Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Deysel powered va JJ
    Hart wasn't the starter at Grenoble for his last two years at the club, and was 3rd choice for Racing fighting for the bench spot.

His time in France was definitely nowhere near as great as the Irish media made it out to be.

He'll go back to France and play ProD2. He couldn't even shift Williams from the bench, and then Cronin was starting ahead of him after being called up from the Pro14.

Never even remotely close to an Irish call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    If there are long-term injuries to one of Murray/McCarthy/Cronin between now and next season then anything is possible.
    I'd imagine Mathewson is ahead of Williams in that scenario though.
    I think Stafford is certain to have another year in the academy, not sure about Casey though, and no idea what is coming up from under-age at scrum-half.
    I would imagine 3 senior scrum-halfs and 1 academy player nearing senior level is plenty.
    If they need any more for the A Team matches they can draft in players from the AIL.
    I'd imagine Duncan would go back playing AIL rugby and John Poland and Craig Casey would be extra cover as well.
    Matthewson is ahead of Williams but Munster only have him until March and we shouldnt really be extending his contract beyond that.
    Charlie O Doherty, Newcastle West, Ireland under 18 clubs last year and u19s this season is a potential academy prospect for next season
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    Apparently, Hart is looking to return to France. Shame it didn't go well for him.
    Not sure many will look to sign him. He did well for part of season in France and his ability to goal kick helped get him media attention. simply wasnt good enough when here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think the below would be a better description:
    One of the Top 9 in Top14 and earned himself a move to Racing on the back of it.....had a top kicking ratio as well.

Brought back to Ireland by IRFU to challange Murray.

Has had a total of 16 games in 2 seasons for Munster. He played more for Racing in one season(19 games and 64 points).

Hopefully the IRFU move him to another province so he gets a chance to show what he can do

You're either related to Hart, haven't seen him play or you're on a wind up but he was never, ever going to be a player that would challenge Murray for top spot. There's a reason why he's had so few games for us and there's a reason we brought a player up from AIL as cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Josh Wycherley, LH and younger brother of Fineen, has joined the academy.

https://munsterrugby.ie/2018/12/20/academy-update-december-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kevin O'Byrne 2020
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2021
    Mike Sherry 2019

Diarmuid Barron Year 1
    Eoghan Clarke Year 1

James Cronin 2021
    Dave Kilcoyne 2020
    Liam O'Connor 2020
    Jeremy Loughman 2020

James French Year 1
    Josh Wycherley Year 1

Stephen Archer 2020
    John Ryan 2022
    Brian Scott 2020
    Ciaran Parker 2019

Keynan Knox Year 2

Tadhg Beirne 2020
    Billy Holland 2020
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    Darren O'Shea 2020
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 1
    Sean O'Connor Year 3

Arno Botha 2020
    Gavin Coombes 2021
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Dave O'Callaghan 2019
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2021
    Peter O'Mahony 2021
    Conor Oliver 2020
    CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 1
    Jack O'Sullivan Year 2

Neil Cronin 2021
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    James Hart 2019
    Alby Mathewson March 2019
    Conor Murray 2022
    Duncan Williams 2019

Craig Casey Year 2
    Jack Stafford Year 2

Tyler Bleyendaal 2019
    Joey Carbery 2020
    JJ Hanrahan 2021
    Bill Johnston 2020
    Ian Keatley 2019

Ben Healy Year 1
    Alan Tynan Year 2

Sam Arnold 2020
    Shane Daly 2021
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2020
    Rory Scannell 2021
    Jaco Taute 2019

Sean French Year 1
    Alex McHenry Year 2
    Matt More Year 2

Andrew Conway 2020
    Keith Earls 2021
    Stephen Fitzgerald 2019
    Mike Haley 2021
    Ronan O'Mahony 2019
    Calvin Nash 2021
    Darren Sweetnam 2021
    Alex Wootton 2021

Liam Coombes Year 2
    James McCarthy Year 2
    Jonathan Wren Year 1

2019/20
    IN: Nick McCarthy (SH, Leinster)
    OUT:

NIEs in 2019/20:
    Arno Botha (capped), Chris Cloete (uncapped)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Piote for Glaws and Garces for Exeter, I know Poite doesn’t really like us but he hates reffing the breakdown even more so we should aim to make a god awful mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Poorside wrote: »
    Piote for Glaws and Garces for Exeter, I know Poite doesn’t really like us but he hates reffing the breakdown even more so we should aim to make a god awful mess of it.

Sure no refs like Munster, hasn’t been a team more hard done by from refs in the history of the sport. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    stephen_n wrote: »
    Sure no refs like Munster, hasn’t been a team more hard done by from refs in the history of the sport. :rolleyes:

I've said it before, but this is just hyperbole too far in the other direction. So I'll add this too :rolleyes:

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Poorside wrote: »

Nah, Poite is grand. In the early days he was a bit pernickity, but he's loosened up a lot since then. People need to put the New Zealand game to bed, it was 10 years ago.

It's interesting that we'll have had Garces for Exeter home and away. Can't remember that happening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Why isnt Stafford being brought through - surely there isnt much of a gap between a starting irish u20 international and Cronin who is AIL standard at best and not a better long term option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Leinster have already given their 5th choice scrumhalf youngster some gametime this year Paddy Patterson

Why isnt Stafford being brought through - surely there isnt much of a gap between a starting irish u20 international and Cronin who is AIL standard at best and not a better long term option

Because the coaches who see them train every day think Cronin is better. Williams is ahead of him too. Playing u20 is no guarantee of making it as a pro (although I did like what I saw of Stafford last season).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cronin is a whole lot better than that. Unfortunately got injured very early in the season but the fact that he got a contract extension less than halfway through the season shows that he is considered a long term option

aloooof wrote: »
    I've said it before, but this is just hyperbole too far in the other direction. So I'll add this too :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic, don’t think those sort of posts warrant a sensible response. The truth is no refs dislike Munster, no refs ever set out to do Munster or any other team for that matter. All clubs have a certain cohort of fans who permanently complain about referees and their decisions. Lately though it seems like Munster have a disproportionate amount of fans feeling that seemingly every ref out there wants to do them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I was being sarcastic, don’t think those sort of posts warrant a sensible response. The truth is no refs dislike Munster, no refs ever set out to do Munster or any other team for that matter. All clubs have a certain cohort of fans who permanently complain about referees and their decisions. Lately though it seems like Munster have a disproportionate amount of fans feeling that seemingly every ref out there wants to do them.

Completely agree with the bolded part. But that can be true, and a referee can still have a poor performance. They're not mutually exclusive. And personally, I don't think Munster fans are any worse than fans of other clubs.

The criticism of the ref has been particularly visible this week because, essentially, Barnes and his AR's / TMO missed 2 red cards. (And that's not my opinion, that's the opinion of the EPCR who handed out the bans after the citings). Think of how infrequently this happens (I'd be interested in stats on it tbh) and that informs the level of criticism.

Anyways, personally, I'm looking forward to the Ulster game 2nite, hopefully it'll be a good game and we can move away from this topic.

Completely agree with the bolded part. But that can be true, and a referee can still have a poor performance. They're not mutually exclusive. And personally, I don't think Munster fans are any worse than fans of other clubs.

The criticism of the ref has been particularly visible this week because, essentially, Barnes and his AR's / TMO missed 2 red cards. (And that's not my opinion, that's the opinion of the EPCR who handed out the bans after the citings). Think of how infrequently this happens (I'd be interested in stats on it tbh) and that informs the level of criticism.

Anyways, personally, I'm looking forward to the Ulster game 2nite, hopefully it'll be a good game and we can move away from this topic.

Referees and their assistants have bad games, Wayne Barnes is the best ref in the world IMO but didn’t have a good game last week. That’s going to happen, what I was commenting on earlier though was the “we have such and such ref, he’s GOING to cause us problems”. Pre-emtively decideding refs are going to have a bad game, in favor of the other team thing that’s annoying. If a ref has a bad game it’s fair comment and we all have opinions on that. That’s not what the post I replied to was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

stephen_n wrote:
    Referees and their assistants have bad games, Wayne Barnes is the best ref in the world IMO but didn’t have a good game last week. That’s going to happen, what I was commenting on earlier though was the “we have such and such ref, he’s GOING to cause us problemsâ€. Pre-emtively decideding refs are going to have a bad game, in favor of the other team thing that’s annoying. If a ref has a bad game it’s fair comment and we all have opinions on that. That’s not what the post I replied to was though.

I actually was glad when Barnes was appointed. Like him as a ref. But to say he had a bad game is a massive understatement. He was dire. Him and his team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I disagree. I think all ref's dislike Munster and can barely disguise their efforts to aid their opponents.......It's only natural after all....Just because Munster fans are paranoid about it doesn't mean it's not true....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Two losses in a row. Soon to be three.

Panic stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

John Hayes Ligind
    Clegg wrote: »
    Two losses in a row. Soon to be three.

Panic stations.

JvG now has the lowest win % of any head coach at munster going back 20 years..... enough said really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

twinytwo wrote: »
    JvG now has the lowest win % of any head coach at munster going back 20 years..... enough said really.

In Rassie's eagerness to go, did he sell Munster a bit of a dud in Van Graan?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Hayes Ligind

Lies in the middle of a ref specifically hating Munster and the opposite?

:D

Ah Jaysus lads. Cop on a bit. Munster sent a scratch team to Ravenhill and came away with a BP. That's a decent result. If they lose then next two with the first XV, then maybe we can have a conversation. But let's wait until then.

Ah Jaysus lads. Cop on a bit. Munster sent a scratch team to Ravenhill and came away with a BP. That's a decent result. If they lose then next two with the first XV, then maybe we can have a conversation. But let's wait until then.

Leinster played scratch teams v Dragons and Ospreys and stuck 50 points on them. Munster play a 2nd string and they look lost. That's a concern when there doesn't appear to be much cohesion there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

A phenomenal result considering the refereeing.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Leinster played scratch teams v Dragons and Ospreys and stuck 50 points on them. Munster play a 2nd string and they look lost. That's a concern when there doesn't appear to be much cohesion there

The difference in squad depth between Leinster and most other teams explains that. No team in Europe has the depth that Leinster have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The difference in squad depth between Leinster and most other teams explains that. No team in Europe has the depth that Leinster have.

Precisely. Look at the conference B table. Both league points and points difference. Huge gap between Leinster and everyone else

This isn't about depth. There should be some level of continuity or pattern. Unable to go through half a dozen phases is basic stuff

Having so many half backs seems to create a whole lot of uncertainty too

Munster are kinda under a bit of pressure now next week. They really need the win and can't really come off the pitch without it - O'Mahony won't be able to look Reggie Corrigan in the face again.

• Advertisement

Munster are kinda under a bit of pressure now next week. They really need the win and can't really come off the pitch without it - O'Mahony won't be able to look Reggie Corrigan in the face again.

You're some bollix :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement