Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Munster: Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Sammy Arnold, Jaco Taute (C), Alex Wootton; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Jeremy Loughman, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Darren O’Shea; Fineen Wycherley, Conor Oliver, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Mike Sherry, Dave Kilcoyne, Ciaran Parker, Gavin Coombes, Tommy O’Donnell, Neil Cronin, Bill Johnston, Shane Daly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Munster: Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Sammy Arnold, Jaco Taute (C), Alex Wootton; JJ Hanrahan, Alby Mathewson; Jeremy Loughman, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Darren O’Shea; Fineen Wycherley, Conor Oliver, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Mike Sherry, Dave Kilcoyne, Ciaran Parker, Gavin Coombes, Tommy O’Donnell, Neil Cronin, Bill Johnston, Shane Daly.

Pretty happy with that team. First time Jaco as captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Great to see so many lads coming back from injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Great to see Tommy back fingers crossed he can get a run of games, he would be a much needed experienced level head

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ian Keatley effectively done so? 5th choice potentially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Yea I can't see us getting a win here. very good Ulster backline & enough grunt & quality up front to give them some ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Eod100 wrote: »

Interesting that Taute is playing inside centre, and also that he was named captain.
    I think his contract is up at the end of this season, so I hope he puts in a solid performance. He hasn't really gotten back to the level he showed when he first arrived at Munster so I'd be a bit concerned for him. He's still quite young at 27 and he is a big strong guy, but not convinced about his pace and his tackling recently, and he has a long injury record.

errlloyd wrote: »

You'd have to wonder alright, it looks like the coach has lost faith in him, or perhaps there is something going on behind the scenes that the fans don't know about.

You'd have to wonder alright, it looks like the coach has lost faith in him, or perhaps there is something going on behind the scenes that the fans don't know about.

I'd say the problem is that both JJ and Bill Johnston have more potential going forward. Keats is a great servant to munster but he will never be more than a good club player whereas if JJ gets settled in and a bit of confidence he could possibly push carberry and then Johnston is obviously the future

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    randomrb wrote: »
    I'd say the problem is that both JJ and Bill Johnston have more potential going forward. Keats is a great servant to munster but he will never be more than a good club player whereas if JJ gets settled in and a bit of confidence he could possibly push carberry and then Johnston is obviously the future
    it seems that Keatley is carry the can for the Rsacing loss last year..hes barely had a look in since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

John Hayes Ligind
    errlloyd wrote: »

And where's Bleyendaal in all this? Not getting a sniff at out-half and now Taute is playing 12??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

aloooof wrote: »
    Sorry, what? Are you suggesting teams should be signing players who are worse than they currently have?? :confused: Also, you do know the IRFU are involved in these signings, right?

The non-Irish player should be brought in for specific cover. Not when you have plenty of cover in those position and all it means is pushing an Irish player further down the pecking order.

Also I think everyone can agree the IRFU is involved, otherwise Munster would be full of over the hill Southern Hemp ex international. Anyone remember Stephen Moore and the up roar after Munster wasn't allowed sign him

Duncan Williams and James Hart are out of contract. Get your facts right please.

I don't think Mathewson will be kept on beyond this season FWIW.

Even if you lose both those players, Munster will still have 5 scrum halfs on the books.

So please explain why they need 5 players for 1 position? If they sign Matheson that will be 6 players for 1 position.

Can you explain so I get my facts right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Even if you lose both those players, Munster will still have 5 scrum halfs on the books.

So please explain why they need 5 players for 1 position? If they sign Matheson that will be 6 players for 1 position.

Can you explain so I get my facts right :D
    Murray misses large parts of season. Then there will always be 1 even 2 injured at any time. You're down to maybe 3 then and you have 2 in each match day squad....

The non-Irish player should be brought in for specific cover. Not when you have plenty of cover in those position and all it means is pushing an Irish player further down the pecking order.

Also I think everyone can agree the IRFU is involved, otherwise Munster would be full of over the hill Southern Hemp ex international. Anyone remember Stephen Moore and the up roar after Munster wasn't allowed sign him

Its not like we are swimming in non-irish players particularly in our starting team. Its easy to get caught up in whats written in the media by certain journalists but every team in the world relies on a group of non-native players at times. It pushes on the irish players to be better

Really seems like you're over-simplifying to Munster sign overseas play = bad; Munster don't sign overseas player = good. And getting angry about something that, in all likelihood, won't happen. (And fwiw, Nucifora is on record as saying he didn't block the Stephen Moore deal, Moore just didn't accept Munster's offer).

What positions do you think it acceptable for Munster to sign an overseas player?

So it is ok now if you sign a non-Irish player when they are deemed better than an Irish equivalent? Not sure the IRFU would see it that way

Mathewson was signed as injury replacement for Murray. Murray was back and he was signed again :confused: now your talking about another contract to cover the WC????

Currently Munster have 5 scrum halfs in the senior team, 2 in the academy and 2 in the A side. Ok Jack Stafford is in Academy and A side.

But why do they need 8 scrum half's? Why not give a chance to a young player....throw him in for one of the home Pro14 fixtures when the B team is sent over anyway???

Even consider the WC, Munster will lose 1 SH? so you will be left with 7 in the squad. Please explain why you would need 8?

Leinster, 3 Senior, 2 Academy

That's a total of 5.......with one joining Munster next season :p

Munster have the following scrum-halfs to consider at the moment:

Conor Murray - Lions Test Starter (contract recently extended to 2022)

Alby Mathewson - Capped All-Black (contract extended to March 2019)

Nick McCarthy - Transferring from Leinster at end of season (contracted to 2021)

Duncan Williams - Munster backup for 10 seasons (contract expiring June 2019)
    James Hart - Played Top14 for a few seasons (contract expiring June 2019)

Neil Cronin - Promoted from the AIL (contract recently extended to 2021)

John Poland - A Team
    Jack Stafford - Academy Year 2
    Craig Casey - Academy Year 2

My guess for next season is we would have the following:

Murray for Heineken Cup and big Pro14 matches
    Nick McCarthy covering for Murray during RWC and 6Nations and a few more Pro14 matches.
    Neil Cronin - A few starts in the Pro14 against weaker teams (Kings/Dragons etc).
    Jack Stafford - A few appearances off the bench in the Pro14 against weaker teams (Kings/Dragons etc).
    John Poland - A Team / Reserve
    Craig Casey - A Team / Reserve

Alby Mathewson - Will be released by April (Unless there are injuries)
    Duncan Williams - Will be released at the end of the season
    James Hart - Will be released at the end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Duncan Williams - Will be released at the end of the season

can't see it

I'd imagine one of the academy would be dropped first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Riskymove wrote: »
    can't see it

I don't know. Now that everyone is fit he's at the bottom of the pile again. Just like he was in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Deysel powered va JJ
    can't see it

They still have another year in the academy, they won't be dropped unless one is severely under performing and there's someone with more potential coming in from school/the sub-academy.

• Advertisement

James Hart - Played Top14 for a few seasons (contract expiring June 2019)

I think the below would be a better description:
    One of the Top 9 in Top14 and earned himself a move to Racing on the back of it.....had a top kicking ratio as well.

Brought back to Ireland by IRFU to challange Murray.

Has had a total of 16 games in 2 seasons for Munster. He played more for Racing in one season(19 games and 64 points).

Hopefully the IRFU move him to another province so he gets a chance to show what he can do

Has had a total of 16 games in 2 seasons for Munster. He played more for Racing in one season(19 games and 64 points).

You're counting this season as a full season here. It's completely disingenuous. Add to that, the Top 14 play 26 league games before the play-offs. The Pro14 play 21.

He did play more for Racing, but it's nowhere near as starkly different as you're making out.

can't see it

If there are long-term injuries to one of Murray/McCarthy/Cronin between now and next season then anything is possible.
    I'd imagine Mathewson is ahead of Williams in that scenario though.
    I think Stafford is certain to have another year in the academy, not sure about Casey though, and no idea what is coming up from under-age at scrum-half.
    I would imagine 3 senior scrum-halfs and 1 academy player nearing senior level is plenty.
    If they need any more for the A Team matches they can draft in players from the AIL.
    I'd imagine Duncan would go back playing AIL rugby and John Poland and Craig Casey would be extra cover as well.

I think the below would be a better description:
    One of the Top 9 in Top14 and earned himself a move to Racing on the back of it.....had a top kicking ratio as well.

Hopefully the IRFU move him to another province so he gets a chance to show what he can do

From what I've seen of Hart, and I really hoped he would be an improvement on Williams, he was below par any time he played. There were too many poor performances to overlook it and quote that he played for Racing etc. Best of luck to him at another club, but I would rather invest in Cronin and Stafford next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Every summer I go to Cork for a week and I have a Leinster jersey for each and every day!

You wear the same jersey for a week? You'll fit right in in Cork....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

John Hayes Ligind

Challenge Murray? In what, Scrabble?

Hart has been filler from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Apparently, Hart is looking to return to France. Shame it didn't go well for him.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Apparently, Hart is looking to return to France. Shame it didn't go well for him.

Well the problem is which province does he go to now? Cooney is starter for Ulster, Marmion for Connacht, Leinster have McGrath and JGP........

He wants to be starter and hugely rated in France so best option. It is a huge loss to Ireland and he should really have been moved to Ulster when he came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

He wants to be starter and hugely rated in France so best option. It is a huge loss to Ireland and he should really have been moved to Ulster when he came back.

He’s a Pro14 standard player at best, how is it a huge loss to Ireland :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Hayes Ligind
    Well the problem is which province does he go to now? Cooney is starter for Ulster, Marmion for Connacht, Leinster have McGrath and JGP........

Absolutely not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement