

Let's hope we can give the type of performance that we've seen many times down throughout the years at HQ. I'm certainly more confident after seeing the starting 15, there's more than enough there to get the job done.

I'm not one for sentimentality but win, lose or draw - tomorrow could be the last time we see a few lads (all time greats at that) play inside Croke Park for us.

Let's hope we can give the type of performance that we've seen many times down throughout the years at HQ. I'm certainly more confident after seeing the starting 15, there's more than enough there to get the job done.

I feel after the Donegal game it will be the last we see of a few if tomorrow doesn’t go to plan I am expecting a win just going to be tight.also to note how quite the Rossies are after there great win in Castlebar against us.

I feel after the Donegal game it will be the last we see of a few if tomorrow doesn’t go to plan I am expecting a win just going to be tight.also to note how quite the Rossies are after there great win in Castlebar against us.

That might very well be the case. We're up against it trying to get out of this group. Hopefully it will be in our hands this day two weeks. Can't ask for anymore come 6pm tomorrow.

Before all round up to castigate him David Brady strongly hinted on OTB that Diarmuid would be in the match day 26 and be called for action if so required.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Before all round up to castigate him David Brady strongly hinted on OTB that Diarmuid would be in the match day 26 and be called for action if so required.:)

Took him awhile to come out with it :)

• Advertisement

Unless he can play with the cast on I doubt it

At the death of that Tyrone game Niall Morgan showed the difference between a keeper who can kick right and those who can’t, and the importance of it. After Cork pulling it back to a single score game, Tyrone faced a kick out. Cork pushed fully up looking for a goal. What did Morgan do? He drove it straight over the press and Tyrone were able to pick the ball and see out the game.

At the death of that Tyrone game Niall Morgan showed the difference between a keeper who can kick right and those who can’t, and the importance of it. After Cork pulling it back to a single score game, Tyrone faced a kick out. Cork pushed fully up looking for a goal. What did Morgan do? He drove it straight over the press and Tyrone were able to pick the ball and see out the game.

That ball was 50/50 and the Tyrone player did well to win it and retain the ball

Unless he can play with the cast on I doubt it

The cast at this stage could be precautionary in nature.

Just playing the devil's advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The cast at this stage could be precautionary in nature.

Just playing the devil's advocate.

Twas all mind games last weekend in Killarney. His wrist is fine, just trying to throw off the Royals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

That ball was 50/50 and the Tyrone player did well to win it and retain the ball

Exactly. Anything travelling that distance can be tracked by opposition players closeby and they can be under it when it comes down. There is a lot of bluster talked about kickouts. The reality is a lot of the time it depends on who is in front of you. Cluxton for example is a great kicker, but if he didnt have the likes of mccarthy, flynn in his day, fenton, howard etc on the end of them, he wouldnt be as effective. Those lads are kickout winning machines, and if he can pick them out, they wont lose it. But stick him in for waterford and his averages suffer and the press would be talking about somebody else.

As for clarkes kicks hanging in the air. While i agree they do, I would point out that they hang for both teams... If kerry can get to grips with winning them consistantly, then why cant we?

Exactly. Anything travelling that distance can be tracked by opposition players closeby and they can be under it when it comes down. There is a lot of bluster talked about kickouts. The reality is a lot of the time it depends on who is in front of you. Cluxton for example is a great kicker, but if he didnt have the likes of mccarthy, flynn in his day, fenton, howard etc on the end of them, he wouldnt be as effective. Those lads are kickout winning machines, and if he can pick them out, they wont lose it. But stick him in for waterford and his averages suffer and the press would be talking about somebody else.

As for clarkes kicks hanging in the air. While i agree they do, I would point out that they hang for both teams... If kerry can get to grips with winning them consistantly, then why cant we?

A major problem with Clarke's kickouts is that he oft kicks to outnumbered players.

Cluxton kicks into spaces which players are pre planned to run into.

Much more difficult for our static players (without the movement into zones as I mentioned earlier ) to win his kickouts with their hanging trajectory as opposed to opposition players who can come into them at a greater pace.

He is far too slow to get his kicks away especially for the short ones.How many times did he reset the tee in the first half last week?He has no way of disguising them either,he really does telegraph them.

In addition he doesn't have the length of kickout to beat the press.

When his default short kickout to his left malfunctions he's in bother,TBF the movement off of his kickouts last week was pretty shocking if I recall correctly.Cian Ward did an excellent analysis of it on the GAA hour the other night.

Anyway feeling a tad more optimistic about today irrespective of the weather forecast.

Totally depressed about the inevitable conclusion to this year's championship

First time (and not the last ) getting train from Claremorris . Packed with Mayo. Makes a nice change from the Galway one.
    The alcohol ban could be tested on way home though

First time (and not the last ) getting train from Claremorris . Packed with Mayo. Makes a nice change from the Galway one.
    The alcohol ban could be tested on way home though

In carriage e bring down any cans you have

• Advertisement

In carriage e bring down any cans you have

LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement