Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,160 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    How am I at odds with them? They have agreed a PfG that I am happy with. I expect that a majority of Green members will be shown to agree with me tomorrow, whether that is a 2/3 majority is the question.

You are imagining something that doesn't exist.

The leader of the party you vote for believes they(SF) were serious about going into government.
    You don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Fianna Fáil mayor Ian Doyle said he was "totally against" coalition with Fine Gael. "We canvassed this election on change," Mr Doyle said, before adding: "We didn't mean this insisting Mr Martin talks all parties

Young Kelly herslef, https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/its-clear-sinn-fein-are-locked-out-of-talks-martin-comes-under-fire-from-ff-members-999272.html

So he was against going in with FG but never said anything about SF?? is that what you are saying

Really you are grasping at straws with this argument for two days now. As I said, FF came out during and after the election saying they wouldnt go in with SF. Nothing has changed.

With all first preferences counted, it has 24.5% compared to 22.2% for Fianna Fáil and 20.9% for Fine Gael.

This time last week, SF were not getting mentioned as everyone thought Govt formation was done and now they are ****ting it again

Its fantastic.

I dont remember first preference ever discussed so much as this election.

I hate to tell you election are won and lost on seats. I have said this multiple times but people seem to ignore to suit an argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So he was against going in with FG but never said anything about SF?? is that what you are saying

Really you are grasping at straws with this argument for two days now. As I said, FF came out during and after the election saying they wouldnt go in with SF. Nothing has changed.

Eh https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/martin-opens-the-door-to-coalition-with-sinn-fein-38941313.html

This was already posted by Francie and a few others. Same response

Tip is not to just read the headline. This is what it says:
    Asked about a coalition with Sinn Féin, he said: "I'm a democrat," before adding, "I listen to the people, I respect the decision of the people."
    Then it says

"Just because we talk to a party doesn't mean we are going into coalition with them," a source said.

Then

However, Fianna Fáil's finance spokesperson Michael McGrath said coalition with Sinn Féin was not a "runner" because they were "poles apart" on economic policy.

Fianna Fáil's justice spokesperson Jim O'Callaghan also shot down any suggestion of a coalition with Sinn Féin.

Plus more and more saying they wouldn't

As I said, read the article not the headline. Your not the first of the SF people on here to make that mistake

It is worth noting what they missed in the headline as well

Meanwhile, Mr Varadkar said that a coalition between Fine Gael and Sinn Féin is "not an option" and compared such an outcome to a "forced marriage".

• Advertisement

Fianna Fáil's justice spokesperson Jim O'Callaghan also shot down any suggestion of a coalition with Sinn Féin.

But later on he said this:
    Senior Fianna Fáil TD Jim O'Callaghan has opened the door to government talks with Sinn Féin, saying his party was "maybe too definitive" in ruling it out during the election.

His comments come amid growing disquiet in Fianna Fáil over Micheál Martin's leadership, which several senior TDs have privately criticised in recent days, one saying "his days are numbered".

Allies of Mr Martin criticised Mr O'Callaghan's intervention last night, saying it had hampered the party's efforts to form a government with Fine Gael and the Green Party.

The party's justice spokesman, who has been touted by some as a future Fianna Fáil leader, told RTÉ yesterday he was "not ruling in or out anything" when asked about the possibility of forming a national government involving Fianna Fáil, Sinn Féin, Fine Gael and other parties to tackle the coronavirus outbreak

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/martin-under-fire-as-ocallaghan-opens-the-door-to-sinn-fein-39027236.html

Pay attention Shef.

FF are that sleeveen in the way they do politics not even their supporters can keep up.

This was already posted by Francie and a few others. Same response

Tip is not to just read the headline. This is what it says:
    Asked about a coalition with Sinn Féin, he said: "I'm a democrat," before adding, "I listen to the people, I respect the decision of the people."
    Then it says

"Just because we talk to a party doesn't mean we are going into coalition with them," a source said.

Then

However, Fianna Fáil's finance spokesperson Michael McGrath said coalition with Sinn Féin was not a "runner" because they were "poles apart" on economic policy.

Plus more and more saying they wouldn't

As I said, read the article not the headline. Your not the first of the SF people on here to make that mistake

It is worth noting what they missed in the headline as well

Meanwhile, Mr Varadkar said that a coalition between Fine Gael and Sinn Féin is "not an option" and compared such an outcome to a "forced marriage".

Your exact words yesterday "No member of FF wants to go near SF"

https://extra.ie/2020/03/06/news/politics/martin-rejection-sinn-fein

Do they not no

Even IF MM wanted to go to SF the rest of the party won't allow it. Simple as that.

If FF did go to SF it doesn't matter about 13% they will be at 0%.

No member of FF wants to go near SF.

Guess you were wrong again

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The leader of the party you vote for believes they(SF) were serious about going into government.
    You don't.

Are you suggesting that because I vote for the Greens, I have to slavishly accept every word out of their leader's mouth. Remember, I am not a Sinn Fein voter, so not stuck to defending everything the Dear Leader says.

In relation to Ryan's comment, you may have the opinion that he sincerely believes that SF were serious about going into government, I may have the opinion that he doesn't believe it at all, and was only saying it to allow him to have the option of further discussions with Sinn Fein.

The Greens won't get their carbon tax from Sinn Fein, neither will they get many of the other Green measures that FF and FG signed up to. If Michael D. sends everyone back to talks, the realisation will dawn on reluctant Greens that the best deal in town is the FF/FG one.

Are you suggesting that because I vote for the Greens, I have to slavishly accept every word out of their leader's mouth. Remember, I am not a Sinn Fein voter, so not stuck to defending everything the Dear Leader says.

In relation to Ryan's comment, you may have the opinion that he sincerely believes that SF were serious about going into government, I may have the opinion that he doesn't believe it at all, and was only saying it to allow him to have the option of further discussions with Sinn Fein.

The Greens won't get their carbon tax from Sinn Fein, neither will they get many of the other Green measures that FF and FG signed up to. If Michael D. sends everyone back to talks, the realisation will dawn on reluctant Greens that the best deal in town is the FF/FG one.

Your forgetting Martin will ring Mary Lou Friday if Greens say no and be no need for a new election. The Greens opened the door last night to join them.

• Advertisement

:)

I didn't mention slavish anything...I said you were at odds with him.

You believe SF are not serious about government, he very clearly believes they were.

Whose view is the most accurate...the guy whose incessantly grinding axe is legendary on this site or the guy that was actually in talks with them who has no axe to grind with them?

Hmmmmm...let me see...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

and Sinn Fein still came out on top. Sinn Fein (according to some a party of murderers, criminals and led by the IRA in West Belfast) got more votes than FG.
    2 whole percentage points. Wow.
    Whipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Christ, the Shinnerbots on Twitter are hopping mad today. You’d think the growing prospect of a government involving them would make them happy. Doesn’t appear so. At all.

Your exact words yesterday "No member of FF wants to go near SF"

https://extra.ie/2020/03/06/news/politics/martin-rejection-sinn-fein

Do they not no

Guess you were wrong again

Don't worry. It won't happen.....

Maybe comment on the article you posted but never read :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Christ, the Shinnerbots on Twitter are hopping mad today. You’d think the growing prospect of a government involving them would make them happy. Doesn’t appear so. At all.
    Can't hurl from the ditches when you're in government

It's the heat and flies, it get's to them awful :P

Don't worry. It won't happen.....

Maybe comment on the article you posted but never read :p

So FF members have said they would be willing to talk to SF.

You stated "No member of FF wants to go near SF"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Funnily enough you did with Enda, and are doing so with Leo too.

Have you ever stopped and considered if you're more natural home might be with the staunchly anti shinner FG, than the fuzzy wuzzy loved up greens?

Think it over chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

This quote is doing the rounds at the minute and I think you should read it and think about it long and hard. It was the theme of our last election and will also be the theme of the next one.

Full employment is not a worsening social outcome. Lets see how it goes if Sinn Fein get in and we have zero growth and a corrupted state. Plus the shame of being represented abroad by morons like Chris Andrews or Angus O'Snodaigh or by sociopaths like Dessie Ellis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Your forgetting Martin will ring Mary Lou Friday if Greens say no and be no need for a new election. The Greens opened the door last night to join them.

He might as well ring slab or Gerry. Why call the monkey when the organ grinder will call the .....er "shots"

• Advertisement

Truthvader wrote: »
    Full employment is not a worsening social outcome.

Let's gloss over record breaking crisis in Housing and Health and revert to some bile about being embarrassed internationally.

He might as well ring slab or Gerry. Why call the monkey when the organ grinder will call the .....er "shots"

Any proof of these claims.

I heard Kim Jong-Un actually makes the decisions, no proof either

Full employment is not a worsening social outcome. Lets see how it goes if Sinn Fein get in and we have zero growth and a corrupted state. Plus the shame of being represented abroad by morons like Chris Andrews or Angus O'Snodaigh or by sociopaths like Dessie Ellis

Having thousands and thousands on CE schemes and FAS courses is not full employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

christy c wrote: »
    I discussed this with you a some time ago and you believed the motive for looking after the rich (forget the exact term) was that politicians were getting something in return, i.e. were corrupt. Have you changed your mind in the meantime?

No not at all. If you recall we also discussed that not all cronyism is criminal. Do you think Biffo got a top job with Topaz based on his drunken radio interview or crashing of the economy?
    Brian Cowen and former AIB boss appointed to Topaz board
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0502/614943-topaz-energy-board/

Nothing criminal there.

You might think so but however bad that is, it would also be true to say that economic decline accompanied by worsening social outcomes is a bigger failure.

That is where we are now compared to February, and that first part - economic growth - is where most people will be at, come the next election.

Is this the same economic growth we heard tell of as we broke records on the number of homeless children, homeless in general or people waiting on hospital trolleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Bowie wrote: »
    No not at all. If you recall we also discussed that not all cronyism is criminal. Do you think Biffo got a top job with Topaz based on his drunken radio interview or crashing of the economy?

Nothing criminal there.

If Biffo got the job because he made decisions that favoured Dinny (effectively a bribe), how would that not be criminal?

Let's gloss over record breaking crisis in Housing and Health and revert to some bile about being embarrassed internationally.

The only reason that there's a housing "crisis" is 100% down to Erica Fleming and Margaret Cash McCarthy. They showed that short term pain led to long term gains. ie a foreva home.

The only reason that there's a housing "crisis" is 100% down to Erica Fleming and Margaret Cash McCarthy. They showed that short term pain led to long term gains. ie a foreva home.

This is Regina Doherty level derision and demeaning to defend. Excellent comeback in that tradition.

christy c wrote: »
    If Biffo got the job because he made decisions that favoured Dinny (effectively a bribe), how would that not be criminal?

You should back up that inference or withdraw it.
    Doing a pal a solid can be just that. Was Varadkar trying to bribe Trump when he called Clare Co.Co.? Was Lowry taking a bribe when he awar...oh, wait.
    I'm sure the AIB lad had more than AIB melting down on his C.V..

Christy, I get the impression you are more interested in trying to trip me up than discussing anything. Each to his own.

• Advertisement

No regard for the working tax payer who needs state aid to make rent. #veryvaradkar

The numbers are growing too. You can tell by how FG fares in elections.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement