Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭yurtyaherne

Caranica wrote: »
    If you haven't left now and are coming from Leinster I'd park in town and walk out. You'll get away much faster. LIT likely to be full early

Park in the city, walk to Henry Street and get the 302 bus for Caherdavin or walk, its only about 20 mins. LIT will be full and even if not, its a nightmare get out of

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Howdy Munster heads. I come in peace.

Just wondering where would be the best place to park for the match tonight? I’m driving up and back to it.

I generally park around the street down from Ardscoil Rís but you would need to be there an hour before the game at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

https://dementedmole.com/2018/12/29/maintaining-a-lean-squad/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This is a very interesting read about squad sizes with a focus on Munster. Would have sworn Leinster had a bigger squad

As an Ulster fan, at the other extreme, relying heavily on Academy players and with now 1 NIQ, this made for very interesting reading. We've lost Schalk Van Der Merwe, Rodney Ah You, Chris Henry and Peter Browne since September alone. I'd argue that we are too far along the other end of the spectrum, and are less "lean" than "threadbare". But it was determined that at the end of last season, an industrial-strength clear out was happening - maybe something Munster could do with. What do Munsterheads make of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

As an Ulster fan, at the other extreme, relying heavily on Academy players and with now 1 NIQ, this made for very interesting reading. We've lost Schalk Van Der Merwe, Rodney Ah You, Chris Henry and Peter Browne since September alone. I'd argue that we are too far along the other end of the spectrum, and are less "lean" than "threadbare". But it was determined that at the end of last season, an industrial-strength clear out was happening - maybe something Munster could do with. What do Munsterheads make of it?

It will happen by next season.
    I would expect the following will be left go by the end of this season:
    Backs: Mathewson (SH), Hart (SH), Keatley (OH), Taute (C), R O’Mahony (W).
    Forwards: Sherry (HK), Seán O’Connor (Academy year 3 - Lock/Backrow), O’Callaghan (Lock/Backrow).
    That would leave room for a few academy players to get game time if they are good enough to step up.
    Botha will have one more season as the only NIE.
    Kleyn and Marshall will become IQ.
    Cloete will be the only senior project player left with one year left by that time.
    Also, the academy has become more streamlined, and also the A team has a few AIL players not contracted to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

John Hayes Ligind
    https://dementedmole.com/2018/12/29/maintaining-a-lean-squad/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This is a very interesting read about squad sizes with a focus on Munster. Would have sworn Leinster had a bigger squad

Leinster probably use more academy players I'd say is the difference. I thought it was an interesting piece, it's hard to rationalise Munster having a squad that size when the minutes played figures are given.

One or two quibbles though, for all the focus on Keatley he is being cut from the squad, but he has a contract to see out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭budhabob

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Well impressed with Wincherly the last few weeks, nothing spectacular, but quietly getting on with his business and not looking out of his depth in any way!!!!! After hearing all the hype, it's great to see him grasp his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Leinster probably use more academy players I'd say is the difference. I thought it was an interesting piece, it's hard to rationalise Munster having a squad that size when the minutes played figures are given.

One or two quibbles though, for all the focus on Keatley he is being cut from the squad, but he has a contract to see out.

No -everyone does. That was the point of the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Disappointed in the way Munster are utilizing Rory Scannell this year.

He is absolutely built for playing as a 2nd playmaker, even stepping in as first receiver and distributing the ball.

That could free up Joey to attack the outside channels

Munster seem to only use him as a crash ball merchant this season. Which he isn't bad at but he's not Chris Farrell

Missing Zebo too who would offer himself as first receiver and had a great range of passing.

I'm pretty sure Haley used to pop up in the line Sale for sale as a 2nd receiver but I have not seen him do it for Munster yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

I think we need to realise that we have a still new half back partnership... we're heading into 2019 and this was only Murray's 3rd start of the season?
    We've a run of games coming up where patterns and plays can be worked upon, but it has to start happening now for the backs.
    Victories are built by your forwards...and they won that battle last night...kept their collective cool...got their Leinster counterparts rattled...and that was the winning of the game right there.
    As for the ref...he had a good game...my only comment is that he probably tried too hard to keep Furlong on the pitch, imho that was a red card all day long, Frank was a little too even handed on that call....but all in all...he handled a difficult game quite well I thought.

https://munsterrugby.ie/2018/12/31/squad-update-pre-connacht-2/?_ga=2.62396780.1758043304.1546259838-1841986196.1522064652

Following the game vs Leinster, Chris Cloete was brought to hospital for assessment. Initial investigations were normal but he will undergo further assessment this week to determine the extent of his neck injury.

The following are progressing with rehabilitation: Brian Scott (foot), James Cronin (leg) Jack O’Donoghue (knee), Dave O’Callaghan (foot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

https://munsterrugby.ie/2018/12/31/squad-update-pre-connacht-2/?_ga=2.62396780.1758043304.1546259838-1841986196.1522064652

Following the game vs Leinster, Chris Cloete was brought to hospital for assessment. Initial investigations were normal but he will undergo further assessment this week to determine the extent of his neck injury.

The following are progressing with rehabilitation: Brian Scott (foot), James Cronin (leg) Jack O’Donoghue (knee), Dave O’Callaghan (foot).

I was really hoping it was just a concussion to be honest, a neck injury sounds bad.

He got at least 3 separate medic instances,
    1st was Rory O’Loughlin elbow into the head, probably accidental,
    Second was Fardy,
    Third was Furlong.
    Each time he seemed to need his neck to be checked.
    Certainly the Fardy one seemed to bend his spine in a very awkward way.
    I hope he isn’t out for too long, but I’d imagine a month or so minimum if it was bad enough to be rushed to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He got at least 3 separate medic instances,
    1st was Rory O’Loughlin elbow into the head, probably accidental,
    Second was Fardy,
    Third was Furlong.
    Each time he seemed to need his neck to be checked.
    Certainly the Fardy one seemed to bend his spine in a very awkward way.
    I hope he isn’t out for too long, but I’d imagine a month or so minimum if it was bad enough to be rushed to hospital.

He wasn't rushed to hospital. Munster say he was taken after the game. Which was at least an hour after he left the pitch.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    He wasn't rushed to hospital. Munster say he was taken after the game. Which was at least an hour after he left the pitch.

That’s a good sign alright, fingers crossed it’s a short injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Brilliant article. To add to it, I've hated everything that I have heard about Munsters plans for improving the quality and volume of home grown players, it's all about the club game and hearkening back to some mythical mighty Munster club rugby dream team that never actually existed in the professional era. Quinlan runs through the typical plan here:

There is always an opportunity to hoover up a few talents from the club teams but the huge majority of the players have come through the (limited number of) schools. The schools set up gives players more training time with better coaches in a more professional environment and pits them against a higher level of competition. Munster should be trying to bring in schools from a more diverse background, we are already seeing the fruits of Bandon coming on the scene in the Munster Senior Cup. I can only speak for Cork because its where I live but there are numerous new schools planned to open in the next few years, Munster should be sending coaches into those schools to develop them in a similar way to Bandon. Who cares if they are not private schools? Rugby is at a huge high in the public conscious now and Munster should be taking advantage. Like the article says, there is far too much sentiment and tradition at Munster, there needs to be more practicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

snotboogie wrote: »
    Brilliant article. To add to it, I've hated everything that I have heard about Munsters plans for improving the quality and volume of home grown players, it's all about the club game and hearkening back to some mythical mighty Munster club rugby dream team that never actually existed in the professional era. Quinlan runs through the typical plan here:

There is always an opportunity to hoover up a few talents from the club teams but the huge majority of the players have come through the (limited number of) schools. The schools set up gives players more training time with better coaches in a more professional environment and pits them against a higher level of competition. Munster should be trying to bring in schools from a more diverse background, we are already seeing the fruits of Bandon coming on the scene in the Munster Senior Cup. I can only speak for Cork because its where I live but there are numerous new schools planned to open in the next few years, Munster should be sending coaches into those schools to develop them in a similar way to Bandon. Who cares if they are not private schools? Rugby is at a huge high in the public conscious now and Munster should be taking advantage. Like the article says, there is far too much sentiment and tradition at Munster, there needs to be more practicality.
    The majority have and havent come through the schools in the Munster schools cups. Many have played youths rugby as well or moved to the rugby schools at 16/17.
    In Limerick all the biggest and main schools are the rugby schools and plenty will play a lot of youths rugby where they can
    The Munster team that emerged in 99/2000 etc was older than many with quinlan, foley and that side did come through club game. Like i have a signed shannon programme from one of their 4 in a row AIL sides with a pack that included Horan, Hayes, Galway, Foley, Quinlan, Eddie Halvey

Getting new schools isnt the answer for Munster. The youths game and the Munster Cup/Plate/Bowl structure that is in place is where Munster can really develop much more players for the pro game and for the adult game for the sport in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,820 ✭✭✭✭phog

Match thread got locked before I got a chance to comment on it- I'll skip the contentious bits and make general comments on the game.

I absolutely hated the first half, aside from us being ahead there was nothing in it for a paying spectator. A guy near me said it took 58 minutes to complete :eek:

Aside from the result the real winner for me was Wycherley, he was awesome. Earls tackled like his life depended on it, his intercept was the icing on the cake.

I'm just delighted we won, we needed it and results elsewhere makes our conference much closer and gives a few teams a chance at topping the table.

Another huge game next week but lets savour this win til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lads, I've been binge watching a tv show on Amazon called Red Rock.
    I see JVG has a side nixer, he stars as Garda Paudge Brennan!!!
    Anyone watch the show?

My hope for the team for Connacht:
    Loughman, Marshall, Archer, O’Shea, Holland, O’Mahony, O’Donnell, Botha, Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Wootton, Taute, Farrell, Sweetnam, Coombes.
    Subs: Scannell, Kilcoyne, Ryan, Wycherley, Oliver, Cronin, Hanrahan, Arnold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Loughman, Marshall, Archer, O’Shea, Holland, O’Mahony, O’Donnell, Botha, Mathewson, Bleyendaal, Wootton, Taute, Farrell, Sweetnam, Coombes.

I think you'll see a much stronger team than that. The word was players could play 2 of the 3 interpros and 13 players were rested for the Ulster game. Plus we generally don't rest players the week before Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend
    Not a bad selection. I'd have Goggin at 12 myself. We really need to give CJ a rest, he put in a serious shift as captain. Are Farrell and Tommy available? That's some boost.

I expect we'll see the European lineup minus one or two. Mike Haley is a player that might need a rest after six consecutive starts, Conway could move to 15 with Sweetnam starting on the wing. Munster can't afford to send a second string and give Connacht a leg up in the Conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I expect we'll see the European lineup minus one or two. Mike Haley is a player that might need a rest after six consecutive starts, Conway could move to 15 with Sweetnam starting on the wing. Munster can't afford to send a second string and give Connacht a leg up in the Conference.

I'd say Conway could himself use a rest, that was a nasty fall he had there. Haley seems to get better and better with a run of games under his belt, but he does have to cover a lot of ground.

Not a bad selection. I'd have Goggin at 12 myself. We really need to give CJ a rest, he put in a serious shift as captain. Are Farrell and Tommy available? That's some boost.
    Yes, Chris Farrell and Tommy O’Donnell are both available.
    I think they’ll both start, as well as Rhys Marshall who is also available now.

Yeah, Van Graan saying on the latest team update that he will not make many changes and will rotate among the 23 in prep for Gloucester so it could be a lot stronger than I’d postd, but I think it would be wiser to give guys a rest now and go back to back full team for the last two rounds of the pool matches.
    What do you expect Van Graan to select?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, Van Graan saying on the latest team update that he will not make many changes and will rotate among the 23 in prep for Gloucester so it could be a lot stronger than I’d postd, but I think it would be wiser to give guys a rest now and go back to back full team for the last two rounds of the pool matches.

As I said above, they already had a rest against Ulster.

Something like:

Kilcoyne, Marshall, Ryan, Beirne, Kleyn, POM, TOD, Stander;
    Murray, Carbery, Earls, Arnold, Farrell, Sweetnam, Conway

Scannell, Loughman, Archer, Wycherley, Botha, Cronin, Johnston, Wootton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'd give Stander the week off, but otherwise would be happy / wouldn't be surprised to see a team like the above. Mathewson and JJ probably sneaking onto bench though.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 23,820 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think you'll see a much stronger team than that. The word was players could play 2 of the 3 interpros and 13 players were rested for the Ulster game. Plus we generally don't rest players the week before Europe.

I think we have to send a strong team to Galway, we're neck and neck with them for 2nd spot, a win would be a huge result for us, a LBP would even be ok if we only let Connacht get 4 points from the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Return of the JJ
    phog wrote: »
    I think we have to send a strong team to Galway, we're neck and neck with them for 2nd spot, a win would be a huge result for us, a LBP would even be ok if we only let Connacht get 4 points from the game.

It's one of those games where you want both teams to score 4 trys regardless of who wins. I'd rather bot irish teams stay in the top 3 (and hopefully catch glasgow.

I imagine CJ either gets the week off or he might bench. POM, TOD & Botha is still an excellent back row.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement