Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

christy c wrote: »
    If Biffo got the job because he made decisions that favoured Dinny (effectively a bribe), how would that not be criminal?

"Biffo" got the job because he was the best person for it I would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    No regard for the working tax payer who needs state aid to make rent. #veryvaradkar

The numbers are growing too. You can tell by how FG fares in elections.

Eh, the homeless numbers are going down.

You have been shown the figures several times, yet you keep repeating this falsehood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blanch152 wrote: »

You have been shown the figures several times, yet you keep repeating this falsehood.

You know why they are down and every person who knows anything about them, have said they will shoot straight back up.

Even if they "are getting better" its still the worst homeless crisis ever cause by FG who are in power nearly a decade now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ditto. They quadrupled over the last few years and went down as expected because of Covid. Told you this weeks ago with links. Told you this the other day with the same links. Same goes for A&E visits and haircuts.

Forgetful much?

:)

I didn't mention slavish anything...I said you were at odds with him.

You believe SF are not serious about government, he very clearly believes they were.

Whose view is the most accurate...the guy whose incessantly grinding axe is legendary on this site or the guy that was actually in talks with them who has no axe to grind with them?

Hmmmmm...let me see...

So you believe Eamon was sincere when he said SF were serious about going into government and I don’t. I believe he was keeping his options open.

He knows that Sinn Fein will have to swallow more than anyone else to get the Greens because of the carbon tax. Whatever about this deal, there is no chance of a deal without carbon tax getting through a Green conference, so if Eamon is sincere, he is saying that SF are prepared to throw everything they stand for out the window in order to go into government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So you believe Eamon was sincere when he said SF were serious about going into government and I don’t. I believe he was keeping his options open.

He knows that Sinn Fein will have to swallow more than anyone else to get the Greens because of the carbon tax. Whatever about this deal, there is no chance of a deal without carbon tax getting through a Green conference, so if Eamon is sincere, he is saying that SF are prepared to throw everything they stand for out the window in order to go into government.

You keep your disputes with your leader to yourself.

He has publicly and adamantly disputed your theory that SF are not serious about government.

I.E. You are at 'odds' with the leadership of the party you vote for. Which is what I said.

You also don't seem to know how they work as a party in a pretty major way.

So FF members have said they would be willing to talk to SF.

You stated "No member of FF wants to go near SF"

If you say so, but the one article you brought as "proof" said they would consider it.

Nobody said they are actually going to do it

But, please do post that article again.....the headline is such a good one compared to what it actually is :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Any proof of these claims.

I heard Kim Jong-Un actually makes the decisions, no proof either

Mary Lou is a yappy meat puppet on a stick. Who do you think cotrols her? Its not Arlene Foster. Or do you think she pops off to see Slab and the boys and issues orders to them? I'd say they barely tolerate her

The big question is what do SF stand for?

Shefwedfan wrote: »

S = Sinn F = Fein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Themselves alone. The clue is in the name

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Truthvader wrote: »
    Themselves alone. The clue is in the name

The clue is in the name, lol.

I suppose like aontú meaning separate together, the clue is in the name.

If you say so, but the one article you brought as "proof" said they would consider it.

Nobody said they are actually going to do it

But, please do post that article again.....the headline is such a good one compared to what it actually is :-)

1 minute "No member of FF wants to go near SF"

Next Post "said they would consider it"

So which is it, they either want nothing to do with them or they would consider it?

1. https://www.irishpost.com/news/fianna-fail-td-open-coalition-talks-sinn-fein-irish-people-want-179354
    WANTS TALKS

2. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/calls-from-within-fianna-f%C3%A1il-for-martin-to-enter-talks-with-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4194299

Theres loads more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

So which is it, they either want nothing to do with them or they would consider it?

1. https://www.irishpost.com/news/fianna-fail-td-open-coalition-talks-sinn-fein-irish-people-want-179354
    WANTS TALKS

2. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/calls-from-within-fianna-f%C3%A1il-for-martin-to-enter-talks-with-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4194299

Theres loads more

The only reason FF will try avoid coalition with SF is that they'd probably fade away as a party.

That looks like happening with FG coalition as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

You should back up that inference or withdraw it.
    Doing a pal a solid can be just that. Was Varadkar trying to bribe Trump when he called Clare Co.Co.? Was Lowry taking a bribe when he awar...oh, wait.
    I'm sure the AIB lad had more than AIB melting down on his C.V..

Christy, I get the impression you are more interested in trying to trip me up than discussing anything. Each to his own.

I was making a point that Cowen getting a job would be a bribe if he had done anything in return while in office. Not suggesting he did in the slightest.

I'm not sure why Leo called about Trump, but he wasn't going to personally benefit from that (at least that we know of). If he called on the promise of getting a job when he retires, that would be a bribe.

I'm not trying to trip you up, I am calling out what I see as nonsense. You have clearly implied corruption previously (you actually said you believed politicians were getting something in return) so it is reasonable to assume that you still are implying there is corruption. However if you are now saying you don't believe there was any corruption, then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

"Biffo" got the job because he was the best person for it I would expect.

Yes I agree, I wasn't trying to imply he did anything out of the way. His name was brought up so I tried to use that as an example.

WANTS TALKS

Theres loads more

Do you read the article at all?

The first one
    When asked if he would work with Sinn Féin in the 33rd Dáil, Mr McAuliffe told The Irish Post that "the volume of the change" seen in the recent election "makes us all question what we would do".

The second article doesn't even have a comment from FF at all in regards to joining SF

What do you want them to say to the press?

No I aint joining that shower of *****. How many articles will you post with TD's saying in polite terms they dont want anything to do with SF before you get the message

As I said, if MM went to talk to SF now it would be the death of the party, end of story. They would lose every single member

Do you read the article at all?

The first one
    When asked if he would work with Sinn Féin in the 33rd Dáil, Mr McAuliffe told The Irish Post that "the volume of the change" seen in the recent election "makes us all question what we would do".

The second article doesn't even have a comment from FF at all in regards to joining SF

What do you want them to say to the press?

No I aint joining that shower of *****. How many articles will you post with TD's saying in polite terms they dont want anything to do with SF before you get the message

As I said, if MM went to talk to SF now it would be the death of the party, end of story. They would lose every single member

You said No member of FF want to go near SF.

You were Wrong no matter what way you put it

You said No membe of FF want to go near SF.

You were Wrong no matter what way you put it

Have you read your "proof"???

You can say I am wrong when FF come out and say they are sitting down for talks with SF

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Whether you are or not is irrelevant. Speaking on the comment you made.
    I hope not. I'd expect SF would be pushing for a UI. All parties should be IMO. A more noble agenda than looking after pals, although I'd expect there'd be that too. It's just FF/FG can't talk up their roles in the peace process then talk like it never happened depending on how high SF are in the polls that day or if MLMD asked Varadkar a question he didn't care to answer.

You'd honestly put a UI before homelessness, health, direct provision and the environment?
    That's absolutely the craziest thing I've heard. I'd love to see the results of the next election if SF came out and said that to folks.

• Advertisement

Have you read your "proof"???

You can say I am wrong when FF come out and say they are sitting down for talks with SF

You were wrong Shef...stop digging.

There are members of FF who have no issue talking to SF.

Sheff says no they are not, he knows each and every one of them

Who????

Sheff says no they are not, he knows each and every one of them

No I dont, but I know how to read an article and not just a headline.....

Who????

Michael Martin, when he thought he had 50 seats on the night of the election and when he again opened the door yesterday talking about mandates. (You can pretend all you want that he wasn't using the classic wording of a sleeveen climb down...we'll just get on with our lives)

John McGuinness
    Eamonn O Cúiv
    Jim O'Callaghan if the circumstances were right.

numerous councillors, mayors etc.

Ditto. They quadrupled over the last few years and went down as expected because of Covid. Told you this weeks ago with links. Told you this the other day with the same links. Same goes for A&E visits and haircuts.

Forgetful much?

They weren't "expected" to go down because of Covid - that was a narrative painted by the poverty industry after the event, but not before.

In fact, if you go back to the start of the crisis, the same poverty industry were out there saying that the crisis would increase homelessness.

The numbers have been on a downward trajectory since November last year, with a big fall in December, before an increase in January, but the downward trend has been apparent since last year.

Michael Martin, when he thought he had 50 seats on the night of the election and when he again opened the door yesterday talking about mandates. (You can pretend all you want that he wasn't using the classic wording of a sleeveen climb down...we'll just get on with our lives)

John McGuinness
    Eamonn O Cúiv
    Jim O'Callaghan if the circumstances were right.

numerous councillors, mayors etc.

You posted this before and then had nothing to back it up, so lets go around this AGAIN. So when did MM say this?

On the other 3, not that I don't believe you but please point to where they said this?

Or the numerous councillors/mayors etc? as you seem to know them all

You posted this before and then had nothing to back it up, so lets go around this AGAIN. So when did MM say this?

On the other 3, not that I don't believe you but please point to where they said this?

Or the numerous councillors/mayors etc? as you seem to know them all

As I said, you can ignore the language he used (on two occaisions) now, that is recognised 'door opening political speak' by the media and anyone honest.

The rest of us will move on.

You were wrong Shef, there are people in FF who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Which shuffle are you asking about, the election count one or the one the other day?
    For the former one, the line was "I’m a democrat. I listen to the people, I respect the decision of the people.”
    For the latter,
    "I have no mandate to speak to Sinn Féin. [note the present tense] Our parliamentary party gave me a clear mandate to engage with Fine Gael and other like-minded parties in terms of policies."

In both cases, if the position definitively remained as it was before the election, all he needed to say was "FF will not be going into government with SF under any circumstances."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

christy c wrote: »
    I was making a point that Cowen getting a job would be a bribe if he had done anything in return while in office. Not suggesting he did in the slightest.

I'm not sure why Leo called about Trump, but he wasn't going to personally benefit from that (at least that we know of). If he called on the promise of getting a job when he retires, that would be a bribe.

I'm not trying to trip you up, I am calling out what I see as nonsense. You have clearly implied corruption previously (you actually said you believed politicians were getting something in return) so it is reasonable to assume that you still are implying there is corruption. However if you are now saying you don't believe there was any corruption, then fair enough.

Hardly nonsense. You are pulling up previous comments and asking loaded questions while adding nothing.
    I do believe they are getting something in return. A bribe is not the same as hiring someone you like because they acted in a way you like. You have to be very careful using such terms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement