Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Donegal GAA tweeting that the game is on at 6pm on Saturday, Aig 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

You can talk about belief all you want but it's not actually in our own hands, unfortunately

How is it not in our own hands? As I said, it's up to ourselves to go out and reverse the scoring difference, something we have proven to be capable of doing in the past. If we're just worrying about Kerry v Donegal and thinking it's not in our own hands, well we might as well not turn up at the weekend and admit defeat now.

It's all in our own hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Seeing as we need Kerry to do us a favour against Donegal this weekend, would it be possible for Kerry to lose on purpose just to spite us and still manage to get through to the semis?

Barlett wrote: »
    How is it not in our own hands? As I said, it's up to ourselves to go out and reverse the scoring difference, something we have proven to be capable of doing in the past. If we're just worrying about Kerry v Donegal and thinking it's not in our own hands, well we might as well not turn up at the weekend and admit defeat now.

Im not going arguing about it ffs. But its not in our own hands, yes we should not be thinking about anything but beating Meath and after that hopefully Kerry will do the business and then its in our own hands, but if they dont we are screwed, its not rocket science. Donegal are +9, Kerry + 10 and us -10, you seriously expect us to turn that around? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Even if Donegal beat Kerry by just 1 point that still leaves a 20 point score difference between us and the other 2.

That will be nigh on impossible to over turn in 2 games against division 1 opposition.

• Advertisement

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Seeing as we need Kerry to do us a favour against Donegal this weekend, would it be possible for Kerry to lose on purpose just to spite us and still manage to get through to the semis?

ah jaysus

uUqeh.png

Im not going arguing about it ffs. But its not in our own hands, yes we should not be thinking about anything but beating Meath and after that hopefully Kerry will do the business and then its in our own hands, but if they dont we are screwed, its not rocket science. Donegal are +9, Kerry + 10 and us -10, you seriously expect us to turn that around? :pac:

I think we've all been watching Mayo long enough to know anything is possible ;)

None of us saw Mayo beating Roscommon by 22 points in 2017 after a draw in game one

Will be a great occasion if we still have something to play for!

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Even if Donegal beat Kerry by just 1 point that still leaves a 20 point score difference between us and the other 2.

That will be nigh on impossible to over turn in 2 games against division 1 opposition.

We beat Roscommon by 22 points when they were Division 1 opposition two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

To add to that, here's the scenario...
    Donegal win by a point against Kerry, then we need a 20 point turnaround over the two games against Meath and Donegal.
    So that's just a 10 point win over Meath, followed by a 5 point win over Donegal.

I'm afraid that's highly unlikely, so we are really dependent on a Kerry win this weekend.

It may still be mathematically possible should Donegal win, but highly unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

jmayo wrote: »
    Sorry I did not want to blame Clarke for all this, I would be very much in the Clarke camp and rate him as better goalie.

I think he was screwed once he had to go long to midfield.

And the absence of Ruane and Parsons totally lessens the midfield options.

The problem is our pundits come from the generations of nice Mayo footballers.
    For instance anyone remember what the likes of Ciaran Whelan was like as a player.
    Not picking on him per say as I like him far more as a pundit than player.

People now complain Mayo are cynical, well as David Brady is fond of saying we were far too nice for far too long.
    We are just catching up with the rest.

In fact certain Kerry pundit has been very fond of pedaling the shyte about Mayo being ultra cynical.
    Kerry have always had the ones well versed in the dark arts.
    The much lauded Paidi O'Se openly writes in his book how he wound up Joe McNally before All Ireland final by booting him up the ar** during the national anthem.

You get the same shyte about Kerry as you do about Kilkenny in hurling, about how they are the purists, the really skilled ones as if they don't resort to dirty play or cynical play.
    I had real eye opener number of years ago at Kilkenny versus Waterford game in Croker.
    Always knew that Kilkenny team were ultra skillful with some of the games greatest ever.
    But the amount of digs they gave the likes of Malumphy and Mullane was unbelievable. It was obvious it was planned and concerted.

I guess the point is you win nothing with choirboys.

Completely agree with you on both points - excellent post!!
    Let's be even more optimistic. Dublin play Tyrone in a dead rubber in Omagh. Dublin rest half their team, like the Roscommon game last summer, and get turned over. Therefore we avoid the Dublin semi-final!

Worst possible scenario for whoever would meet them from our group - you might catch Dublin once, but you won't catch them twice. Even the threat of a defeat is enough to spring them into life. That scenario is the last thing any of the remaining teams needs!
    I hear people say this but I disagree. In a final you're guaranteed an equal spread of tickets which removes the crowd advantage. It would also be very hard after beating Dublin to back that performance up in a final. Donegal found that out in 14.

All hypothetical of course!

Completely agree. In fact, should Dublin lose this year, I would probably back whoever is playing their victors (obviously, a lot will depend on how that happens).
    How they decided to not have a break between the end of the qualifiers and the end of the super 8s so semi finalists have time to breath is astounding in its stupidity. Instead they put a break between game 2 and 3 when at least two teams will be out already so they won't need a break.

Think the Super 8s as they are, will be a failure and its mainly because the games from qualifiers to semi finals are too condensed, won't be as much of a problem next year if this tier 2 goes ahead but I still think the whole thing is completely daft.

Anyway think Mayo will regroup and progress, we have the ability, we just need the belief.

Completely agree with you in terms of the break between the Quarters and Super 8's. Obviously, you'll have a certain cohort saying that it's all about momentum (show me one pundit who didn't use that phrase last week) but, apart from Tyrone, not one team from the Qualifier route won at the weekend. I've a feeling that this will be something that they will look at in the winter as they tweak the format.......and try to do as much as placate 32* other counties so that they can get away with not moving Dublin games out of Croke Park.

*For the sake of clarity, 32 + New York + London - Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hey only the Dubs are obliged to abbreviate August as Aig:P

They clearly didn't run that one past the Dublin G.A.A. President who said only last week that "Dublin games are always played on a Saturday night". Impartial or what... :rolleyes:

I'd imagine that is completely unofficial as they won't announce any schedules until they see how this weekend goes.

BandMember wrote: »
    They clearly didn't run that one past the Dublin G.A.A. President who said only last week that "Dublin games are always played on a Saturday night". Impartial or what... :rolleyes:

I'd imagine that is completely unofficial as they won't announce any schedules until they see how this weekend goes.

It's official alright, on GAA website

• Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BandMember wrote: »

Dublin played Roscommon last year in the quarter finals on a Sunday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Schhhhh Tod!

It's official alright, on GAA website

Yeah, I know - it's hard to do sarcasm on this forum.... :P :pac:

Happy enough with that to be honest. In terms of logistics of all 8 teams, it's not too bad - apart from Roscommon.

Yeah, on a Bank Holiday Sunday - the equivalent of a normal Saturday for both players and supporters. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pineapple1 wrote: »

Both teams will want to top the group to avoid a possible semi final showdown with Dublin,so a win is everything.

So that's a big fat no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Minors are out against Dublin in the All Ireland minor quarter final on the weekend Saturday July 27th 2019.

Other clashes

Kildare Galway

Monaghan Cork

Kerry Tyrone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Squatman

Where are ye getting a 20 point score difference from? We're 10 down, we need to lose again by 10 to have a 20 point score difference?

Squatman wrote: »
    Where are ye getting a 20 point score difference from? We're 10 down, we need to lose again by 10 to have a 20 point score difference?

We're -10 at the moment, Donegal are +9. A win for Donegal this weekend and they will be at least +10, if not more.

We're -10 at the moment, Donegal are +9. A win for Donegal this weekend and they will be at least +10, if not more.

Mayo do 2017 replay on it and win by 23.
    Donegal beat Kerry by 1.

Final game
    Mayo beat Donegal by 4
    Kerry beat Meath by 7.

So Mayo top the group with 4 pts and a +17 average
    Kerry come second with 4 pts and a +16 average
    Donegal come third with 4 points and a +6 average

Happy days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Donegal beat Kerry by 1.

Final game
    Mayo beat Donegal by 4
    Kerry beat Meath by 7.

Happy days.

Send on the lotto numbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Donegal beat Kerry by 1.

Final game
    Mayo beat Donegal by 4
    Kerry beat Meath by 7.

Happy days.

You've seen it here first folks :-)

We're down but not out.

yop wrote: »
    Send on the lotto numbers :)

In the OP of the championship thread I called Connacht a two horse race between Mayo and Galway and also said that if Kerry were to meet Mayo in the first qf game in Killarney it would be the end of their 24 year winning streak.

So you are better off without the Lotto numbers

Donegal beat Kerry by 1.

Final game
    Mayo beat Donegal by 4
    Kerry beat Meath by 7.

Happy days.

Can you imagine those last few minutes in MacHale Park if this transpired :eek: Broken radios/phones and heart attacks all round.

btw did you also grow up following Ireland's desperate attempts to qualify for a big tournament in the 80's? We were all experts in permutations and goal difference etc back then

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

This is not meant to be condescending in any way but just reading this thread, Mayo supporters resilience absolutely amazes me. The emotional swings, going from anger to despair to light at the end of the tunnel is nothing short of amazing. I live in Philadelphia and as a result know a lot of ex-pat Mayomen, this forum reflects their outlook to a tee. With all you have been through over the years I just find it great. I really hope you win one soon for all of your sakes.

We could actually lose to Meath and still go through, providing Kerry hammer Donegal (by 10 or more would be nice), then beat Meath by a few points, we beat Donegal and go through on points difference :pac:

• Advertisement

We could actually lose to Meath and still go through, providing Kerry hammer Donegal (by 10 or more would be nice), then beat Meath by a few points, we beat Donegal and go through on points difference :pac:

That would be brilliant

The likes of Brolly would lose his mind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement