Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Daibheid wrote: »
    This time I rang to ask how to claim compensation But the helpful person asked me to hold while they got on to the warehouse.
    So they found both parcels. One has been there since October. No explanation, e.g. that my ID number was missing, apparently it’s not unusual.

Did they keep you on the line while they checked with the warehouse? Every time I call, I get told that they'll contact the warehouse, and the warehouse will mail me back (which they don't). Still missing an item that was delivered there in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

How long does it generally take from arrival at u.s. depot to it showing as received? Sitting on three days delivered now. Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Quackster wrote: »
    If you order a lithium battery from a reputable source, there will be an impossible-to-miss sticker on the package to alert An Post as to the contents being a lithium battery. An Post can then make an informed decision as to whether to process it or not. I would assume they send such packages over on the ferry.

You're assuming that all sources are reputable. All AddressPal goes by air as it is parcel. Their informed decision is to not ship them, so they are on their prohibited list.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

whiterebel wrote: »
    You're assuming that all sources are reputable. All AddressPal goes by air as it is parcel. Their informed decision is to not ship them, so they are on their prohibited list.
    Not assuming anything, I'm only talking about parcels bought from reputable sources. An Post may want to consider hiring staff that actually pay attention to the labels on the packages. Lithium battery labels are not put on parcels for the fun of it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not assuming anything, I'm only talking about parcels bought from reputable sources. An Post may want to consider hiring staff that actually pay attention to the labels on the packages. Lithium battery labels are not put on parcels for the fun of it!

I don’t know why you are making this so complicated. AP don’t know who is shipping into them, “reputable” or not. I imagine they wouldn’t have time to check either. Their policy is to open all incoming parcels because of the big prohibited list they have. With Brexit checks will become more stringent, not less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I don’t know why you are making this so complicated. AP don’t know who is shipping into them, “reputable” or not. I imagine they wouldn’t have time to check either. Their policy is to open all incoming parcels because of the big prohibited list they have. With Brexit checks will become more stringent, not less.
    I'm just pointing out that AddressPal doesn't seem to pay any attention to lithium battery labels on packages that they receive. That's all. My mention of reputable sellers was on the basis that one would imagine disreputable sellers wouldn't likely bother affixing the required labeling on their packages. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

I'm just pointing out that AddressPal doesn't seem to pay any attention to lithium battery labels on packages that they receive. That's all. My mention of reputable sellers was on the basis that one would imagine disreputable sellers wouldn't likely bother affixing the required labeling on their packages. :)

I suppose The people ordering stuff from retailers in UK should know the item/s they ordered will/could contain a lithium battery and shouldn't be sending the item in the first place to their address pal address if it's prohibited by address pal

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Thoie wrote: »
    Did they keep you on the line while they checked with the warehouse? Every time I call, I get told that they'll contact the warehouse, and the warehouse will mail me back (which they don't). Still missing an item that was delivered there in November.

The first time I rang he couldn’t look up my ref number, claimed he couldn’t get through to the warehouse and gave me the email for the warehouse. Turns out he never logged the call against my account t which tells me he wasn’t following protocol and keeping his lame effort off the record.

The email for the warehouse doesn’t get checked frequently and is backlogged. When you call insist you’ll wait while they contact the warehouse. At least then you’ll find out whether they have your parcel but you still might not get it!

I currently get hung up on after a few rings so support is currently inaccessible by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

ColdTurkey wrote: »
    How long does it generally take from arrival at u.s. depot to it showing as received? Sitting on three days delivered now. Thanks

I only did it once but took about a week to notify me. They are dirt cheap when you compare the prices of other couriers but the goods will be inspected and customs charges applied if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Am I too late to order from amazon uk via addresspal and collect in post office? Item not needed for Christmas. Addresspal says its ending post office collection on 1/01/21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

timple23 wrote: »
    Am I too late to order from amazon uk via addresspal and collect in post office? Item not needed for Christmas. Addresspal says its ending post office collection on 1/01/21.

an post is only open for 4 more days between now and then i think so id say you are.

an post is only open for 4 more days between now and then i think so id say you are.

They are giving guranteed delivery by 24th to UK warehouse so I'm going to chance it.

They are giving guranteed delivery by 24th to UK warehouse so I'm going to chance it.

If there are no flights they might not move it from AddressPal. Depending on the value you may get stung for Customs if it arrives after 1st jan.

If there are no flights they might not move it from AddressPal. Depending on the value you may get stung for Customs if it arrives after 1st jan.

Under 10 euro. I thought goods/freight transport wasn't cancelled. (I know there would be freight on passenger planes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

What do I need to do if I want to use AddressPal after Jan 1?

Have this address listed for PO pick up:

<my name>
    APW <xxxxxxx>
    AddressPal
    The Beacon
    Mosquito Way
    Hatfield
    AL10 9WN

And this listed for Home Delivery:

<my name>
    APW <xxxxxxx>
    AddressPal
    The Beacon
    Mosquito Way
    Hatfield
    AL10 9WN

... but the two addresses are exactly the same. Do I need to do anything or will the PO pick address just disappear from my account on 1 Jan?

leck wrote: »
    What do I need to do if I want to use AddressPal after Jan 1?

Have this address listed for PO pick up:

<my name>
    APW <xxxxxxx>
    AddressPal
    The Beacon
    Mosquito Way
    Hatfield
    AL10 9WN

And this listed for Home Delivery:

<my name>
    APW <xxxxxxx>
    AddressPal
    The Beacon
    Mosquito Way
    Hatfield
    AL10 9WN

... but the two addresses are exactly the same. Do I need to do anything or will the PO pick address just disappear from my account on 1 Jan?

The numbers after APW should be different. Interestingly on addresspal website it is only showing a home delivery address.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Theres only one number now, the APW one - once it arrives at the depot and you've paid any charges, you'll be given the option of home delivery, or collection at a PO

• Registered Users Posts: 31 joebass

joebass wrote: »
    I've just been charged by AddressPal for an item from the USA that I didn't order

I've rang the number on the website and after following the list of options got booted off the call by the option I chose ...not very helpful, I didn't order anything so they deemed me not worthy of being on the support line. :rolleyes:

So, I've emailed them asking them to refund / cancel the €41.99 charge pending on my account

I also asked them to delete my bank card details, clearly they can't be trusted now.

Has anyone dealt with a similar issue? and are they quick to resolve them?

Follow up on my initial problem

I received a reply 8 days later on the 16th of December. They asked me to refuse the parcel, then contact for refund. I had already received a refund for the payment after cancelling my bank card (which is great at this time of year).

The parcel then arrived earlier today while I was away and there was a further customs charge of €30 approx, which was paid even though I'd said I needed to refuse any parcel coming today, but that's a different problem.

I then opened it, to be sure it wasn't for me, knowing full well everything I've ordered recently has been accounted for.

And it turns out it's a gun case :eek: :eek: :confused:
    A big 52" sniper rifle sized gun case.
    And I admit I was disappointed there was no gun inside, that would have made this already perfect situation so much more interesting.

Anyway, someone isn't getting their AK47 case for Christmas, I'm sure they will be highly disappointed.

Obviously I'm going to have to return this now. I'm not messing with someone who needs a gun case this size. :eek: :eek:

HOFz4JQ.jpg
    c3If9sF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Follow up on my initial problem

I received a reply 8 days later on the 16th of December. They asked me to refuse the parcel, then contact for refund. I had already received a refund for the payment after cancelling my bank card (which is great at this time of year).

The parcel then arrived earlier today while I was away and there was a further customs charge of €30 approx, which was paid even though I'd said I needed to refuse any parcel coming today, but that's a different problem.

I then opened it, to be sure it wasn't for me, knowing full well everything I've ordered recently has been accounted for.

And it turns out it's a gun case :eek: :eek: :confused:
    A big 52" sniper rifle sized gun case.
    And I admit I was disappointed there was no gun inside, that would have made this already perfect situation so much more interesting.

Anyway, someone isn't getting their AK47 case for Christmas, I'm sure they will be highly disappointed.

Obviously I'm going to have to return this now. I'm not messing with someone who needs a gun case this size. :eek: :eek:

MG]G]
    You paid the €30 customs?

Thargor wrote: »
    You paid the €30 customs?

I didn't pay it myself personally, but someone here did while I was away earlier. So, yes it was paid.

The parcel is addressed to me. They sent me a condescending email about not having the correct address label on it. I guess they randomly picked me as the new destination for it when they didn't know who it was for, instead of maybe first contacting me like a sane person would.

*Edit: It was paid on delivery earlier today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

50% chance thats for an Airsoft imitation.

ED E wrote: »
    50% chance thats for an Airsoft imitation.

Most likely, but if they don't come back for it it's also the perfect size for an electric bass:D:cool:
    And cheap at €30. They've been contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If nots collected I'd be interested in it

Most likely, but if they don't come back for it it's also the perfect size for an electric bass:D:cool:
    And cheap at €30. They've been contacted.

This is why I use revolut virtual card and freeze it. So they cannot actually take money off me until I manually unfreeze card.

Only downside is it may take a day or two longer for the item to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

This is why I use revolut virtual card and freeze it. So they cannot actually take money off me until I manually unfreeze card.

Only downside is it may take a day or two longer for the item to arrive.

That's interesting timple, I had not thought of this. Presumably, you wait for AnPost to advise you of the cost and you then unfreeze the card in order to process the delivery? I would have thought that there might be a risk that the goods would be returned by AP, if payment was declined. I have not signed up for the new arrangement due to reservations about credit card details etc.

Maidhci wrote: »
    That's interesting timple, I had not thought of this. Presumably, you wait for AnPost to advise you of the cost and you then unfreeze the card in order to process the delivery? I would have thought that there might be a risk that the goods would be returned by AP, if payment was declined. I have not signed up for the new arrangement due to reservations about credit card details etc.

I have only ordered to home delivery once. But from memory they email you saying there is an error with payment, just like they would email you to see if you were expecting a package and the sender hasn't put the full correct address on it.

For example if you were ordering via addresspal today you could unfreeze your card today, once payment is taken, freeze card again.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

With a Brexit EU deal agreed today, does anyone know will we still have to pay Vat/customs duty on UK purchases? Will the virtual address services be back in business soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Brian2011 wrote: »
    With a Brexit EU deal agreed today, does anyone know will we still have to pay Vat/customs duty on UK purchases? Will the virtual address services be back in business soon?
    reading articles prob exception for general goods etc, but UK will be outside EU, so customs etc will be in place, as even if goods are tarriff free it will be treated as coming from outside EU, which makes all the virtual services non feasible unless theres some grey area that will be applied.

Brian2011 wrote: »

No one knows yet. It still has to be ratified by the EU Ambassadors. There is a sticky thread already about it, which will be updated as we get more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

No one knows yet. It still has to be ratified by the EU Ambassadors. There is a sticky thread already about it, which will be updated as we get more information.

The problem really is the loss of free delivery to the UK.Most UK websites base their charges on British postcodes and load on the charges to the ROI. Do the Irish customs officers really want the job of opening and inspecting every package from Amazon ? Frankly I doubt they have the capacity for what would be a logistical nightmare.
    Hopefully the virtual address companies will find a workaround to keep them in business.

Advertisement